• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turkey is a associate of the EU. Turkey is in the EU customs union. EU banks have liabilities in Turkey and a economic collapse would trigger a new migration crisis.

If you think the EU would let a collapse of the turkish economy happen i have a bridge to sell you.

They´d wait for Erdogan to resign first.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things haven't been calm there for years.

'relatively'

I greatly dislike both Trump and Erdogan, but when I booked my trip they seemed to be buddies, and there had been a big dropoff in terrorist attacks. I also felt that directly supporting small businesses in the more liberal parts of the country (aka where tourists go) outweighed the indirect support of a wannabe dictator through taxes, fees, and such.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
The word dictatorship gets easily thrown around here.

Don't you think I would prefer a secular politician in charge instead of someone like Erdogan? Believe me, as a Greek guy I have more reasons than most to be concerned by Erdogan's meteoric rise to power. But, elections were held and Erdogan won fair and square. So no, it is not a dictatorship. It's what the majority chose and it is a result that has to be respected. In other words, it's democracy at work.

For the same reasons you use your vote to remove someone you don't want from office, you don't stage coups.

Ayy fair and square. Hellas, brother, ain't nothing is fair and square in Turkey anymore.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Interesting, RT also recently published some article about Turkey wanting to join the BRICS country groups and if im not mistaken also wants to join the SCO(Shanghai Cooperation Organization) both could be replacements
for EU and NATO membership, but both of those institutions are still very young.
I know RT is a Russian propaganda organisation/mouth piece, but its also a good source of information on what the other side wants to communicate to their citizens and to us.

Like i thought already institutions started by China are becoming more like a new options for non pro western countries, not willing to subject to liberal democracy and Washington

Ayy fair amd square. Hellas, brother, ain't nothing is fair and square in Turkey anymore.

I might be wrong but the Turkish people where willing to stop the military coup from happening, so its a indicator that Erdogan has the backing of majority of the Turkish people. Hell he was out of the country and had to phone in to inform the people to rise up against the coup.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
2013 was host to the Gezi protests when MILLIONS of people in all Turkish cities went on marches and protests (it sparked from someone sitting in to protect some trees). He said "I'm barely holding my 50% sitting at home in check".

Dude was always a regressive, autocratic asshole. His rallying was based on "projects" like a new tunnel and a third Bosphorus Bridge.

I stand corrected! With everything that's been going on in Turkey, the Middle East, Russia and Europe these last few years, I've been struggling to keep up with everything.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey left our sphere when Erdogan realized he couldn't get Gulen with Obama and then tried again with Trump.
When he and Putin made up after the downed Russian plane, the deal was sealed.

The thing is, only Tayyip made up with Putin, rest of Turkey still remains as Putin's enemy. They have reinstated their trade embargo after the murder of Russian ambassador, which helped lira to devalue even further. Russia was number one tourist source of Turkey, after Russia expelled Turkish tour companies from Russia and warning citizens off dangers of Turkey, Turkish tourism industry collapsed, which made up more than 15% of the total GDP. This shit is irreversible.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think theres a pattern between ultra conservative sociopaths and political disaster.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Are Erdogan and Trump not friends? Weird considering how one of those two has a golden toilet, you try to guess who.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This was coming for a long while, this recent dispute with the US is just accelerating things. Wonder how this will affect the popularity of His Highness Erdogan I.
Kinda weird to see Trump not sucking up to an autocrat
Maybe he asked his aides if Turkey is a democracy, and they said "Well, technically yes, but .." and he stopped listening after that.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Surprising as the BBC a year or two ago did a series of programmes showing Turkey doing well and switching to Muslim tourism. Gist of the show was Europe wasn't needed apparently and while some in Turkey may not like Erdogan you can't argue with what he's doing with the economy and growth.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Surprising as the BBC a year or two ago did a series of programmes showing Turkey doing well and switching to Muslim tourism. Europe wasn't needed apparently and some in Turkey may not like Erdogan but he's doing a good with growth and the economy the gist.
Now think about what happened during that time and the reason the BBC would do a "the EU isn't needed" segment.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Now think about what happened during that time and the reason the BBC would do a "the EU isn't needed" segment.

You're talking about Brexit? No, the shows had nothing to do with that and BBC is pro EU Europe and the show was more about Western business, tourism and switching out hotels to accommodate new cliental, not EU membership.

