• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
That is incredible. Amazing how much detail was there and just sacrificed by the resolution. I hope MS stays committed to expanding the OG and 360 libraries on the 1X.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks incredible and I love MS's BC support, sadly I got too much backlog to shell out 500 to play last gen games right now. Is there a BC upgrade for Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and jrpgs in general? That might actually push me to buy plus few exclusives that i'm interested in.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Wouldn't be the first time he was incorrect on technical specifics, but here's Albert Penello saying they revisited original code to get these enhancements working for 360 games on Xbox One X
https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/922673607666384896

I don't think he is saying that they touched the original code, just that it had to have been coded a certain way initially for them to inject these upgrades. Likely in how they are managing things in the gpu. The possibly interesting thing about Gears 3 getting upgraded, is that maybe all Unreal engine games are possible to eventually have them touched.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I am really curious how good Amped 2 would look in 4K. Was a beautiful 720p game. But damn music licenses and the whole EA thing makes it difficult.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think he is saying that they touched the original code, just that it had to have been coded a certain way initially for them to inject these upgrades. Likely in how they are managing things in the gpu. The possibly interesting thing about Gears 3 getting upgraded, is that maybe all Unreal engine games are possible to eventually have them touched.
Ah yeah, your interpretation would make more sense.

So I guess for native 4k, they are doing 4x 720p, so maybe they're prioritising those games with an easy route to integer upscaling. Although I don't know if all the games so far were originally 720p.

Yeah the engine thing could make sense, if they're hooking into the rendering of the original engine and tweaking settings to increase the output resolution.

I dunno, the technical details of this are outside my understanding, but I find it pretty fascinating. The Xbox One X, despite being cutting edge gaming hardware, is also a fantastic retro gaming machine.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I think I read that they testee every gaming engine known to consoles and tested every game. U can imagine how much R&D went into this beast. Nutso

Nov 3, 2017
Absolutely fantastic. Microsoft has slowly but steadily become an industry leader of backwards compatibility.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Ho. Ly. Shit!

Maybe it's time I revisit Assassin's Creed and get that 1000GS...

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
e1f03b1f-2940-4569-ba3f-34cb693d6507.PNG

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely amazing, this kind of improvement will definitely motivate me to get some stuff out of my last-gen backlog. I bought Fallout 3 specifically because it was announced to be X enhanced, no joke. Also don't forget that outside of the (so far) 7 specifically enhanced games, all 360 games get 16xAF and other magic, plus the obvious framerate boost in case it was unstable or it was unlocked, considering all the extra beef under the hood. Can't wait to try it out.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe they are doing them in order. Also there is that remaster of some of the others that might still be selling.

Wouldn't doubt it. There's a weird thing goin on with Xbox and AssCreed. I think besides Origins every game popped up for GWG once

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
while i have no interest in playing these old game, if i did this is certainly the way i would want it to be done. some of these improvements rival some of the lower tier "remasters" we've had this gen. Res and AF go a long way to making a game look better it seems.

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
Just me or did the framerate on X seem worse at points (eg when Altair gets up in the initial cutscene?)

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Now that was a thing of beauty. To think that the 1X could be able to crack out that much out of a 360 game that is almost 10 years old and made it look like that. Hopefully we will get to see more examples in the future of how the 1X can powerup games from the past (although the real kicker would be if we see examples from the original xbox and see how it would look like if that were to ever happen).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I said wow. The fact that you don't have to do any weird config/compat work like you often have to do with older PC games makes this very appealing to me.

SteelOak

Oct 28, 2017
I played this not that long ago on PC in hi resolution. I was amazed how good this game still looks. Great to see it upgraded on Xbox.
I hope Reach will get this treatment!

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why increasing of games' resolution through emulation is supposed to be all that amazing? Emulators have been doing that for years and they don't have access to original game code. What is amazing though is the performance they are getting out of it.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to become more excited about the life that the console breathes into much older games than the improvements it adds to new titles, which is absolutely insane.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Ah yeah, your interpretation would make more sense.

So I guess for native 4k, they are doing 4x 720p, so maybe they're prioritising those games with an easy route to integer upscaling. Although I don't know if all the games so far were originally 720p.

Yeah the engine thing could make sense, if they're hooking into the rendering of the original engine and tweaking settings to increase the output resolution.

I dunno, the technical details of this are outside my understanding, but I find it pretty fascinating. The Xbox One X, despite being cutting edge gaming hardware, is also a fantastic retro gaming machine.

My tweet meant that the game inherently has to have some features in it that make this kind of upgrade possible. We do not touch game code. What we CAN do with the emulator is fool the game code into thinking the console has different capabilities, essentially. So games that were authored in 10-bit color for instance, it was the 360 GPU that did the final pass conversion to display 8-bit color, and we eliminate that pass. For textures, if the engine was changing the textures used based on GPU load, they can fool the system into allowing the X1X GPU to render higher quality textures further into the distance.

Also - the games are not HDR per-se. In order for TV's to display the 10-bit colors they need to be in HDR mode, hence why you see the HDR prompt on these games. The wider color palette, combined with the inherent brightness of HDR displays, sort of gives the impression of HDR but they are not.

Regardless, the emulation team are geniuses. Glad you're enjoying the games.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, this is unreal. How much effort do you think was required of them to optimize this for X? What is the likelihood a large number of BC games follow suit?

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Xbox one x is a beast. True power indeed. I want Alan Wake, Red Dead, Ninja Gaiden 2, Tekken Tag 2, Tales of Vesperia, Ninja Blade and Rage next.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Wouldn't be the first time he was incorrect on technical specifics, but here's Albert Penello saying they revisited original code to get these enhancements working for 360 games on Xbox One X
https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/922673607666384896
I dunno, for me he's saying they can't apply to all games, because it requires the original code to behave in a specific way, not that they needed to mess with the code to enable that.

Edit: Beaten xD

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Looks great, makes me want to start buying games digitally, but they are always so much more expensive than disc.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Their engineers should be very proud for getting to this level, and its all because the hardware designers have been sequentially forward thinking as opposed to Sony, who changed everything about their hardware and software programming basically every generation.

Atleast one good thing about unifying behind AMD architecture is that it'll be infinitely easier to supply PS4 BC for PS5, and they'll need it with MS's excellent efforts in this area.

Credit where credit is due, they are doing phenomenal work.

But I think you're putting too much weight in their forward planning.

If it was always their intention to have these games running on the One they would have at least mentioned it at launch if not had it implemented.

We'd be looking at different console sales right now if they had. While bc is not crazy important for sales overall it makes a big difference early in the gen.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
This is some serious amazing shit.

Their engineers should be very proud for getting to this level, and its all because the hardware designers have been sequentially forward thinking as opposed to Sony, who changed everything about their hardware and software programming basically every generation.
Actually the 360 ran on PowerPC architecture, meaning they did change a fundamental part of their hardware design before going back to x86, which only makes the whole BC thing even more praiseworthy.

Last edited: