• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
thanks a lot for clearing that up!

what happened there? did the guide miss something or where you a bit careless?
No idea. Could've been a faulty guide, could've been my stupidity. I think I noticed it desync'd in chapter 5, but at that point, getting the last part on NG+ was painless.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I have a problem with this guide... it doesn't seem to match the % rates of the PS4 version.

could it be that the PS2 has different completion percentages?

when I complete the tasks on the ship for the first time, I am at exactly 3% (shown both on the save file and the screen when you are heading somewhere) and not 3.4%

I have done exactly what the guide says, moogle and all. Maybe I should do something else on the Shinra menu?? I already played the journey movie.

watching a youtube video to see if there's a "3.4%" right before heading to Gagazet the first time, it turns out its 3%.... does the screen ever show decimal numbers??

can someone help me out here?? it's driving me crazy.
I followed the guide more to make sure I didn't miss any events, I was playing the PS3 version and managed to get the trophy that way in one run. I was constantly worried and thought I had messed bits up but it turned out ok. It is extremely easy to make a mistake unfortunately.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished a couple more games, can't bring myself to plat either though:
Assassins Creed Syndicate - which... maybe its me but AC has some truly awful mission design. Getting full sync on some of the last missions sounds like the most joyless experience imaginable. I loved the look of the world so much, but the AI and stealth options ruined what could have been a fun game (I feel I could say the same about any old AC honestly). Combat once again sucked, as did all AC games before it. I'll have to give Origins a try one day to see if its truly the evolution of the series that some quote it as being.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - Honestly, its just that I don't want to grind out the costume unlocks, I really enjoyed the game otherwise. Its dated sure, and some of the default costumes and bosses sucked, but I loved how this was just a love letter to the Marvel Universe. Really can't wait to see how the third one turns out. I'll definitely have to replay the 2nd game when I get a chance.

Time to take a break from going after trophies, then I'll go for the plats on both Judgment and Yakuza 5 (remaster). Both games I know I'll be able to plat, I just need around 300 hours to do it!

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Finished a couple more games, can't bring myself to plat either though:
Assassins Creed Syndicate - which... maybe its me but AC has some truly awful mission design. Getting full sync on some of the last missions sounds like the most joyless experience imaginable. I loved the look of the world so much, but the AI and stealth options ruined what could have been a fun game (I feel I could say the same about any old AC honestly). Combat once again sucked, as did all AC games before it. I'll have to give Origins a try one day to see if its truly the evolution of the series that some quote it as being.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - Honestly, its just that I don't want to grind out the costume unlocks, I really enjoyed the game otherwise. Its dated sure, and some of the default costumes and bosses sucked, but I loved how this was just a love letter to the Marvel Universe. Really can't wait to see how the third one turns out. I'll definitely have to replay the 2nd game when I get a chance.

Time to take a break from going after trophies, then I'll go for the plats on both Judgment and Yakuza 5 (remaster). Both games I know I'll be able to plat, I just need around 300 hours to do it!

AC:S isn't that hard. I did the plat during the forst weeks the game launched, I do believe best buy paid me to play that game between the pre order credit and trade in value adding up to more then what i paid for it.

There isn't any online component which is nice. I have like 5 Ubisoft games that need about 3 mp trophies each to plat and I've moved on.

I've been playing a lot of PoE and RDR2 the past couple weeks so my trophy grind has stopped.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
AC:S isn't that hard. I did the plat during the forst weeks the game launched, I do believe best buy paid me to play that game between the pre order credit and trade in value adding up to more then what i paid for it.

There isn't any online component which is nice. I have like 5 Ubisoft games that need about 3 mp trophies each to plat and I've moved on.

I've been playing a lot of PoE and RDR2 the past couple weeks so my trophy grind has stopped.
Yeah, in theory it shouldnt be too hard, but I really cant be bothered to grind out the couple of remaining trophies I have left, I just did not enjoy the game nearly enough to replay it since I have many other games to play. Not to say I won't go back to it in the future, but I don't see me doing it anytime soon.

Right now though, I'm working on the Japanese version of Dungeons and Dragons Tower of Doom (which unlike the Western release, has a plat). Trophies mainly seem straight forward however the 1CC trophies will be really tough. The games do have a super easy mode added, however there are still some points late game that will totally kick my ass if I'm not careful. But its such a great 2 pack of games I can't help but try for the plat. I do so love my Capcom games!

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Platinum #47

Final Fantasy VII

After hitting a major wall in Sekiro, I wanted to play a nice palate cleanser, preferably something familiar with an easy platinum. FFVII was perfect for that and it's still one of my favorite games ever.