I didn't say EU, I said Europe which are two completely different things.

You'd have to watch the shows, sorry if I wasn't clear, defo not some EU is not needed slant whatsoever. It was reporting on a changing Turkey that was supposedly doing well.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell would vacation in Turkey right now, at any price?

Umm, a lot of reasonable people that want to experience a very rich culture, a mix of asain, european and middle eastern atmosphere and just overall an awesome experience ?

Also, allow me to point out the irony of calling out turks voting for erdogan when we voted in a much much worse fuck face. Isn't democracy great.

Jan 18, 2018
I have, two years ago. Cappadocia and Bursa are quite beautiful during spring. Or you can lock yourself in your house and tell yourself that there is no safer place than the US.

You dont see the difference between booking a trip two years ago, versus today?

Economic collapse creates instability. Who knows how the stupid president will react. Is that something you want to deal with on a holiday?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Umm, a lot of reasonable people that want to experience a very rich culture, a mix of asain, european and middle eastern atmosphere and just overall an awesome experience ?

Also, allow me to point out the irony of calling out turks voting for erdogan when we voted in a much much worse fuck face. Isn't democracy great.
Trump is the worst president in the last 100 years, but I'd have Erdogan as one of the few world leaders who is worse (along with Duterte, Kim Jong Un and Maduro).

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trump is the worst president in the last 100 years, but I'd have Erdogan as one of the few world leaders who is worse (along with Duterte, Kim Jong Un and Maduro).
As a Turk, I see Erdoğan as a competent Trump who's managed to extend his own term in office at any cost.

They've both managed to reach the place where their supporters follow them religiously though, and that's what kills a democracy.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yes, let's destabilize a country that houses US nuclear weapons. Weapons the Russians would love to have moved.

The entire GOP and Conservative movement are slimy fucking terrorists

Why are there nukes stationed in other countries anyway? Its not the 60s anymore, we can hit anywhere on the Earth with a nuke now.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eh not sure if I agree. At least erdogan has more than two brain cells. I would take an efficent/Intelligent despot over a racist moron anyday of the week.

But that's not the point anyway. The point is that the majority in each country choose those leaders. Now one can say that the results were a manipulated to a degree(russian hacking and Erdogan's repression) and yet the general population seems to be ok with the election results so far. They are ok enough not to rise up against their governments and perhaps that's why they deserve the pathetic leaders. The presence of these leaders as the head of the country implies the wishes of the people in one twisted way or another. So yea, the Turkish people and similarly the Americans will decide their own destiny, exactly like it is intended in a democracy.

Outside influence and agression (beside moral support and twitter statements that might inadvertently lead to ambassadorial expulsion) need not apply. Let the people decide their destiny and doom.

Apr 1, 2018
Why are there nukes stationed in other countries anyway? Its not the 60s anymore, we can hit anywhere on the Earth with a nuke now.
US stationed short-to-mid range missiles in Incirlik so they could stab the USSR in the throat if the cold war would become hot.

Short range missiles have a lower time-to-target resulting in a more favorable casualty rate among the people that cannot find shelter in time. It also would be too close and fast for arc-radars to detect.

This prompted the USSR to retaliate by doing the same in an allied country of their own, can you guess which?

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Rationalizing the actions of an oppressive and murderous regime.
And still they get money from EU. Amazing, isn't it?

Because Turkey is/was sitting on a geographical goldmine during the cold war.
Given the risen tensions with Russia having a ally that can close the Bosporus/Turkish straight and deny Russian ships access to their Sevastopol port in Crimea is worth some financial "aid".
If a country choose your side they expect some compensation for not choosing the other side, ideology etc has little to do when it comes to foreign policies of a country.

Today they are also hosting refugee camps for the EU so the EU doesn't have to take in those refugees, and see even more right wing support.

Duterte has done a lot of good, sure i dont agree with his way of tackling drugs.
- He made a big subset of higher education free for Filipinos
- Has a lot of infrastructure project planned.
- Most importantly took a hard stance for all Filipino workers in the UAE, while the west did nothing or at best a light finger slap. Duterte made sure the UAE gave the Filipino workers some basic human rights.

