• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Edward in FF4. He sings at enemies. It rarely works on normal enemies, let alone bosses where it actually never works.

Controversial opinion, but I think Toriyama jumped the shark in the Raditz arc. All of the main characters up to that point were reasonably useful, but from then on if you weren't a Saiyan you were just background furniture.
DB is Art compared to DBZ

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hhx1hwtn3uq41.jpg
:D :D

Oct 26, 2017
I elect the entire Marine Team from Aliens. Every single one of them is absolutely useless. Every single one.
Shit Ripley had two minutes of basic weapons training and was more effective than that whole bunch of morons.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Edward in FF4. He sings at enemies. It rarely works on normal enemies, let alone bosses where it actually never works.
I think the weirdest part is that Edward is arguably a downgrade from FF3's Bard, an already subpar class, because they moved the ability to inflict status effects to a dedicated song command while FF3 Bard did it by just attacking and they moved the Bard's cheer and scare commands to Porum and Palom.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It was impressive the way he worked Zahir but still couldnt save anyone. Although I will give him credit for rescuing Jinora from the spirit fog, I forgot about that.
Tenzin fighting the Red Lotus is why Kai was able to escape and not only save everybody but reveal where Korra & the airbenders were taken. Tenzin did end up saving everybody with his 4v1 duel

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mako_%28The_Legend_of_Korra%29.jpg

This jackwagon. Wasted precious airtime with awful love drama... At least Bolin was funny, Mako was just a steady stream of anger hanging in the back of each scene.
Hey now if he wasn't such a useless person and bad boyfriend Korra and Asami never would have got together

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, 5 pages already but no mention of Zuma? Pretty sure I'm not the only parent here that has watched shitloads of Paw Patrol.

I mean that poor doggo won't even get selected for most of the sea/water rescue missions that are his expertise because other pups' vehicles can transform to seaworthy vessels.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BYzhlNDRmMTItMDIwMy00NWFkLWIxZjYtOTY2YTlhOGRhY2UyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDg1NzI4Mjc@._V1_UY1200_CR751,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I nominate Ruel Stroud as the most worthless member of the Brotherhood of Tofu. And I think his teammates would agree. Except Yugo, bless his heart.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I have everyone beat.

ben_paul_twdvg_9281.jpg

Ben from Telltale's Walking Dead

Not only is he useless, he's pretty much a consistent factor in the team's worst events.

1) When the team's base gets attacked by bandits, it's in part due to a deal he cut with the bandits for protection (and I think they were lying about having former classmates of his) that he didn't tell the rest of the group which leads to the deaths of 3 of the team.

2) Almost every situation he could help, he doesn't do so because he gets too scared such as leaving Clementine behind at one point and not being able to help Lee remove his arm.

3) When they're stuck in a building, he removes a hatchet that was keeping a door secure, so walkers couldn't get in thinking the group could use the hatchet. This leads to the death of at least one more person.

4) In that same building under attack, he chooses to tell Kenny, the guy who lost his family in the event with the bandits, that he was the one who had been giving them supplies. This is very much the worst possible time to tell him.

5) When the team talks about just leaving him behind, only Clementine and optionally Lee are the only ones to argue in his favor. I think he has maybe one scene in the game where he's helpful if you had nobody else with you when you go to save Clementine.

This can arguably be more frustrating to players because Ben is by no means a bad person as much of just a massive screw-up. The events he tends to propagate are usually the type that would be done by either more malicious or outright awful types of people.

That said, he's one of my favorite characters in the game just because I actively looked forward to and laughing at how he'd manage to screw things up again.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how Hawkeye gets so much stick but Black Widow doesn't. Unless I'm forgetting something major theres pretty much one scene in the entirety of the Avengers saga where she uses her espionage training. The rest of the time shes just running around with guns/batons

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Fishman fought parademons and stopped that water from blowing them away behind the harbor. Why he didn't ask Mera or Vulko too help though, both seemed to have a set of skills that's more than being a big strong man.

I can guarantee you Wonder Woman, Cyborg and Flash wouldn't have just drowned.

Not sure about Batman lol but I have to assume he was like Batscubagear or something.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Mako_%28The_Legend_of_Korra%29.jpg

This jackwagon. Wasted precious airtime with awful love drama... At least Bolin was funny, Mako was just a steady stream of anger hanging in the back of each scene.

Jesus, how the does anyone like Bolin? At least Mako has actual development while Bolin creepily chases after disinterested women or kisses the actor when not in the script.

Bolin is useless in everywhere. To be fair, LoK sucks.

alnfbeucldy51.jpg

But I'll add

barb-stranger-things-shannon-purser.jpg

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Kubo did most of his side characters dirty. Orihime should be one of the strongest characters in the show, but kubo kept her as a damsel in distress the whole series. Infuriated me to no end.

