• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Heh...

The International Olympic Committee announced Wednesday it is planning to move the 2020 Tokyo Olympic women's and men's marathons and race walking events to the cooler climate of Sapporo in Japan's northern main island of Hokkaido.

The women's marathon is set for Aug. 2 with the men's a week later. In order to avoid the extreme summer heat and humidity expected around that time of year in Japan's capital, the marathon start times had already been moved up to 6 a.m.

In an IOC press release, International Association of Athletics Federations President Sebastian Coe said, "We have been working closely with the IOC and Tokyo 2020 on the potential weather conditions at next year's Olympic Games and will continue to work with the IOC and Tokyo 2020 on the proposal to move the road events to Sapporo."

Full press release:

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god I didn't sign up for any marathon or racing tickets lol.

Are they still working on finishing the dome tops for the stadiums?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Italy hasn't qualified for the Baseball Men's Tournament. Israel at the qualifications brought up an army of Jewish-Americans and obliterated both Netherlands and Italy, which are the two traditional powerhouse of european baseball.

I'm very sad. I was happy that baseball returned to the Olympics after 15 years.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine running a marathon in Tokyo in summer. The temperatures are not usually too bad, but the humidity is intense. I remember feeling sweaty almost instantly when walking outside.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
The temperatures are not usually too bad, but the humidity is intense.

I disagree. It's regularly mid to upper 90s that time of year here so it's extremely hot. That combined with the humidity and the ridiculously strong sun is incredibly dangerous. I don't care how much training these athletes do, it's not a good idea. Not to mention putting all the lives of the spectators at risk.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Guess they got second thoughts after they saw what happened in Doha... :P

When Tokyo last hosted the Olympics in 1964 the marathon -- won by the great Ethiopian Abebe Bikila -- was run at 1:00pm but that was in the month of October, not August as will be the case next year.

At the recent world championships in Doha, both marathons started at midnight but the heat and humidity still presented massive problems.

Ruth Chepngetich won the women's race in a sluggish 2hr 32min 43sec -- 17 minutes outside Paula Radcliffe's then world record -- while 28 of the 68 starters failed to finish.

The men's race was held in cooler conditions but Lelisa Desisa's winning time of 2hr 10min 40sec was over nine minutes slower than the world record.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Mountain biking will be a nightmare then. You don't get the speeds up that you do in Road Cycling, so you don't get nearly as much air flow.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It always strikes me as kinda insane that they're hosting the Olympics during the most hottest/humid two weeks of the year. People are gonna die.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. It's regularly mid to upper 90s that time of year here so it's extremely hot. That combined with the humidity and the ridiculously strong sun is incredibly dangerous. I don't care how much training these athletes do, it's not a good idea. Not to mention putting all the lives of the spectators at risk.

I live in Arizona, so my sense of temperatures is likely skewed. Anything below 100 is good to me.
Also, I certainly wasn't saying that they should run in the marathons. My point was simply that the humidity was more of an issue, IMO, than the temperatures. A 90 degree day in Tokyo is as bad as a 105 degree day in Arizona.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

The IOC's announcement has disappointed and frustrated officials in Tokyo who have been making arrangements for the events.

A senior official of the Tokyo metropolitan government said the marathon and race walking events can entertain thousands of people without tickets as they can line the streets to cheer on the athletes.

The official said it seems the efforts and preparation by volunteers and city workers will have been in vain.

Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike said the abrupt announcement raises many issues.

She said the city has taken a range of measures to address the summer heat, and that she was taken by surprise by the sudden announcement.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
"She said the city has taken a range of measures to address the summer heat"

Yeah... I really fucking doubt that's going to have made any difference at all.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Guess they panicked :p

Sources related to the Tokyo Games believe the IOC and the International Association of Athletics Federations decided to rethink having the marathon and race walking events in Tokyo after seeing what happened in Qatar.

However, some Japanese officials are voicing concern over whether Sapporo will be able to arrange to host the events in the short time available.

A local government official in Hokkaido Prefecture, where Sapporo is located, said there is no way to comment on the news because the prefecture heard nothing from the IOC or the Japanese Olympic Committee.

Edit: Another quote:

Officials in Sapporo described learning of the possible move as coming "out of the blue."

"We have practical experience with running big competitions such as the Hokkaido Marathon, but will that know-how translate to the Olympics?" a Sapporo official said.