I would say on balance he is more of a positive force for Filipino human rights then a negative one.
As far as overstaying his term, he says he doesn't want too, but that's a old play from the dictator hand guide.
Time will tell.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am going next year to Turkey for an academic stay. I am from Mexico, so kinda used to political turmoil and devaluations.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because Turkey is/was sitting on a geographical goldmine during the cold war.
Given the risen tensions with Russia having a ally that can close the Bosporus/Turkish straight and deny Russian ships access to their Sevastopol port in Crimea is worth some financial "aid".
If a country choose your side they expect some compensation for not choosing the other side, ideology etc has little to do when it comes to foreign policies of a country.

Today they are also hosting refugee camps for the EU so the EU doesn't have to take in those refugees, and see even more right wing support.
They get/got extra money for refugees, EU paid money to Turkey before the Syrian war.
But anyway, they receive money from EU.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They get/got extra money for refugees, EU paid money to Turkey before the Syrian war.
But anyway, they receive money from EU.

The EU got something much more valuable back instead, not sure if you are from the EU but racism and far right support has taken a dramatic spike in the last 5 years.
The political center pretty much collapsed or has to struggle to hold onto power. So yeah either we in the EU man up and secure our borders with our navies taking out smuggles or pay other countries to take in refugees.
So we can attain political stability and the EU project can actually continue and not stagnate or disband because populism took over.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
As a Turk, I can't remember the last time where Turkey was not in an economic crisis

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh not sure if I agree. At least erdogan has more than two brain cells. I would take an efficent/Intelligent despot over a racist moron anyday of the week.

But that's not the point anyway. The point is that the majority in each country choose those leaders. Now one can say that the results were a manipulated to a degree(russian hacking and Erdogan's repression) and yet the general population seems to be ok with the election results so far. They are ok enough not to rise up against their governments and perhaps that's why they deserve the pathetic leaders. The presence of these leaders as the head of the country implies the wishes of the people in one twisted way or another. So yea, the Turkish people and similarly the Americans will decide their own destiny, exactly like it is intended in a democracy.

Outside influence and agression (beside moral support and twitter statements that might inadvertently lead to ambassadorial expulsion) need not apply. Let the people decide their destiny and doom.
"Won't start a civil war so they deserve it" is a weird criterion for a democracy's success.

A democracy has failed its people when one man is allowed to manipulate the constitution to get to term over and over again.
A democracy has failed its people when the government (its head) is able to run rampant with human rights violations and abuses.

Turkish people didn't choose this. Erdoğan and his supporters did. (This isn't a misunderstanding of how democracy works. I could pull up fifty articles for you about how 90% of news channels disproportionately campaigned for Erdoğan, how he's used governmental resorces to populate his rallies for the last 10 years, and how he had HUNDREDS of adverts plastered EVERYWHERE in Istanbul for MONTHS before the June election this year.)
Get out of here with the "they are ok enough not to rise up against their governments" shit.

People have the right to demand a free and equitable life from their democratic government. People don't suddenly get robbed of that right because there's no civil war (yet).

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
As a Turk, I can't remember the last time where Turkey was not in an economic crisis

Everything could have been so different :P

s-5f4b0cdd4f582bc1582bcabd7aa6311ca53cbee0.jpg

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
If the Turkish hadn't elected a religious dictator, would this be happening?

If yes, I feel bad for the Turkish working class people.

If no, then maybe they shouldn't have voted Erdogan to power?

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
There are more informed people than me on this forum on this but in 2012-13 I think his political position was banking on his strong previous successes with the economy and his pro-European/Western approach. It was only really after this he pivoted heavily into religion and a more Russian friendly/anti-Western approach and that's what began the downward spiral you see Turkey get into now.

(Even in 2012-13 you could see signs Turkey was slowly turning away from its previously progressive self but it greatly accelerated after this point).

For me it was obvious that there nothing "progressive" in Turkey under erdogan even the 2005-2010 golden era because erdogan used the vast and poor regions of east turkey to fund his the economic policies in west turkey. Something that then the political analysts, mostly liberal, closed their eyes and pretend to not see. Growth and reforms require "victims".

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus i wonder if his people will turn on him

His people would never do that, but luckily the nation isn't just "his people". Turkish Army is still out of his reach and when the things hit real rock bottom, they will take action. They have to be careful though, Erdogan has his own army, which consists of the super religious police and gendarmerie forces. A full on civil war is not out of question.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
So I was just offered a job in Istanbul for 8000TL a month. I really miss my family who is located there and just my country as it is, but this shit worries me.

Any advice?