• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Credit where credit is due, they are doing phenomenal work.

But I think you're putting too much weight in their forward planning.

If it was always their intention to have these games running on the One they would have at least mentioned it at launch if not had it implemented.

We'd be looking at different console sales right now if they had. While bc is not crazy important for sales overall it makes a big difference early in the gen.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility

This is a good read in general, but specifically they talk about the BC plans at launch

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility

This is a good read in general, but specifically they talk about the BC plans at launch

Great read, thanks.

I didn't know about the texture thing in the gpu, pretty cool.

My point still kind of stands though.

That poster implied that the 360/og was designed with forward compatibility in mind and they weren't. Not that it matters as it turns out.

Looking forward to seeing results from more games getting a pass.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why increasing of games' resolution through emulation is supposed to be all that amazing? Emulators have been doing that for years and they don't have access to original game code. What is amazing though is the performance they are getting out of it.
Well yeah, but afaik there isn't any OG xbox/360 emulator available at the moment that even plays games at this level. Also, console BC offerings usually never add additional visual improvements like added AF and resolution increases. You're basically getting instant remasters

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Credit where credit is due, they are doing phenomenal work.

But I think you're putting too much weight in their forward planning.

If it was always their intention to have these games running on the One they would have at least mentioned it at launch if not had it implemented.

We'd be looking at different console sales right now if they had. While bc is not crazy important for sales overall it makes a big difference early in the gen.

Well i dont mean that they planned to have the games running, rather the engineers knew the importance of having a consistent architecture and developing environment when going from platform to platform, and it just so happens it made BC much easier because of that.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Looking good but man it'd be great if you could just do 4k native and 16xAF on every BC game at a software level.

I know that'd be a mess to do so I understand but it would keep people like me asking why they'd waste their times on games like the first AC when you have 2 and Brotherhood around.

Yeah there's the Ezio Collection so they probably don't want to cannibalize sales.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing witchcraft at display here. Wish they'd gone to Acre to make the comparison video, it was the most stunning city in the game.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
My tweet meant that the game inherently has to have some features in it that make this kind of upgrade possible. We do not touch game code. What we CAN do with the emulator is fool the game code into thinking the console has different capabilities, essentially. So games that were authored in 10-bit color for instance, it was the 360 GPU that did the final pass conversion to display 8-bit color, and we eliminate that pass. For textures, if the engine was changing the textures used based on GPU load, they can fool the system into allowing the X1X GPU to render higher quality textures further into the distance.

Also - the games are not HDR per-se. In order for TV's to display the 10-bit colors they need to be in HDR mode, hence why you see the HDR prompt on these games. The wider color palette, combined with the inherent brightness of HDR displays, sort of gives the impression of HDR but they are not.

Regardless, the emulation team are geniuses. Glad you're enjoying the games.

Do we know what games are capable of this? Is there a list? Etc?

DARK SOULS!