• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
In terms of gameplay you are right. But you don't play Suda games for it's gameplay but for it's story.

And that's still something not for everyone, but he's an unique author, that's for sure
I kind of disagree with that you don't play suda game for the gameplay though.
Killer7 is a much better game the way it is than if it was a regular 3rd person shooter that are a dime a dozen.
Suda games aren't critic friendly.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I'm rarely the type to whine about higher scores justifying a price tag, but the review text on many of these has me worried. I love the variation previous NMH games show even if they were some of the weaker parts of the overall experience. While it sounds like variation is big here, if the variations are the best playing parts of the game, that's troubling.

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of disagree with that you don't play suda game for the gameplay though.
Killer7 is a much better game the way it is than if it was a regular 3rd person shooter that are a dime a dozen.
Suda games aren't critic friendly.
That's such a weird thing to say when some critics are Suda fans. They're not out of touch first timers.

People here argue about bias and subjectivity with reviews all the time, but what Grasshopper games would you rate higher than an 8 without a giant list of cons?

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Way higher than expected, given the type of game it actually is. Not that it mattered, since it's one of my favorite franchises and I'm super glad to support it!

Though I still am upset with Suda stepping on and almost ruining my nice shoes.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That's such a weird thing to say when some critics are Suda fans. They're not out of touch first timers.

People here argue about bias and subjectivity with reviews all the time, but what Grasshopper games would you rate higher than an 8 without a giant list of cons?
The game he makes are not something that fare well in a critical review format regardless of whether or not someone is a fan or not.
And I certainly would think even a professional critic despite being a fan would be professional enough to point out the issues the game has.
Killer7 fared fairly poorly (RS faired even worse and that's a GOTG we're talking here) but I'm not saying that the reviews are wrong or entitled to their opinions.
I have other priorities than critics so my assessments being different is kind of expected.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017

I personally hold all of the games he directed in high regard, especially Killer7 and 25th Ward. What are 'cons' for some people, utterly do not matter or are completely overshadowed by other elements of those games for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Was concerned that it would be doing much worse reviews-wise. Happy to see a 70.
Can't wait to get my hands on it. Although, I'm worried about this big spoiler.

Killer7 had a 74 meta, as a point of reference
Of all the low scores that Suda games have received, that one seems the most glaring.

Besides being a great game, I also think Killer7 aged way better than the standard shooters that came out around its release. So it's strange seeing that it scored so poorly.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Thought this would be $40 game and thus a hard pass with those wildly different reviews. At 25 I'll consider it in the future.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Of all the low scores that Suda games have received, that one seems the most glaring.

Besides being a great game, I also think Killer7 aged way better than the standard shooters that came out around its release. So it's strange seeing that it scored so poorly.
Did you see how the game controls, the pace of the game and even just the general gameplay?
It goes against all gaming conventions at the time and even now.
You have to be R* to be able to get away with that unscathed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A Suda 51 game annoying critics and getting a sea of 7/10s?

Sign me the fuck up.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

NMH1 (and probably 2 but I haven't played it in so long) and Shadows of the Damned are solid 8's for sure. I really liked what I played of Killer 7, but didn't finish it. I also personally adore Lolipop Chainsaw, but I'd say that's more of a 7 or so generally speaking.

Oct 25, 2017
I personally hold all of the games he directed in high regard, especially Killer7 and 25th Ward. What are 'cons' for some people, utterly do not matter or are completely overshadowed by other elements of those games for me.
Okay, but woukd you say that in a review.

NMH1 is a top 10 game for me.

But I can't recommend it to people without acknowledging, it's not a pretty game, it's janky in a lot of parts, the overworld, the motorcycle controls.

Id never give it anything higher than an 8.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, EZA and ACG are who I generally agree with the most... and their scores/recommendations don't give me the warm fuzzies. :( Still might buy the damn thing, because I want to show support for weird stuff like this and creators like Suda51.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really like Suda but I've never shared the love for Killer 7.

I guess the narrative was interesting but I found the gameplay utter shit. (I bought it day one on the Cube)

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, but woukd you say that in a review.

NMH1 is a top 10 game for me.

But I can't recommend it to people without acknowledging, it's not a pretty game, it's janky in a lot of parts, the overworld, the motorcycle controls.

Id never give it anything higher than an 8.
I'm not a fan of the idea that reviewers should score based on a hypothetical user or lowest common denominator audience. I would rate NMH a 9 out of 10. Ideally 'my readers' would know my tastes and be able to discern whether or not my score would align with their own experience. I'm not responsible for them disagreeing.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About what I expected the Meta to be.

Will check out some reviews before buying, but I'll surely end up buying it as I love Suda's stuff.

Was concerned that it would be doing much worse reviews-wise. Happy to see a 70.
Can't wait to get my hands on it. Although, I'm worried about this big spoiler.

Having gone through the PC version recently, I don't think people are wrong to bounce off of it. The mechanics are really obtuse and the combat can have a lot of issues as a result of how movement works in the game, since you don't have anything resembling a quickturn while you're aiming. And the story, brilliant as it is, is designed to throw you into the deep end of a pool filled with hydrochloric acid and telling you good luck on the way in. It's a goddamned weird game for any era. I love it to bits, but I'm wired for crazy-ass shit in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the idea that reviewers should score based on a hypothetical user or lowest common denominator audience. I would rate NMH a 9 out of 10. Ideally 'my readers' would know my tastes and be able to discern whether or not my score would align with their own experience. I'm not responsible for them disagreeing.
I didn't argue any of what you mentioned.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't argue any of what you mentioned.
You kind of did? You say it's a top 10 game but wouldn't rate it higher than an 8? Why not? If it's a top game, then rate it at the top. Your personal experience with the game is positive, so rate it highly. No need to deduct points for 'flaws' that didn't actually bother you.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
All reviews are subjective obviously. Why does a game like RDR2 have a 97 on MC while a Suda game like Killer7 has a 74? Surely RDR2 doesn't have a giant list of cons. Right? I love RDR2, but come on it's not perfect. But like I said it's all subjective, reviewers are people and it's impossible to review anything objectively. So yes they usually overlook flaws if they enjoy the whole package. But since most don't do that for Suda games it's safe to say they aren't huge fans.

But I'd give Killer7 a 10, No More Heroes a 9 and Flower Sun Rain a 9.

RDR2 probably an 8.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
it somehow looks like a mobile spinoff with minigames in the NMH universe but maybe it is cool? i mean Suda51 is a little bit like the Tarantino of video games, you don´t exactly play a Suda51 for great gameplay..

Oct 25, 2017
If it's your first Suda game, why would you care if it's mainline or not
Yeah, I was like, did I read that right?

it somehow looks like a mobile spinoff with minigames in the NMH universe but maybe it is cool? i mean Suda51 is a little bit like the Tarantino of video games, you don´t exactly play a Suda51 for great gameplay..
This thread is getting weird.

Suda is only like Tarantino in the sense that if you don't like the product, his fans will tell you you did something wrong.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Because it looks way less interesting and inspired.
It's amazing how much a camera angle change affects people. Between the different setting & gimmicks in each world, FMV intros, and the traditional Silver Case/25th Ward inspired visual novel sections between levels, this is easily the most inspired and creative game from Grasshopper since... the original NMH.

But hey, it doesn't look cinematic enough, I guess?

I mean, it's fine. If you're not interested, you're not interested. But just be honest about your reasons: it does not look like the cinematic AA(A) action game that you want. Hope you bought FURI and Bayonetta on the Switch then.

QuicoGil

Dec 31, 2017
Granollers, Catalonia, Spain
People is fucking obsessed with over the shoulder camera angles and games "looking high budget or triple A". I'd rather have games that explore what the medium is capable of and games that have something to say.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay just looked so dull from preview videos. It seems like if you don't mind the repetitive and somewhat mindless gameplay, there's something to enjoy here. Unfortunately, I place gameplay very high on my list, so this is a likely pass. I've always been interested in the series, maybe if they release a remaster pack or something I'd be in.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still giving this game a chance. My first NMH game.
Hope it does well and they consider the remasters

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I'm gonna buy the game just to see what the surprises are (without spoiling)

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just don't understand how a change in camera perspective is somehow convincing people that a game with mediocre hack and slash gameplay, bizarre mini games and level gimmicks, brilliant character design and bonkers writing isn't a No More Heroes game.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay just looked so dull from preview videos. It seems like if you don't mind the repetitive and somewhat mindless gameplay, there's something to enjoy here. Unfortunately, I place gameplay very high on my list, so this is a likely pass. I've always been interested in the series, maybe if they release a remaster pack or something I'd be in.

from reading the threads here, the first few previews were dull but the last ones were much much better. I havent seen them myself because i was already sold on the game.

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
If you were waiting for reviews to tell you whether you should buy a Suda51 game or not... You were probably never going to buy it :P

I agree with this a lot of people were waiting on an excuse to say they are not getting the game, if I want a game I want a game no reviews are gonna change my mind.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand how a change in camera perspective is somehow convincing people that a game with mediocre hack and slash gameplay, bizarre mini games and level gimmicks, brilliant character design and bonkers writing isn't a No More Heroes game.
My thing was more about the actual hack and slash part. Sword combos in NMH were gratifying. Whereas in the early mini games it just looks like I'm swinging back and forth and enemies die in one hit or get knocked back.

Thankfully that just seems to be the early levels and that the sword play evolves.

I hope to like the game as whole, but this demo/level left a horrible impression.

And the platforming on the demo level looks concerning.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Should have been a mainline game, would have been my first Suda game if it was.
Why would it matter if it's a mainline game or not when this entry is specially made for newcomers to hop in? Seems to me you're just parroting shit people've been saying in other threads instead of coming to your own opinion on the series and TSA as a whole.