• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, it's looking like they got allocated next to nothing.

There's some Basketball, Tennis, Rugby, Golf and actually quite a good selection of Athletics.

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bleh, what a scam. So, there were only... 4 tickets available per event and there wasn't even the whole calendar listed? Sigh

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck to all those sticking with it. Applied to a ton of tickets via Co-sport, a couple big events and many smaller ones. Got selected for one total event.

Not even going to try again. Instead, we're thinking of trying to plan a Japan trip around cherry blossom season. I'd literally go whenever, but the GF loves cherry blossoms, so we're shifting gears.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
At least you wont be melting your arse off like we will be. I'm legitimately worried about how hot it's going to be.

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck to all those sticking with it. Applied to a ton of tickets via Co-sport, a couple big events and many smaller ones. Got selected for one total event.

Not even going to try again. Instead, we're thinking of trying to plan a Japan trip around cherry blossom season. I'd literally go whenever, but the GF loves cherry blossoms, so we're shifting gears.

Same. I'm planning to go in April - early May. Hanami should be a sight to behold.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
You can only get 4-6 tickets or there's 4-6 tickets in total for the whole country? :P

4-8 tickets for each event for the whole country... (Rugby, Tennis and Athletics were the offers)...

pruebaolimpica03_3olkny.jpg

If the filling form from Cartan doesn't work, I'm going to take this route either (thinking on late November/early December)...

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
At least you wont be melting your arse off like we will be. I'm legitimately worried about how hot it's going to be.

I've got my big sun hat, portable fan, safari shirts, and lightweight cargo shorts at the ready. I will look incredibly unfashionable as a callback to the 1990's American tourist, but I will be very comfortable. I'm sure this cultural crime against fashionistas will be overlooked due to the heat.

OP
OP
Nephtes

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017

Same.
I cannot believe how ridiculous getting tickets and booking rooms was despite creating this thread and planning so far in advance.

The reality is, I just cannot justify spending the reseller prices for some of this. Especially the hotel rooms.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Well... Let's do some math?

There's approximately 7.8 million tickets in total. 70% goes to the hosting nation. Let's also say that 50% of available tickets to other countries gets bundled into packages (since they most assuredly make more money on that) and with 130+ countries...

Then on average each country would have 9000 tickets for normal sale.

If you crank the package tickets up to 80% to be more cynical, then 3600 tickets for each country. ;p

Same numbers for opening ceremony would give ~80 or ~30 tickets for each country.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I just looked at hotels. I'm working on the assumption that most places haven't opened up their availability yet as there's no way in hell everywhere is booked up already (people simply aren't that organised).

I guess I'll basically be checking daily for the foreseeable future.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that's my general experience. I think what I'll likely end up doing is booking a refundable (probably stupidly expensive) backup option, then searching all the time for better options.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
On the subject of hotels... can anyone recommend a good site that gives an overlay of where the tokyo subway runs? Will be useful for finding hotels near stops.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Found this whilst searching for hotels today. Might be worth considering before worrying too much about availiability...

Fujita Kanko Group hotels in the area of Tokyo, including Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo, are cooperating with the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics by complying with the request of related offices to provide advance room reservations to personnel during the preparations and staging of the Olympics and Paralympics. We expect to receive the reservation details from personnel around in Autumn of 2019, and as such we will not be accepting reservations for the period of July 10th to August 11th 2020 until around November 2019.

When the exact date to resume reservations for the period is decided, it will be posted on our official website.
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused to our guests, and ask for their understanding in this matter.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Organizers of the 2020 Olympics are set to announce a second ticket lottery for [people in Japan in] August, sources said Thursday, after millions of people were left disappointed when they missed out in the first.

organizers have decided to forgo plans to offer unsold tickets in fall on a first-come, first-served basis, choosing instead to hold another lottery due to concerns about a repeat of the heavy website traffic experienced at every stage so far.

Second-round lottery tickets will mainly be for qualifiers and first-round events, with organizers yet to decide on the sports and disciplines to be included.

Also:
Paralympic tickets will be available starting Aug. 22

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that's sensible. First come first serve is just going to suit people that can have a whole bunch of others trying to buy tickets for them.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
They updated the news with details about 2 more ticket lotteries:

Two more ticket lotteries for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics will be held for residents of Japan, after millions missed out in the first draw, organizers said Thursday.

