Min

Oct 25, 2017
First thought from OP's topic title: Oh, pterodactyls are pretty cool.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Didn't realise this was out yet. Will watch it with the wife this week. Not expecting anything amazing but if it can hit Birdbox levels of mediocrity it'll pass a couple of hours!

Besides, anything with Stanley Tucci in is worth a watch.

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
I watched half of this before giving up. I haven't seen a horror thriller with such little tension or energy in quite some time. Not even my crush on Stanley Tucci could get me through it.

Nov 30, 2018
It's hard to take any of these reviews seriously if they wrote an entire article and still had the audacity to call it a "knockoff of A Quiet Place or Bird Box"

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Hmmm how come ally can speak but she is deaf? Isnt she deaf, but why do people talk to her with voice?

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
This movie is fucking awful in everyway. It looks like they made it yesterday and watched clips of Birdbox and A Quiet Place. If this is based on a book then the book must be equally as terrible. I'm more than half way through and its just trash.

Oct 27, 2017
Pitch: a bunch of monsters are attracted to strong smells.

A scientist in hiding has developed a plan to destroy the beasts. If he can make it to the governments hidden bunker the world might be saved.

But his terminal flatulence may be his downfall.

This is fabulous, I love it. I will fund this, 100%, blank cheques all round if we can call it "Silent but Deadly" or maybe "GAS".

Have to work a tense halitosis scene in there somewhere too.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
People rag on A Quiet Place having a poor set up and other issues with its story and world building but this film makes that look a Kubrickian masterpiece by comparison. The monsters are also really fucking goofy looking.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Felt it was really boring. The resolution in the last 2 minutes felt rushed. The crazy priest dude was introduced late and ended being pretty dumb. Blind box kind of was a fluke I guess as it was really entertaining.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it now.... yeah erm as others have said it was OK. It kept me mildly entertained. I love how quickly society completely and utterly collapses within the space of like a day in these movies. I get the feeling some of this horror apocalypse films would be better suited to a series rather than a sub 2 hour movie. The acting wasn't too bad though I had to keep reminding myself the girl is NOT Emma Watson (seriously case of separated at birth thing there).

I dunno just seems like a typical netflix apocalypse film, fast paced start, ponderous hour long survival shit then a 2 min end scene that leaves you completely unsatisfied.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
More netflix mediocrity. Always impressed by Netflix's ability to assemble decent cast and then churn out a subpar product (see very recent examples of Triple Frontier and The Highwaymen).

They should concentrate on getting the licenses of actually decent movies and dail back their mostly for shit original programming.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
More netflix mediocrity. Always impressed by Netflix's ability to assemble decent cast and then churn out a subpar product (see very recent examples of Triple Frontier and The Highwaymen).

They should concentrate on getting the licenses of actually decent movies and dail back their mostly for shit original programming.

They just picked up the rights to this flick.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
They just picked up the rights to this flick.
So it's another Cloverfield Paradox tier aquisition. It's still another shoddy pickup by the company and money that could be better spent on aquiring licenses of actually good movies.

I stand corrected that this was a netflix original production though.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Netflix: "People are saying Bird Box is an A Quiet Place rip-off? That's ridiculous! They haven't even seen our actual A Quiet Place rip-off yet!"

Yes, the story is a rip off of The Quiet Place, despite the fact that the novel was published three years before A Quiet Place. The author of The Silence has a time machine. It's the only explanation!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N6PCJOG/

The drive-by hot takes ITT are amazing.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Another thing i noticed from this is Sabrina is almost unrecognizable here. She is very different here compared to sabrina, almost like a different person

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Was pretty much as I expected. It was only 85 minutes and just felt rushed. It was like it was setup for 70 minutes and then a 15 minute ending that somehow incorporated a shit villain and an ending that basically feels like the writers went "Oh crap, we've only got two more pages left, better suddenly tie things up and yet try and leave it open ended".

I thought Bird Box was supremely average at best but it was better than this. Thank God for Stanley Tucci is all I can say!

It's always odd to me how it seems a lot of Netflix's cinematic output seems to get a pass from people because it's not actually being released theatrically. It's as if there's a view along the lines of "It's not come out at the cinema so it's unfair to judge it to that standard." almost as if not being released in theatres somehow means a film can't be held to the same standards as those that are.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix emailed me about 5 times and gave me a couple of push notifications to tell me this movie was out.
They want people watching this shite.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I thought this movie was thrash. Up there with the worst I have seen. I love to know more about the production of the movie. Was there trouble with the production? The way the movie just wraps up seems odd.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
I usually love these kind of movies but this one is stinky man, the acting was bad, the cgi was bad, the writing was bad... Pretty much throughout the whole movie I never could really immerse myself in it because I was constantly distracted and frustrated by the shoddy writing and plot holes.

Steeven

Oct 26, 2017
This is one awful movie. It is so bad I need to vent and warn people not to watch it. It is utter trash. I seldomly give movies a 1 star rating but this one takes the cake. While labeled as 'horror' and 'thriller' it never delivers in terms of scaryness, nor in terms of thrills. What remains is a lame, hastened, 'horror checklist' flick without any surprises, but full with plot holes. While I can enjoy a film that has these flaws but doesn't take itself too serious. this movie does. Also, the whole premise is way too convenient. You can predict which characters will die. The deaf girl can speak, yell, or whisper in perfect volume although being, you know, DEAF. The creatures that hunt by sound apparently can't register footsteps. And wtf was up with the priest side-story, was that supposed to be scary? The ending also felt incredibly rushed. It was such a waste of time and I can't believe I watched it until the credits popped up.

Also, the main protagonist finds the perfect solution to deal with the issue at hand, but doesn't bother to finish it for whatever reason. Another thing that bothered me was the cheap and forced use of shock, like the woman and the baby being forced off the subway or the dog being kicked out of the car. I guess they knew what a shitshow the movie was and in a desperate attempt forced some lame scenarios onto the viewer in order to impress the audience. Even in that regard it failed.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
The Mrs chose this to watch tonight, after loving A Quite Place and Bird Box.

God what a pile of shite this film is. Half way through it now.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is not a ripoff of A Quiet Place. Do some research before saying that. It's based off of a book that came out well before (2015 to be exact) A Quiet Place

TheSilencesales.jpg

I just watched it. Part of the reason was Stanley Tucci, and the rest of the cast that I recognized. Another was I'm a sucker for decent horror movies. Lastly, I borrowed the book from the library before.

I didn't realize it was based on the book and not just similar until after it started, and by that point I decided to just watch it even though I never got to the book while I had it. Other movies based on books that I've seen recently have been somewhat different, so there will still be value to the book if I want to read it. Plus, the Wii U Netflix app is awful and it takes minute(s) to pause or close things and I was just too lazy to bother getting up and doing so at 2am.

Like others said, it really wasn't that good. Okay might be being generous. It's forgettable and not very good.

I liked parts of it, thought the family was a good set of characters, and felt for the dog. The premise was also interesting. But little about it really stands out, and A Quiet Place is a lot better.

It took so long to get to where it went, then completely fast forwarded to an abrupt ending and a silly final scene befitting a movie like The Darkest Minds.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018
The Mrs chose this to watch tonight, after loving A Quite Place and Bird Box.

God what a pile of shite this film is. Half way through it now.
Did your Mrs enjoy it? I personally thought Bird Box was shit and Quiet Place to be dull. So this movie I felt is weaker of the two but kind of falls in line with same crap as Bird Box. Lame ass ending though