• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've waited long enough and I decided to finally buy and start this. I've been in a bit of a slump these past few days so I'm hoping the Falcom Gaming Goodness will get me out of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Are you on PS4 or PC? AFAIK, there are more text fixes on PC than PS4 from what I've seen with my time with both versions. At least up till mid-Ch. 7 or so.
Playing on PS4, so that makes sense. I appreciate the effort to continue polishing it. If that's the case, it might be a good idea to wait and let the last round of fixes go through, I have plenty of other stuff I can play in the meantime.

It really isn't at a level where I can justify fussing about it too much, though. It's no worse than much bigger and better funded companies produce for their lower profile titles. Honestly, at this point things like tutorial messages and images using different terminology than the actual game or menus do has kind of become a hallmark of niche, budget JRPGs. It happens in almost every Atelier or Tales game, for instance. As long as it's clear that the localization team actually gave a crap (which they obviously did here, and it comes through) I can't really complain too much.

I have a lot more to complain about when it comes to the actual game, honestly. It's probably a good thing that it's basically a glorified Visual Novel, because I'm a Falcom devotee and this really isn't clicking with me on a mechanical level. There's something about the complete non-existence of blocking combined with dodging having no iframes unless you perfect that really rubs me the wrong way.

It seems like there's not a lot of play here for that moderate class of player who doesn't want to re-fight every boss five or six times to get the windows for perfect dodges down 100%, but also isn't a fan of pausing the action to use the absurdly cheap, overly potent healing items multiple times per fight. If I use items the fights are insultingly easy because they're so plentiful, but if I rely entirely on active defense frankly the game's harder to one shot bosses in than, say, Bloodborne. Either way leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth, unfortunately. More than willing to admit that I'm absurdly picky about action game mechanics, this is just the first Falcom game that hasn't met my criteria very well.

I'm liking the plot, though, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Double click the TokyoXanadu.CT file to open up CheatEngine and load the table. It will look like this:

Start the game. When you reach a free time section for the first time, attach the process by clicking on the symbol with the red border and choose the process in the popup.

The bottom box should look a little different now:

Value now shows the Affinity Shards you have in the game. You can now simply doubleclick Value and enter a number, check the 'Active' checkbox and tab back into the game.
You should now have the amount of Affinity Shards you entered. Save the game and you can close CheatEngine again, your modified Affinity Shards have been saved.
Or alternatively just keep it open and don't change Value, because as long as you have it open and Active is checked it won't reduce in-game no matter what you do.
I did this at the first Free Time section, before talking to anyone. I take it will take effect once I start talking to NPCs?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I did this at the first Free Time section, before talking to anyone. I take it will take effect once I start talking to NPCs?
FEA20817191C142BDA7A492481BE3CFCBFB622DD
The x5 are your Affinity Shards (it's probably 2 for you). As soon as you see that symbol you can change the value to your hearts content with CheatEngine and you immediately see the difference when tabbing back into the game.
If you don't see that symbol, there are no Affinity Shards to spend in the current freetime section.
Note: You'll have to do this every free time section, because they don't carry over between chapters.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Oh yeah that's what I see now. I take it they are used up as I talk to specific NPCs? Well I'll do that every time I have Free Time.

btw is it me or does anyone else notice stuttering in the PC ver? The game is running using my NVidia card but I think some NVidia Inspector fiddling could fix it up and make it look better.
Anyone got any NVidia Inspector settings to use?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah that's what I see now. I take it they are used up as I talk to specific NPCs? Well I'll do that every time I have Free Time.

btw is it me or does anyone else notice stuttering in the PC ver? The game is running using my NVidia card but I think some NVidia Inspector fiddling could fix it up and make it look better.
Anyone got any NVidia Inspector settings to use?
Only for those that have a yellow ! on the minimap. And you'll get asked before.

Borderless Window or Fullscreen? I found it smoother in Fullscreen.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Playing on PS4, so that makes sense. I appreciate the effort to continue polishing it. If that's the case, it might be a good idea to wait and let the last round of fixes go through, I have plenty of other stuff I can play in the meantime.

It really isn't at a level where I can justify fussing about it too much, though. It's no worse than much bigger and better funded companies produce for their lower profile titles. Honestly, at this point things like tutorial messages and images using different terminology than the actual game or menus do has kind of become a hallmark of niche, budget JRPGs. It happens in almost every Atelier or Tales game, for instance. As long as it's clear that the localization team actually gave a crap (which they obviously did here, and it comes through) I can't really complain too much.