The next lottery, in August, will be a "second chance" for those who were not allocated tickets when the results of the first one were announced on June 20, and will largely be for qualifiers and first-round events.

Since the lottery is only open to those who failed to obtain any tickets the first time around, people will only be allowed to apply for one session in a bid to keep the process fair.

A third Olympic lottery, open to all residents, will be held in the autumn.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just purchased my tickets from CoSport. I really hope there's no drama from this point onwards!

Edit - I wonder if there will be a public space where you can watch the opening ceremony. That would be cool!

Last edited:

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: OK, I found the order confirmation.

WHY DID NO ORDER CONFIRMATION SCREEN SHOW.
WHY DID THEY NOT SEND ME A CONFIRMATION EMAIL.

I can totally see why people really do not like Cosport man.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
EDIT: OK, I found the order confirmation.

WHY DID NO ORDER CONFIRMATION SCREEN SHOW.
WHY DID THEY NOT SEND ME A CONFIRMATION EMAIL.

I can totally see why people really do not like Cosport man.
Odd, my order confirmation screen worked perfectly, on two different accounts.

Had a very well laid out PDF order confirmation containing all the details too.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Roughly 3.2 million tickets were sold in the first phase of ticket sales for next year's Tokyo Olympics, the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee said Friday.

Japan residents who won the right to purchases tickets through the first-phase ticket lottery were required to complete their purchases on Thursday when organizers announced another round of sales for those who tried but failed to get any tickets in the first phase.

Hundreds of thousands of tickets will be available in August's "second chance" lottery, organizers revealed. However, tickets for the opening and closing ceremonies, and many finals are expected to be excluded.

Originally, organizers estimated they would have approximately 7.8 million tickets available for the games, which run from July 24 to Aug. 9 next year, but that figure is now expected to exceed 9 million, according to sources close to the matter.

Less than 10 percent of the tickets assigned in the first-phase lottery remain unsold.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Impressive. The organisation involved is mind-boggling.

Frankly I'd still be astounded if the tickets I've purchased actually turn up at some point!

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling for my friends in Japan who didn't win diddly squat. Hope the lottery works in their favor this time. Come and watch Handball with me, no one else is, apparently.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Thing is, there's clearly loads of availability for certain stuff. If you just want the experience (like me) then pick something not many people want.

I'm doing golf and beach volleyball!

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
Thing is, there's clearly loads of availability for certain stuff. If you just want the experience (like me) then pick something not many people want.

I'm doing golf and beach volleyball!

Protip: road cycling and marathon won't require tickets (probably). I'm sure there are other free events as well (sailing?)

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, Road Cycling is ticketed only for the stadium section.

That said, it's generally a fairly tedious affair unless you're able to get drunk and have a bit of a party. :)

I can't tell you how much I'd pay to watch the track cycling though. :(

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone have any suggestions for some good areas in Tokyo to stay in? I don't mind being a little outside the centre as long as there are good subway links nearby.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any suggestions for some good areas in Tokyo to stay in? I don't mind being a little outside the centre as long as there are good subway links nearby.

Asakusa is probably the cheapest area in central Tokyo to stay in. If you want to stay outside central Tokyo you could check along the Chuo Line in western Tokyo (probably not further out than Kokubunji , the Sobu Line towards the east (somewhere before Funabashi), or the Tokaido/Keihin–Tohoku Line towards Kawasaki and Yokohama.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Olympics is on my bucket list. I have pulled out of the past 3 Olympics after the eye watering costs and inflation during the games. I remember the Sydney games as a kid and the rampant price gouging encouraged by the IOC. I'm starting to think I'll never do a full Olympic experience

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Asakusa is probably the cheapest area in central Tokyo to stay in. If you want to stay outside central Tokyo you could check along the Chuo Line in western Tokyo (probably not further out than Kokubunji , the Sobu Line towards the east (somewhere before Funabashi), or the Tokaido/Keihin–Tohoku Line towards Kawasaki and Yokohama.
Cheers.

Will probably try to stay reasonably central as travelling to each event is going to burn through a lot of time even before travelling to the centre (aside from the couple that are outside). But if it comes to it, and I have no other choices, I'll take what I can!