• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question:

They know they can sell a lot more sets by adding more, right? And it can't cost all that much to do?

Why don't they?

What am I missing?

Samsung and LG develop their own I/O chipsets and controllers, which is why mid tier and higher TVs from those companies have had 4x HDMI 2.1 ports for years.

Sony, Panasonic, and others rely on off the shelf chips from MediaTek, who still can't seem to deliver a chip capable of driving 4x HDMI 2.1 ports.

At the end of the day, this still falls on Sony. They want to be a premium TV brand, yet still rely on MediaTek. They either need to start buying chips from Samsung or start engineering their own. MediaTek chips are fine on a $700 TCL or Panasonic set, yet here is Sony trying to sell a $4,000 next-gen MiniLED set with an antiquated MediaTek controller.

It's even worse when you realize that the eARC port takes up one of those HDMI 2.1 ports. That leaves you with just one HDMI 2.1 port on your new $3,000+ TV.

www.whathifi.com

Sorry, MediaTek, but two HDMI 2.1s in 2023 isn't good enough (for gamers)

Two HDMI 2.1 connections is so 2019

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I've been contemplating upgrading from what feels like an ancient TV for a few weeks, think I'm decided on doing it but I'm still a little unsure of what to go for.

I was initially mainly looking at an LG C3 but seeing so many posts about how good the G3 is made me look towards that instead. It is pushing the limits of what I can afford a bit (especially as I'll have to get a stand too) even with the price drop since the G4 release, but I have always had the mindset that if I'm spending a fair chunk on something and it costs a bit more to get something better that will likely stand the test of time better, the extra becomes that bit easier (and more sensible) to bear. That being said, a 55" G3 + stand is going to set me back about €1800 (probably need to call it €1900 as I'll need a new TV unit too as my current one isn't really holding up) so I am wavering a little bit on it.

If I'm ideally looking around the €1250-€1500 bracket for a 55", is there anything else that comes close that makes paying the extra €300-€500 too much, or is the G3 worth trying to push that extra bit to get to? (For what it's worth I already have a Sonos Beam so sound quality isn't a huge thing, although naturally I'd want Dolby Atmos since our current TV doesn't support it. Our room does tend to have a lot of light to deal with too so I know the extra brightness would help but anything will be a significant improvement on what we have.)

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
My 83 inch Sony A90J stays the best Sony OLED TV at that size for yet another year lol.
Which is just crazy. Really hoping next year we get QD-OLEDs in that size (or larger - really could use an 85" over my 83" A90J) with a new image processor, and yet another new generation of MediaTek chips.

Super happy though because after seeing this year's leak, I grabbed a 55" A80L to replace an old 42" 720p Sony at my parents' cabin in the north woods of Wisconsin. Gamble was that new model would not be notably improved, would be more expensive at launch, and wouldn't ship until let's say June, when I only get a few weeks up there each summer. In other words, it's best to make improvements early in the season, and not when it's half over to maximize enjoyment.

I think I nailed it. The cabin is super dark, so OLED brightness is less of a concern. Primary reason to replace the old Sony was HDMI-CEC control which would make canceling satellite up there easier for my parents, better sound, so that we can hear the news, etc. in other rooms, and larger screen, which is just needed, but will be beneficial when playing party games with my friends.

The real question is - can high bitrate 4K streaming survive our at best 20Mbps DSL connection up there, or will we be setting things to 1080p, haha.

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
I got a S90C and while it looks clearer/better than my C1, I don't see that big of a difference.

I struggled to find the sweet spot for motion but judder 3 is doing it.

Same experience for me. I spent forever toggling that judder slider but I think I'm finally happy with it at 3. Going higher had some nice benefits but was so inconsistent it was distracting. Blur at a similar level and turned off noise reduction. I also decreased color and sharpness a bit

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to get Sony's top FALD TV this year for my main living space. It's multi-use and the kids will be playing games, so I was going to steer away from OLED. I'm super disappointed that they aren't making Bravia 9 in a 55" size, as I can't accommodate a 65 there. It's in a corner.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Looking for something in the 50inch territory for my kitchen and guest room. No gaming needed. Maybe mid range price or slightly lower?

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
I was planning to get Sony's top FALD TV this year for my main living space. It's multi-use and the kids will be playing games, so I was going to steer away from OLED. I'm super disappointed that they aren't making Bravia 9 in a 55" size, as I can't accommodate a 65 there. It's in a corner.
Just wanted to add that the Bravia 9 is Sony's flagship this year, so they are betting on it beyond OLED which is interesting.

