• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone who's played the Trials of Mana official translation post some pics comparing it to the ROM hack? Really interested to see the differences.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I bought that game so that they would maybe make another Mana game with a budget one day. That is right, Slaythe, I am the reason we are getting Trials of Mana.

T-thank you for your sacrifice Sp-chan.

22588362.gif

Meh..... i liked it. Not as good ss the original but not the offence to humanity some make it out to be. I mean at least it was a mobile game like breath of fire 6 is.........

It literally hurts my eyes to look at that contrast-less bland thing.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
SD3/Trials tips for newcomers:
- Don't invest stat points in DEX (AGI originally) or LUCK. They are broken, partially implemented stats. Focus mainly on your damage stat (STR for phys damage/INT for Angela) or utility/spell learning stat (SPRT or INT). DEX is only used for learning Hawk's Ninja class spells. LUCK affects the slot minigame when opening a chest. Everyone should splash some points into STA (VIT originally) for more HP and physical defense.
- Most of Duran's Light class shields are bugged and don't do actually anything when equipped. The Oath Shield is the only one that works properly.

I'd be surprised if these bugs were fixed in the collection.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The best part about this is that SD3 is such a replayable game by design, so you could play the original game to see what its like, play the remake 6 months later to see the changes, and you wouldn't feel bored at all playing the same game a 2nd time.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Will Collection of Mana physical be in limited capacity? I want to order now but have other adult obligations.

Oct 25, 2017
Hello! Mana outsider here. I've never played any of these and have what I would describe as a cursory interest in JRPGs (I like PS1-era Final Fantasy but have a harder time getting into the NES/SNES classic JRPGs, unless we're talking Chrono Trigger). I find it a lot easier to get into modern JRPGs than older ones (currently playing through Xenoblade 2 and FFXII, and Persona 4/5, SMT IV are some of my favorite games ever). Would you recommend the mana collection to someone like me?

Oct 26, 2017
The best part about this is that SD3 is such a replayable game by design, so you could play the original game to see what its like, play the remake 6 months later to see the changes, and you wouldn't feel bored at all playing the same game a 2nd time.
SD3 is such a classic. Been years since I last played it, tempted to go with my boy Hawk instead of trying something different.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
EENHIOEZF?JEIZ?FG
POEZG
RETOPµLRE?KGP
REG?.GEVERBODY ST

EVERBODY STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING

THE GOD HAS BEEN REVEALED

y_5cff4aa0a3ae2.jpg

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Seiken Densetsu 3 combat is so fucking bad. Please fix it in the remake. Pressing the buttons serve no purpose. Your dodge, attack, movement means nothing in this game. The entire fucking game pauses just so you can watch a dart fly across the screen to hit your character and you can't do anything. The constant pausing to cast spells. Why even press the attack button when holding it down causes things to happen?

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
EENHIOEZF?JEIZ?FG
POEZG
RETOPµLRE?KGP
REG?.GEVERBODY ST

EVERBODY STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING

THE GOD HAS BEEN REVEALED

y_5cff4aa0a3ae2.jpg
I'm excited to see how they handle class changes.

Seiken Densetsu 3 combat is so fucking bad. Please fix it in the remake. Pressing the buttons serve no purpose. Your dodge, attack, movement means nothing in this game. The entire fucking game pauses just so you can watch a dart fly across the screen to hit your character and you can't do anything. The constant pausing to cast spells. Why even press the attack button when holding it down causes things to happen?

Based off the trailer it looks like magic is real time now.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, any game I import no mater how obscure or niche, comes over to the west eventually after all. It's like a fucking curse.

Maybe I will import Shadow Tower Abyss next (even though I couldn't even play it), then From Software will suddenly release a remaster in the west for PS4 ffs.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
This is just one of those series that i have to support. I am double dipping. Digital today, physical in august.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Seeing as how I've never played SD3, looks like I'll drop the 40 bucks and download the collection tonight.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is Trials of Mana any good? Only ever heard much talk about Secret of Mana.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I bought the collection even I think the price is too high.
First 2 games have a strong nostalgia grip on me, and i'd like to finally enjoy the third one in its 16bit glory.
I'm weak.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying it three times, once now for instant play, the remake and a physical copy of the collection.

The one I'm buying today is for the time I could have bought it back for the snes...

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I think your priorities are completely out of whack. You are getting multiple great games, one of them having NEVER been released in NA (and is considered an ATG by many). All of that for well under the price of a regular game.

Why would any company bother translating their previously unreleased games if the message we send them is that we aren't willing to pay for them? Why would we ever get a Mother 3? Or a Bahamut Lagoon? Why would they bother going through the hassle of translating those games?

I want to keep getting these excellent games that we never received in the first place. I am more than willing to pay LESS than a typical game to make that happen. Happily.

They didn't have to do much other than translating the third game to warrant 40$. No development of assets, engine etc.

Lots of classic games get rereleased all the time for much less.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Now all Mana games in the series has a consistent pattern when it comes to the titles.

The four main games are now Adventures, Secret, Trials and Dawn of Mana.

Apr 19, 2018
Xavi, did you want to put the trailer for the remake in the OP?

Same trailer, but each has a different variation for the voice-over narration.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't have to do much other than translating the third game to warrant 40$. No development of assets, engine etc.

And translating a Super Famicom game in this day and age is still a full localization effort.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
That remake came out of nowhere and it looks incredible, who is developing in? Inhouse from S-E?

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm obviously buying the collection just for Seiken Densetsu 3.

hoping some hackers will come up with a way to rip the rom so I can play it on my Super Famicom

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I am watching someone stream Seiken Densetsu 3 on Twitch right now.

An official localization of this game! It's been, what... 23 or 24 years?

My mind is blown. I am speechless. This is just... wow. Might be the biggest surprise of this E3 for me.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I need some help from people with better Japanese, here... what the fuck is the character between taisetsu and tomodachi? That doesn't even look like a Japanese character to my eyes... Help?

Looks like "na" to me.

Game pricing is generally based more on perceived demand rather than development costs. You've got 2 well-regarded classic games that they could have easily charged $5-10 a piece for and a holy grail of a localization that fans have been requesting for decades. They could have charged less, but I see why they didn't - either you really want Seiken Densetsu 3 in English on your Switch and are willing to pay good money for it or you don't care and you're going to skip the collection at most prices.

To use another franchise as an example, if Nintendo release a Mother Trilogy on Switch that was the only way to get Mother 3 in English, they could easily charge $40 for it and people would pay it.