Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. My fiancé has lost over 50lbs and people have been telling her she is withering away and she needs to stop losing weight. Fuck off and keep your opinion to yourself.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
It is annoying as fuck when you're meeting someone new and all they talk about is the gym. Like how much more boring and vapid a person can you be that this is what consumes you to the point you can't talk about anything else?

Being healthy shouldn't be a hobby, it should be just something you do because you should do it. It's like breathing oxygen, everyone should do it but I don't want to talk to you about how much you breathe oxygen.

But working out is totally fine and if it makes you happy by all means do it. I work out I just don't want to talk about it, it isn't interesting.

i'm in the middle of the road on this one. fitness kind of straddles both hobby and necessity, depends on who you're talking to

i'm guilty as charged because like 90% of my anecdotes are "at the gym the other day..." but eventually i realized how it lame that can be. like when your friend goes on and on about a crazy dream he had but you'd rather listen to paint dry

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
oh its quite true

ive had a couple of asshole dudes here on Era take jabs at me for my avatar. which is one of the pussiest, douchiest moves for a man to make. they know who they are and i hope they're reading this. fuck y'all.

1_(1).jpg

There are better ways to make this point.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. My fiancé has lost over 50lbs and people have been telling her she is withering away and she needs to stop losing weight. Fuck off and keep your opinion to yourself.

Yep my wife gets this whenever she's committed to a diet or exercise regimen.

She's either starving herself or killing herself with working out.

Automatic sabotage.

I keep telling her it's not you it's about them and their insecurity.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
it's totally real

I heard "you're too skinny" constantly for 20 years

well now i'm fat and get the "you look like you've lost weight!" treatment every time I see someone. which I haven't, so that feels GREAT

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
it's totally real

I heard "you're too skinny" constantly for 20 years

well now i'm fat and get the "you look like you've lost weight!" treatment every time I see someone. which I haven't, so that feels GREAT

You look great, buddy. Don't let anybody tell you different. My binoculars see the truth.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't call it shaming, but I always find it amusing how people feel at greater liberty to make your body a topic of discussion if you're in shape.

I exercise regularly. I'd say I'm in decent shape. Co-workers regularly discuss and critique my body whether it's at a happy hour or just in the office kitchen.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Just wait until you get a minor injury from working out. You get scolded for being irresponsible because you missed a day of work.

Dec 31, 2017
Have been working out regularly for years. Have never been "fit shamed" apart from the odd remark from my grandma that I don't have enough fat on me.

But the demographics of college/grad school and big cities are overall much more fit that other areas of the country.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
oh its quite true

ive had a couple of asshole dudes here on Era take jabs at me for my avatar. which is one of the douchiest moves for a man to make. they know who they are and i hope they're reading this. fuck y'all.
lmao your abs must have triggered some posters 😂 fucking lol. I wish I could see some of those posts hahaha

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I mean when you use the word "pussy" like that in 2019

i already addressed that it was wrong and edited. and don't back pedal, you were implying that i've only used this picture of me to impress you, that i'm just being a show off. that's not at all what i was doing and you're twisting my post unfairly

lmao your abs must have triggered some posters 😂 fucking lol. I wish I could see some of those posts hahaha

yep, seems like it is in this thread as well lol

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
This is sort of in the same vain, but not really. Is it okay for me to tell people to not get plastic surgery?

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
i already addressed that it was wrong and edited. and don't back pedal, you were implying that i've only used this picture of me to impress you, that i'm just being a show off. that's not at all what i was doing and you're twisting my post unfairly

I mean throwing that word in your post made the tone come off as condescending and hypermasculine to the point I couldn't read it any other way, lol

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I mean throwing that word in your post made the tone come off as condescending and hypermasculine to the point I couldn't read it any other way, lol

is there not such a thing as learning you need to correct learned behaviors? i've done that and stated as much and you're you're not listening to what i'm saying right now.

you twisted my post and that was a dick move. my avatar is me. it's the way i look. i didn't post it there or repsond to this thread because i need you to see it. it's there for me because i like and am proud of the way i look, which has all come to a ton of hard work and sacrifice. i don't need to you see or know any of that, but here you come along turning my post into something it's not, like at all. and now you'r grasping for anything to try and not look like an asshole. i'm thinking you need some behavior correction.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
is there not such a thing as learning you need to correct learned behaviors? i've done that and stated as much and you're you're not listening to what i'm saying right now.

you twisted my post and that was a dick move. my avatar is me. it's the way i look. i didn't post it there or repsond to this thread because i need you to see it. it's there for me because i like and am proud of the way i look, which has all come to a ton of hard work and sacrifice. i don't need to you see or know any of that, but here you come along turning my post into something it's not, like at all. and now you'r grasping for anything to try and not look like an asshole. i'm thinking you need some behavior correction.

