• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
and playable Maiko, Tiki and Barry.
To be exact these characters will participate in the Session attacks, there's no confirmation that they will be fully playable and the way they describe their inclusion makes me thing about only the Session attacks:

"Also includes new elements that were not in the Wii U version. You can enjoy new "Phantom Ibunroku #FE" including new songs, new costumes, additional scenarios and additional dungeons. In addition, you can connect "sessions" longer than ever, by taking advantage of Maiko, Chiki, and Barry who are newly participating in battles."

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be exact these characters will participate in the Session attacks, there's no confirmation that they will be fully playable and the way they describe their inclusion makes me thing about only the Session attacks:

"Also includes new elements that were not in the Wii U version. You can enjoy new "Phantom Ibunroku #FE" including new songs, new costumes, additional scenarios and additional dungeons. In addition, you can connect "sessions" longer than ever, by taking advantage of Maiko, Chiki, and Barry who are newly participating in battles."
The footage shows them in armor during the battles and such. I'm pretty sure they are playable.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The footage shows them in armor during the battles and such. I'm pretty sure they are playable.
I'm pretty sure they're not. I mean, if the characters are playable, why does Nintendo describes their inclusion as " In addition, you can connect "sessions" longer than ever, by taking advantage of Maiko, Chiki, and Barry who are newly participating in battles". This feels too specific and basically confirms that they will only attack during sessions, if you're right and the characters are fully playable, this is really bad marketing from Nintendo.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure they're not. I mean, if the characters are playable, why does Nintendo describes their inclusion as " In addition, you can connect "sessions" longer than ever, by taking advantage of Maiko, Chiki, and Barry who are newly participating in battles". This feels too specific and basically confirms that they will only attack during sessions, if you're right and the characters are fully playable, this is really bad marketing from Nintendo.
Er...did you play the game? "Sessions" are just a mechanic in battle. Participating in battle means exactly what it says...participating in battles. Meaning in the party.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Er...did you play the game? "Sessions" are just a mechanic in battle. Participating in battle means exactly what it says...participating in battles. Meaning in the party.
I completed it. You can have a character appear in Sessions while not being in the party (in fact, as you may know, during battles even the characters that are not in the party, that has only 3 slots, appear on Sessions). For now, the only evidence we have is:

-Characters participating in Sessions in the reveal trailer (none of them was shown as a party member)

-A single sentence that specifies that the characters will be connecting in sessions

-A new "quick session" option can be seen in the trailer, if Session chains are longer it makes sense to include it (it made sense in the original game too tbh)

"Participate" means "help to do something", in this case all evidence leads to think that the help will be making longer Session chains. As I've said, we have zero evidence that new party members will be included, and their phrasing make me think against this idea, of course I'll gladly be wrong this time.

Oct 27, 2017
Something else is that session skills are learned the same way regular spell and attacks are learned. If they aren't playable how are they getting those?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Something else is that session skills are learned the same way regular spell and attacks are learned. If they aren't playable how are they getting those?
By completing their dungeon for example. We know the game has new dungeons, maybe completing them makes the characters awaken their Carnage form and then you have some new Sessions in the list. There's lots of ways of adding them, the way Sessions work make them super easy to add without adding the character to the fully playable roster.

Oct 27, 2017
By completing their dungeon for example. We know the game has new dungeons, maybe completing them makes the characters awaken their Carnage form and then you have some new Sessions in the list. There's lots of ways of adding them, the way Sessions work make them super easy to add without adding the character to the fully playable roster.
That just seems odd. Characters gain the session skills over time, building up the list over the course of the game. There's also some late game session skills they get later. Having the newcomers go from 0 to 100 would be weird. Why is the idea of them being playable so impossible? Making them playable just means some extra attack and idea animations for battle, along with a spell/ability list and stats. It's not much more work than they've already done. If they weren't gonna go all the way I don't see why they would have bothered. They could have just picked one them like Tiki to be playable and leave Barry and Maiko as npcs if it was a matter of resources.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
That just seems odd. Characters gain the session skills over time, building up the list over the course of the game. There's also some late game session skills they get later. Having the newcomers go from 0 to 100 would be weird.
Maybe they have a single session attack, the game already has a lot of them tbh.