Platinum #48

The Order: 1886

Still not ready to go back to Sekiro I decided it was time to go back to The Order. Bought it on the cheap a while ago, but never finished it. Great acting, graphics and setting, very decent game.

Platinum #49

Farming Simulator 17

At this point I actually was ready to continue Sekiro, but liked the idea of making it my 50th, so I needed another quick holdover game. The only game that was reasonably quick to finish was Farming Simulator 17. This series have been my guilty pleasure games since FS15. Initially bought it for my son, but really started enjoying it myself as well. These are great games to zone out in. Easy, but time consuming platinum.

Platinum #50

Sekiro Shadows Die Twice

I think I never raged as much at a game as I did with Sekiro, but I'm glad I kept trying. The relief and sense of accomplishment after finally beating a boss you were stuck at for days is unrivaled. Even better than in Bloodborne and the Souls series. The end game grind for skill points left a bit of a sour taste, but I'm still very pleased to have done it and it's a worthy game for my #50.

7MLiLoG.jpg

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum #260 - The Surge

You're invincible during the backstab and armour cutting animations, so it's better than Dark Souls II at least. Otherwise? Eh. It's serviceable. It felt a little bit too unbalanced towards the hard side of things.

Platinum #261 - Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

The good news is that some of the RNG trophies have been removed, and the inclusion of the DLC (certain characters and enemy equipment) makes getting the platinum far easier than the PS3 version. The bad news is, not all of them are gone, and it's still a huge grind regardless. I get that Disgaea is about numbers and nothing but numbers, but it feels like there's a game for the first 10 hours, and a treadmill for the remaining 70.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum 241 - YSVIII
Great game, I'm a big fan of the series though. I came to this one late due to the Nisa localisation issue but actually once patched I think it was done really well. Trophies were mostly solid, got all of the except Nightmare difficulty on the first run and mopped that up on ng+. Was happy to play it again anyway.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Been busy since my last post.

Platinum #101 - Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered
Doesn't hold up as well as I remember I don't think. Thankfully there is a glitch that makes it so you only have to complete the last checkpoint of every level on veteran for it to count. Makes for a relatively straight forward platinum in that regard.

Platinum #102 - Adventures of Mana
Fun but very dated gameplay. The trophies that just require you to grind right before the final boss were stupid.

Platinum #103 - Alone With You (Vita Physical)
Got this in the mail from LRG and realized it had a unique trophy list and no one had got the plat yet. So I put it in immediately and worked on nothing but it until I finished. First time I have ever been the first to acheive a platinum.

Platinum #104 - Table Top Racing World Tour
Fun micro machines style racer. The drift events were not as difficult as people said they were.

Platinum #105 - Pic-a-Pix Pieces (Vita NA)
Not as good as Pic-a-Pix Color or classic. Its just not as rewarding finishing a puzzle when its just a small part of a larger image.

Platinum #106 - Dragon Fantasy: Volumes of Westeria
The original version of Dragon Fantasy was just a short 100%. So when I got the physical edition on Vita I knew I had to replay for the new plat. A few extra trophies to think about but very easy overall. There is one extra bonus chapter in this release as well which was nice.

Platinum #107 - Dying: Reborn (Vita)
Bad. Regret buying this. I sometimes enjoy bad games, but this one is just dreadful.

Platinum #108 - Virginia
This was awesome. A little too easy plat wise but a great story and very uniquely told. If you dig the X-Files or Twin Peaks check this out.

And my 100%'s which I don't feel like writing thoughts down. Ask me if you want to know what I thought.
100% - Red Faction: Battlegrounds
100% - Golden Axe
100% - Steep
100% - ドリームクラブ ホストガール オンステージ
100% - NBA 2K18: The Prelude
100% - NBA 2K19: The Prelude
100% - Rollers of the Realm
100% - PulzAR
100% - Frogger: Hyper Arcade Edition
100% - Exile's End
100% - Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds
100% - Uncharted 2 (PS3)

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
- Follow a 100% guide to the letter. Even certain things out of order can make you miss something.

