BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
CNN talking that they are already expected to hear on the ballot request this week, and with how strong this appeals response is, they may just basket case it all together that Trump cannot be removed from the ballot, but he is not immune and move on.

Jan 4, 2021
CNN talking that they are already expected to hear on the ballot request this week, and with how strong this appeals response is, they may just basket case it all together that Trump cannot be removed from the ballot, but he is not immune and move on.
I heard this from npr a while back too. The SC wants an easy out and seem to give something to both sides, so they'll deny him immunity but keep him on the ballot

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
8evscr.jpg

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I heard this from npr a while back too. The SC wants an easy out and seem to give something to both sides, so they'll deny him immunity but keep him on the ballot
It would make sense, and keep the heat from the SC from taking it. Then Trump has his appeal, which he'll submit at the last possible second, hopefully a fast turnaround, and this case starts in April timeframe.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Well for a couple months now experts have been saying SCOTUS probably doesn't want to touch it, which is kind of why I was okay with it taking a while to make it SCOTUS proof.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
THIS is a great quote:

"Trump's stance would collapse our system of separated powers by placing the President above the reach of all three Branches"

This is the most important point I've seen so far — and precisely why SCOTUS should refuse to hear this case outright.

In short.. YOU ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW, YOU ASSHOLE!

Reddline

Oct 27, 2017
Trump has til MONDAY to get the Supreme Court to issue a stay.
Good luck on convincing them to even review this.
This isn't correct.

Trump has until Monday to ask the Supreme Court to take up his case, not that the Supreme Court needs to issue a stay by Monday.

So glad this ruling came out and has thoroughly destroyed Trump's bullshit king argument.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Trump team stating they will request in the appeal that this case be moved until after the election....well....good luck with that.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see the true reality of the SC's political gamesmanship with their actions next. If they really want to flex for Trump, then now's the time, almost nothing else really matters because he will take a big L in the interference case if it's allowed to happen.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
This isn't correct.

Trump has until Monday to ask the Supreme Court to take up his case, not that the Supreme Court needs to issue a stay by Monday.

So glad this ruling came out and has thoroughly destroyed Trump's bullshit king argument.
I stand corrected on that.

But the good news is that the wheels are back in motion.

There are some POWERFUL statements buried in the text of the ruling:

View: https://x.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1754887258560192939?s=20

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see the true reality of the SC's political gamesmanship with their actions next. If they really want to flex for Trump, then now's the time, almost nothing else really matters because he will take a big L in the interference case if it's allowed to happen.
They've actually gone against Trump in a few things, I don't think they take this at all, or lump it with the ballot ruling, which sounds like it may come this week, especially with the appeals ruling that Trump needs to take this to the SC by Monday next week.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
There's absolutely no way the SC will rule against this.

It would technically give Biden unlimited power. The Republican SC members aren't going to do that.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The easiest "way out" for SCOTUS at this point is to simply not take up the case at all. Done and done.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Yup. It will likely be the key to the US Supreme Court saying no to review.

Correct

Trump has til MONDAY to get the Supreme Court to issue a stay.
Good luck on convincing them to even review this.

And it's not just a case of Trump saying "no u" and then taking the same case to SCOTUS, I don't think. They have to somehow point out specific points the DC appeals court got wrong. Very much feels like they aren't even going to have time to do this to any degree of quality before Chutkan can continue her work.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I am curious about: let's say these trails are still ongoing and Trump actually wins the election. That would freeze the trails since he would be immune again, however he couldn't pardon himself because he is not convicted yet? Thus they would resume again after 4 years?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely no way the SC will rule against this.

It would technically give Biden unlimited power. The Republican SC members aren't going to do that.

He could just have all the conservatives on the court removed. What are they gonna do about it???
So... yeah I think they will punt this.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
He could just have all the conservatives on the court removed. What are they gonna do about it???
So... yeah I think they will punt this.

They know that no Democratic President is likely to ever take advantage of this though. Meanwhile, almost any MAGA President would double down on it.

It's not in the party's DNA. It would be extremely advantangeous pretty much exclusively to Republicans.

I don't think it's likely to happen, but there's some naivete in regards to the "Biden can start shooting people" argument. Realistically Democrats would skate on minor shit, and Republicans would skate on treasonous shit on the regular.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
They know that no Democratic President is likely to ever take advantage of this though. Meanwhile, almost any MAGA President would double down on it.

It's not in the party's DNA. It would be extremely advantangeous pretty much exclusively to Republicans.

I don't think it's likely to happen, but there's some naivete in regards to the "Biden can start shooting people" argument. Realistically Democrats would skate on minor shit, and Republicans would skate on treasonous shit on the regular.

While I think Trump is mostly looking at how this hurts him now, it would be terrifying for the decision to go the other way and then have another MAGA republican get in the white house (or Trump again).

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
maga land isn't taking the news well. They all are screaming for immunity for a guy who claims he is innocent.