• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind that he's now twice basically said "This collusion thing was a bust so now they're investigating all of my other crimes instead" and it just... flies over people's heads. It's all so fucking blatant and right in everyone's face it drives me fucking crazy.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The elitist rich New Yorker in his ivory tower mocks the accent and cadence of a Southern white male from Alabama. Woosh it goes over the conservatives heads as they assure themselves that liberal elitists look down on them and that's terrible.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans did this to us. Republicans continue to support this.

Never forget that.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand how anyone could convince themselves Trump has any charisma

There are lots of definitions of what charisma is - with the most mechanical and sterile being something like "a persona that for either specific or combinations of reasons is highly visible and hard to ignore and captures the attention or imagination of an audience "

And of course it can mean all manner of things - from smoldering sexuality and talent of a young Elvis or James Brown - to the unhinged and violent rhetorical mien of Hitler or Mussolini

Female charisma is just as prevalent but at a largely different encapsulated spectrum - yes sexy extremes like Marilyn Monroe or the more intellectual charm of Lauren Bacall - but also the force of personality from a Diane Feinstein or Roseanne Barr or the quirky ebullience of Michelle Thaller (girl, let me at your hair with some product). There ARE violently rhetorical dictator types but it's possible that gender roles reduce their avenues for success at least historically.

It doesn't require physical attractiveness at all - and there's an element that can be lost in the presentation or broadcast as a slew of Scott Eastwoods or Sam Worthingtons demonstrate - these examples are extremely handsome and in real life probably ferociously charismatic relative to a room full of randos.

I think my definition of it is a kind of aura of elements that a person emits in words and appearance that has a kind of brightness or volume and that it can be natural or deliberately projected -and amplified through content or performance. But it's also contextual - it can be turned off, or overshadowed by more charismatic company.

There's a video of a Trump legal deposition on one of his many bankruptcies or frauds where he ends up in a corner where he can't perform his act or tell the kinds of lies he always does and is forced into a legal strategy where he has to (still lying but sedated by the circumstances) simply plead ignorance to item after item. He looks beaten and pathetic and shitty because he's been cowed by, in this case the force of law, with no way out - but it shows that his charisma isn't permanent. It's built on the absurdity of his bullshit.

You can see him shrink and also see how intellectually stunted he is. He's only comprehending about 50% of the nuance and technical language :
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/30/donald_trump_deposition_video_live_blogged.html

There are two or three main types of reaction to Trump's bravado and vanity - the (libtard) recognition of what an outlandishly pathetic thing he is - a buffoon of such magnitude and such total failure at being a decent person -from trivia like his stupid haircut or his gross affection for his daughter - to the big stuff like the catastrophic harm he's doing on the world stage. But you can't look away. He's impossible to ignore.

The second type of reaction (and I'm not ignoring dolts who literally believe everything he says) is a recognition of the power of his cartoonish klaxon of absurdity - and the instinct that he can deliver for them the worst things he's offering - racism and tribalism mostly, but they will buy any product he is selling after a while. I think intellectually a lot of them understand what he really is - but as long as his continued existence and uncanny durability persist - that they will push that to the back of their mind - or even trick themselves into believing it.

The third and most morally repugnant reaction to his charisma is the GOP one - the recognition that this insanity can be an aegis for personal and party gain as long as they harness it by riding at the front of this train - and defending it lockstep to gain the most benefit. That's McConnell and the senate and some of the house. They've painted themselves into a corner by trying to ride it out - but this is a person who if he were a private citizen - they would NEVER admit him into their club. He's the height of gauche and ignorance but he's all they've got. But they'd not only admit he was charismatic - they'd likely define it the same way a liberal would.

Charisma is, as D&D suggests - a thing that can be used for good or evil - but it is not independent OF good or evil. Trump's charisma is defined and caused by the evil and stupidity that he enacts.

If Trump tried to focus his natural charisma on doing good, on being moral, on being charitable and kind and curious - I think he would fail very hard - but I also think that it would make him smaller and less charismatic - his behaviors in many ways can't even be applied to good at a fundamental level.

Last edited:

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
People are seriously underestimating how much people just didn't like Hillary Clinton rather than liked Trump

I used to think this but it had nothing to do with Hillary specifically. Look at the full court press right wing propagandists are currently running against AOC. They'll have her and any other front runner's name so thoroughly poisoned in the minds of the average, low info voterby the time the election rolls around that they can make a Hillary out of anyone.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Look at this rock star bullshit he pulls between nonsenses.
f4mwkr0.gif

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like, in a saner time, this speech alone would've been reasonable grounds to enact the 25th Amendment, section 4. He's fucking lost it, and they still won't take his keys away.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to think this but it had nothing to do with Hillary specifically. Look at the full court press right wing propagandists are currently running against AOC. They'll have her and any other front runner's name so thoroughly poisoned in the minds of the average, low info voterby the time the election rolls around that they can make a Hillary out of anyone.
I think Hillary is kind of a special case given all her politcal baggage

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"They were coming out of everywhere to vote, those red hats--and white ones!"