Why is the idea of them being playable so impossible? Making them playable just means some extra attack and idea animations for battle, along with a spell/ability list and stats.
It's not, but all the marketing so far doesn't make me think they have created more playable characters. As I've said on older posts, the trailer didn't show any new character fighting and the official website specifies that "In addition, you can connect "sessions" longer than ever, by taking advantage of Maiko, Chiki, and Barry who are newly participating in battles" . It seems pretty clear to me, if they were fully playable they would have chose another phrasing. Also gameplay balance is a difficult thing, 3 new characters means thinking A LOT about how they fit within the existing cast.

If they weren't gonna go all the way I don't see why they would have bothered.
Because they wanted to make the other prominent characters have some participation during battles.

The main target of this game is players who didn't play the game on the WiiU, I don't see ATLUS developing lots of new content for the port tbh, and the way they announced the game makes me think that none of the new additions will be big.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Spamming that picture or gif doesn't make any of the changes less dumb.
You can think the changes suck, are terrible, whatever: but it doesn't make it censorship.

It's not even a technicality. There is absolutely nothing in the changes in TMS that can be considered "censorship" and calling it that only furthers dumb conspiracy theories about PC cabals and whatnot.

I myself don't care for the changes they did (the street punk Tsubasa look is really silly). But they never got even close to interfering with the game for me.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completed it. You can have a character appear in Sessions while not being in the party (in fact, as you may know, during battles even the characters that are not in the party, that has only 3 slots, appear on Sessions). For now, the only evidence we have is:

-Characters participating in Sessions in the reveal trailer (none of them was shown as a party member)

-A single sentence that specifies that the characters will be connecting in sessions

-A new "quick session" option can be seen in the trailer, if Session chains are longer it makes sense to include it (it made sense in the original game too tbh)

"Participate" means "help to do something", in this case all evidence leads to think that the help will be making longer Session chains. As I've said, we have zero evidence that new party members will be included, and their phrasing make me think against this idea, of course I'll gladly be wrong this time.
Yeah I know how Sessions work, increasing the number of playable characters increases the number of characters participating in sessions. They also specifically say 'participating in battle' and the footage shown suggests they are playable. You are making a lot of assumptions here.

Nov 17, 2017
The game was an unappealing product from the get go. The 5 people that wont buy it due to the changes are worth less than an impending shit storm of releasing a game with all intact and taking a hit to their brand image.
Do you really think there would be a shit storm though? Nintendo released Xenoblade 2 and its "shit storm" still resulted in the game selling over a million copies with Nintendo's brand image being just fine.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Do you really think there would be a shit storm though? Nintendo released Xenoblade 2 and its "shit storm" still resulted in the game selling over a million copies with Nintendo's brand image being just fine.

Who knows.

As far as XC2 is concerned though, the game really as a whole isn't as bad as forum people suggest when you're talking about controvery getting you in media trouble.

But like I have been saying over and over. Why do people think they are making these changes? For fun?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
They also specifically say 'participating in battle' and the footage shown suggests they are playable. You are making a lot of assumptions here.
The footage shows them participating in sessions, and the official website says that they will contribute to make sessions longer... I'm doing assumptions, but at least my assumptions are based on what they have shared and not on wishful thinking.

Nov 17, 2017
Who knows.

As far as XC2 is concerned though, the game really as a whole isn't as bad as forum people suggest when you're talking about controvery getting you in media trouble.