Last edited:

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
More events possibly getting earlier starting times:

NHK has learned the International Olympic Committee may consider starting the triathlon and open water swimming events earlier than planned during the 2020 Tokyo Summer Games.

The IOC is [...] looking into changing the start of the triathlon and open water swimming by an hour or two. The time had already been reviewed once from the initial plan, moving the start to 7:30 and 7 a.m.

After test events were held at the triathlon venue in Tokyo this August, athletes complained of poor water quality and high water temperatures.

Sources with knowledge of the matter say the venue for triathlon could even be relocated if the problems of water temperature and quality cannot be resolved.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Double checked my tickets and realized half of my events are outdoors. I'm gonna have to carry a thermal backpack full of ice or something...

Hausmeister

Nov 1, 2017
So, to bring this up again: does someone have a good recommendation for accommodation? Maybe something outside of Tokyo, good connected by train? There are so few hotels on the typical booking sites (maybe too early for July / August 2020?!) and they are craaaaazy expensive, like 700 Euro a night for 2 persons. Help! :D

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've contacted most of the ones within a decent radius and they're all sold out already. I just paid 1000 EUR a night for the first 2 days I'm there, and my backups (really dodgy looking places) are averaging 750 EUR for the other nights.

I'm probably going to end up risking AirBNB with a superhost or something, but if that goes wrong my wife and I will be basically on the streets for our stay.

I'm pretty disappointed that so few hotels seem to have respected the wishes of the government / organisers to not open up booking until the end of the year. I've evern considered an absolute last resort of a campsite, but there's no way in hell we could deal with that overnight heat. Would just be fucking miserable.

I don't know much about the main lines though. There might be really good options around an hour away via fast train? Don't know what time of day they generally start running in Tokyo.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
What is all this about not finding hotels? Are all of you only searching stuff in Tokyo or is literally all of Kanagawa booked? I find that hard to believe.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
No, only Tokyo thus far. I'm in no rush to have to blow 2-3 hours a day getting to and from the venues if I can avoid it. Especially given how insanely busy the public transport is likely to be when the Olympics are on.

I'll settle for it as a last resort though, but I don't have a clue which lines would be the quickest ways to get in / out.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I wish I had the money to see the Women's 400m Hurdles. That's going to be THE race of the 2020 Olympics, everything else will be secondary. I think we'll see Sydney McLaughlin beating Dalilah Mohammed and breaking her WR.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I'm in no rush to have to blow 2-3 hours a day getting to and from the venues if I can avoid it.

Huh? It doesn't even take that long to even get to Shizuoka from Tokyo. I think your scale of Japan is a bit off to say the least lol. You have two major cities just south of Tokyo. One of which, Yokohama, is hosting several events (I don't know if Kawasaki is hosting anything).

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm talking about the full journey from starting at the accommodation to getting to the actual stadiums. I mean, it would be nice just to time it from say, the external station to the main Tokyo station... but it wouldn't tell you anything.

I'm just going by google maps though, which I assume is relatively accurate?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
There's an argument for moving around, but with three suitcases that's going to get real old, real quick. I'll actually get the list when I get a sec though.

Only the main stadiums seem easy to get to. The mountain biking in Izu is a fucking nightmare. There's just nothing close and the transport links are... not good.

Edit - Full list of venues for our events, in order:
  • Ariake Tennis Park
  • Izu
  • Makuhari Messe
  • Tokyo Stadium
  • Kasumigaseki Country Club
  • Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium
  • Shiokaze Park
  • Aomi Urban Sports Park
  • Tokyo International Forum
  • Olympic Stadium
  • Aomi Urban Sports Park
I may have to lay them all out on a map and try and work out the least worst options. So far my main aim has been finding places as close to main transport links as possible, but it seems other people have been doing exactly the same!

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So, to bring this up again: does someone have a good recommendation for accommodation? Maybe something outside of Tokyo, good connected by train? There are so few hotels on the typical booking sites (maybe too early for July / August 2020?!) and they are craaaaazy expensive, like 700 Euro a night for 2 persons. Help! :D

Checkout hotels in Saitama next to the Tobu-Skytree Line. They should be cheaper and depending where you stay won't take long to get into Tokyo proper. Maybe just a little pass Kitasenju?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if there will be passes sold for the trains etc. Will probably be much easier than having to deal with individual tickets.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to book a pretty expensive hotel after it became clear everything else was gone. Not sure what other options there are but my friend recently booked an Airbnb. How accurate are those anime where people spend nights in internet cafes? haha

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I put all my events on a map (barring the Izu one)...

capturegwjs1.png

As a good chunk of the events are in the waterfront area I ran some numbers on getting to them.

