PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
None of the game's trailers have featured Kojima aside from the name. All the trailers I've seen show off the game world, setting, and the characters in it. You can call it weird for weird's sake or knock the lack of gameplay shown, but I don't know if its all about Kojima until you read the enthusiast sites.

There has been one actually worthwhile trailer in all the time the game's been announced. And yes, that trailer wasn't about Kojima. But the press coverage and interviews and the like are all about him and it's just exhausting.

I would like more trailers and less puff piece interviews about how amazing it is to work with Kojima.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima threads are like David Cage threads now? lol

Even in the PS2 days people liked to shit on Kojima and act like his games were just movies, this is nothing new.

Difference is Cage's games do feel more like interactive movies, whereas Kojima keeps on releasing highly acclaimed games that make the haters just angrier and angrier.

so pretentious, Kojima needs to get down his high horse already

These are Troy Baker's own thoughts so I guess your issue should be with him here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
There has been one actually worthwhile trailer in all the time the game's been announced. And yes, that trailer wasn't about Kojima. But the press coverage and interviews and the like are all about him and it's just exhausting.

I would like more trailers and less puff piece interviews about how amazing it is to work with Kojima.
So just ignore the puff pieces. Sony don't really show a load of trailers anymore for anything. Kojima's story post Konami is still very interesting, so it's no surprise a lot of the talking points will be about him. Especially when they are intentionally being very shy with Death Stranding info, which is pretty common for Sony too nowadays.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Good, I love games that aren't just 'games' and try something else, even if they don't succeed commercially. gaming is interactive , so any approach is valid. Even if some purists try to downplay them.
For example i find point and click games boring, but sure they have an audience.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The salt in this thread is certainly hilarious. So much whining about an easily ignored marketing campaign.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
What has me interested in the game is the mystery of everything. Whether it all adds up to a coherent and intriguing plot or pretentious bs remains to be seen.

But some of the people praising the game before its out need to dial it down a bit as that kind of marketing can leave a bad taste in people's mouths. Tho, people who have played have been impressed so maybe they aren't just high off the hype. Hopefully there will be preview impressions a month or so before release so at least we can get a solid idea of what to expect

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I am missing from a new Kojima game is the carnival of stupid. We kinda didn't get one this time, how come?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There have been at least four substantial trailers for the game. None of them feature Kojima.

Press coverage I'll give you, they're this way about all of his games. I don't know if we can directly blame Kojipro for that though.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even in the PS2 days people liked to shit on Kojima and act like his games were just movies, this is nothing new.
And fanboys eat this shit up and claim kojima is the true artist and his games are too deep and nuanced for simple people to understand. So in the end it evens out

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, here come the Kojima detractors...
I can't wait for this to be one of his highest selling, best reviewed games ever.

Why the fuck are people that allegedly aren't interested in his games shitposting on all of the Kojima-related threads?!

For the love of fuck, all he has said is that he wants to push the medium forward and that he wants to do something unconventional. Is the fact that he actually can getting to you that much?

His entire gameography proves you the fuck wrong.
A lot of people enjoy his games, the industry respects him and his games both sell and review well and have been doing so since over 30 fucking years!

That's a lot more than any of you will ever be able to say.
Highest selling? Do you actually expect that?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this to be one of his highest selling, best reviewed games ever.

Why the fuck are people that allegedly aren't interested in his games shitposting on all of the Kojima-related threads?!

For the love of fuck, all he has said is that he wants to push the medium forward and that he wants to do something unconventional. Is the fact that he actually can getting to you that much?

A lot of people enjoy his games, the industry respects him and his games both sell and review well and have been doing so since over 30 fucking years!

I see you have come to understand the truth of the Death Stranding

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There have been at least four substantial trailers for the game. None of them feature Kojima.

Press coverage I'll give you, they're this way about all of his games. I don't know if we can directly blame Kojipro for that though.

The most recent trailer is the only one that's felt even remotely close to accurately reflecting what the game might be. Most of the trailers have just been artsy cutscene nonsense. I see no value in cutscene-only trailers, I'm afraid.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Am I gonna be ashamed of my words and deeds again?

I don't trust any game where Kojima is given a blank check and no editor.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It's amazing how upset some people ITT are getting about creators even thinking that they're making something important. Like, I understand being dubious about Kojima's work, and thinking he's pretentious and/or crazy and/or an idiot and/or a dickhead (I definitely wasn't ashamed of my words and deeds when it was all said and done), but some of the posts read like parody.

"He didn't think my favorite battle royale has artistic merit! ;_;"
"This marketing cycle is so obnoxious I'm starting to think I won't even buy this game. Take that, Kojima!"
"Kojima's pretentiousness killed my dog."

What happens if the game comes out and it is great? A suicide pact? Or what if it comes out and it sucks? Public floggings?

200.gif

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This game isn't going to live up to the hype, im sure it will be a fun ride though, but i don't think it will be game changing.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this exactly what the majority of Era wants? For developers to use the medium uninhibited from the sanitised clutches of evil publishers and to make sociopolitical via the art form itself?

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
It's amazing how upset some people ITT are getting about creators even thinking that they're making something important. Like, I understand being dubious about Kojima's work, and thinking he's pretentious and/or crazy and/or an idiot and/or a dickhead (I definitely wasn't ashamed of my words and deeds when it was all said and done), but some of the post like parody.

