Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Great news for Kiseki fans!

supremezerker said:
With great pleasure, I can finally say that the Trails from Zero editing is at 50%. Despite the longer gap between updates, progress continues to move forward, relentlessly. I hope you enjoy the treat we've thrown together for this big milestone! For this update, I'm simply going to talk about the journey thus far and plans for the project.

https://geofront.esterior.net/2017/12/11/trails-zero-50/

There's also a progress demo movie at the link.

Chaosblade has hinted this earlier in the Kiseki Community thread. Nice to see it finally confirmed. Many thanks to Pasokon Deacon for the heads up!

Turn me in to Crossbell Police Force if old.

Last edited:

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
Hope the translation is decent, I'd love to play Zero and don't have much hope for an official translation.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see the fans take this into their own hands. The video there is looking pretty good. If they can manage to fix all of the really major issues with the PC port, then this will be a real treat.

I still 100% believe that XSEED intends to try to work on Zero/Ao, at least if this project doesn't eat their lunch first.
I actually agree with this. I'm actually surprised that they haven't contacted them to expedite it since XSEED seems to have no qualms with licensing fan translations in the first place.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Any news on localization of the Crossbell arc games (offical or fan translation, I'll take either one at this point) is a good thing.

I really want to be able to play those games in english before Clad Steel 3 is localized.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
So cool to see this come so far after everything that's happened. I hope things work out good with Ao's English edit as well.

I actually agree with this. I'm actually surprised that they haven't contacted them to expedite it since XSEED seems to have no qualms with licensing fan translations in the first place.
Whether or not XSEED would license a fan translation for huge Kiseki game or two is debatable. They already had to edit Zwei: TII over a longer period than usual, which is largely why Tom translated and edited Zwei: TAA completely in-house to speed things up. Maybe Zero no Kiseki's English script has had enough drama and evolution to put off XSEED from licensing it outright instead of doing their own work...maybe not. I don't think most English players of the Cold Steel arc will get an opportunity to play Zero and Azure in pristine XSEED-like localization quality before Cold Steel III arrives, but any progress is better than nothing.

Last edited:

Se7enSword

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
Great work by everyone on the project so far! Thank you for the impressive progress.

I shall patiently wait for it to be completed.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see the fans take this into their own hands. The video there is looking pretty good. If they can manage to fix all of the really major issues with the PC port, then this will be a real treat.

I feel like it's a lot less likely they'd do it with Kiseki than with Ys or Zwei, for a few reasons. In the case of Ys, I, II, Felghana, and Origin were all done by the same team, and thus were internally consistent already. XSEED only had to tidy things up a little here and there, adapt the games for more modern systems, and release. Zwei 2 was the first game that XSEED released from its respective series, so they didn't have to worry about consistency. And in the cases of both Ys and Zwei 2, the fan translation scripts were already done (or virtually done) and quite polished when XSEED licensed them.

Kiseki is a much more complex and continuity-heavy series, of course, and so I think that rather than try to check over every inch of the Zero fan translation to ensure its accuracy and consistency with previous series localizations (which would take ages on its own), XSEED would probably want to do their own localization from scratch, with the same people who are usually involved.

There's also the question of whether the quality of the editing would be on the level of the Ys or Zwei projects, which would significantly affect how much editing of their own XSEED would need to do. And if the edits would be significant, they'd need to worry about keeping stylistic consistency with what's already there... If it were to get to the point where they'd want to make heavy edits throughout the whole project, it might just be easier to start with a fresh script rather than starting with someone else's already-edited work.

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Whether or not XSEED would license a fan translation for huge Kiseki game or two is debatable. They already had to edit Zwei: TII over a longer period than usual, which is largely why Tom translated and edited Zwei: TAA completely in-house to speed things up. Maybe Zero no Kiseki's English script has had enough drama and evolution to put off XSEED from licensing it outright instead of doing their own work...maybe not. I don't think most English players of the Cold Steel arc will get an opportunity to play Zero and Azure in pristine XSEED-like localization quality before Cold Steel III arrives, but any progress is better than nothing.
Hatsuu has indicated she would rather work from scratch than with an existing fan translation on numerous occasions, so I expect that when (not if) XSEED starts working on it, they start from scratch.

I also believe that the situation of Cold Steel III, and inevitably IV, is much more time-sensitive. They've done the first half of the Cold Steel arc and they most certainly want to finish it as much as Falcom wants to -- and as we've seen before, Falcom doesn't mind licensing their franchises to publishers other than XSEED.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Hatsuu has indicated she would rather work from scratch than with an existing fan translation on numerous occasions, so I expect that when (not if) XSEED starts working on it, they start from scratch.