So I just progressed a bit and have a 13% of story, which is synch'd with the guide so that's nice.

one question for you and/or Daggoth though:

is the guide in the link an "all 100% completion" guide? as in, all the game has to offer or just specifically 100% story?

playing from 0% to 13% I got the impression I am doing everything that can be done as soon as it's available and at some points in the guide the writer very much warns about points of no return but I am still not quite sure.

it would be pretty nice if I could use just this one guide to work towards the platinum instead of using it only to learn in chapter 3 or 4 that I locked myself out of trophies...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get all three plats on the Spyro Remaster Trilogy. Really enjoyed the games, only issue I really had were with some of the skateboarding races and a couple of the extra playable characters weren't all that interesting to use. But that's really jusstt some minor complaints on the third game, 1 and 2 were pretty much perfect in my eyes. Only weird thing I found trophy wise was how there didn't seem to be any incentive to clear the third game 117%, despite the extra world housing a pretty tough skateboaridng race and an optional extra boss phase against the final boss. Seems odd they'd not slap a gold trophy on that, since it was totally worth doing!

Now I've moved onto another remaster - this time its the PS4 remaster of Ryu Ga Gotoku 5 (aka Yakuza 5). Currently aiming for the 100% completion list trophy as I play (as that'll basically net every trophy in the game bar a couple of difficulty based ones). 48 hours in, 28% of the list done. Yup, this is taking me another 130+ hours to do! I've already managed to clear my least favourite mini game (Pool) so its mainly going to be the arena with Akiyama that really causes me problems going for the completion list now, most of the rest of things should in theory be quite straight forward, if somewhat time consuming (but incredibly fun all the same!)

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
So I just progressed a bit and have a 13% of story, which is synch'd with the guide so that's nice.

one question for you and/or Daggoth though:

is the guide in the link an "all 100% completion" guide? as in, all the game has to offer or just specifically 100% story?

playing from 0% to 13% I got the impression I am doing everything that can be done as soon as it's available and at some points in the guide the writer very much warns about points of no return but I am still not quite sure.

it would be pretty nice if I could use just this one guide to work towards the platinum instead of using it only to learn in chapter 3 or 4 that I locked myself out of trophies...
As I recall it's a 100% guide to the percentage and other stuff on the PS2 version, it didn't include trophies at the time. Look at a trophy guide and make sure to track what's missable in each chapter trophy wise and get them on the way while following the percentage guide and that should cover almost everything.

I kept an eye using this https://www.playstationtrophies.org...inal-fantasy-x-2-hd-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be 100% story only.

Having looked at the link directly above this post for a bit, and the 100% guide ... I think the only two you really need to watch for are the Trainer dressphere (which the guide mentions in Chapter 1 and 2, but not 3), and the Azi Dahaka enemy in Chapter 5 (this is technically not missable, but triggering it there will make your life much easier).

The other missables should be covered by the 100% guide. It's not easy to find stuff (search Chocobo Eater in Chapter 2, for example), but it's there.

The other trophies (use Bribe, Mix, etc) can be done whenever.

Fair warning though, do not ask me about Last Mission. I'm still trying to erase that from my memory 😵

Platinum #262 - Borderlands 2

Not bad, not good, mechanically sound, excessive inventory management in a game about loot. Series isn't for me.

Platinum #263 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

Not sure what to think here. I'm not a fan of the new EXP system, and the removal of bowling / pool / gambling aside from Mahjong. The story also just wasn't that compelling past Chapter 6 or so. The combat was a step back, even from Kiwami. And it's a new engine which screen tears all over the place indoors on the base PS4. But, it's a new engine which looks really nice in parts, city interactions / fights are a bit more seamless, and it's more Yakuza. So ... yay?

Currently looking at DMC5 and weeping. This one may be above my skill level.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Has anyone been trying to finish up Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us DLC trophies on PS3? I am done with U2 and almost done with TLoU but its gonna be a lot of gameplay to finish U3 before the servers are turn off in September.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I am in the middle of chapter 2, at 34% on FFX2 and so far so good, I am synched with the optimal guide.

I am enjoying it far more than I thought I would.

I don't feel like I am getting spoiling following the guide, story is barely existent and most missions are fun.

Will update when I finish the chapter.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone been trying to finish up Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us DLC trophies on PS3? I am done with U2 and almost done with TLoU but its gonna be a lot of gameplay to finish U3 before the servers are turn off in September.

I managed to finish Uncharted 3 100% earlier in the month and it was something I worked on every day for a month from June onwards. I had some progress previously though. The treasure grinding may prevent the 100% if you start too late. I did Uncharted 2 around this time last year and it wasn't too bad (2500 kills got to be monotomy though). The Last of Us I did back when I got the Platinum (just got to do Grounded Mode for the 100%).

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I managed to finish Uncharted 3 100% earlier in the month and it was something I worked on every day for a month from June onwards. I had some progress previously though. The treasure grinding may prevent the 100% if you start too late. I did Uncharted 2 around this time last year and it wasn't too bad (2500 kills got to be monotomy though). The Last of Us I did back when I got the Platinum (just got to do Grounded Mode for the 100%).