Samsung and LG develop their own I/O chipsets and controllers, which is why mid tier and higher TVs from those companies have had 4x HDMI 2.1 ports for years.

Sony, Panasonic, and others rely on off the shelf chips from MediaTek, who still can't seem to deliver a chip capable of driving 4x HDMI 2.1 ports.

At the end of the day, this still falls on Sony. They want to be a premium TV brand, yet still rely on MediaTek. They either need to start buying chips from Samsung or start engineering their own. MediaTek chips are fine on a $700 TCL or Panasonic set, yet here is Sony trying to sell a $4,000 next-gen MiniLED set with an antiquated MediaTek controller.

It's even worse when you realize that the eARC port takes up one of those HDMI 2.1 ports. That leaves you with just one HDMI 2.1 port on your new $3,000+ TV.

www.whathifi.com

Sorry, MediaTek, but two HDMI 2.1s in 2023 isn't good enough (for gamers)

Two HDMI 2.1 connections is so 2019
This is embarrassing. I can't believe they haven't sorted this yet. I recently got a 65 inch G2, but my aspirational TV has always been Sony or Panasonic flagship. But this MediaTek stuff is ridiculous. It was a limitation 4 years ago when I first went down the TV tech rabbit hole. How the hell have they still not sorted it?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
This is embarrassing. I can't believe they haven't sorted this yet. I recently got a 65 inch G2, but my aspirational TV has always been Sony or Panasonic flagship. But this MediaTek stuff is ridiculous. It was a limitation 4 years ago when I first went down the TV tech rabbit hole. How the hell have they still not sorted it?

Meanwhile, Sony has enough fans that will challenge you if this is mentioned. They are too blind to see any use case for more than 2 ports, which is likely something they would fuss about if Samsung or LG did this.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Meanwhile, Sony has enough fans that will challenge you if this is mentioned. They are too blind to see any use case for more than 2 ports, which is likely something they would fuss about if Samsung or LG did this.
I am a Sony fan and own the Sony A90J and have no problems at all because I bought an HDMI 2.1 AV receiver. I still think that it is laughable that they have not sorted this out by now.

I'm also a bit surprised that the XR processing, while amazing as-is, has not seen a major upgrade to XR2 or similar in years.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

I'm an LG owner, but this has always seemed like a non-issue to me. You can buy a 4-port HDMI 2.1 switch on Amazon for $40.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm hyped! The 77" S95D I ordered last week was supposed to be delivered in May sometime, but I just got a call scheduling delivery for Monday.

This weekend is going to take forever.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I am a Sony fan and own the Sony A90J and have no problems at all because I bought an HDMI 2.1 AV receiver. I still think that it is laughable that they have not sorted this out by now.

I'm also a bit surprised that the XR processing, while amazing as-is, has not seen a major upgrade to XR2 or similar in years.

I have no problem with the people who simply don't need more than 2. I do have a problem with the people who tell me that I don't need more than 2.

I'm an LG owner, but this has always seemed like a non-issue to me. You can buy a 4-port HDMI 2.1 switch on Amazon for $40.

I want the flexibility to customize the TV presets for each input. Your solution is fine to a degree, but you need to double or quadruple up the presets applied to whatever is on the switch input.

It's also one more piece. I have a switch on my LG for a different reason and it plays all kinds of hell with my eARC.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
So, any thoughts between 66 in A80L vs the new Bravia 8 OLED in a similar size? The LG g3 is technically with the same price territory as the Bravia 8. Is that the best best here? Use will be typical mix of gaming and watching streams/4k blu-rays. Don't need more than 2 HDMI 2.1 ports. My GF's apt. has an A80k we have been using for nearly 2 years and it doesnt seem like burn-in is an issue for my use case. I play good amount of games and have not had any issues.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I always thought the issue of Sony's lack of full fat HDMI inputs was overblown. Until I bought another LG and realised how convenient it is having 4. As mentioned above, the main issue for me is I need independent picture settings for different devices.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
So, any thoughts between 66 in A80L vs the new Bravia 8 OLED in a similar size? The LG g3 is technically with the same price territory as the Bravia 8. Is that the best best here? Use will be typical mix of gaming and watching streams/4k blu-rays. Don't need more than 2 HDMI 2.1 ports. My GF's apt. has an A80k we have been using for nearly 2 years and it doesnt seem like burn-in is an issue for my use case. I play good amount of games and have not had any issues.
Biggest considerations are:
1. price - you can get the A80L discounted right now whereas the 2024 models will be at MSRP
2. availability - can you wait a few months for general availability?
3. Potentially better brightness through the new contrast XR software optimization or whatever they're calling it
4. An additional year, potentially, of software updates, since it's a year newer model.