Hey, calm down. I didn't see the edit but I hope you learned to remove that word from your vocabulary.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
First they ask you why you're doing it then they'll ask you how you did it.

She should ignore these dumb fucks

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
My grandma swore I was on dope when I got back in shape.

The funny part is I've never been "out of shape"....I've fluctuated between 170 - 185 for my entire life.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
oh its quite true

ive had a couple of asshole dudes here on Era take jabs at me for my avatar. which is one of the douchiest moves for a man to make. they know who they are and i hope they're reading this. fuck y'all.

Era dude here too. I'll send you the complete opposite and hit on you if that's okay?

/imtotallynotacreep

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Yeah it's mostly jealousy.

Everyone can shut the fuck up about crossfit though. Nobody cares that you do crossfit.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
I read somewhere a long time ago that friendships are based on appearances in some way, that you find friends that you think are equally as attractive to you, it made sense to me at the time, but in going with that you will often find that people don't want to be reminded that they could be doing better, and will sabatoge you if you attempt to change.

Basically they don't want to lose you as a friend and enjoy having you on the same "level" as them, and if you improve they might lose your friendship. I never checked into it much, and it might be coming from an old Tony Robbins book, but I have noticed over the years that the people that stop you from improving the most can be the people you think care about you the most (friends and family).

If anyone has anything proving/disproving it though i'd love to read it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call it shaming, but I always find it amusing how people feel at greater liberty to make your body a topic of discussion if you're in shape.

I exercise regularly. I'd say I'm in decent shape. Co-workers regularly discuss and critique my body whether it's at a happy hour or just in the office kitchen.

amen to that. like everybody i work with starts breakfast with donuts and churros, rounds out lunch with non diet soda and a super sized fast food meal, goes onto eat god knows what when they get home but if i come in looking a little bloated from a night of beer and hotwings or whatever slip up it's like OOH SHIT

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I get that. Used to weight 235. Im pretty tall ( 6'5" ) so I wasn't too large, but def had puffy cheeks and a tummy. Now down to 175 and deadlifting 300 / squatting 225 / bench pressing 185 with some abs showing thank you very much. I would not say I get people being hostile to me, but they definitely seem to view me with different eyes than before. Its weird.

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
Happened to me when I started getting a handle on my diet and working out. Coworkers freely commenting that I looked wrong, friends commenting that I was wasting my time and energy. Even had one 'friend' scream at me that I must have some psychological issues and need to sort that out before I destroy myself. That one was a doozie.

Later I helped out a coworker fix himself up. Gave him tips on how to understand what he was eating, he joined me at the gym, etc. Surprise surprise, he received the exact same miserable attitude from friends and family.

A lot of people don't want to face reality: someone getting better means they themselves are worse.

I'm not even going to write about how people close to me have reacted to my switch to a vegan diet, despite me being entirely silent and discreet about it. I've excised a lot of people from my life, for the better.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i get called names for running around the neighborhood cause of the fat ripples. I look like blubber in the wind while i run out of oxygen after running for 20 seconds. Id probably cause more damage if someone runs me over. Not the most inspiring.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You dont even have to go to the gym or anything to see this, just look at your coworkers faces when you pass on the pizza/donuts they bring to work.

Our food culture is fucked.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
i get called names for running around the neighborhood cause of the fat ripples. I look like blubber in the wind while i run out of oxygen after running for 20 seconds. Id probably cause more damage if someone runs me over. Not the most inspiring.
At least you're bettering yourself. You're already better than most of these people yelling at you for that reason.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
People have told me that my fitness lifestyle is too difficult and not worth it. They end up looking dumb when it's time to hit a pool party.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely happens but in my experience it's far more older generations who are larger and likely told by doctors and such over and over they need to lose weight. Obesity is also farm more normalized with them.

Friends and family near my age have always been supportive no matter their own weight.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I've always thought girls must be mad envious of my body when I was in my 20s. Always slim all around. I've been fit shamed and even told I should get fat.
I'd rather stay on the fit side of life.

Deleted member 59245

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
It is annoying as fuck when you're meeting someone new and all they talk about is the games. Like how much more boring and vapid a person can you be that this is what consumes you to the point you can't talk about anything else?