I have 1 trophy left in TLoU. Did the big grind through both journeys back when it released, but had fallen off the multiplayer when the DLC released for it. I have managed to get all but the Coal Mine trophy so far.

Luckily I had played both U2 and U3 a lot back when they released so neither was starting from scratch. U2 I had only the 3 coop adventures on crushing to do plus 4 more protectorate medals. Everything else was done legit. Uncharted 3 I have most of the annoying competitive stuff done, but had barely started the coop so that will be my biggest worry. I have a lot of treasures to grind for still.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I am in the middle of chapter 2, at 34% on FFX2 and so far so good, I am synched with the optimal guide.

I am enjoying it far more than I thought I would.

I don't feel like I am getting spoiling following the guide, story is barely existent and most missions are fun.

Will update when I finish the chapter.

So I am at 52% now and enjoying it more and more. I have the original X/X2 HD Prima guide and together with the optimal guide on gamefaqs it's a joy to play through it without fears.

question for those who have the platinums for both X and X2.... isn't X2's Platinum way easier than X??

I see the list and I don't see anything like the chocobo races or complete grid trophies here.

they are easier to miss but also easier to get, I think

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
question for those who have the platinums for both X and X2.... isn't X2's Platinum way easier than X??
I thought X-2 was harder. With X, the only pitfalls were ensuring you got Besaid and Macalania's destruction spheres, and choosing the right option when recruiting Yojimbo and then managing his affinity. And maybe Kimahri's overdrives. With X-2, you need a guide for every step, and it's way too easy to miss something that can't be repaired later due to the missions / chapter structure.

I enjoyed X a lot more (plot, tone) so the grind at the end didn't worry me.

X-2 also has Last Mission trophies which can die in a fire somewhere.

I haven't posted in a while so ...

Platinum #264 - Detroit: Become Human

It's okay! I played it on an alt-account so I could try (and succeed at :D but that won't stay there I reckon) a clean trophy speedrun on the main account. Aside from the last few chapters which absolutely felt on the nose - Nov 11? Really? - and an acknowledged but disbelievable plot hole in Kara's story, I had a good time.

I think these games, as badly written and non-interactive as they are, still have a place.

And I haven't unlocked it yet - waiting for a number divisible by 25 (I know ....) - but I'm done with DMC5. Just need to play through Heaven or Hell which is super easy. My hands hurt

Don't know if I prefer DMC4:SE over this or not.

Trophy wise, I'm also torn. S ranks are harder in 5 but there's no Bloody Palace trophies in the main game.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I thought X-2 was harder. With X, the only pitfalls were ensuring you got Besaid and Macalania's destruction spheres, and choosing the right option when recruiting Yojimbo and then managing his affinity. And maybe Kimahri's overdrives. With X-2, you need a guide for every step, and it's way too easy to miss something that can't be repaired later due to the missions / chapter structure.

I enjoyed X a lot more (plot, tone) so the grind at the end didn't worry me.

X-2 also has Last Mission trophies which can die in a fire somewhere.

you forgot the one-chance, easily missable al-bhed tomes in the middle of the game... hours and hours wasted if you miss them

don't you probably mean "not fun" and "annoying" instead of "hard" :D

I am also liking FFX a lot more by the way, this game is perfectly fine but waaay to Mario-Party like for my taste, it's a fucking mini-game every step of the way,

I am constantly thinking "just let me fight enemies and bosses and quit putting those minigames please"

oh and Detroit was awesome that was my last platinum before this one. I am not sure I enjoyed the road to the platinum but it was a great videogame experience.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I really like both games to be honest. The trophy lists both have their pros and cons as stated. FFX-2 you need to guide the whole way to not mess up which is a pain but no lightning dodges, no chocobo racing etc make it less frustrating in a lot of ways.

I actually really enjoyed Last Mission but then it was my first experience at a Rogue Like type game.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys ever get the feeling that you are just wasting your time? I have 59 plats and someday I'm excited for the grind, and other days I kind of just sit back and think to myself, why the fuck am I doing all this for a virtual reward.
Not really. If a game only needs a few hours past the credits to wrap up the platinum the time invested is worth the tiny hit of dopamine. The rest of my trophies are games I really love so I truly want to do everything in them.

Not really. If a game only needs a few hours past the credits to wrap up the platinum the time invested is worth the tiny hit of dopamine. The rest of my trophies are games I really love so I truly want to do everything in them.

