Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to hear his reaction to Jeff and Dan starting an anime podcast. Miss you, big guy!
2512229-ryanlaugh.gif

Probably something like that.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I started watching Giant Bomb content just a few months before this happened off-and-on, but listening to how genuine and familial the reactions were after Ryan's death made me realize the site was something special. Surprised it's been five years already.

Everyone needs to be commended for how they've kept the site going strong ever since, though. I think Ryan would be happy with where they're at now.

Weirdly, I started watching GB a month or two after Ryan's passing. His death wasn't even really a factor either. It was more or less that my cousin had been talking about GB for years and he gave me his log in information to try some of GB's premium content. I think I started with UPF around early September 2013 and I've been a GB premium subscriber ever since then. It's always been interesting to, here and there, come across some stuff with Ryan in it. Even before GB Infinite I went back and watched some stuff with him like all of TANG, the Chrono Trigger Endurance Run, many of the earliest GB videos and just stuff like that and it was all pretty fun.

Interesting observation: in 2013 & 2014 Jeff and Brad were both probably at their biggest weight wise and in the past couple years both have very apparently made a concerted effort to stay active. Both Brad and Jeff have very obviously lost some weight and I can't help but wonder if Ryan's passing played some part in that for either of them. Jeff in particular has been impressive to see just how much thinner he is now than he was when I first started watching.

Last edited:

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
I miss him so much. He was the heart of GB for me. Rest in peace, you brilliant crazy asshole! Thanks for all the laughter, the banter and for This Ain't No Game.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
around the same time as ryan passing I graduated college, my best friend killed himself, my dog of 15 years got put down, and I was all alone looking for work cuz my folks were out of state dealing with a sick family member. all in the same month. weird how quickly time moves.

His death wrecked me to the point that I couldn't listen to or watch any Giant Bomb content for, like, two years.
Same. I still haven't listened to the episode where they discuss his passing, still not the same, but im really happy to still have GB around. though I do miss them talking more about random stuff / what they did on weekends and what not.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
My uncle passed away at the same age from sleep apnea complications back in the summer of 2008 and I think that plus the sheer amount of Giant Bomb content I was absorbing week after week made Ryan's passing hit me incredibly hard at the time. It was a weird feeling to reconcile also as no other, uh, "celebrity" death had ever made me feel that way. And "celebrity" is maybe the wrong word to use or maybe has other connotations, but fuck it, right now it kind of feels perfect: Ryan Davis brought joy and positivity and laughter to the lives of a lot of people and that makes his a life worth celebrating.

RIP Taswell.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I listen to old bombcasts at night as white noise to help me sleep. Ryan was such a great host. He made the funniest Quick Looks too. The Ryan/Vinny videos were hilarious. I miss him.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The best host of anything ever

GB is still going strong, but man, that golden lineup of Ryan/Jeff/Brad/Vinny was the greatest

Every so often I get the urge to listen through old Bombcast episodes, despite already going through that 2008-2012 era like five times. Here's to one more

RIP

Unfortunately this tweet probably contributed to shitbag GGers thinking they could co-opt Ryan
What in the fuck does this even mean

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best host of anything ever

GB is still going strong, but man, that golden lineup of Ryan/Jeff/Brad/Vinny was the greatest

Every so often I get the urge to listen through old Bombcast episodes, despite already going through that 2008-2012 era like five times. Here's to one more

RIP

What in the fuck does this even mean
Take it down a notch. http://jeff.zone/post/100323552101/ryan-would-be-so-disappointed-in-you-right-now
+
Anthony Burch being a favorite target of GGers

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Gosh, that feels like a lifetime ago.

• Alex was still on Screened and reviewed bad games for GB.
  • Vinny was just entering fatherhood with Rex.
  • Drew was on camera once every blue moon.
  • Spookin' with Scoops was still a thing.
  • Brad didn't play Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons yet.
Listening to the first Bombcast after Ryan passed was rough, but it did a lot to ease the pain of losing a voice that I'd grown accustomed to. RIP Ryan Davis!

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't start following GB closely until late 2014, and it's now my go to video game site, and I consume hours of content each week as a premium subscriber. As such, I missed the Ryan era. I've watched and listened to a good number of podcasts and videos featuring him since though, and it's quite clear why he was so highly regarded. His humor and charisma are abundantly clear, and it sounds like he was a genuine top class person.

May his spirit and memory continue to live on.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about not having Ryan around is not having him there to yell at Dan for...well pretty much anything Dan has said or will say

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I think 'Giantbomb' it's still Jeff/Ryan/Vinny/Brad/Drew to me. A combination of wild basement dudes that will never be matched and I can't remember a single moment when Ryan wasn't beaming.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The bombcast has never been the same. They do their best but his energy was so crucial to that show imo. When they do their next hires for the podcast they need someone that isn't half a sleep all the time and has some enthusiasm.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
The funniest , most charismatic person in the game industry. No one could compare to Ryan, and Jeff would probabaly agree with that. I still cannot watch 2013 ryan content . But I'll watch 2008-2012 ryan content forever .