To be fair, Orihime got to do about as much actual fighting against Yhwach as Ichigo, and significantly more than characters like Renji.

Chad got it way worse, didn't even get the participation trophy. Got relegated to punching furniture with the lamest dude in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Falcon from the MCU? I can't remember him ever doing anything. I'm sure someone is gonna school me on his importance lol

To be fair, you could pretty much say that about all the Avengers outside of the main six, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and Wanda. Likewise Bucky is given nothing to do and stands around shooting a gun during battles. Hopefully F&TWS will develop them a lot more and give them some agency of their own.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. Pippin sneaking a peek at the Palantir ended up making Sauron start to doubt himself and made him pull the trigger on the war too early.

And remember the troll that was about to effortlessly ice Aragorn at the Black Gate in the movie? In the book, Pippin gutted him like a fish in a scene that I still to this day can't believe Peter Jackson of "Dead Alive" fame did not film.

Merry and Pippin were also mostly responsible for rousing the Ents as well.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
MV5BYzhlNDRmMTItMDIwMy00NWFkLWIxZjYtOTY2YTlhOGRhY2UyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDg1NzI4Mjc@._V1_UY1200_CR751,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I nominate Ruel Stroud as the most worthless member of the Brotherhood of Tofu. And I think his teammates would agree. Except Yugo, bless his heart.
This is a good one, and bless you for bringing up Wakfu. I enjoy Ruel well enough, but man do they have to stretch to find excuses for him to bother being there.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I never played FFIV TAY so I don't know if he's in it/gets a glow up in it, but Edward from FFIV is like comically pointless during the entire story.

Without Edward, FFIV's final boss would have been the Dark Elf and it would have been the bleakest ending in the series, as the team would have died and Golbez would have ultimately won. 😂

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I always root for War Machine because Cheadle is my favorite actor in the MCU, but he almost never gets anything interesting. Not even invited to New York for the OG Avengers movie and he shows up in Sokovia to kill like 3 useless Ultron drones in Avengers 2. He's the designated punching bag in Civil War. He had a little more burn in Infinity War/Endgame, but nothing special.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Without Edward, FFIV's final boss would have been the Dark Elf and it would have been the bleakest ending in the series, as the team would have died and Golbez would have ultimately won. 😂
That's basically all he's useful for, and even then, it's kinda only really gameplay reasons why the Dark Elf was so powerful before you use the twin harp.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I love the scene in Age of Ultron where Wanda manages to incapacitate the entire team except Hawkeye, who isn't having it after being mind-controlled in the previous movie.

And the episode of Buffy where everybody else is saving the world and Xander is having his own adventure where he also saves the world from a different threat without anyone else realizing it is one of my favorite episodes in the whole series.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
latest

Also a terrible person to boot

The thing that gets me is I look at Mineta and I'm like, "Okay, this is a character I'm supposed to hate. I get it, cool."

But then I see interviews with the artist where apparently he really likes Mineta and didn't design him in every facet to be completely repugnant? Like, he thinks this shit right here looks good? I can't even.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
latest

Also a terrible person to boot
Regarding his power set he is never going to be a main player but at times works as a good assist member who can distract and delay enemies which has proven useful multiple times.

But as a person, he is just terrible. One of the most obnoxiously perverted characters I can remember.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, you could pretty much say that about all the Avengers outside of the main six, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and Wanda. Likewise Bucky is given nothing to do and stands around shooting a gun during battles. Hopefully F&TWS will develop them a lot more and give them some agency of their own.
Yeah, he's on my list as well. That was why I was confused how a show with my personal 2 most uninteresting characters got a show together haha

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Hawkeye, Vision and Black Widow in the MCU.

So much time wasted trying to rehabilitate Hawkeye and make him seem cool. Vision in Infinity War/Endgame had an infinity stone yet got his ass kicked in every scene. Black Widow maybe has some off-screen espionage value or something...

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
Im gonna back up Tenzin as well.
Having recently watched Korra. He was the one when all hope was lost convinced Korra to meditate inside the tree of eternity allowing her to access spirit form and prevented 10,000 years of darkness in the universe.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek TNG's Deanna Troi.

*Enemy ship fires everything it has at the Enterprise*
"Captain, I can sense that they're angry"
And in episodes where her empathic abilities would be extremely useful, she is mysteriously missing (or otherwise busy with the B-plot).
Or worse, times when her abilities would be extremely useful, and she is present and ready to go, but "I can't sense anything. I don't understand why."

Like, you have one job, and most of the time you can't seem to do it.

What the fuck, Troi.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Momen Rider from One Punch Man is pretty damn useless. The guy just gets his ass kicked all the time by every monster or villains he faces, and yet he's loved by public!