Yeah I think my problem is that I'm trying to get a platinum in every game I own and that is just leading me to playing very shitty games.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
#114 - Demon's Souls

After spending the past few months complaining about the server closure I decided to get the platinum legitimately. Maybe I just got extremely lucky but the whole playthrough took around 25 hours with ~3 hours of it grinding for Pure Bladestone. Hardest part was killing Old King Doran, we ran circles around the statue in the Mausoleum for around 10 minutes while getting a hit in every now and then, what a dumb fight that was.

Now onto Dark Souls 2: SotFS which to my knowledge should be a tad easier platinum. The 60fps feels so good after playing Demon's Souls.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think my problem is that I'm trying to get a platinum in every game I own and that is just leading me to playing very shitty games.

I used to do this and now that I have less time to play I kinda regret it. I have so many trash platinums lol. Now I'm focusing on games I really like and every plat I get feels great.

It'll always bother me that my fastest platinum is 1000 Top Rated.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
#114 - Demon's Souls

After spending the past few months complaining about the server closure I decided to get the platinum legitimately. Maybe I just got extremely lucky but the whole playthrough took around 25 hours with ~3 hours of it grinding for Pure Bladestone. Hardest part was killing Old King Doran, we ran circles around the statue in the Mausoleum for around 10 minutes while getting a hit in every now and then, what a dumb fight that was.

Now onto Dark Souls 2: SotFS which to my knowledge should be a tad easier platinum. The 60fps feels so good after playing Demon's Souls.
Did you play on the custom server at all?

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Did you play on the custom server at all?

Nope. I remember the world tendency changed every now and then back when the servers were up and if you played online so I didn't want to take any risks with the custom server, although I doubt the custom server has that same dumb mechanic.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Nope. I remember the world tendency changed every now and then back when the servers were up and if you played online so I didn't want to take any risks with the custom server, although I doubt the custom server has that same dumb mechanic.
It actually lets you set your world tendancy locally at anytime. Which is why I asked. Makes tendency events far easier.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys ever get the feeling that you are just wasting your time? I have 59 plats and someday I'm excited for the grind, and other days I kind of just sit back and think to myself, why the fuck am I doing all this for a virtual reward.
Ehhh ... I don't think it's more of a waste of time than actually playing the games themselves.

The only times I really question it are where I'm just following a guide to platinum a game without any thought - which I did for a few trashy PS+ visual novels late last year - although in my defence there, I didn't pay for them, and I found the Zero Escape series via that. The other time is where money is involved. Games simply seeming to exist for the purpose of platinums (clicker games, "bad" games, puzzle games with absurdly easy solutions), games releasing without global lists to encourage rebuying for the first person who says it, Demon's Souls DOESN'T count here .. I feel that's potentially exploitative. And that time I platinumed the DMC2 HD remaster ... that one almost broke me.

In general, I enjoy going after trophies because they give me a bit more value out of the games that I own - different things to try and do. Doesn't help the backlog though ... not many of the games fall into the following categories, but the ones that do definitely have an impact.

I might see parts of the game that otherwise, I wouldn't have seen. Eg - I played Disgaea 1 and 2 on the PS2. Completed the plot (in D1's case, replayed for the good ending), then put them down and haven't touched them since. For Disgaea 3 on the PS3, I waited for the trophy patch, platinumed it, and in the process discovered that these games have an incredible postgame treadmill. Not sure if it was an enjoyable treadmill, mind - but it's still something I wouldn't have seen otherwise.​
They can help change or solidify opinions about games. Eg - Bayonetta. I played through that, and thought the game wasn't all that good. Bad camera, bad lag, game didn't feel right, stupid bullshit QTEs. But hearing all the praise for this game encouraged me to keep going, give it some more time, and it'd turn out good. So I kept my bad opinion to myself, sort-of Got Gud (it doesn't require an extreme level of Git Gud, but enough to pass the challenge levels / Alfheim Portals and whatnot), platinumed the game, and unlocked some optional stuff on top of that by platinuming / pure platinuming each chapter. And you know what? My opinion is now ahahhahahaaha NOPE it's still trash and Nintendo can have the sequels for all I care - and that plat helps give me a bit of confidence in that opinion.​
I also like to speedrun trophies sometimes - mostly adventure games. Eg - Day of the Tentacle. I played that game to death in the 90s, and getting it free on PS+, I could've burned through it in an afternoon. I did that ... on a burner account, then wrote my own walkthrough for the game, practiced it a few times on other local users, revised the route, trying to get my time as low as possible, then executed (and succeeded) on my main account with some definite room for improvement. The time shown was just over an hour, but the prep time was significantly longer than I otherwise would've played there. And as far as main accounts are concerned, you get one shot at it. That time is a permanent mark on my account that can't be changed. Like a Hitman elusive target without an XMB force quit to reset it if things go south. I think it's an interesting enough challenge, anyway.​