Miss him all the time. Giant Bomb is still the best video game site in the world, but Ryan will never be forgotten.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
To this day, he's the only person that made it feel like I lost a deep and personal friend, despite having never met him.

He brought so much joy and happiness to everyone. He is missed dearly.

Thanks, Ryan.
I'm with you on this one. That day was heartbreaking. My wife even teared up a bit cause she listened to the Bombcast in passing through me. To this day, I have only listened to his memorial podcast once and I couldn't take it. His death totally felt like a long time homey had passed away.

RIP Ryan. Thanks for all the memories.

maped

Mar 7, 2018

Oh man, thanks for this. I've been listening to old bombcasts at work and just the other day was laughing my ass off when they were talking about the song and how Jeff fell out the car at the Walmart parking lot 'cos it was so funny. Listening to the old bombcasts really drivers home how good Ryan was at keeping it all going, he always knew when a bit was working and when to cut it short. I'm glad the crew eventually found a way to get back on their feet, he left huge shoes to fill.

I don't have any Eagle Rare, but I'll drink some whiskey to Ryan's memory. Or maybe some gin.

Last edited:

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Miss you Ryan. Would have loved to seen his reaction to Jeff's descent into Dragonball-dom.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The death that hit me the hardest, so goddamn sad and before his time. My avatar is in memory of him and something that I'll always use.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Just a good fucking dude.

I want to believe he'd be immensely proud of what Giant Bomb has become since his passing, even if it's very different.

RIP, you goddamn legend.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Followed the guys since the Hotspot days and then followed them over to GiantBomb.

Sorely missed, could always happily listen to that man talk about games and stuff.

Nov 3, 2017
I miss Ryan, i go back and rewatch the old Endurance Run and Whisky Media shows often.
I like to think he'd be pleased with where they are now and the banter betweeen Ryan and Dan would be legendary. I was watching the E3 "Pirates" skit as ihappened and would have loved to see Ryan's reaction and banter.

Thanks, Ryan.

May 5, 2018
I would probably never get into GB if it weren't for Ryan. He had such a great sense of humor and his charisma brightened up any stream or video GB did. He also had one of the most infectious laughs. Not to mention his love for certain games got me interested. Ryan's passions for XCOM Enemy Unknown is a big reason for me getting it and now it's one of my all time favorite games. I still follow GB to this day and love the current state, but Ryan was surely a special talent for the site and sounds like he was a great person. RIP Ryan. I hope you're listening to Dummer Jams in a better place.

AleeN634

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rider meet horse, horse meet rider. Still one of my favorite Ryan moments. RIP Ryan.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
This time of year is always hard for me now. He was such a huge inspiration and I found out about it at a 4th of July party, from someone who worked with GiantBomb on the tech side. I didn't want to believe it then but a few days later they announced it on their website.

Really hit me hard. Had to leave class. Went home and felt like one of my heroes had just vanished for no reason. Rest in peace, Ryan.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
No idea if it's been posted but my favourite moment has to be when Ryan flips his shit at Will Smith about how he pronounces executable.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah he's really missed. I forgot how shocked I was when I first found out. I'm not even sure it still quite normalized for me yet.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I remember swiping through Feedly on break at work and being totally blindsided by the news. It must have felt like torture for those guys to get through the Bombcast immediately following it, but they did an admirable job memorializing him. He was always super entertaining, I think he even retweeted some joke I made once. I've been so bad at keeping up with various media sources for so long that I'm probably still sitting on E3 podcasts, GOTY podcasts, and a slew of quick looks he participated in. He was a cool dude.

FantasyFreak07

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to believe it has been five years already. Ryan is truly missed. I'm glad that we have so many videos and podcasts to remember him by.

Ryan and Vinny were magical together.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I miss the dude, even little stuff like his way of purposely mispronouncing certain words. Always cracked me up.

Dir-IHSSS-ive

ZAMBIE

Sah-WORD

BEETA

Makes the EXECUTABLE debacle even funnier.

• Alex was still on Screened and reviewed bad games for GB.
  • Vinny was just entering fatherhood with Rex.
  • Drew was on camera once every blue moon.
  • Spookin' with Scoops was still a thing.
  • Brad didn't play Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons yet.
Listening to the first Bombcast after Ryan passed was rough, but it did a lot to ease the pain of losing a voice that I'd grown accustomed to. RIP Ryan Davis!

I will never relisten to that podcast. The first hour and change is an irish wake in the grand tradition but...you could tell the last 20-odd minutes were them painfully aware that when they stopped talking and took off the headphones that it would be the end of Ryan as an active part of GB. Can't, won't.

Oh man, thanks for this. I've been listening to old bombcasts at work and just the other day was laughing my ass off when they were talking about the song and how Jeff fell out the car at the Walmart parking lot 'cos it was so funny. Listening to the old bombcasts really drivers home how good Ryan was at keeping it all going, he always knew when a bit was working and when to cut it short. I'm glad the crew eventually found a way to get back on their feet, he left huge shoes to fill.

I don't have any Eagle Rare, but I'll drink some whiskey to Ryan's memory. Or maybe some gin.

Lookit him throw that back like a champ after the drama from Jeff!