• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WaPo reports on a Tweet from Trump that shows that Trump has a "profound misunderstanding" of the U.S. Constitution where he stated he would involve SCOTUS if impeachment proceedings are started: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m_term=.15e223b4b95a&wpisrc=nl_evening&wpmm=1

The Mueller Report, despite being written by Angry Democrats and Trump Haters, and with unlimited money behind it ($35,000,000), didn't lay a glove on me. I DID NOTHING WRONG. If the partisan Dems ever tried to Impeach, I would first head to the U.S. Supreme Court. Not only......

.....are there no "High Crimes and Misdemeanors," there are no Crimes by me at all. All of the Crimes were committed by Crooked Hillary, the Dems, the DNC and Dirty Cops - and we caught them in the act! We waited for Mueller and WON, so now the Dems look to Congress as last hope!

WaPo article:

April 24, 2019

President Trump suggested Wednesday that he would ask the Supreme Court to intervene if Democrats move to impeach him — a notion that legal experts said showed a misunderstanding of the Constitution.

It was unclear how Trump would legally justify such a move, since the Constitution delegates impeachment proceedings to Congress, not the courts. Trump mentioned the idea briefly in morning tweets in which he lashed out at Democrats who are continuing to investigate him after the release of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III's report.

"I DID NOTHING WRONG," Trump wrote. "If the partisan Dems ever tried to Impeach, I would first head to the U.S. Supreme Court. Not only are there no 'High Crimes and Misdemeanors,' there are no Crimes by me at all."

A White House spokesman did not respond to a request to elaborate on what the president would seek from the court.

The notion was ridiculed by several legal experts, including Laurence Tribe, a Harvard law professor, who accused Trump of "idiocy."

"Not even a SCOTUS filled with Trump appointees would get in the way of the House or Senate," Tribe wrote on Twitter, adding that Trump apparently thinks his recent court appointments would give him a " 'get out of jail free' card."

Joshua Matz, a lawyer who specializes in constitutional law, said that Trump's tweet "reflects a profound misunderstanding."

While it's possible that the court could play a role on "collateral disputes" arising from an impeachment proceeding, it has "no constitutional warrant to second-guess the substance of an impeachment judgment," Matz said in an email.

"If the President were to seek judicial intervention in that fashion, the courts would almost certainly refuse to hear the case on the ground that it is a 'political question' textually entrusted to Congress by the Constitution," Matz said.

Trump more broadly is resisting efforts by House Democrats to scrutinize his actions in the wake of the Mueller report.

He told The Washington Post on Tuesday that he is opposed to current and former White House aides providing testimony to congressional panels.

"There is no reason to go any further, and especially in Congress where it's very partisan — obviously very partisan," Trump said.

Trump continued to push back against congressional scrutiny Wednesday morning as he talked to reporters before leaving the White House for a trip to Atlanta.

"We're fighting all the subpoenas," Trump said. "These aren't like impartial people. The Democrats are trying to win 2020 . . . And they're not gonna win against me. The only way they can maybe luck out, and I don't think that's gonna happen — it might make it even the opposite, that's what a lot of people are saying — the only way they can luck out is by constantly going after me on nonsense."

He also suggested Congress had misplaced priorities.

"Get back to infrastructure. Get back to cutting taxes. Get back to lowering drug prices," Trump said.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
He knows he's vulnerable. Momentum is growing for impeachment every day.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Legal experts said this showed a profound misunderstanding of the Constitution? A 1L could tell you this shows a profound misunderstanding of the Constitution.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I always enjoy the timestamps on his multiple tweets - though as long as 8 minutes is to craft that witty follow-up tweet it's probably quicker than most.

Also, not sure why anyone should be surprised at Trump's lack of knowledge of something.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
"Not even a SCOTUS filled with Trump appointees would get in the way of the House or Senate," Tribe wrote on Twitter, adding that Trump apparently thinks his recent court appointments would give him a " 'get out of jail free' card."

JAJAJA thinking about trumps's realization that his scotus-swooping-in-to-save-him doomsday scenario doesn't actually work like that.

Oct 25, 2017
He's not really wrong, he's just eliding a few steps. Any attempt to impeach will inevitably lead to a supreme court case.

(Surprised he didn't call it "his" supreme court.)

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
We just cut taxes doofus. There have been no significant benefits....We can't cut taxes year over year over year.

"I DID NOTHING WRONG" sure sounds like you did something wrong.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even if they dont impeach him the fact he is panicing and losing sleep over this makes me happy.

Cant be good for his coke zero cheeseburger heart :(

:)

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the same guy who said there were 10 articles in the constitution. He's a fucking idiot.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Imagine how he will react if Dems really start impeachment. It worth it just to see him melting down.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Who will stop him when he goes to the Supreme Court? Oh, no one just like after every other thing he's done? Ok.

He's been able to do everything he's wanted to so far without any more than "discussions" about how bad or illegal or wrong it is, why should he worry about what the constitution might say about this?

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
He has profound misunderstandings of many simpler things than just the Constitution.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
" the courts would almost certainly "

Boy, now thats rock solid right there. We are still in a world where a rapist got onto the Supreme court, and a judge let Manafort off easy because he believed his side of events and thought he was a decent guy?

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Considering he thought the WH counsel was supposed to be his personal lawyer and let him talk to Mueller, I'm not surprised.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why he's worried about impeachment. The democrats are spinless cowards who never do anything.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
What would he hope the SC was going to do, march out in the street and crack some skulls? Does he not understand the three branches of government and how they function?

Why am I asking rhetorical, easy, questions. Because my questions are absurd as this presidency.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
This is what caused some to have the revelation that he has a "profound misunderstanding" of the constitution? What about when he laid the blame of the entire federal government at the feet of a single senator/SoS for starters.

Oct 25, 2017
What authority does the SC have over impeachment proceedings?
Nothing direct, but you can just about guarantee the SC will see cases related to:
  • congress's power to investigate and demand for example, tax returns
  • executive priviledge and the power to ignore subpoenas, what happens when they ignore contempt charges
  • the ability to indict Trump and other key executives
Some of these fights have already begun in lower court.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are some people out there who still see this as an act, or bluster, or a means to an end...and not just another example of Trump showing he's a fucking moron.

How? I don't know...I don't know...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Hillary, and other Dems were in the Mueller report??? And some got arrested, indicted???

How did I miss this bombshell??

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Who will stop him when he goes to the Supreme Court? Oh, no one just like after every other thing he's done? Ok.

He's been able to do everything he's wanted to so far without any more than "discussions" about how bad or illegal or wrong it is, why should he worry about what the constitution might say about this?

What would even be the basis for going to the Supreme Court even be? You still have to state legal grounds for why the Court should take up the case and Congress can impeach on anything.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope he at least gets prosecuted when he's out of office. Dude's stupidity alone warrants jail time