The response to all of the above could be "fuck me, that's a lot of justification for meaningless objects" and you'd be absolutely correct. I don't know. I just don't think it's any more of a waste of time than playing the silly games in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It'll always bother me that my fastest platinum is 1000 Top Rated.
I feel you. I'm most bothered by platinuming Sound Shapes on the PS4 (just the core game, none of the DLC), then downloading the PS3 version, booting it up, syncing the cross save, and watching another plat pop. Didn't feel good. Didn't stop me from doing it years later when the Vita rocked up though D:

Anyway ... actual stuff now ... Platinum #265 - Sniper Elite 4

Eh. I don't know what I was expecting here. I think more of a simulation rather than a generic-ish 3rd person shooter? It's alright, but really nothing to write home about. The levels are too long for their own good, the MP trophies were just annoying, and following a collectible list (which is mandatory because they're not easily labelled) takes a lot out of the first playthrough.

Authentic was alright though. PROTIP: don't start on Authentic. Just ... DON'T.

Ehhh ... I don't think it's more of a waste of time than actually playing the games themselves.

The only times I really question it are where I'm just following a guide to platinum a game without any thought - which I did for a few trashy PS+ visual novels late last year - although in my defence there, I didn't pay for them, and I found the Zero Escape series via that. The other time is where money is involved. Games simply seeming to exist for the purpose of platinums (clicker games, "bad" games, puzzle games with absurdly easy solutions), games releasing without global lists to encourage rebuying for the first person who says it, Demon's Souls DOESN'T count here .. I feel that's potentially exploitative. And that time I platinumed the DMC2 HD remaster ... that one almost broke me.

In general, I enjoy going after trophies because they give me a bit more value out of the games that I own - different things to try and do. Doesn't help the backlog though ... not many of the games fall into the following categories, but the ones that do definitely have an impact.

I might see parts of the game that otherwise, I wouldn't have seen. Eg - I played Disgaea 1 and 2 on the PS2. Completed the plot (in D1's case, replayed for the good ending), then put them down and haven't touched them since. For Disgaea 3 on the PS3, I waited for the trophy patch, platinumed it, and in the process discovered that these games have an incredible postgame treadmill. Not sure if it was an enjoyable treadmill, mind - but it's still something I wouldn't have seen otherwise.​
They can help change or solidify opinions about games. Eg - Bayonetta. I played through that, and thought the game wasn't all that good. Bad camera, bad lag, game didn't feel right, stupid bullshit QTEs. But hearing all the praise for this game encouraged me to keep going, give it some more time, and it'd turn out good. So I kept my bad opinion to myself, sort-of Got Gud (it doesn't require an extreme level of Git Gud, but enough to pass the challenge levels / Alfheim Portals and whatnot), platinumed the game, and unlocked some optional stuff on top of that by platinuming / pure platinuming each chapter. And you know what? My opinion is now ahahhahahaaha NOPE it's still trash and Nintendo can have the sequels for all I care - and that plat helps give me a bit of confidence in that opinion.​
I also like to speedrun trophies sometimes - mostly adventure games. Eg - Day of the Tentacle. I played that game to death in the 90s, and getting it free on PS+, I could've burned through it in an afternoon. I did that ... on a burner account, then wrote my own walkthrough for the game, practiced it a few times on other local users, revised the route, trying to get my time as low as possible, then executed (and succeeded) on my main account with some definite room for improvement. The time shown was just over an hour, but the prep time was significantly longer than I otherwise would've played there. And as far as main accounts are concerned, you get one shot at it. That time is a permanent mark on my account that can't be changed. Like a Hitman elusive target without an XMB force quit to reset it if things go south. I think it's an interesting enough challenge, anyway.​

The response to all of the above could be "fuck me, that's a lot of justification for meaningless objects" and you'd be absolutely correct. I don't know. I just don't think it's any more of a waste of time than playing the silly games in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel you. I'm most bothered by platinuming Sound Shapes on the PS4 (just the core game, none of the DLC), then downloading the PS3 version, booting it up, syncing the cross save, and watching another plat pop. Didn't feel good. Didn't stop me from doing it years later when the Vita rocked up though D:

Eh. I don't know what I was expecting here. I think more of a simulation rather than a generic-ish 3rd person shooter? It's alright, but really nothing to write home about. The levels are too long for their own good, the MP trophies were just annoying, and following a collectible list (which is mandatory because they're not easily labelled) takes a lot out of the first playthrough.

