• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a good list from the Allies.
I know some of there top 10's have been somewhat controversial (towns), but this is a solid list.
Any other great castles missing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JycwsSr_R0g

Lothric Castle (Dark Souls 3)
The Castle (RE4)
Figaro Castle (FFVI)
Wiley's Castle (Mega Man Series)
Bowser's Castle (Mario Series)
Cainhurst Castle (Bloodborne)
Toran Castle and North Window (Suikoden 1 and 2)
Peach's Castle (Super Mario 64)
Hyrule Castle (Wind Waker)
Dracula's Castle (Castlevania)

Last edited:

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't see people losing their shit over this one.

But then I thought the same about Top 10 towns.

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see Suikoden being aknowledged. The castle of Neclord in Suikoden 1 also had quite the atmosphere.

I would add :

- Ultimecia's castle from Final Fantasy VIII. Excellent music and design.
- Malek's Bastion in Legacy of Kain : Blood Omen. This felt so COLD there (and it was).
- Boletaria's Castle from Demon's Souls. Very singular ambiance.

OP
OP
Elshoelace

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Suikoden being aknowledged. The castle of Neclord in Suikoden 1 also had quite the atmosphere.

I would add :

- Ultimecia's castle from Final Fantasy VIII. Excellent music and design.
- Malek's Bastion in Legacy of Kain : Blood Omen. This felt so COLD there (and it was).
- Boletaria's Castle from Demon's Souls. Very singular ambiance.
Yeah, glad Suikoden made it. It being so central to the game and building it up and adding new rooms and services as you recruit people is super satisfying.

Nov 17, 2017
Personally, I liked the Hyrule Castle from Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild more than Wind Waker's. Mainly because they were actual dungeons whereas WW just had you fight a bunch of enemies. That said, WW is definitely my 3rd favorite.

A castle that probably would get overlooked by many though is Crumbling Castle from Ape Escape. It's the first level in the game where the goal isn't to catch a certain amount of monkeys and then be warped out of the level. Instead it feels like a real gauntlet as you make your way to the castle and through it's many chambers to find Specter. There's a ton of monkeys to catch in this level and they offer a decent challenge too as a lot of them are aggressive or hard to catch. Also the music is so good.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The castles in Suikoden are unparalleled when it comes to home bases. Watching them develop and come to life is a huge treat and draw in the games. I desperately hope that FE Three Houses takes a page out of their playbook for the possible central homebase castle we see in the trailer if that is the case. My Castle in Fates was a huge far cry from that.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Feels like an over correction on the towns episode.

Choosing a franchise's castle felt like cheating.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Windwaker castle was cool but I think I'd rank it only higher than spirit track's castle.

Link to the Past was better and is pretty good overall.

And Super Mario 64 castle is amazing. If I was Nintendo, that would be the first VR demo I make.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not having the castle from Ico makes this a crap list. It's especially egregious when they include BB and DS castles, come on man.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Came here to make sure Suikoden's home base castle made it on the list. Satisfied.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Was an enjoyable watch. Laughed at seeing Nathan Fillion in the introduction.

For those who don't know, he played the role Castle in the show Castle.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hyrule Castle (Wind Waker)
What....honestly I thought it straight up sucked and was bad. I'm baffled by this choice!
The rest I can get behind mostly, although I'd replace the DS3 castle with DS2 - the sheer act of getting there and looking at it from afar is one of my most memorable gaming experiences.
And ofcourse, BOLETARIA!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was a very nice top 10. They kind of cheated a tiny bit by making it more about franchises, but still I don't think you could disagree with most of the choices. Castlevania rightfully at numero uno.

edit:

Not having the castle from Ico makes this a crap list. It's especially egregious when they include BB and DS castles, come on man.

Oh shit I bet they forgot just like I did. :(

Sorry allies, list invalidated.

jk

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Dracula's Castle is where it belongs.

source.gif

That castle is the whole series, and it's the best.
Was an enjoyable watch. Laughed at seeing Nathan Fillion in the introduction.

For those who don't know, he played the role Castle in the show Castle.
tenor.gif

More like "Top Ten Bottoms of the Barrel," amirite?
I kid. Fun list.
Ehhh. Top Ten barrels in gaming could be a real conversation, I think.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Figaro Castle seems out of place. It's a great concept, but it isn't interesting to explore and there isn't much to do there beyond watching story unfold.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh. Top Ten barrels in gaming could be a real conversation, I think.

Number one would be undisputed.

150px-DKBarrelDKCR.png

Figaro Castle seems out of place. It's a great concept, but it isn't interesting to explore and there isn't much to do there beyond watching story unfold.
How much they like the games is a big factor. FF6 was probably driven by Jones' love of the game, while the Soulsborne picks probably came from Ian and Brad. And there is zero doubt that Suikoden is on this list because of Ben. :P

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I watch most EZA content but after that towns list I never kept up with these. Figured they were just something made to create awareness around the channel/patreon.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I would have had the castle from Devil May Cry 1 on the list, personally. I'm kinda surprised it wasn't.

And unlike their Top 10 Towns list, this time they should have picked something from Breath of the Wild. It's the series' best representation of Hyrule Castle.

OP
OP
Elshoelace

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
I would have had the castle from Devil May Cry 1 on the list, personally. I'm kinda surprised it wasn't.

And unlike their Top 10 Towns list, this time they should have picked something from Breath of the Wild. It's the series' best representation of Hyrule Castle.
I have to agree, BotW castle was superb with lots of ways to tackle it.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Figaro is a great choice!
My second choice from the FF series would be Ultimecia's Castle from FFVIII.