But like I have been saying over and over. Why do people think they are making these changes? For fun?
I would say the same for Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I really doubt the game would make much noise as is. TMS is super niche. It feels like the censorship conversation surrounding the game is only so loud because they made those edits in the first place. Without it, this very thread would probably not even be as long at it is. I don't think the game is going to get enough attention otherwise to bring this huge controversy down on Nintendo that tarnishes their reputation. It's a bit unrealistic.

As for why they're making these changes? We can all guess, unless we hear Nintendo give a reason then we can't know for sure. But based on other things Nintendo has put out, I really doubt they are worried about this game of all games dealing a ton of damage to their brand.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is a fantasy game in a fantasy setting with fantasy characters (most of whom the fanservice is centered around aren't even human).

TMS is set in modern Japan and having a gravure swimsuit photoshoot with a high school girl is infinitely more skeevy than anything in Xenoblade 2.
The footage shows them participating in sessions, and the official website says that they will contribute to make sessions longer... I'm doing assumptions, but at least my assumptions are based on what they have shared and not on wishful thinking.
It's not really 'wishful thinking' so much as you taking two lines of text and assuming one thing, and other people taking those lines of text and interpreting them differently. I think it's pretty straightforward saying they are playable but maybe I'm wrong.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
You can think the changes suck, are terrible, whatever: but it doesn't make it censorship.

It's not even a technicality. There is absolutely nothing in the changes in TMS that can be considered "censorship" and calling it that only furthers dumb conspiracy theories about PC cabals and whatnot.

I myself don't care for the changes they did (the street punk Tsubasa look is really silly). But they never got even close to interfering with the game for me.
I mean at that point it's just semantics.
You are criticizing people for the word they use to describe their problem with the game instead of argumenting why those were even necessary, cause they just weren't.
I don't think it's the worst thing in the world but they are just weird when you look at what other games Nintendo is localizing these days.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You are criticizing people for the word they use to describe their problem with the game instead of argumenting why those were even necessary, cause they just weren't.
I don't think it's the worst thing in the world but they are just weird when you look at what other games Nintendo is localizing these days.
But the word they're using is a word loaded against certain well meaning people. It's specifically a hot topic to throw in the face of people who want less lolis or more realistic women.

The word use does matter.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
But it's not just semantics. Like I said, the term censorship carries A LOT of baggage.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Encore lets us swap out itsuki during combat. I know he's supposed to be the main character but that was a really annoying limitation of the original game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
gonna be controversial and say games should not put high school students in what would be a stripper outfit in the real world

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Encore lets us swap out itsuki during combat. I know he's supposed to be the main character but that was a really annoying limitation of the original game.
Yeah. I loved rotating my team members, to keep the battles interesting, but having both him and Yashiro was a bit terrible since they were both Sword users. Would be great if we could switch him out - plus it would help to not make him overleveled.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

I completely forgot about this but yea this felt like a pointless holdover from mainline SMT where the protagonist death=game over. If the protagonist dying doesn't end the battle then there's no point to force them into every battle.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I am just asking myself if the original version wouldn't have gotten a Teen rating.
Do you think the changes affected the rating?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you mind about making teen characters less sexualized? Don't put yourselves at the level of the guy who complained about the removal of "vagina bones"

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My kingdom for a TMS thread that isn't 90% debates over localization changes.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I am just asking myself if the original version wouldn't have gotten a Teen rating.
Do you think the changes affected the rating?
It would have definitely still gotten a T rating even if they didn't make any edits. The Neptunia games used to show bare butts and cleavage and still got a T rating. The ESRB is actually much more lenient than people think when it comes to sexualization as long as there's no groping minigame or something.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TMS is no Atelier

highimpact.jpg

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It would have definitely still gotten a T rating even if they didn't make any edits. The Neptunia games used to show bare butts and cleavage and still got a T rating. The ESRB is actually much more lenient than people think when it comes to sexualization as long as there's no groping minigame or something.