I have a lot more to complain about when it comes to the actual game, honestly. It's probably a good thing that it's basically a glorified Visual Novel, because I'm a Falcom devotee and this really isn't clicking with me on a mechanical level. There's something about the complete non-existence of blocking combined with dodging having no iframes unless you perfect that really rubs me the wrong way.

It seems like there's not a lot of play here for that moderate class of player who doesn't want to re-fight every boss five or six times to get the windows for perfect dodges down 100%, but also isn't a fan of pausing the action to use the absurdly cheap, overly potent healing items multiple times per fight. If I use items the fights are insultingly easy because they're so plentiful, but if I rely entirely on active defense frankly the game's harder to one shot bosses in than, say, Bloodborne. Either way leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth, unfortunately. More than willing to admit that I'm absurdly picky about action game mechanics, this is just the first Falcom game that hasn't met my criteria very well.

I'm liking the plot, though, for what it's worth.
Ah, that all sounds good to me! And yeah, you're right.

IDK if you've tried Zwei II yet, but the combat really is a lot like that game, just with a more dynamic camera. From what i've noticed, a lot more of the later battles have had more forgiving timing with regards to dodges, though I don't know if I personally just got better at playing the game, or if they were more forgiving with those timings in general.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get back into this game bought the limited edition played like two hours and never got back to it dont know why. same thing happened with cold steel D:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Btw hard mode is hard
These freaks hot like a truck holy shit

I take it any EXP I get is shared with my characters right?

Last edited:

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
The final boss of chapter 4 is no jokes, quite a difficulty spike on Calamity. He even has an attack that does 2,700+ damage my highest HP character has 2k lol

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
BTW should I sell off equipment I don't need? Or can I use them to craft better equipment later on?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
@Ore- Thanks mate will sell them.

Decided to drop difficulty down to Normal. Yeah this feels better. Hard is way too hard for my 'LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOY JENKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENIS' Falcom mentality XP

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've never really liked how difficulty and random enemies are balanced in Falcom ARPGs. Random enemies die in too few hits and aren't really engaging to fight most of the time, but raising the difficulty doesn't really fix that so much as make them able to kill you just as fast, which I find kind of bullshit in any game if an enemy can one shot you or kill you from full health in a single combo.

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Well after reading this is a cross between Persona and Trails I simply had to get it! Despite being 54.99 on the PSN store good grief, but at least I'm supporting the developers I guess.

I want to go in spoiler free so just a quick question, anything that I should know before going in? Any useful tips etc. Also, what are the trophies like?

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't realize that this is basically a re-skin of Trails of Cold Steel with Action gameplay.
So is it as good as ToCS? How would you compare the character and story as well as the battle system?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Well after reading this is a cross between Persona and Trails I simply had to get it! Despite being 54.99 on the PSN store good grief, but at least I'm supporting the developers I guess.

I want to go in spoiler free so just a quick question, anything that I should know before going in? Any useful tips etc. Also, what are the trophies like?
Ah I guess you missed the memo on peeps giving away 20% discount codes on US PSN :X

Old equipment can be sold off so don't worry about keeping old equipment.
If you need help with side quests, there is a guide on GameFAQs.com so use it if you're stuck on a side quest.
Hard is a decent difficulty but bosses can be a pain in the ass. You could play on Normal for a first playthrough, then replay on a higher difficulty.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've never really liked how difficulty and random enemies are balanced in Falcom ARPGs. Random enemies die in too few hits and aren't really engaging to fight most of the time, but raising the difficulty doesn't really fix that so much as make them able to kill you just as fast, which I find kind of bullshit in any game if an enemy can one shot you or kill you from full health in a single combo.

This is the thing that I most love about falcom, while doing grinding at a high level, you still have a big advantage over the enemies yet you can't let your guard down because they still strike hard.

That's why the YS games are so great, otherwise I will hate that the game isn't just a boss rush game

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I don't usually restart a game after beating it, but I'll make an exception for this game and replay NG+ on Nightmare or Calamity.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of difficulty levels, would easy be too easy for someone with very little if any experience with Falcom action RPGs, but some experience with others (like KH, Nier, Tales)? And can you change the difficulty level whenever or are you locked in?

