Status
Not open for further replies.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
I still 100% believe that XSEED intends to try to work on Zero/Ao, at least if this project doesn't eat their lunch first.

I really hope you're right. Would love to see it happen. I love the series and want more.

I would imagine that if they are intending on translating it, that the switch might be an option now ontop of a steam version? That would be amazing.

Barring an official release though, this fan translation sounds awesome and I love this team for doing it!

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I really hope you're right. Would love to see it happen. I love the series and want more.

I would imagine that if they are intending on translating it, that the switch might be an option now ontop of a steam version? That would be amazing.

Barring an official release though, this fan translation sounds awesome and I love this team for doing it!
No real point in doing a Switch version when none of the other games in the franchise are on the platform and they are all connected. I wouldn't recommend anyone to start with the Crossbell arc.

preta

Oct 25, 2017

There's no way that they're getting Switch ports. The Sky games would have to get them first and the Cold Steel games would likely have to come too at some point, and I don't really see porting the whole series to a new platform as a priority for XSEED.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way that they're getting Switch ports. The Sky games would have to get them first and the Cold Steel games would likely have to come too at some point, and I don't really see porting the whole series to a new platform as a priority for XSEED.

Makes sense. Was just curious. Would love to see the series reach more people. I generally play them on PC and don't need more than that.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No real point in doing a Switch version when none of the other games in the franchise are on the platform and they are all connected. I wouldn't recommend anyone to start with the Crossbell arc.

A lot of people started from Cold Steel, so I think starting from Crossbell will be fine too.

Oct 31, 2017
Appreciate it, Swweet! That's the plan. Always down to answer questions about the project, if any ever pop up, everyone.

I saw this reply on your website : "There will be one for PSP, but it will be limited to script insertion. We are primarily focused on improving the PC version and using that."

What do you mean exactly concerning the PSP version ? Also, could you tell us more about the PC version ?

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't recommend starting from Cold Steel either really, but Crossbell is an even worse place to start.

I wouldn't recommend either, but people who started from Cold Steel were just fine, so I don't think it's a big deal.
For Crossbell, there is more spoiler for Sky, but it's not that much more than what Cold Steel spoiled Sky so people will be ok.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't recommend either, but people who started from Cold Steel were just fine, so I don't think it's a big deal.
For Crossbell, there is more spoiler for Sky, but it's not that much more than what Cold Steel spoiled Sky so people will be ok.
It might be a bit too early to say that people will be fine starting from CS when they've only played the first 2 out of 4 and 3 is bringing back a bunch of the characters from the older games. Who even knows what's going to happen with the final one.
You could start watching Star Wars from episode 6 but you'd get a lot more out of it if you watched 4 and 5 first.

supremezerker

Dec 11, 2017
I saw this reply on your website : "There will be one for PSP, but it will be limited to script insertion. We are primarily focused on improving the PC version and using that."

What do you mean exactly concerning the PSP version ? Also, could you tell us more about the PC version ?

Well, as far as I'm aware, we're simply going with a script insertion for PSP. That meaning everything will be in edited English. However, it's possible that there will be a few text overflows, given that we are focusing on the PC version. For PC, we plan to make the port run smoothly, change textures in-game, and all sorts of other neat stuff. Hopefully that cleared things up!

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Crossbell is much more dependent on older games than Cold Steel is (at least I and II).

Several recurring characters and insesitive jerks show up. And a pretty important Zero's sub-plot is a direct continuation from The 3rd.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Japanese fans started with the Crossbell games. In fact, going by sales, many of them actually started with Ao.

Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki Falcom 118,520
Eiyuu Densetsu: Ao no Kiseki Falcom 194,940

This is where the series really took off initially.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's no real way to prove whether or not Zero was sold to someone who's never played a Kiseki game before and someone who has.

Either way it's not something that any fan should recommend.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
A lot of Japanese fans started with the Crossbell games. In fact, going by sales, many of them actually started with Ao.

Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki Falcom 118,520
Eiyuu Densetsu: Ao no Kiseki Falcom 194,940

This is where the series really took off initially.
That's really weird. I would never want to start in the midle of an arc like that.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's no real way to prove whether or not Zero was sold to someone who's never played a Kiseki game before and someone who has.

