TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
None in the modern era. 2016 and Eternal were peak Doom and Mick's OST is huge part of it for me.
I really don't think the first game would have blown up in the same way that it did if it wasn't for Mick's music. It's so integral to the feeling of the games combat that I don't know what a game without it looks like.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I was envious about Hi-Fi Rush but exclusive Doom is gonna hurt.

Not buying an Xbox for one game so hopefully it comes to Playstation later

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
All doom games were not big sellers, and all their games of that franchise have been multiplatform, in my opinion, making that IP exclusive to a platform that has stagnation problems would be detrimental to the IP, hopefully they select the best outcome possible for the future of the IP
In a world where anything not breaching 10x investment when investment is 200 million isn't regarded as a big seller, I don't think that matters.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing recent events with xbox... Profit/revenue / sales matter, just that they dont want to say it in public
I mean, they've said as much, but nothing ID puts out will do COD numbers, so you either make the game to keep the IP healthy... Or you close the studio because it will never do what you want it to do.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Quake and Wolfenstein when
tenor.gif

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Trolling
I was envious about Hi-Fi Rush but exclusive Doom is gonna hurt.

Not buying an Xbox for one game so hopefully it comes to Playstation later
... where have you been lately? You have no reason to be worried about Xbox exclusives. Those don't exist anymore. Xbox is dead - Microsoft Gaming is here and Microsoft wants to be *everywhere*.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
3 million units, not a big seller, big seller I mean 10m units and those kind of numbers but well ... As you are seeing 3 million units between PC, PlayStation, Xbox, imagine they making the next doom exclusive to xbox and pc (and erasing sales from xbox because the game will be day one on gamepass), making the game exclusive is pretty pretty clear going to harm the IP

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Why ? It's a fantasy A-RPG
Because no one has been trying to modernize or revolutionize first person melee combat. Outside of xenoclash, the most interesting first person melee combat game is still Condemned, and that was nearly 20 years ago.

I'd be willing to put money down on the idea of, just like every other first person arpg since Skyrim, the game will be best enjoyed as a stealth archer or stealth melee build because the nature of fps games, regardless of setting, just works better with more people.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
3 million units, not a big seller, big seller I mean 10m units and those kind of numbers but well ... As you are seeing 3 million units between PC, PlayStation, Xbox, imagine they making the next doom exclusive to xbox and pc (and erasing sales from xbox because the game will be day one on gamepass), making the game exclusive is pretty pretty clear going to harm the IP
To be fair, the definition of big seller has clearly changed since doom eternal's launch. Where at the point where the publishers aren't satisfied with 5 million in year one anymore.

Oh I bet the ideal way to play that game will be as a shooter.

3 million digital units back in 2016 (back when we had a higher split for physical sales) is an excellent number for a game's first month. Also, it made 450 million USD in the nine months after launch. That's a huge success by any metric:

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/mustafa-mahmoud/doom-eternal-has-made-over-450-million-in-revenue/#:~:text=The%20DOOM%20franchise%20is%20one%20of%20the%20video%20game%20industry's%20most%20iconic.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
3 million digital units back in 2016 (back when we had a higher split for physical sales) is an excellent number for a game's first month. Also, it made 450 million USD in the nine months after launch. That's a huge success by any metric:

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/mustafa-mahmoud/doom-eternal-has-made-over-450-million-in-revenue/#:~:text=The%20DOOM%20franchise%20is%20one%20of%20the%20video%20game%20industry's%20most%20iconic.
Including PlayStation and not launching the game day one in a subscription service

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
... where have you been lately? You have no reason to be worried about Xbox exclusives. Those don't exist anymore. Xbox is dead - Microsoft Gaming is here and Microsoft wants to be *everywhere*.
Strategy changed not that long ago. Highly likely that for most of the development it has been done with just Xbox and PC in mind. Could come to PlayStation at a later date but I doubt it'd be day one.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Ask Square, who had multiple studios with multiple games that did better numbers, if they consider that to be a success.

Spoilers: they didn't and sold off those studios.

Orduss

Feb 3, 2021
Because no one has been trying to modernize or revolutionize first person melee combat. Outside of xenoclash, the most interesting first person melee combat game is still Condemned, and that was nearly 20 years ago.

I'd be willing to put money down on the idea of, just like every other first person arpg since Skyrim, the game will be best enjoyed as a stealth archer or stealth melee build because the nature of fps games, regardless of setting, just works better with more people.
Warhammer Vermintide and Darktide have a very good first person melee combat imo. But let's not derail the thread further and agree to disagree

Feb 19, 2023
Aug 23, 2018
Including PlayStation and not launching the game day one in a subscription service

Counterpoint:

kotaku.com

Starfield Just Busted The Biggest Myth About Xbox Game Pass

Xbox’s subscription service didn’t stop Bethesda’s RPG from dominating sales charts last month

www.ign.com

Starfield Tops Sales Charts Even Before Launch as Fans Pay to Play Early - IGN

Starfield is currently performing very well for a game that isn't officially out yet, topping Xbox sales charts and drawing in thousands of users on Steam.

www.vg247.com

Starfield helped Xbox achieve record-breaking gaming revenue for Q1, but it's not all good news

Starfield helped Xbox achieve record-breaking gaming revenue for Q1, but hardware revenue was reportedly down year-on-year.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
lol

lmao even

I mean, isn't this the case in general? Look at FF Rebirth and the 5k post thread that generated here due to it as a prime example. It just feels like all your posts ITT have been steadily moving the goalpost as you keep responding to people quoting you.
final fantasy should be as well multiplatform, but well, as you are saying, its clear, I am just saying to the other person that doesnt matter if the game was 3million, the point is the game was everythere and it wasnt day one on a sub service, FF should be multiplatform but I think that conversation belongs to the thread you are talking, by the way, that thread is incredibly toxic, I ignored that thread

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Counterpoint:

kotaku.com

Xbox’s subscription service didn’t stop Bethesda’s RPG from dominating sales charts last month

www.ign.com

Starfield is currently performing very well for a game that isn't officially out yet, topping Xbox sales charts and drawing in thousands of users on Steam.

www.vg247.com

Starfield helped Xbox achieve record-breaking gaming revenue for Q1, but it's not all good news

Starfield helped Xbox achieve record-breaking gaming revenue for Q1, but hardware revenue was reportedly down year-on-year.
I don't know how well Starfield actually did sales wise, but I can't recall ever seeing any boasting from Bethesda or Microsoft on its sales, and Game Pass continues to not grow. I can only deduce that it didn't do as well as they had hoped.

It's reasonable to think that being "free" on Game Pass, and excluding Playstation users will hurt sales significantly.

If the biggest Bethesda game can't move the needle, DOOM is screwed

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Counterpoint:

kotaku.com

www.ign.com

www.vg247.com

I mean, every one of these is very clear about Star field being the exception to the rule and it's November sales being very impressive DESPITE the gamepass situation.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I do wonder if the next Doom would split the difference between 2016 and Eternal considering how polarizing Eternal was with its gameplay

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Remembering how huge Doom 3 was at launch way back when, I hope they have something really special for the 3rd installment of the reboots.