That's really it. At least from what we know so far.

For the last point, I'm also slightly skeptical Sony will do more than they're required to under EU law, since this is likely the last year they're going to be releasing models with the ancient MediaTek and image processor. Or at least one would hope outside of discount TVs, at least.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
We just got our new entertainment center and new LG C3 setup. What a dramatic improvement over our old LED LG. The audio alone is stunning.

Used RTINGS' picture settings as a baseline. Would gladly take any tips people have for getting the most out of this TV.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
We just got our new entertainment center and new LG C3 setup. What a dramatic improvement over our old LED LG. The audio alone is stunning.

Used RTINGS' picture settings as a baseline. Would gladly take any tips people have for getting the most out of this TV.
I wouldn't use RTINGS's settings. P40L0 's settings in the LG thread here will be far more accurate. You shouldn't be touching the WB settings really.

lion9t

Unshakable Resolve
Aug 4, 2021
Well.. that it for only 3 years old TV..
My year and half kid broke the screen 😔..

TCL C825 mini LED .. how approximate price to replace the screen ??

IMG-20240418-000512.jpg

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Well.. that it for only 3 years old TV..
My year and half kid broke the screen 😔..

TCL C825 mini LED .. how approximate price to replace the screen ??

IMG-20240418-000512.jpg

If it's a 3 year old TV? Probably cheaper to buy someone else's used one.

On a related note I damaged my main camera lens - Sony quoted be £720 to repair it. £900 to buy new.

Bought a used one for £540

Last edited:

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just ordered an S89C to replace my LG B1 55 inch. How much of an upgrade can I expect to see?

The size upgrade alone will be massive, I went from a 55" C1 to the S89C this month and I still can't get over how big the damn thing is at 77". The C1 feels tiny now 😆 But yeah, brightness for highlights and colors and color volume will be a significant upgrade. I haven't seen any content dim the TV down because of bright highlights that the TV can't handle, which happens all the time on the C1. I also really like game motion plus for games that are stuck at a stable 30fps, makes them feel much smoother and not look so juddery like on other OLEDs.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fairly significant - HDR highlights on the S89C are much brighter than on the B1. Color reproduction and volume are also much better.

The size upgrade alone will be massive, I went from a 55" C1 to the S89C this month and I still can't get over how big the damn thing is at 77". The C1 feels tiny now 😆 But yeah, brightness for highlights and colors and color volume will be a significant upgrade. I haven't seen any content dim the TV down because of bright highlights that the TV can't handle, which happens all the time on the C1. I also really like game motion plus for games that are stuck at a stable 30fps, makes them feel much smoother and not look so juddery like on other OLEDs.

In just got that TV 2 weeks ago. It's insane

Thanks for the info guys! I wasn't so sure about it, but it was randomly suggested to me over the C3, since I would have to save for another month for the C3 but could afford the S89C now. I had never heard of it, but everything about it sounded too good to be true.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Thanks for the info guys! I wasn't so sure about it, but it was randomly suggested to me over the C3, since I would have to save for another month for the C3 but could afford the S89C now. I had never heard of it, but everything about it sounded too good to be true.

It's the s90c in a 77"

I'm still playing ratchet and clank on it, for a second time. I can't get over how good it looks.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a C4 as a monitor? I bought the Samsung 49 inch G9 but it feels very narrow vertically.

lion9t

Unshakable Resolve
Aug 4, 2021
If it's a 3 year old TV? Probably cheaper to buy someone else's used one.

On a related note I damaged my main camera lens - Sony quoted be £720 to repair it. £900 to buy new.

Bought a used one for £540
I figured .. I'm thinking to buy cheap TV for the living room .. and OLED for my gaming

You have an OLED fan in the family.
yah .. but I will be damned if I put OLED in the living room

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Humm I wonder how much better the 7 series is then the X93L. Price wise they are not much different and I'm not seeing any significant price cuts on the X93L so far. He'll it's still more expensive then last years Black Friday price.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered a 55" Samsung S90C yesterday - excited to see what games and shows look like on it when it gets here next week!

I'll be upgrading from a 43" Sony X800D which was midrange when it came out, so I'm sure the jump will be huge.