I also believe that the situation of Cold Steel III, and inevitably IV, is much more time-sensitive. They've done the first half of the Cold Steel arc and they most certainly want to finish it as much as Falcom wants to -- and as we've seen before, Falcom doesn't mind licensing their franchises to publishers other than XSEED.

I think it's fairly likely that NISA will get the Cold Steel III license since they went to such efforts to rectify the Ys VIII situation. They could have just left it as-is but are going through a huge effort to make things right for Falcom and everyone else.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fairly likely that NISA will get the Cold Steel III license since they went to such efforts to rectify the Ys VIII situation. They could have just left it as-is but are going through a huge effort to make things right for Falcom and everyone else.
...Not that I really expect even the end result to be free of issues, considering the localization director said in an interview recently that he wasn't aware of any bad or erroneous translations, only awkward editing. (There are definitely a number of translation mistakes.)

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the hard work.

Being a western fan of trails is a blessing and a curse with the Crossbell games being unlocalized. Now that dream is becoming a reality.

Will not hesitate to support Xseed if they decide to make their own version of course.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
*flap*flap*
Praised be KeA. Can't wait to replay Zero.

They better don't. I'm not buying a Kiseki game unless it's from XSEED.
YsVIII localisation was embarrassingly bad.
Even Zero hiperliteral translation sounded more natural.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
*flap*flap*
Praised be KeA. Can't wait to replay Zero.

They better don't. I'm not buying a Kiseki game unless it's from XSEED.
YsVIII localisation was embarrassingly bad.
Even Zero hiperliteral translation sounded more natural.

Oh come on now. As bad as Ys VIII was, it was still far better than that.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
...Not that I really expect even the end result to be free of issues, considering the localization director said in an interview recently that he wasn't aware of any bad or erroneous translations, only awkward editing. (There are definitely a number of translation mistakes.)
Yeah, I just don't see why they would go to such lengths to try and fix things if they weren't already planning on working with Falcom again.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Or maybe hire someone to do it that doesn't mess it up so bad the first time...

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Oh come on now. As bad as Ys VIII was, it was still far better than that.
First chapters of Zero are pretty rough, but later chapters aren't that bad.
And at least it always feels like it was actually english. Hiperliteral english that nobody has bothered to edit, but English.
I can't say the same for YsVIII

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Or maybe they could've just released good work to begin with and not have to go through all the trouble of having to re-translate the whole game. Dosen't take away the fact they released it like that to begin with.

If NISA gets there hands on a Trails game I'm not picking it up. Not till I see them doing actual effort in the localization.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This looks great.

Only problem is the position western fans will be in with these. Zero has a good shot at being finished before CS3, but not Azure. So does someone play CS3 first and presumably spoil everything from Azure, or do they sit on CS3 and wait for Azure's fan translation first. Being a fan translation there's no telling how long it could end up taking if life happens to get in the way.

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
This looks great.

Only problem is the position western fans will be in with these. Zero has a good shot at being finished before CS3, but not Azure. So does someone play CS3 first and presumably spoil everything from Azure, or do they sit on CS3 and wait for Azure's fan translation first. Being a fan translation there's no telling how long it could end up taking if life happens to get in the way.
The "problem" is the lack of patience. Those with no patience could play the leaked version of Zero, the semi-machine translated version of Ao and wrestle their way through Sen III using Google Translate's instant translate. Totally possible.

With Zero, we're aiming for the best possible experience we can offer. Compared to professional, dedicated localisation publishers, like XSEED, we're amateurs. Hobbyists if you will. But what we lack in experience we make up for with passion and enthusiasm. The synergy in the group is incredible. For Trails to Azure, Zerker and co. have already indicated they're willing to dedicate another year and a half of their spare time to deliver the best possible experience.

I'd suggest buy Cold Steel III and all its DLC to support XSEED. And then you wait for Azure, as long as you can afford it.

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
Great news as I won't let me spoil the Crossbell arc by playing Cold Steel 3 first (the CS2 epilogue was bad enough).

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The "problem" is the lack of patience. Those with no patience could play the leaked version of Zero, the semi-machine translated version of Ao and wrestle their way through Sen III using Google Translate's instant translate. Totally possible.

With Zero, we're aiming for the best possible experience we can offer. Compared to professional, dedicated localisation publishers, like XSEED, we're amateurs. Hobbyists if you will. But what we lack in experience we make up for with passion and enthusiasm. The synergy in the group is incredible. For Trails to Azure, Zerker and co. have already indicated they're willing to dedicate another year and a half of their spare time to deliver the best possible experience.

