• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He's done some great stuff. But he's not top 10 worthy. He doesn't have the catalog in gaming or the like many in the top 10 here do or even the long-lasting impact of someone like Wise.

He's scored between twenty to thirty games and was the main composer behind one of the most respected shooter franchises with regards to original compositions. In the end, I think the quality of his best work merits recognition in a list such as this - I think very few have been able to match his abilities as a symphonic composer.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
My picks for omitted:

Jespyr Kyd
Peter McConell
and Grant Kirkhope!!!!

Also, composers of less volume, but each with one of the best game soundtracks ever:

Toby Fox, Undertale
Shawn Lee, Bully
Takashi Tateishi, Mega Man 2

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Dismissing Koshiro's modern work on Etrian Odyssey to talk about Streets of Rage is a travesty.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hitoshi Sakimoto deserved to be in there, for sure. As did Masafumi Takada (too niche, I guess). Oh, and Jesper Kyd, definitely (who nowadays is more niche, I guess).

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
WOW, had zero idea Yoko Shimomura composed Guile's theme. I was so confused when they started playing that.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now this was a fantastic top 10. One of their best ever counting the GT days. The narration and editing gave the music time to breathe. Nobuo Uematsu or Koji Kondo could be #1 for me.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I would have swapped Kondo and Uematsu but it doesn't really matter, they are the Top 2 composers and are definitely in a separate league from anyone else. Happy to see David Wise (not really a surprise knowing the allies) and luckily Ben and Damiani pushed enough to have Mitsuda in, the Xenoblade sountracks are just too good to be excluded

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people who want composers in top 10 all time because of one game. Body of works needs to be bigger honestly. And I know it's not everyone, but I feel like a lot of people bring up Okabe's name and probably only heard the Automata's OST (he's indeed one of the best composers overall, not disagreeing).

Overall the list went for good safe picks that everyone will probably agree are deserving of their spots. Would personally have Koshiro higher and Michiru Yamane and Kenji Yamamoto for sure in the list.

Hot takes: Motoi Sakuraba makes some good stuff, but makes too many mediocre and samey soundtracks too and this instantly disqualifies him from a list like this; Go Ichinose >>>>>> Masuda -- they're not even close, Ichinose is crazy underrated.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Literally who.

Halo has a memorable theme, but after looking up Marty's history to see what he's done other than Halo and Destiny, I'm good not hearing from him again after finding this.

Oh Marty.

bunk-the-wire.gif

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
How can you not put Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masashi Hamauzu and Audi
Ryu Umemoto
on a list like that?
Heck, Shinji Hosoe? ESTi? Kohei Tanaka? Jake Kaufman? Frank Klepacki?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird, I feel like this isn't a bad list, but I could still swap out like 4 or 5 for others like Mick Gordon, Darren Korb, Hideki Naganuma and Jesper Kyd or others.
I was about to say pretty much the same thing. Gordon and Korb are kinda one-note and Kyd is kinda all over the place, but goddamn do they all make some fantastic music.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
How can you not put Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masashi Hamauzu and Audi
Ryu Umemoto
on a list like that?
Heck, Shinji Hosoe? ESTi? Kohei Tanaka? Jake Kaufman? Frank Klepacki?
Sanodg, Keiki Kobayashi, Hisayoshi Ogura, Noriyuki Iwadare, Masafumi Takada, Masashi Hamauzu, Kenji Ito, etc etc

They're starting to make watchmojo look like professionals of their craft

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Mitsuda not being #1 something I don't agree with. Atleast he's in the top 3, but I think he's better than Uematsu and especially Kondo. The fact that the Nier composer (name escapes me at the moment) is not on the list is laughable.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Ok but where is Michael Jackson for Sonic 3 tho xD ?

Care to explain why these people being Japanese makes the list terrible?
Terrible because it has more Japanese composers?

Nah, that comment is far worse and borderline offensive.

"Weeby?" Grow up.

Everyone in the world must only like Western stuff..... WESTERN PPL ARE NUMBER 1!!!!

Liking any other country or region's works must be shamed.

Look at the Oscars you don't see Asian movies winning there right ? Its coz they aren't weebs duh /s

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sanodg, Keiki Kobayashi, Hisayoshi Ogura, Noriyuki Iwadare, Masafumi Takada, Masashi Hamauzu, Kenji Ito, etc etc

You're exaggerating.

I kinda agree that a bunch of great people are ignored solely because their body of work is mostly in more niche genres, franchises and even systems (portable/mobile), but how do you expect them to rank high in lists if people don't even play the stuff they compose for?

If even "serious" awards cerimonies ignore niche stuff, what do you expect from some list they only make because it's a Patreon tier. And honestly, the composers they picked are all good anyway, even if safe.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Mitsuda not being #1 something I don't agree with. Atleast he's in the top 3, but I think he's better than Uematsu and especially Kondo. The fact that the Nier composer (name escapes me at the moment) is not on the list is laughable.

I don't think it's laughable. He doesn't have a discography that would raise him into the top 10, in my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't take issue with him being in the bottom 5 but I don't think "laughable" is quite fair. In the end, he would really only make the list because of one game (in general).

And I think Automata is one of the best OSTs ever released. But I think there needs to be something more to be in the top 10 composers ever.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

The top 5 in this list are nearly unarguable. So you're basically mocking their list for putting some others in the bottom 5 over your own personal list.

I don't understand why people get so angry to the point of being rude over this stuff. It's silly.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
He is probably lesser known compared to these titans, but I would have absolutely put Motoi Sakuraba on the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoi_Sakuraba

He's done a crapload of RPGs. Star Oceans, Tales, Shining Force, Golden Sun, etc.

But I think his Eternal Sonata OST is absolutely perfect - one of the best OST in games.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
David Kanaga has been robbed, none other video game composer has revolutionized the music design in video games like him.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not just cause the guy is a dear personal friend, but Chris Huelsbeck should be on the list, and pretty high at that when considering his achievements. Not only for the melodic quality of his music, but he was among the very first video game composers in the world that managed to market his music as mainstream, opening his own record label for video game music, having his music broadcast via national radio in Germany, developing the world's first public tracker software (sound monitor), developing the 7 channel TFMX system on Amiga, developing MusyX on N64 (which was so successful Nintendo picked it up), and having a symphony dedicated to his music and again, broadcast on radio.

His legacy easily rivals that of Yuzo Koshiro and Nobuo Uematsu in terms of legitimizing and pushing video game music forward.

This, and the Turrican II theme is one of the greats.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
And if we're talking about Japanese composers with influence and breath of work - how come ZUN isn't on the list?
It's like 90% of Japanese music scene are remixes of his songs.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Uematsu in the right place, one of the great soundtrack composers of the last 30 years across all mediums.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
The SMB theme has transcended video games -- go up to any random on the streets and start humming it and there's a very high chance they'll start humming it back to you. No one else on that list can say that, how is Kondo not #1?

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Uh yeah, goodluck to anyone arguing against that top 5. That's as solid as they come.

Don't know why Jones thought people would get mad at this top 10, the list seems fine.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people who want composers in top 10 all time because of one game. Body of works needs to be bigger honestly. And I know it's not everyone, but I feel like a lot of people bring up Okabe's name and probably only heard the Automata's OST (he's indeed one of the best composers overall, not disagreeing).

Yea this isn't a Best Tracks/OST of all time list.

WOW, had zero idea Yoko Shimomura composed Guile's theme. I was so confused when they started playing that.

Her most iconic works imo are from early Street Fighter and Final Fight games. Its kinda weird that Guiles theme played and they were showing Final Fantasy and Kingdom hearts.