Either way it's not something that any fan should recommend.
We can analyze the sales of earlier games in the series, which did not break 100k. So either a lot of people bought used copies or they started with the Crossbell games.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Crossbell is much more dependent on older games than Cold Steel is (at least I and II).

Several recurring characters and insesitive jerks show up. And a pretty important Zero's sub-plot is a direct continuation from The 3rd.

I know which one you are talking about, but we are looking as fan who has followed this series from the start (Sora).
For people who start there it just might make them curious to know what happened before, or maybe they will just brush it off as side stories.
Cold Steel I particularly spoiled a major story character background in Sora as well as a book in the library spoiling major story events.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
We can analyze the sales of earlier games in the series, which did not break 100k. So either a lot of people bought used copies or they started with the Crossbell games.

Released before Zero no Kiseki PSP in Japan

Trails in the Sky FC (PSP) LTD: 69.764
Trails in the Sky SC (PSP) LTD: 96.355
Trails in the Sky 3rd (PSP) LTD: 98.617
Trails in the Sky FC & SC Complete (PSP Bundle) LTD: 3.100
Trails in the Sky Set (PSP Bundle) LTD: 10.397
Trails in the Sky Set Super Price (PSP Bundle) LTD: 10.248
Trails in the Sky Set Best Selection (PSP Bundle) LTD: 16.635

If anything, I think the number of people who bought Zero as their first Kiseki game is probably less than 10%, and that is being generous. We do not have any of the PC sales data for the Sky games, and Falcom stuck around on PC for quite a while. Unless Sky fans are so super hardcore that they bought the same game 4+ times or something, which I doubt. And given the extreme prevalence of the used games market in Japan, it actually wouldn't surprise me if that was a big buffering point towards Ao either.

The real breakout point for this series was Cold Steel 1 and 2 which are actually designed as entry games.

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
While a very rough way to go, I think it really comes off as a simple, negative association to just mark fans with "lack of patience" while leaving it at that. It has been a time since the original releases and I, along with others, wanted the greater context of officially licensed titles before playing them or closer to when they released.

In any case, I appreciate the work being put into the projects as the two titles deserve to be properly translated. I'm considering checking out the translation, assuming it releases.

Okay, that makes more sense with this context, as not waiting for XSeed to officially license it for localization can also be seen as impatience.
As for the greater context: We did not initiate this project. When the original project lead and editor simply vanished without a trail (pun intended), the translation team decided to release their work unedited to, understandably, not have their efforts go to waste. When I learnt about that, omgfloofy and I decided to step in to finish what the original project lead should've been doing. Our motivation was to prevent fans from experiencing a highly literal translation, as the translator Guren had been instructed to by the original project lead, of this great game. It was unfortunate that one QA tester leaked a in-progress version back in February, but the many fans were still willing to wait for the edited version reassured us that we did the right thing. Initial progress was slow, until supremezerker offered to help, who led us to where we are now.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Released before Zero no Kiseki PSP in Japan

Trails in the Sky FC (PSP) LTD: 69.764
Trails in the Sky SC (PSP) LTD: 96.355
Trails in the Sky 3rd (PSP) LTD: 98.617
Trails in the Sky FC & SC Complete (PSP Bundle) LTD: 3.100
Trails in the Sky Set (PSP Bundle) LTD: 10.397
Trails in the Sky Set Super Price (PSP Bundle) LTD: 10.248
Trails in the Sky Set Best Selection (PSP Bundle) LTD: 16.635

If anything, I think the number of people who bought Zero as their first Kiseki game is probably less than 10%, and that is being generous. We do not have any of the PC sales data for the Sky games, and Falcom stuck around on PC for quite a while. Unless Sky fans are so super hardcore that they bought the same game 4+ times or something, which I doubt. And given the extreme prevalence of the used games market in Japan, it actually wouldn't surprise me if that was a big buffering point towards Ao either.

The real breakout point for this series was Cold Steel 1 and 2 which are actually designed as entry games.