I'd suggest buy Cold Steel III and all its DLC to support XSEED. And then you wait for Azure, as long as you can afford it.

These are progressing really quickly by fan translation standards despite the scope of the project. If Zero hits its target date of next summer and Ao progresses similarly and takes maybe a year and a half, that wouldn't be too bad.

But that assumes no roadblocks. Lots of projects hit snags and end up taking years longer than anticipated, or the people involved are just not able to return in a capacity that will allow them to finish, or they just get burned out. It's definitely a concern when we're talking about a project that hasn't even really started yet and the best case scenario for release is over two years from now, but hopefully it won't be as issue.

varkuriru

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent work! Guess I will double dip on Zero soon as I already got the PSP version.

All in all it works out on the timing - I'll support CS3 but will not touch it until we get a western release date for CSIV :D

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me where I can buy the PC version for this game?

I am a huge fan of the Trails series..

Thanks

Edit: I just noticed there is no evolution version for PC

Last edited:

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Compared to other games in the series, how big is the script? I imagine nothing will ever beat TiTS 2, but Cold Steel's aren't anything to laugh at either. Is it comparable to those branches in the series?

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to other games in the series, how big is the script? I imagine nothing will ever beat TiTS 2, but Cold Steel's aren't anything to laugh at either. Is it comparable to those branches in the series?

I think Ao is bigger than SC.
You have access to the whole Crosbell almost from the beginning and most NPC change their dialogue after any plot event.

Zero's script was around SC size IIRC

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Btw just watch the video and noticed the title change.
What motivated the change from "Trails to Zero"?. Wasn't it a reference to
KeA being the Zero child
?

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Btw just watch the video and noticed the title change.
What motivated the change from "Trails to Zero"?. Wasn't it a reference to
KeA being the Zero child
?

The beginning of Falcom's Ao trailer has the statement "from Zero to Azure". And if you study the plot of both Crossbell games said statement makes sense given your huge spoiler. So the title was changed accordingly.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
The beginning of Falcom's Ao trailer has the statement "from Zero to Azure". And if you study the plot of both Crossbell games said statement makes sense given your huge spoiler. So the title was changed accordingly.
I always read it as "trails leading to Zero" but I guess both make sense. More so if Falcom put it in the trailer.
Thanks!

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
A while back I made this comparison that compares the Kiseki scripts to the largest visual novels. That should be a good indication how massive these scripts are.

Edit.
If you want to visualise these numbers, SC's localised script is 120% the length of Tolstoy's War and Peace.

b34a2a4bb16e2ea5795b4e567e8c886f--peace-jets.jpg

Last edited:

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
When finished, will this patch work with the vita Zero no Kiseki Evolution version?

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
When finished, will this patch work with the vita Zero no Kiseki Evolution version?
The original translation team focused on the PSP version whereas we are focusing on (improving) the PC port, meaning we got two out of three versions covered. We haven't really looked into the Evolution version yet, but I imagine we'll aim for compatibility with that one as well.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me where I can buy the PC version for this game?

I am a huge fan of the Trails series..
You can buy digital version of Zero on PC, from a number of sellers. (https://www.falcom.com/game/game_windownload.html) Zero is the fifth game from the top. For some of these stores you might need a Japanese VPN as they are geoblocking it. ProtonVPN is a free service I would recommend, they have a free Japanese server that should be more than fast enough to handle buying from a store. And you might need some Google Translate Fu.

r66kl.gif

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
The original translation team focused on the PSP version whereas we are focusing on (improving) the PC port, meaning we got two out of three versions covered. We haven't really looked into the Evolution version yet, but I imagine we'll aim for compatibility with that one as well.
There's hope! Thanks for all the hard work!

supremezerker

Dec 11, 2017
Yo, I'm the lead editor on the project. I appreciate all the support and we plan to give this game the quality it deserves!

NexasX

Oct 29, 2017
Glad to hear progress is going smoothly on this so far! Looking forward to diving into the arc everyone's been raving about.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, i'm playing the old translation, but i'm facing some bugs, you cant cook or play any minigames in that old version, otherwise the game crashes on the vita.

i should wait for this version
i Just investigated the hospital
, but my curiosity is big, i suggest anyone that intends to play on vita to wait

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

While a very rough way to go, I think it really comes off as a simple, negative association to just mark fans with "lack of patience" while leaving it at that. It has been a time since the original releases and I, along with others, wanted the greater context of officially licensed titles before playing them or closer to when they released.

In any case, I appreciate the work being put into the projects as the two titles deserve to be properly translated. I'm considering checking out the translation, assuming it releases.

Okay, that makes more sense with this context, as not waiting for XSeed to officially license it for localization can also be seen as impatience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.