I was initially hesitant to get a Samsung TV due to the lack of Dolby Vision, but the price I got it at was pretty crazy (£800, and possibly as low as £640 if the cashback which has tracked is actually paid out). I couldn't say no at that price.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I ordered a 55" Samsung S90C yesterday - excited to see what games and shows look like on it when it gets here next week!

I'll be upgrading from a 43" Sony X800D which was midrange when it came out, so I'm sure the jump will be huge.

I was initially hesitant to get a Samsung TV due to the lack of Dolby Vision, but the proce I got it at was pretty crazy (£800, and possibly as low as £640 if the cashback which has tracked is actually paid out). I couldn't say no at that price.

That's going to be a huge upgrade! You're going to feel like you're in the next console gen. Not to mention the impact from the size difference.

I wouldn't worry too much about Dolby Vision. The better the TV, the less noticeable the improvements it can bring are. The s90C is a very good TV so you'll be fine. I've been using LG OLEDs since the C7, but my s95D is getting delivered tomorrow. I was a bit nervous about losing DV at first, but I'm extremely confident it will not be an issue.

Also, If you're comfortable with it, check out the AVS Forums owners thread. There's a service menu tweak you can do to get the brightness of the s95c.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
That's going to be a huge upgrade! You're going to feel like you're in the next console gen. Not to mention the impact from the size difference.

I wouldn't worry too much about Dolby Vision. The better the TV, the less noticeable the improvements it can bring are. The s90C is a very good TV so you'll be fine. I've been using LG OLEDs since the C7, but my s95D is getting delivered tomorrow. I was a bit nervous about losing DV at first, but I'm extremely confident it will not be an issue.

Also, If you're comfortable with it, check out the AVS Forums owners thread. There's a service menu tweak you can do to get the brightness of the s95c.
Absolutely, I've been watching reviews non-stop for the past couple of days so I'm just excited to see it in action now.

Thanks for the info about DV too, that's reassuring that it's not a big issue. The only other potential drawback I could see is some reviews mentioned "low quality content" didn't look great on the S90C, but didn't really specify what that was. It don't tend to watch much SD content so hopefully it's limited to that. As long as Netflix/Prime/Apple TV/YouTube look good enough I'll be happy!

Everything else about the TV sounds amazing, especially for gaming (excited to test VRR and 120hz!) so I can't wait to try it out.

I'll look into that about the service menu too, thanks for the tip! Do you know if that potentially voids the warranty at all? I think I remember reading some companies track whether the service menu has been accessed, not sure if Samsung is one of those companies.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, I've been watching reviews non-stop for the past couple of days so I'm just excited to see it in action now.

Thanks for the info about DV too, that's reassuring that it's not a big issue. The only other potential drawback I could see is some reviews mentioned "low quality content" didn't look great on the S90C, but didn't really specify what that was. It don't tend to watch much SD content so hopefully it's limited to that. As long as Netflix/Prime/Apple TV/YouTube look good enough I'll be happy!

Everything else about the TV sounds amazing, especially for gaming (excited to test VRR and 120hz!) so I can't wait to try it out.

I'll look into that about the service menu too, thanks for the tip! Do you know if that potentially voids the warranty at all? I think I remember reading some companies track whether the service menu has been accessed, not sure if Samsung is one of those companies.

Technically anytime you enter the service menu it voids your warranty, that's for all manufacturers. Whether they check that or not is another matter. I haven't heard of anyone running into that issue on their LG, and I haven't been keeping up with Samsung long enough to have a feel for it either.

Yeah, low quality content is typically just SD stuff. I don't think I've watched something SD in almost two decades lol It's not something I personally even think about when buying. Anything 720p and up will look great (Well, as great as 1080 can get) on modern displays.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Technically anytime you enter the service menu it voids your warranty, that's for all manufacturers. Whether they check that or not is another matter. I haven't heard of anyone running into that issue on their LG, and I haven't been keeping up with Samsung long enough to have a feel for it either.

Yeah, low quality content is typically just SD stuff. I don't think I've watched something SD in almost two decades lol It's not something I personally even think about when buying. Anything 720p and up will look great (Well, as great as 1080 can get) on modern displays.
Thanks for this, that's really helpful! I haven't watched SD content in a long time myself and doubt I will be any time soon.

Excited to try out the TV when it gets here! Crossing my fingers for a Gen 2 panel - hopefully by waiting until now to order I've increased the chance of getting the newer panel.