• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. They're going much harder on this than I expected. This is going to be real interesting.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they're going all in with this labo kit. i felt like they're sending this one to die just to be done with labo, but seems like they want to really try and sell this one.

i20bot

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That cardboard is gonna absorb so much oil. Unless they tape the whole thing.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's cardboard. If it gets gross, they probably have some replacement units. Can't be particularly expensive to have extras on hand.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will. Low grade VR has been available for years now with phones and stuff, and high end VR seems to be doing okay regardless.

This is different though, Nintendo means something more in people's eyes. Just look how much people will still bring up Virtual Boy as a example of failed VR, totally missing that it isn't VR at all.

Whether this well affect people's opinions negatively, who knows, but Nintendo has a lot more sway in affecting people's perception of gaming and emerging technologies. Good and bad.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is different though, Nintendo means something more in people's eyes. Just look how much people will bring up Virtual Boy as a example of failed VR, totally missing that it isn't VR at all.

Whether this well affect people's opinions negatively, who knows, but Nintendo has a lot more sway in affecting people's perception of gaming. Good and bad.
I mean, Nintendo doesn't have the widespread penetration that Samsung or Google have. They have both had poor tier VR implementations for years. VR still continues to do well. I don't think Labo VR will break that market all of a sudden simply by existing.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendo has zero (0) responsibility to care about the good name of real VR™

So you are comparing those no name vr sets to this in terms of awareness?
this has been talked to death in the announcement thread once, and in the thread about VR updates for botw and smo twice, it's a shame people like you had to drag it into this thread about best buy demos as well. the long and short of it is, nintendo, and us, have zero reasons to give a shit.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Nintendo doesn't have the widespread penetration that Samsung or Google have. They have both had poor tier VR implementations for years. VR still continues to do well. I don't think Labo VR will break that market all of a sudden simply by existing.

It's not penetration that matters, it's reputation, something that Nintendo has way more in the gaming sphere.

Oct 25, 2017
]Thats what I said. I hope it DOESN'T suck.

ie. Motion sickness, low resolution, framerate, the fact that you are pressing this thing to your face rather than it resting naturally.

VR is fucking amazing, and I honestly want it to take off.

And the less "ideal" VR out there, the better. I'd rather see it grow naturally, and the good VR get cheaper over time, rather than cheap VR being cheap, and potentially putting people off.

If Switch VR is awesome, then great. I hope its good. Honestly. The more VR gains widespread appeal, the better. And Nintendo is a big player.

But if people go "Ohh, I got sick, it was uncomfortable, hard for me to see what was going on, etc." then that would suck.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Can't wait for this ultimate VR experience that I will base all other examples of VR against. Kidding aside, I'm excited to give it a go. It's inexpensive and could be super fun.