Being a gamer shouldn't be a hobby, it should be just something you do because you should do it. It's like breathing oxygen, everyone should have fun but I don't want to talk to you about how much Rathalos killed you or how many times you carted in Monster Hunter World.

But gaming is totally fine and if it makes you happy by all means do it. I game I just don't want to talk about it, it isn't interesting.
I see my post hit a nerve.

Instead of bad posts you should try hitting the gym to get out your frustration instead of wasting my time.

i'm in the middle of the road on this one. fitness kind of straddles both hobby and necessity, depends on who you're talking to

i'm guilty as charged because like 90% of my anecdotes are "at the gym the other day..." but eventually i realized how it lame that can be. like when your friend goes on and on about a crazy dream he had but you'd rather listen to paint dry
I enjoy talking fitness with friends. That's different. Obviously talking fitness is good because you learn new things as well.

At the end of the day personal fitness is a pretty self-centered concept. Which is fine, it's really important to care for yourself. It's when people become obsessed with it I have a problem. The more you obsess with it, the more it says you're obsessed with yourself, and in a mostly superficial way. I can't really vibe with people like that. I don't think we can have a healthy relationship in anyway.

I've met a lot of fitness junkies and some of them can literally barely function outside a gym. It's sad. I feel bad for them. They're great looking people on the outside, but on the inside they're dead.

Also for context I used to be extremely overweight as a kid and lost over 100 lbs, and I credit it to proper diet and excise. So take that for what you will.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see my post hit a nerve.

Instead of bad posts you should try hitting the gym to get out your frustration instead of wasting my time.

I enjoy talking fitness with friends. That's different. Obviously talking fitness is good because you learn new things as well.

At the end of the day personal fitness is a pretty self-centered concept. Which is fine, it's really important to care for yourself. It's when people become obsessed with it I have a problem. The more you obsess with it, the more it says you're obsessed with yourself, and in a mostly superficial way. I can't really vibe with people like that. I don't think we can have a healthy relationship in anyway.

I've met a lot of fitness junkies and some of them can literally barely function outside a gym. It's sad. I feel bad for them. They're great looking people on the outside, but on the inside they're dead.

Also for context I used to be extremely overweight as a kid and lost over 100 lbs, and I credit it to proper diet and excise. So take that for what you will.

Nya I just found your post funny. I don't know what is bad about people that love fitness as a hobby to talk about that. Where is the problem? Are you like this with everyone and their hobbys? You talk about fitness junkies, but that is the same with every other thing. Sounds more like you have a problem still. Also yeah I hit the gym and I don't need someone like you to tell me. :P

Deleted member 59245

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
Nya I just found your post funny. I don't know what is bad about people that love fitness as a hobby to talk about that. Where is the problem? Are you like this with everyone and their hobbys? You talk about fitness junkies, but that is the same with every other thing. Sounds more like you have a problem still. Also yeah I hit the gym and I don't need someone like you to tell me. :P
Yes I have a problem with people being obsessed with things. Do I really need to explain why?

Go do some pushups and stop talking to me.

I have you on ignore so you're better off not even replying to this because you're just yelling at clouds at this point if you do. Thank you, bye.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
My parents were horrible about this.

I've lost about 70 pounds from my heaviest and cut out most junk food, snacks and soda in the process.

I got a lot of shit for not wanting to scarf down a pizza on a random Tuesday night once (It's not that I won't eat stuff that's bad for me, but it better be like Saturday with buds). Working at home is a lot easier for me than being in the office. Man, people brought so much garbage food in and there was always a real pressure to eat so-and-sos special cake or donuts or whatever the hell. Working from home and having a wife that is pretty health-conscious has been fantastic for my weight loss.

I've absolutely gotten shit for the level of my workouts being bad for me. Which is hilarious as my resting heart rate dropped, I stopped snoring, I have higher energy levels and generally just feel better all around.

Most of my friends and family have been extremely encouraging, but my parents were very much not so, and it was 100% because my decisions were a mirror to poor habits of their own for most of their adult lives.
I think people are afraid that you're judging them when you don't partake in their fast food free for alls. I get around that by intermittent fasting. So I still eat and drink all the garbage people get to celebrate this or that but I don't gain any weight from it. You can't really do much damage on one meal.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously fat-shaming is bad, but people have taken it way too far in the other direction.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Maybe I'm just weird but just tell them to fuck off and mind their own business ? Why let something like that actually effect you if its what you want to do.

My dad jokingly makes fun of me for being skinny and I clap back with fat jokes but like I couldn't imagine actually putting up with that if he was serious