We know that PC sales were bad enough that their publisher dropped them, which is what made them move to PSP development in the first place. And we know that Kondo said that PSP sales were much greater than PC sales. Falcom also marketed Zero no Kiseki as Legend of Heroes 7, which from an outsider's perspective makes it seem like another place to jump in.

As for Falcom fans being super hardcore, yes, Falcom's business was actually sustained by the premium market for years. They banked on people spending extra money, and double dipping. This wasn't a massive contingent, but it was a reliable one. I personally own every version of every game in the series that has been released except the best/super price versions.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
SoftBank mainly dropped PC distribution of Falcom games because of Zwei II's abysmal performance, unless there's data out for Sora 3rd which suggests that was a factor as well. I wouldn't mind seeing English-translated transcripts of shareholder meetings from the 2000s if that helps us piece things together. (On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure SoftBank publishing RINNE instead of Falcom shows how much control the corporation had over PC distribution back then.)

Oct 31, 2017
Well, as far as I'm aware, we're simply going with a script insertion for PSP. That meaning everything will be in edited English. However, it's possible that there will be a few text overflows, given that we are focusing on the PC version. For PC, we plan to make the port run smoothly, change textures in-game, and all sorts of other neat stuff. Hopefully that cleared things up!

Thank you for your answer.

Will the PC version run on Windows 10 (I've seen "for windows 8/7/Vista/XP" on Zero's box) ? Also, is there some kind of DRM on the PC version ?

Sorry if you already answered those questions !

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
While we are talking about Trails, does anyone plays Akatsuki no Kiseki ?

I have been playing recently (very little though) and I'm enjoying the little connections to the Sky/Crossbell games.
However, I never even seen mention of anyone thinking of localizing the game. It's still a canon game written by Falcom, right ? Any reason for the complete lack of interest in it ?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

I have been playing recently (very little though) and I'm enjoying the little connections to the Sky/Crossbell games.
However, I never even seen mention of anyone thinking of localizing the game. It's still a canon game written by Falcom, right ? Any reason for the complete lack of interest in it ?

It's more difficult to localise since it would require constant work and maintenance for new events and content. The series is still niche enough in the west that it's not viable to bring over.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
It's more difficult to localise since it would require constant work and maintenance for new events and content. The series is still niche enough in the west that it's not viable to bring over.

I think the main issue is the lack of an Androi/iOS version. There's plenty of smaller japanese gatchas being localized, however, the Trails games have a lot more dialogue and I'm completely baffled by he fact that the game does not have a mobile version.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
hope it won't take too long, i really need to do zero and ao before cold steel 3, since it seems you will really miss a lot in this one, even more than cold steel 2, without them!

the best thing would be for xceed to officially announce them, then i would gladly wait to play cold steel 3 until these are release (would still buy it day one to support them)

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Thank you for your answer.

Will the PC version run on Windows 10 (I've seen "for windows 8/7/Vista/XP" on Zero's box) ? Also, is there some kind of DRM on the PC version ?

Sorry if you already answered those questions !
The PC versions runs on Windows 10 and the Japanese version, which we're working with, has no kind of DRM as far as I know.

The overarching story in Akatsuki is unrewarding, and the amount of effort/time/grinding/money it demands to advance is ridiculous. The enjoyment lies primarily in gathering favourite characters and the timed/seasonal exclusive characters.

CuzwSw0XgAA4Prv.jpg
CuzwTbJWAAAGCSE.jpg

A year ago, I posted a PoC that Akatsuki can actually be fan translated. The story is still unfolding with occasional new chapters and UserJoy tends to re-write older lines, making it unwise to translate until it's completed.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks !

And there's no JP PC version of the sequel, right ?

Nope, only Zero.

Sounds like the PC version should be so much better that even if Ao requires stepping back to PSP, it's at least worth playing the much better version of Zero.

Wouldn't it be great if enough people bought Zero for the fan translation that Falcom changed their mind and released Ao? Too bad that will never happen.

Oct 31, 2017
Nope, only Zero.

Sounds like the PC version should be so much better that even if Ao requires stepping back to PSP, it's at least worth playing the much better version of Zero.

Wouldn't it be great if enough people bought Zero for the fan translation that Falcom changed their mind and released Ao? Too bad that will never happen.

