• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Topic: A transwoman kills herself

CisEra: Imma argue semantics about the title instead.

Never change, Era. And by that, I mean do change.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So much of this thread is just people calling out the OP for...reporting on the topic in a way that would help give context for people? Excel is one of the posters I know who's LEAST likely to start a thread in bad faith. Why all the doubt?

It's really, really sad that Daphne got to a point where she couldn't go on any longer. It's unlikely we'll ever have the full story as to why she got there, but losing a marginalized voice in comedy is always extra tragic. The comedy world needs more diverse voices and we should be doing everything we can to raise them up.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So much of this thread is just people calling out the OP for...reporting on the topic in a way that would help give context for people? Excel is one of the posters I know who's LEAST likely to start a thread in bad faith. Why all the doubt?

It's really, really sad that Daphne got to a point where she couldn't go on any longer. It's unlikely we'll ever have the full story as to why she got there, but losing a marginalized voice in comedy is always extra tragic. The comedy world needs more diverse voices and we should be doing everything we can to raise them up.
Yeah I'm not sure why people think a trans person posting a story about another trans person committing suicide is in 'bad faith'.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I....completely misunderstood this thread due to the title. I'm sorry that someone commit suicide. That is horrible. I hope anyone in their situation can get more help in preventing the same sort of outcome. This world eats some people alive and sometimes, people truly need help or even just a true friend.

Life is difficult :(

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
That jokes kill people, when in fact her death seemingly had nothing to do with Dave's jokes. If you look at her twitter she thought highly of him. It's just a sad situation all around.

The jokes don't literally kill people but normalizing transphobia through comedy is not a good thing.

I hope her daughter will be okay. Her Facebook post wrecked me...I'm in tears.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a mess. I think her association with Dave Chappell is important, but it turned into a proxy battle that's steering towards a very gross unspoken sentiment: she was wrong, and this was her consequence.

Ignignot739

Dec 20, 2018
So having just learned about this now I do have some thoughts. I don't believe Dave Chappelle hurt her with his jokes. She definitely really loved and respected the guy and was willing to stick her neck out for him. Though part of me wonders if Dave put a bunch of extra pressure on her by telling these stories and naming her/showing her off in the special. Like even in the midst of all the callout culture with Dave, I didn't see anyone going after or questioning Daphne. Part of me wonders if trolls found out and they started sniffing around, but there's no way we'll truly know. Some people on Twitter said she was involved in a really awful custody battle that took a toll on her.

There is one joke from "Sticks and Stones" though that now has a pretty bitter sting to it. Remember that he opens the show talking about "Why would Anthony Bourdain commit suicide?" He talks at length about how he had a great life meanwhile people who had it rougher don't commit suicide. He ends that note saying "No matter what it might look like from the outside, you don't know what the fuck is going on inside." I really really hope Dave was there for Daphne in a time of need.