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Ah I guess you missed the memo on peeps giving away 20% discount codes on US PSN :X

Old equipment can be sold off so don't worry about keeping old equipment.
If you need help with side quests, there is a guide on GameFAQs.com so use it if you're stuck on a side quest.
Hard is a decent difficulty but bosses can be a pain in the ass. You could play on Normal for a first playthrough, then replay on a higher difficulty.
Thanks! Looking forward to starting it later.
Speaking of difficulty levels, would easy be too easy for someone with very little if any experience with Falcom action RPGs, but some experience with others (like KH, Nier, Tales)? And can you change the difficulty level whenever or are you locked in?
I'd love to know this too.

jRPG

Dec 13, 2017
We're still trying to get more information from the distributor but as of right now the only two links are from bazaar-bazaar and Amazon UK unfortunately >.<

I'm a bit late in replying, but thank you for mentioning this. The £54.99 price point on the UK store was putting me off, for me personally it's a bit much for digital, for a physical copy it's less of a bitter pill to swallow. I'd never heard of Bazaar-Bazaar before (I'm tempted to pick up Summon Night 6 from them too), they have it £10 cheaper and they appear to be based in the UK, so I'll not have to pay customs fees. I'm really looking forward to playing it, and I'm glad I don't have to wait for a sale.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't realize that this is basically a re-skin of Trails of Cold Steel with Action gameplay.
So is it as good as ToCS? How would you compare the character and story as well as the battle system?
So far its not, granted I'm only in ch 3. The dungeons are kinda bland, except for 1 side story dungeon that looked pretty cool. Its not bad by any means, but it hasn't clicked with me. I was sort of expecting to connect to it like it did with TOCS or even Ys VIII this year, but I'm not there yet.

Yes on both, though I'd recommend you get Ys VIII first as its the better game, even with the bad translation.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd start on Normal. If it's too easy or too hard, just switch it.
Your second question is in the OP: yes, you can switch difficulty at any time, provided you're not on the highest difficulty level (calamity).

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Your second question is in the OP: yes, you can switch difficulty at any time, provided you're not on the highest difficulty level (calamity).

Oh lol, rookie mistake. Thanks for the replies! I already own Tokyo Xanadu, can't say the same about Ys VIII, so I'll start with this one. I'm definitely interested in Ys too, but I'll wait for the fixed translation. Well, I kinda have to, since I'm playing these on the PC.

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Any reason for the lack of buzz around this game compared to other JRPGs, even Falcom's own ones like Trails? From what I can tell this game should appeal to a lot of Persona / Trails fans etc.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Any reason for the lack of buzz around this game compared to other JRPGs, even Falcom's own ones like Trails? From what I can tell this game should appeal to a lot of Persona / Trails fans etc.

It's something similar with all their games. I never understood how Trails/Ys are not more well known and with better sales number in the West, it's a shame. I guess people judge by the looks and since their games do not look awesome peoples tend to skip them. I could be wrong but that's my impression.

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
It's something similar with all their games. I never understood how Trails/Ys are not more well known and with better sales number in the West, it's a shame. I guess people judge by the looks and since their games do not look awesome peoples tend to skip them. I could be wrong but that's my impression.
Yeah. Just curious to be honest, you would think if Persona 5 could sell 2M this could sell decent - it's not even on 2k on Steam :/

But can't wait to get home tonight as I'm so excited to start it, looks the perfect game for me!

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really enjoying this game but I have to say that the game's very minor gay characters (the female student who's in love with Mitsuki, and the owner of the clothing boutique) are such enormous disappointments. I do think there's value in replicating the intent and personality of the original text, but these characters are both such gross stereotypes that I almost wish the localization just altered them entirely. It wouldn't be accurate to say I'm offended by their inclusion so much as it just bums me out, and the idea of someone designing these characters and writing this text and then another person having to translate that text and then edit it does make me a bit uncomfortable, because this depiction of predatory gay characters is already so pervasive, and it's presented here without an ounce of intelligence or critical thought. Of all the things to crib from Persona too.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, that boss kicked my ass on Hard like nothing I've ever seen. Good luck~
It was awesome (brb trying BossBattle on Calamity) : P

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
So, em... is it the White Shroud or Seal Knight? At first I thought the knight or seal knight name drops where some sort of title, but the character intro has him/her named as Seal Knight. I'm confused... is it a localization mistake or am I missing something?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
So, em... is it the White Shroud or Seal Knight? At first I thought the knight or seal knight name drops where some sort of title, but the character intro has him/her named as Seal Knight. I'm confused... is it a localization mistake or am I missing something?
It's both. Seal Knight is the occupation/title.
White Shroud is what they call him because he is... shrouded in a white cloak :p

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on Calamity and just beat the first boss. Love the challenge and tight combat. Typical addictive Falcom gameplay.

Does the soundtrack get better and as good as other Falcom games? I heard it has a good soundtrack but the first dungeon music was a bit annoying and repetitive.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So I saved the game the other day at the chapter complete screen and when I loaded the game the next day, it took me straight on without allowing me to choose the side story, have I missed it now?