Those were hoods Donald, not hats

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Trump claims that Democratic California Gov. Gavin Newsom told him privately that he is a great president and extremely smart, but that Newsom will not admit this in public. Trump has a long history of inventing things people supposedly told him over the phone.

1:12 PM - Mar 2, 2019

This part is true, Jacob Wohl overheard them talking at a hipster coffee shop... check his twitter for more info:
https://twitter.com/jacobawohl/status/1055210882949509120

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It goes without saying, but why would he give a shit that Sessions recused himself if he was innocent?

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
It goes without saying, but why would he give a shit that Sessions recused himself if he was innocent?

Because Trump cares about loyalty to himself first, last and always. To him, sessions recusing himself was a personal betrayal after he made him AG, and that's the only thing Trump cares about. Trump doesn't care that he committed crimes, he's never had to pay for them before. He cares that Sessions betrayed him.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I hope it burns in Sessions' ears for the rest of his miserable life to be honest. This is how Donald Trump responds to loyalty and this is how he has always responded to loyalty. Good for you, Jeff.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Because he likes holding up a giant metaphorical sign saying "i'm guilty".

For instance Paul Manafort gave proprietary polling data to Russia and held a secret meeting with Russia in Trumps tower to illegally find dirt on his opponent, when this stuff came it it made the Trump campaign look guilty, but instead of thanking Mueller/Prosectuors for catching them and bringing these incidents to his attention, he publicly defends manafort and rips mueller.

That's not something an innocent person does.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it burns in Sessions' ears for the rest of his miserable life to be honest. This is how Donald Trump responds to loyalty and this is how he has always responded to loyalty. Good for you, Jeff.

It does make me wonder. It's been two years now, and Trump has left behind him a path of ruination, with many burned bridges from people he threw under the bus. I wonder if ANY of these people ever feel regret, or even talk to each other about how they got burned for being loyal. Or whether, when asked, they legitimately shed a tear and say, "It was an honor. If I got thrown under the bus, it was because I deserved it for not being good enough for our President. This is on me, not him."

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are lots of definitions of what charisma is - with the most mechanical and sterile being something like "a persona that for either specific or combinations of reasons is highly visible and hard to ignore and captures the attention or imagination of an audience "

And of course it can mean all manner of things - from smoldering sexuality and talent of a young Elvis or James Brown - to the unhinged and violent rhetorical mien of Hitler or Mussolini

Female charisma is just as prevalent but at a largely different encapsulated spectrum - yes sexy extremes like Marilyn Monroe or the more intellectual charm of Lauren Bacall - but also the force of personality from a Diane Feinstein or Roseanne Barr or the quirky ebullience of Michelle Thaller (girl, let me at your hair with some product). There ARE violently rhetorical dictator types but it's possible that gender roles reduce their avenues for success at least historically.

It doesn't require physical attractiveness at all - and there's an element that can be lost in the presentation or broadcast as a slew of Scott Eastwoods or Sam Worthingtons demonstrate - these examples are extremely handsome and in real life probably ferociously charismatic relative to a room full of randos.

I think my definition of it is a kind of aura of elements that a person emits in words and appearance that has a kind of brightness or volume and that it can be natural or deliberately projected -and amplified through content or performance. But it's also contextual - it can be turned off, or overshadowed by more charismatic company.

There's a video of a Trump legal deposition on one of his many bankruptcies or frauds where he ends up in a corner where he can't perform his act or tell the kinds of lies he always does and is forced into a legal strategy where he has to (still lying but sedated by the circumstances) simply plead ignorance to item after item. He looks beaten and pathetic and shitty because he's been cowed by, in this case the force of law, with no way out - but it shows that his charisma isn't permanent. It's built on the absurdity of his bullshit.

You can see him shrink and also see how intellectually stunted he is. He's only comprehending about 50% of the nuance and technical language :
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/30/donald_trump_deposition_video_live_blogged.html

There are two or three main types of reaction to Trump's bravado and vanity - the (libtard) recognition of what an outlandishly pathetic thing he is - a buffoon of such magnitude and such total failure at being a decent person -from trivia like his stupid haircut or his gross affection for his daughter - to the big stuff like the catastrophic harm he's doing on the world stage. But you can't look away. He's impossible to ignore.

The second type of reaction (and I'm not ignoring dolts who literally believe everything he says) is a recognition of the power of his cartoonish klaxon of absurdity - and the instinct that he can deliver for them the worst things he's offering - racism and tribalism mostly, but they will buy any product he is selling after a while. I think intellectually a lot of them understand what he really is - but as long as his continued existence and uncanny durability persist - that they will push that to the back of their mind - or even trick themselves into believing it.