"He didn't think my favorite battle royale has artistic merit! ;_;"
"This marketing cycle is so obnoxious I'm starting to think I won't even buy this game. Take that, Kojima!"
"Kojima's pretentiousness killed my dog."

What happens if the game comes out and it is great? A suicide pact? Or what if it comes out and it sucks? Public floggings?

200.gif

Ideally I want all video games to be good. But Kojima hasn't made a good game or told a good story since MGS3, so I'm skeptical of his capabilities, annoyed by the hero-worship, and off-put by talk once more of how he's gonna push the industry forward.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this exactly what the majority of Era wants? For developers to use the medium uninhibited from the sanitised clutches of evil publishers and to make sociopolitical via the art form itself?
No one is really saying thats not what they want. Most people in here are just expressing frustration that the advertising for this game has been mostly all talk and no show. Dont tell us your game is going to push boundaries on the sociopolitical front, show us how its going to do that. Or at least give us something tangible in your discussions about what it is exactly that this game is going to do in order to achieve that. Theyve done neither and have virtually just kept repeating the same Kojima worship speak over and over again. Its just not that interesting

It kind of is, imo. And I say that as a fan of past Kojima games.

Am I bad for not caring about a game making a statement, and care more about fun gameplay?
I'm kind of in the same boat. I enjoyed all the MGS games and PT might be my favorite horror game ever. But the marketing for this game is obnoxious. I want to know what the game is actually doing before getting excited. I dont care what the intentions are, I want to know what the actual product is going to do.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ideally I want all video games to be good. But Kojima hasn't made a good game or told a good story since MGS3, so I'm skeptical of his capabilities, annoyed by the hero-worship, and off-put by talk once more of how he's gonna push the industry forward.
Peace Walker was good, if flawed, MGS4 was good, if flawed, Ground Zeroes was great, MGS5 was good, if flawed, PT was great. Where they as good as MGS3? Not in my opinion, but they were still good. Story wise sure, he got a little too nonsensical and tried explaning stuff that didn't really need explaning, but outside of MGS5, they were still enjoyable, despite that.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see how pretentious this game is. I just want to pop ladders out everywhere.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Troy Baker: Metal Gear Solid V "May Be the Biggest Game I've Ever Seen;" Compares it Against Skyrim

he wasn't wrong, tbf.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima threads are like David Cage threads now? lol
Yep...it's getting downright ridiculous, most DS or Kojima threads turns to absolute shit recently...and the funniest thing is that this thread is about a Troy Baker quote and not a Kojima quote.
And trying to push the medium forward is a positive thing. People just searching for things to hate and get salty on

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Highest selling? Do you actually expect that?
Sony's games/or games associated with Sony have sold a shit-ton recently. Even brand-new IP's that haven't reviewed well, have sold a shit-ton (Days Gone).

So when a World-renowned game creator announces his first new big IP in 30 years, with a plethora of well-known actors and actresses and with arguably the best gaming company in the world backing him (Sony), you don't expect it to do well?

Death Stranding is odd. It's confusing. And it's intruging as hell. The release date trailer alone has almost 7,5 million views. The fact that we don't know shit has essentially become a meme. It will do well.

Oh, and this too.

Last edited:

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love ERA pretending that this game needs to transcend video games, so that they can bust a nut saying "not so revolutionary after all, huh Kojima???" when it releases.

You all know that it will simply be a great game with a unique element or two. You all have seen a million pieces of media where an actor needlessly hypes it up (including your beloved Marvel movies), and you all know that it is always bluster that should be ignored, and that the final product should be judged independently.
I agree the game should be judged independently from the hype before release, but at the same time you claim we all "know it will simply be a great game with a unique element or two." You've already judged it lol.

Serious question though...what about this game has been unique so far?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Like I said, I think it's perfectly reasonable to think this game might suck. I'm dubious about it as well. At a time when full blown nazis are on the rise, I don't think what we've seen of the main story's overarching message (which reads to me like a facile call for reconciliation) inspires confidence.

But that said, I consider MGS1 and 2 to be very important (if still very silly) moments in the medium, so I think it's also reasonable to think that his first game away from Konami might also be very significant.

But people calling excited Kojima fans cultists is sillier than anything Kojima's ever written.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still iffy on the game. I'll wait to see what critics and other people who play it say before diving in myself.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Difference is Cage's games do feel more like interactive movies, whereas Kojima keeps on releasing highly acclaimed games that make the haters just angrier and angrier.

I've played through and loved/liked every mainline MGS game and for MGSV I preordered the Limited Edition PS4 version and the PC version. If being ambivalent and a bit cynical towards Death Stranding and the ego-worshipping and celebrity-worship that so much of its advertising revolves around makes me a 'Hideo Kojima hater' then, fuck, I guess I am. Some people would call me a David Lynch hater because I didn't like Twin Peaks Season 3 despite Eraserhead and Twin Peaks Season 1/2 being high up in my lists of favourite movies/TV shows respectively.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it will be weird but why not let the game speak for itself?

Like there is such a thing as setting the bar so high, you know?

It will either be the greatest of all time or its going to be an unbridled self indulgent mess. There will be no in between. I guess we will see soon enough.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The internet is a curious place, people really bother about the prestige and affection that successful people in their field receive from fans and others in the same field.It must be incredible for Kojima see all the passion their fans and the media has for his work,I would love have this motivation to do my work.
Still the internet is full of salt about it.