Maybe they were worried about getting an M equivalent from CERO? Aren't they much more stringent when it comes to sexual content?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Maybe they were worried about getting an M equivalent from CERO? Aren't they much more stringent when it comes to sexual content?
CERO is only really strict when it comes to actual nudity, IE nipples/genitals. They are not allowed in console games at all in Japan, western games that have them are censored for the Japanese release. The Wii U version of the game received a CERO B in Japan, which means it's suitable for ages 12 and up.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Where have they ever said that? Everything they've stated has been that Atlus was responsible for the localization.
The Atlus USA rep at the time said Nintendo was responsible for the localization changes and to direct your questions to them because Atlus just translated the game. It was either on Twitter or GAF, I don't remember.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Just remembered that one of the reasons I passed on this was that they didn't bother to include additional languages besides English, and this time it seens like they decided to fix it... by including French and Chinese.

Maybe we'll get it Spanish for the Switch 2 port in 2026. Crossing fingers.

Edit: Now that I remember, Persona 5 and SMTIV didn't include it either, so if Atlus is handling the translations it makes sense, but I still don't get it since it's a Nintendo game, really. It feels like a distant dream to think that back in the Wii days we had several Trauma Center games translated.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly Twitter, but I see no trace.
The comment from Atlus PR:
Bottom line is this: even though it's published by Nintendo, it's still a product we developed, and for those who aren't bothered with the changes in the NA release will have something that appeals to Persona/SMT fans.

Haven't played it myself, but our loc team that worked on it really praised its combat system.

I'm not gonna comment on the game changes since it's not my place (Nintendo is the publisher), but I hope those that do pick it up enjoy it.

As far as why this is the first time we're acknowledging the game, please see my previous umpteen comments about Nintendo being the publisher.
No matter how you look at it, it would not make sense for Atlus to want to impose those changes. They do not do it for their own games. The game is published by Nintendo, not Atlus, so Nintendo would be the ones to dictate that kind of thing. And Nintendo has a history of doing this, while Atlus does not really.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
The comment from Atlus PR:

No matter how you look at it, it would not make sense for Atlus to want to impose those changes. They do not do it for their own games. The game is published by Nintendo, not Atlus, so Nintendo would be the ones to dictate that kind of thing. And Nintendo has a history of doing this, while Atlus does not really.

The Atlus USA rep at the time said Nintendo was responsible for the localization changes and to direct your questions to them because Atlus just translated the game. It was either on Twitter or GAF, I don't remember.

Found the actual tweet thread; the PR manager stated he doesn't know if it was Nintendo or Atlus JP that decided it.

So I was wrong it was Atlus USA, but it's still not clear if Nintendo or Atlus JP. It could be either one, really, considering other Atlus games have come out for Nintendo systems without changes.

Regardless, I think the game is a ton of fun and well worth playing. I kind of wish I hadn't actually played it yet so I could go in fresh with Encore, but I'm excited to see what they do with the new content. The game is long, but not as much as Persona 4, haha. I never got through Golden because of the sheer length, even with the new content...

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Found the actual tweet thread; the PR manager stated he doesn't know if it was Nintendo or Atlus JP that decided it.

So I was wrong it was Atlus USA, but it's still not clear if Nintendo or Atlus JP. It could be either one, really, considering other Atlus games have come out for Nintendo systems without changes.

Regardless, I think the game is a ton of fun and well worth playing. I kind of wish I hadn't actually played it yet so I could go in fresh with Encore, but I'm excited to see what they do with the new content. The game is long, but not as much as Persona 4, haha. I never got through Golden because of the sheer length, even with the new content...
Yeah I was looking through his Twitter yesterday to find it, but for some reason it wasn't letting me go back past a certain date. Like you said, the fact that other Atlus games have released on Nintendo platforms without changes makes me think it was Nintendo that decided on it since they had been doing it for other Wii U/3DS games they published. It sucks that the whole situation seems to be happening again since I really liked the game too.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

My wallet is feeling better now, no doubt left, no need to spend money on this (again).