• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the exact place I was when I read about his death. I was stood at a gig and quickly checked Twitter during downtime. Felt like I'd been hit by a truck. So weird, I rarely get like that with people I don't know. I guess hearing his voice every Tuesday (plus all those GB videos) on my commute for x amount of years made him a part of my life in a little way.

Miss him tons.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
He was a funny motherfucker.

Current giantbomb would have him shaking his head in disgust as it has become a disreputable den of anime, Dark Souls and Monster Hunter fans.

Nah he'd be proud as hell of course!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like Ryan is helping guide GB into the dank miasma that is anime because he was always truly the real anime editor.

Miss him all the time.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that it has been five years already. I loved all his videos about movies about video games and game-related things....

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. This happened not too long after I started following Giant Bomb in a big way. I was going through their podcast archive at the time, probably deep into the second or third year of the site. It was a little shocking how affected I was by his passing. I've never felt true, personal grief about a celebrity death the way I did with Ryan.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I barely saw any GB content besides some highlights of his, but I vividly remember reading the thread on the old place during a lunch break at work. It was only after that I started to pay more attention to the site.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I wasn't a huge GB guy around then but the fact his death was probably preventable with some lifestyle changes was definitely a kick in the nuts to myself to stop being so sedentary and actually exercise at least a few hours a week.

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe. Dude was so entertaining. Sorely missed, but odds are he is looking down with a big smile.

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
His death hit so hard for someone I never personally knew. Was sad they cancelled GB coming to PAX Aus but I remember just feeling so bad for his wife and friends.

He was so damn good at his job and his chemistry with Jeff was amazing. Rest in peace duder. You left the world a lot better/happier than how it was before you came into it!

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hit me pretty hard. I think that was the first death I've experienced since the podcast era began, and you really get to know people through that format.

Gone, but never forgotten. RIP Ryan.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not one to outwardly react to death, especially if it's someone I never knew personally, like all the celebrity deaths over the past couple of years, but Ryan's passing hit me like a sack of bricks. I had been following him and the OG staff of Giant Bomb for years, since I was a little shit bag teenager on the forums of Gamespot. I remember having to go listen to the Bombcast following his passing in an isolated room just to make sure no one would see me lose it.

RIP Ryan

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The podcast after his death was so sweet and so heartbreaking. I've never revisited it, but maybe I will tonight.

edit: Does anyone know how his wife is doing?

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
He was honestly a world class talented host/presenter. He could talk to anybody, keep things moving in any situation.

Sad that he's almost never mentioned by the Giantbomb crew.

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is gonna sound weird, but his death got me into Giant Bomb. I knew who he and the guys from GB were, but I never saw any of their content. When he passed, I listened to the podcast they did after his death and thought "this guys are so different to everyone on this industry" based on how honest and heart felt that podcast sounded. Since that day I've following Giant Bomb and loving every second of it, and at the same time, I've been watching old Ryan stuff on youtube. He was an absolute treasure from what I've seen.

RIP Ryan, you wonderful, beautiful bastard.

I can sort of relate. While I followed Giant Bomb from the start thanks to being a fan of Gamespot's On the Spot (of which many of the current GB crew were a part of), there was a period when I stopped following games media altogether (including GB). Only after hearing about Davis' passing did I start listening to the Bombcast and I guess following GB again.

Some of the shit Jeff and him did on camera was priceless

RIP Nachoboss

ueh19

Banned
May 23, 2018
HIS death was the very first thing i ever SAW the first time i used Reddit, RIP! Ryan was so awesome

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I started watching Giant bomb with E3 2011 and it's weird when sometimes I realize that I've watched Giant Bomb longer without him than with. Of course once I got into them I went back and watched the years of content I'd missed but still. I also remember the episode of Gametrailers TV when they found out about his death during filming and Micheal Pachter started getting chocked up talking about him. Dude made a serious impact.

Not long before his wedding I made him and his Beyonce a couple of Lego models. Mario in Kuribo's shoe for him and Ms. Pac-Man for her and it was neat to see them in a couple of videos and on twitter.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The podcast after his death was so sweet and so heartbreaking. I've never revisited it, but maybe I will tonight.

edit: Does anyone know how his wife is doing?
I follow her on Twitter. She is doing well, I recently saw her talking about taking a trip to celebrate their 5th wedding anniversary.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I heard of GB was when his death was announced. I then listened to the episode where they announced his death and man it was powerful. I didn't even know of his work and yet it touched me.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I still remember playing Fallout 3 on the 360 and catching up on the Bombcast. I used to watch their videos constantly. That original crew will never be touched, even now it's tough to get into listening to the new crews like the way I did before. So many memories man. (P.S. China Don't Care)

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got one of the jerseys and it's TASWELL 79 and I framed it. Hockey jerseys aren't for me but it seems like a cool honoring.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude was a legend. One of only two things in the community to ever really "hit" me emotionally. (The other being the shakeup of 1up)

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Ryan was so great. Watching a little bit of the videos above opened a floodgate of memories. Giant Bomb was never the same without him. I still wish he was here today as he brought a very unique, intelligent, and hilarious voice to the site. I would definitely still keep up with GB if Ryan were still around.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
I'd followed him and Jeff since the early Gamespot days, and it was such a cool thing to see them start to really kill it at Giant Bomb.

I still remember reading the headline on the old site. Literally couldn't believe it. It still stuns me.

To be frank, I'd openly worried about his health for a long time, and I literally predicted (half jokingly) the exact scenario just days before his death. It still saddens me that such a vivid personality has been lost.

But his personality lives on through his work, which you're all sharing now.

GB has adjusted; they've grown in other ways. But to me, it'll never be what it was. And that's life.