Kawasaki: 00:45
Chiba: 01:00
Funabashi: 01:00 (I guess this isn't on a fast line?)
Yokohama: 01:10
Saitama: 01:10

Obviously that's starting from the station itself, there would be additional time for getting to the train. Any of those likely to be good options? Saitama aside obviously as that's already mentioned.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Any of those likely to be good options?

I live in Yokohama so my bias will be toward Yokohama or Kawasaki lol. I guess it depends if you want stuff to do around your hotel or are you literally going to spend 100% of your time at Olympic events. An hour ride really is nothing and most hotels won't be more than like a 10 minute walk from a station anyways.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
We have a couple of free days so we can always travel to do stuff anyway to be honest.

If it's saving me potentially 500 EUR a day I'm happy to just have it as a place to sleep.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I booked an Airbnb with a super host in July. Since then they lost their super host status. As back up I rented a room with Sakura House.

Maybe I should've booked a hostel too.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I hadn't considered keeping an eye on the status of the hosts. Probably sensible.

Would hate to think what would happen if they cancelled on me just before I went though.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm starting to get the feeling that the IOC/Tokyo 2020 organizers got played by partnered distributors who reserved way too many tickets for their luxurious VIP attendees, and your regular Japanese citizen got screwed over as a result.

Cosport sent me an email asking me if I was willing to pay $1100 + fees to get a "premium experience" to one of the skateboarding events recently too, even though this "premium experience" contained extremely few details.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's different in olympic times, but you can easily get to Kawasaki or Yokohama in 30 minutes from central Tokyo. It seems a lot of the venues are in Odaiba, which... is probably not scaled for this thing. The monorail from Shimbashi will be ridiculous, but there are bus and metro stations. If nothing else works, it's also walkable from downtown Tokyo/Ginza. You can live pretty far from the center if you stay near the Yamanote or Soba lines, they take you to where you need to go quickly. Look up Mitaka, it's at the far end of the Soba line (and has the Ghibli museum) and is rather far away but still only one train from Akihabara or Shinjuku. Or better yet, find something on the end of a metro line that goes to anywhere near Tokyo Station, that can be out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think your average visitor bothers to look that up, and metros are really simple to use and super safe.

And yes, get a Suica card and charge it with a couple of thousand yen, no need for tickets.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
What are the chances Tokyo will still be overly packed say in Oct, once its been a couple of months since the end of the games? Wife and I are planning a return trip in 2020

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Saitama was a bit of a wash. As it stands there only seem to be a couple of hotels available (at least for the first period I need).

I'm going to have a look at the area near Mitaka Station to see if I have any luck with that. I think I need to find a better overview of the trains / metro around Tokyo than google maps as at the moment I'm essentially reduced to dropping starting positions around the map and seeing what ends up being within an hour of the main station.

From what I can see, it's basically impossible to be near a Tokyo metro station and be further away than say, 45mins from the central station. However, it's the trains I'm struggling to get any info on (and obviously they'll be useful as they'll allow us to go even further out in theory).

Edit - I've basically just pulled a starting point around google maps and got an idea of how far out I can go. It's amazing that you can go down to Odawara in the south west and still be within 45mins. In the north east Kashiwa and Koshigaya are options. In the north, Kasukabe. Obviously I have zero idea if any of these areas have hotels anywhere near them.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Found some availability in a central Tokyo hotel, just hope it's still got some when I get home later.

I need to find a public gym though as annoyingly it doesn't have any fitness facilities.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I have a new winner for most expensive room...

Kingsize room (60 sq.m / 645 sqft) at JPY 250,000 per night.
Above rate is subject to 15% service charge, 10% government tax.

/dead

At least normally when I see prices like that they're for entire suites!

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I seem to be the only person posting... but, availability appears to be opening up in a few places now.

If you don't mind being 45mins to an hour out, there are "bargains" to be had.