The third and most morally repugnant reaction to his charisma is the GOP one - the recognition that this insanity can be an aegis for personal and party gain as long as they harness it by riding at the front of this train - and defending it lockstep to gain the most benefit. That's McConnell and the senate and some of the house. They've painted themselves into a corner by trying to ride it out - but this is a person who if he were a private citizen - they would NEVER admit him into their club. He's the height of gauche and ignorance but he's all they've got. But they'd not only admit he was charismatic - they'd likely define it the same way a liberal would.

Charisma is, as D&D suggests - a thing that can be used for good or evil - but it is not independent OF good or evil. Trump's charisma is defined and caused by the evil and stupidity that he enacts.

If Trump tried to focus his natural charisma on doing good, on being moral, on being charitable and kind and curious - I think he would fail very hard - but I also think that it would make him smaller and less charismatic - his behaviors in many ways can't even be applied to good at a fundamental level.
Interesting analysis of Trump and charisma in general.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's the dude who DIDN'T make the play but still tells people he totally did.

No, he's the guy who saw a sport on TV and thought "That looks easy." and then started telling people that he's the best.
A friend of my aunt's was bragging about what an amazing skier he was. They brought him along on their next day trip and told him they'd meet him at the top of lift *. It only served (Colorado) double-diamond runs. The guy was a total beginner and had to be removed from the mountain by the ski patrol.

Oct 29, 2017
I pray for a day when no one speaks or thinks of this man and his family. Next president means we move on. This idiot does not represent this country.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
He couldn't give two shits. He had a long career of fucking people of color over. He's happy with his life.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Holy fucking shit. People who support Trump are fucking insane if they can keep supporting him after this rambling of inconsistent nonsense.
Is it the pure hate for nonwhite people that keep Trump supporters, Trump supports? What makes them stay behind and support an individual who is clearly a sociopath?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the point of the electoral thingy. I'm not American so that might be why, but it seems like if another candidate had more votes they should've won.
Quick explanation. America isn't a direct democracy. Each state has a certain number of electoral votes which are divided once the popular vote is counted, and electoral votes are what win the presidency. Nearly all states have a system where ALL of their electoral votes go towards the popular winner of that state, even if they only won by a small margin. So you can see how a few razor thin wins in large states with lots of electoral votes can dramatically swing an election.

You may wonder why America uses an electoral college! The idea is that the electoral college would act as a buffer to prevent a low-information mob from electing an unfit President. In such an event, a delegate in the electoral college would vote against the public's will for the good of the country.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
First lady stuff (superpredator for one)?
The Iraq war?

Not that these were treated in reasonable proportion but let's not pretend like there was nothing

They were nothing because it doesnt stand out amongst the sea of her male peers..

You forgot benghazi. I mean fuck hillary, but shes a politician. Like all politicians.. Its not like there were thousands of senators or congress people illustrating some morals that she lacked.

I remember iraq being a slam dunk. I think everyone does. Her flaws arent a prerequisite for greatness.

I didnt like voting for her, but she was better than fascism.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Quick explanation. America isn't a direct democracy. Each state has a certain number of electoral votes which are divided once the popular vote is counted, and electoral votes are what win the presidency. Nearly all states have a system where ALL of their electoral votes go towards the popular winner of that state, even if they only won by a small margin. So you can see how a few razor thin wins in large states with lots of electoral votes can dramatically swing an election.

You may wonder why America uses an electoral college! The idea is that the electoral college would act as a buffer to prevent a low-information mob from electing an unfit President. In such an event, a delegate in the electoral college would vote against the public's will for the good of the country
Thanks for the explanation, although it still seems a bit weird to put all their votes into a single candidate if it wins instead of doing it by % or whatever.

They seem to be doing a poor job at that last part though.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
You're giving abject morons an awful lot of easy credit.

Republicans can try to run the Hillary gameplan on AOC all they want, doesn't mean it will work on anyone except the cultists, and we shouldn't care what they think.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Republicans can try to run the Hillary gameplan on AOC all they want, doesn't mean it will work on anyone except the cultists, and we shouldn't care what they think.

I'm kind of curious as to which is more effective. Like in 10 years, is Fox STILL going to be banging the Hillary drum? 100 years from now? Is she the permanent Republican Anti-Christ, or can someone like AOC replace her as the new threat they have to worry about?

I mean, it would be very weird if, in 2118, a Republican candidate is still campaigning on, "BUT HER EMAILS!" and the people are screaming back "LOCK HER UP!" even though she's been dead for generations.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

I mean Hillary was deeply flawed. I did not enjoy voting for her one bit. Still exponentially better than Trump.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I mean Hillary was deeply flawed. I did not enjoy voting for her one bit. Still exponentially better than Trump.
Ya, I wasn't trying to imply she doesn't have valid criticisms, but there's certainly a distinction between talking about those and the decades-long campaign Republicans/the media have ran to smear her.

Saying that they can just as easily apply that tactic to someone else and it will be as effective was my issue. I don't think that should be a concern to have.