Thank you for this response, it actually helped me better understand why I enjoy Trophies so much

pqvqs

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Couldn't agree more with the part about doing and playing stuff that you wouldn't normally do in some games. For example, I love Kingdom Hearts ever since I first played it in 2003. But I never ever got to do secrete bosses and stuff, because there wasn't much of an reason for me in doing so. Now I have a bunch of plats and finally manage to beat Lingering Will and Misterious Figure (BBS), something I never attemped seriously because it was freaking to hard for me to care.

Oct 26, 2017

LOL. I always meant to do that with Sound Shapes but never got around it, I don't think it's possible anymore is it?

I'm just killing time until Iceborne comes out, been playing fighting games since EVO always gets me in the mood, then I realize how bad I am and how much time it'd take me to get decent at them and drop them. Chasing plats has been fun though, working on Soul Calibur VI at the moment.

Is Bloodstained a fun game to platinum???

or is it brutal?

It's a ton of fun. Pretty easy plat, too. Completing the map is the only potentially frustrating thing and even that isn't so bad (I feel it's worse in SotN for some reason).

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
So yesterday I finally got the platinum for Final Fantasy X2 now some thoughts

FFX2 is basically Mario Party in the Final Fantasy world (sell tickets! give ballons! calibrate towers!). for some reason I liked the mini games on FFX better even though they were brutal (chocobo races come to mind). I did enjoy the interaction between the 3 girls and story was kind of weak but charming and nice, it was obviously a DLC thingy.

Between X and X2, the first one is the clear winner in every regard, in my opinion. I wasn't a fan of the battle system on X2 changing dresses and what not, lots of stuff (consumable items for example) are completely useless, but that's a standard in final fantasy games I guess.

as for the platinum, FFX is brutal (complete grid? chocobo race? all weapons? that's hard) whereas FFX2 is a lot easier, you need a 100% guide for both anyway so X2 being extra stingy about it didn't make it harder in my mind.

too bad they decide to give the side mission thingy 7 or so trophies, they could have instead put more on the capture creature stuff for example but hey I won't complain, I got the platinum faster.

thanks Daggoth, FallenGrace and a couple others for your help throughout my playthrough.

now looking to play something else, thinking about Resident Evil 2 or something shorter... definitely no 100+ rpg

It's a ton of fun. Pretty easy plat, too. Completing the map is the only potentially frustrating thing and even that isn't so bad (I feel it's worse in SotN for some reason).

ugh I can't make up my mind :/ I want to play it, but I feel like I should play it on switch, this is handheld castlevania after all.. but performance is bad there, dunno what to do.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017

FFX2 is basically Mario Party in the Final Fantasy world (sell tickets! give ballons! calibrate towers!). for some reason I liked the mini games on FFX better even though they were brutal (chocobo races come to mind). I did enjoy the interaction between the 3 girls and story was kind of weak but charming and nice, it was obviously a DLC thingy.

Between X and X2, the first one is the clear winner in every regard, in my opinion. I wasn't a fan of the battle system on X2 changing dresses and what not, lots of stuff (consumable items for example) are completely useless, but that's a standard in final fantasy games I guess.

as for the platinum, FFX is brutal (complete grid? chocobo race? all weapons? that's hard) whereas FFX2 is a lot easier, you need a 100% guide for both anyway so X2 being extra stingy about it didn't make it harder in my mind.

too bad they decide to give the side mission thingy 7 or so trophies, they could have instead put more on the capture creature stuff for example but hey I won't complain, I got the platinum faster.

thanks Daggoth, FallenGrace and a couple others for your help throughout my playthrough.

now looking to play something else, thinking about Resident Evil 2 or something shorter... definitely no 100+ rpg

ugh I can't make up my mind :/ I want to play it, but I feel like I should play it on switch, this is handheld castlevania after all.. but performance is bad there, dunno what to do.
Well done! I actually found X easier plat wise as there was less to miss. I love both games though.