Ok. I've seen there's a Chinese PC version of Ao but I heard bad things about Falcom games in chinese (DRM).

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I've seen there's a Chinese PC version of Ao but I heard bad things about Falcom games in chinese (DRM).

Yeah, they will have to try to strip out the DRM with the patch if they support that version. It's likely less easy to buy than Falcom's Japanese version as well, which is on some digital sites and you can just order a physical copy direct from Falcom and they ship internationally.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
The overarching story in Akatsuki is unrewarding, and the amount of effort/time/grinding/money it demands to advance is ridiculous. The enjoyment lies primarily in gathering favourite characters and the timed/seasonal exclusive characters.
Had no idea since I'm still in the beginning. Just got to Grancel.

My game experience also should be very different because I started in a period where they were giving 4* Lloyd and Elie.
I also got a 4* Sherazard fairly quick too. So this 4* team pretty much destroyed anything initially.
Now it's damn hard to get another good unit too. Been trying to pull Mia for days and, so far, nothing. I also didn't get nothing worthy when I was trying for Sharly.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, they will have to try to strip out the DRM with the patch if they support that version. It's likely less easy to buy than Falcom's Japanese version as well, which is on some digital sites and you can just order a physical copy direct from Falcom and they ship internationally.

Oh, which digital sites have the PC version of Zero ? I was looking at the retail version but if there's a digital one, I think I'll go with that !

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
The PC versions runs on Windows 10 and the Japanese version, which we're working with, has no kind of DRM as far as I know.

A year ago, I posted a PoC that Akatsuki can actually be fan translated. The story is still unfolding with occasional new chapters and UserJoy tends to re-write older lines, making it unwise to translate until it's completed.
My secret head canon is that Falcom/user joy will release an offline version when they decide to wrap up the story, and make the necessary adjustments. If Xenoblade 2 can get away with gacha elements in a single-player rpg...

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
I just figured the DRM in Ao might be an impediment but perhaps not. And yeah, I knew that about Zero.
Since there are strings within the executable that would need to be translated, this modified executable would be released of DRM as well.

Hm, do we have an estimate on how long the translation will take until it's done?
I'm short on funds so I don't want to buy a game to only play it several months from now. It will probably be on sale again.

And for Ao we'd have to get the chinese version right?
Will they start translating it after finishing Zero?
We aim to wrap up editing Zero's script Summer 2018. As the three of us are primarily focused on editing the script, Ribose continues to proofread, keeping consistency throughout the script and tracking issues, JoseJL is busy polishing insertion script and the sloppiness found in the PC port, and Floofy has been working on editing images. That means that once the editing is done and the images are inserted, we can delve into QA straight away.

I bet it'll be on sale again before we release the patch.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Since there are strings within the executable that would need to be translated, this modified executable would be released of DRM as well.

We aim to wrap up editing Zero's script Summer 2018. As the three of us are primarily focused on editing the script, Ribose continues to proofread, keeping consistency throughout the script and tracking issues, JoseJL is busy polishing insertion script and the sloppiness found in the PC port, and Floofy has been working on editing images. That means that once the editing is done and the images are inserted, we can delve into QA straight away.

I bet it'll be on sale again before we release the patch.

Thanks.
God bless you guys for all your hard work.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I missed this thread. I don't have much to add, other than that I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks to the team! It's looking great so far.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Watching that video really makes me want to play it NOW!

Man, if the scripts are SC levels of big, this is an absolutely amazing undertaking, you guys are friggin' heroes.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
From what little I've heard of this game (or the Crossbell saga, to be precise), it has the potential to become my by far favorite Trails game, one I'd not just feel lukewarm about but actually love. Excited to check it out some time next year.

Take your time, though.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hope it won't take too long, i really need to do zero and ao before cold steel 3, since it seems you will really miss a lot in this one, even more than cold steel 2, without them!

the best thing would be for xceed to officially announce them, then i would gladly wait to play cold steel 3 until these are release (would still buy it day one to support them)

CS2 and 3 are heavily influenced by knowing Zero and Ao? Guess I'm stopping after I finish 3rd then

Status
Not open for further replies.