Resident Evil 2 is my GOTY so far, its fantastic. The platinum takes half a dozen playthrough but if can be beaten in under 3 hours once you know it well.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is my GOTY so far, its fantastic. The platinum takes half a dozen playthrough but if can be beaten in under 3 hours once you know it well.

sounds about right regarding length.. though, another game comes to mind...

how about Shadow of The Colossus remastered?? has anyone here gotten that platinum?

sadly I most say, Last Guardian's Platinum was the worst, most annoying platinum if all my collection :/

I quit playing the game for weeks cause I wasn't feeling it.. the game eventually went from a 2/10 to a 7/10 after working on the platinum, it does have virtues and well yeah, I ended up liking it somewhat as opposed to considering it trash..

any tips?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

how about Shadow of The Colossus remastered?? has anyone here gotten that platinum?

sadly I most say, Last Guardian's Platinum was the worst, most annoying platinum if all my collection :/

I quit playing the game for weeks cause I wasn't feeling it.. the game eventually went from a 2/10 to a 7/10 after working on the platinum, it does have virtues and well yeah, I ended up liking it somewhat as opposed to considering it trash..

any tips?
I plat'ed the PS4 version of SotC and loved it. I mean, the game itself rocks on its own, and doing the time attack runs for each boss is a blast. Hard mode is definitely more challenging as a couple of the bosses have pretty tight time limits (the third? one especially, and that damn hide and seek boss) but once you nail down how to fight each, it becomes pretty easy. Only grindy trophies were maxing out health, and reaching the secret garden one, as you had to clear the game through several times to hit the requirements but again, when you get good, you can clear the game through pretty darn quick. I absolutely loved it, its an amazing game.

Anyway, I've not been focusing much on trophies this last month, but I am probably going to go for Bloodstain's plat, as aside from the game itself being amazing fun, the trophy list doesn't seem to bad (even the collectables).

My main focus though has been on one sole trophy - Ryu Ga Gotoku 5s (Yakuza 5s) 100% completion trophy - on the PS4 remaster. It took me 107 hours just to finish the story (to be fair, I did loads of side stuff) and I'm 130 odd hours into the game now just wrapping up on the side stuff. 89% toward my goal, and most of the harder stuff is basically done now. Almost all the weapons modded (3 left), Arena basically done with Shinada and Akiyama (the hardest/longest two) etc. Probably taking me at least another 10 hours though, but I do love this game so darn much, its probably the one game I can bare to replay and 100% each time despite its insane length.

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
Plat #62 Final Fantasy 7

Buggared up my run a while back forgetting to do the Barrett date stuff, so did a quick 3x speed and unlimited limit breaks run to get it out of the way as i'd left it for 2 years or so gave me something to do inbetween games

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
God I hate the free updates that add NG+ trophies... Spiderman, Metro, Days Gone... Why :'(
Really happy God of War didn't get one, for whatever reason. NG+ doesn't work or matter in that game, do it all again but the enemies don't stagger and you can get a new green or blue armour set!!

Anyway, from June 18th to August 27th I almost exclusively played Borderlands. I had the 1st game for free through PS+ on ps3 way back in September 2012 but I never had the plat because of the multiplayer trophies, and everyone I knew had a xbox 360 at the time. I went back to it in Oct 2017 to finish off my plat and got a cheap GOTY copy to finish off the DLC in Jan 2018. Then they announced the ps4 port so I went and plated that with my friend before going through all of BL2 directly after so we can prepare ourselves for 3. I still think Pre-Sequel's the best BL game in terms of writing and gameplay after all that.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum #249 - Ni No Kuni 2 - Spent three weeks playing this. Quite fun, Kingdom building is addictive and an easy plat list. The DLC trophies and DLC generally is bloody awful though. Level grind in asset reuse dungeons, incredibly boring and I gave up on it.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry - enquiring mind needs to know. Did you get 100% and the secret cinema on the first run? I'm still mildly annoyed about my 99% run ...

SotC ... it's not too difficult, it just needs some patience. It's definitely the easiest version to play with the fixed framerate.

RE2 is a lot of fun. Some creative trophies in there.

For me, I'm on the verge of dropping Arkham City. Haven't completed the main plot yet, and just not feeling motivated by it at all - it's a bloated mess.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

any tips?

I loved getting the Shadow of the Colossus Platinum on PS4. It's very gratifying as it really forces you to master the game. The only annoying Trophy is the one you get for maxxing out your Health and Stamina, which can be a bit of a grind.

Other than that, it's mostly a skill based Platinum that rewards you for getting good at the game.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
thanks everyone for your opinions on SoTC and other games, I will take some time to decide. there's Spiderman and Horizon ZD too but those seem long.

Sorry - enquiring mind needs to know. Did you get 100% and the secret cinema on the first run? I'm still mildly annoyed about my 99% run ...

I did! I just followed the guide you suggested and it worked as intended, I got the trophy before the very very final part with the whistle so I assume I did %100.3 or something .

as for the cutscenes, I have no idea what I got because of the 100% and what was regular ending. in Any case, did you understand what was going on???

did the fayth really bring back Tidus?? the real one? is that canon?

also, 3 months later during the "last mission", are we supposed to think Yuna is living with Tidus in Besaid or what's the deal?