• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've watched first season of Cardinal:

Great little show, Canadian noir that matches up to whatever nordic tv is making. Beautifully shot, with cool plot that focuses mostly on personalities of two detectives and it's great to see Billy Campbell finally get a more serious role on TV and own the living hell out of it.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
New trailer for the Jack Ryan Amazon series:

The trailer makes it seem like it's a series about Jack Ryan Junior instead of Jack Ryan proper :D. In that he's both analyst and field operative. Which isn't faithful to old Jack Ryan, but should make for a better show.
Anyway, I'm in. There's definitve drought of good spy thrillers on TV these days, which is pretty weird considering how much the genre has exploded in novels in last 10-15 years.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Altered Carbon is pretty good. The acting/writing is rough at times but it's got insane production/visual design and it's fun. I'm enjoying it.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I thought Blackish was really funny last night with Dre being upset at Bow staying home. Charlie continues to kill every scene he is in.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017

One of my favorite characters in tv is back tonight. Can't wait to see the man Jack McCoy back on law and order.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Almost halfway through Babylon Berlin and this show is fucking legit. I really hope some American critics start reviewing it because goddamn it's good. The plotting is truly labyrinthine. The acting is strong. The characters are layered and painfully human. The music is incredible. The cinematography is lush. This thing is like a period version of The Wire in that it's almost impossibly complex yet full of character and life.

Please, someone watch this show. I might have to make an OT so help me.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Almost halfway through Babylon Berlin and this show is fucking legit. I really hope some American critics start reviewing it because goddamn it's good. The plotting is truly labyrinthine. The acting is strong. The characters are layered and painfully human. The music is incredible. The cinematography is lush. This thing is like a period version of The Wire in that it's almost impossibly complex yet full of character and life.

I'll definitely give it a shot tonight!

Oct 28, 2017

I've been bouncing around looking for a new Netflix show to watch. I'll try this one.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

I will try to watch it sometime soon.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I finished watching The Punisher this month on Netflix, I enjoyed it but definitely felt it could have used a shorter season. Covered some of the same material as his arc from Daredevil Season 2, just went deeper. Jon Bernthal remains great, has the perfect gruff voice for the role. Micro grew on me by the end of the season.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I've watched first season of Cardinal:

Great little show, Canadian noir that matches up to whatever nordic tv is making. Beautifully shot, with cool plot that focuses mostly on personalities of two detectives and it's great to see Billy Campbell finally get a more serious role on TV and own the living hell out of it.

Good choice. I actually made a thread about the show several days ago, while catching up on season 2. Both seasons were really good. The show's production values are high, the acting is really good and so is the writing. I recommend continuing on, and can't wait for S3.

I just watched the S2 finale an hour and a half ago.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
FX has started airing promos for The Americans final season. I've seen the teaser:

But I haven't seen the full trailer that's apparently aired? Anyone caught it yet? FX, in their infinite wisdom, haven't uploaded it yet.

Also, I finally watched the Counterpart pilot last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Does it keep on the quality/momentum in the next few episodes?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch those previews, but when is The Americans back? Maybe I can catch up on all the seasons before it returns.

I would like to finish Stranger Things S2, Game of Thrones S3 and maybe get started on The Expanse this month.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Almost done with runaways. Not the best thing I watched on Hulu but it has been entertaining.

Caught up on the good place and I actually like what they have done.

Grownish got super serious from the first few episodes but I am still enjoying it.

Black lightning has potential to be one of the best superhero shows this year

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't mind the first episode of HBO's 'Here and Now'. I even sort of enjoyed it? Like, it's definitely a bit much (Tim Robbins crying in the shower while pouring out his wife's $20 bottle of shampoo because ~ ennui ~ being the high (low?) point) but it also gave off some Six Feet Under vibes. The youngest daughter in particular felt like a 2018 version of Claire.

I honestly don't get the whole "I hated every single character immediately from their very first scenes and never stopped hating them" thing that so many critics are on about. The characters are self absorbed, yes, but no more so than any other character that you'd find on any other show set within this milieu (Transparent, Better Things, Togetherness, etc. etc). There's also a strange John from Cincinnati sorta vibe that's kinda got me intrigued about where this is all headed.

Anyone else watch?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I watched. Thought it was a disaster. Haven't finished yet but have no idea what the point is. Have about 15 minutes left, not sure if I'm going to continue. If I do, doubt I'll watch episode 2.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

Watch? No.

Hate-watch? Yes. It's already a strong contender for my fail of the year 2018. It just feels like a show that's been done a thousand times already that I was already tired of. Six Feet Under had a few bad seasons and this pilot felt like the set up for an significantly weaker version of it. I mean, instead of getting to see a death every week we get some dumbass seeing 11:11 everywhere. How is that a hook for a show?

HBO should have just put the budget for this in a barrel and lit it on fire.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt I'll watch unless there's a huge swing in the impressions people provide by the end of the season. There's just too much on and in my backlog to spend time on it.

I almost didn't watch it for that same reason, but I had an extra hour last night.

I watched. Thought it was a disaster. Haven't finished yet but have no idea what the point is.

?

The point is that it's a drama involving a family...

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess? What's the drama? They're sad? Too many first-world problems? They're all pretty unlikable. What was the hook? What made those people compelling? Why do I care about their plight?
Not sure how many people still watch it, but American Dad comes back tonight on TBS for season 13.
I not only watch it, I can't wait. It's not quite the show it was at peak, but it's still solid and dependable.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I guess? What's the drama? They're sad? Too many first-world problems? They're all pretty unlikable. What was the hook? What made those people compelling? Why do I care about their plight?

Right, but like, you could say the same thing about virtually any family drama after one episode.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished up The End of the F***ing World on Netflix and thought it was great. I actually watched an episode last week and wasn't exactly sold, but watched the rest over the past couple days. I rarely binge shows, so it definitely hooked me in a hurry once I jumped back in (especially from Episode 3 on). A quality dark comedy. It goes some really unexpected places by the end. I was really impressed with the character growth shown over the course of such a short series. And at just eight 20-minute episodes, it is a pretty quick watch too for those pressed for time/too much other stuff to watch.

With football over and a few of my shows taking a break because of the Olympics, I also decided to start up some long-term watches of a couple of "classics" so-to-speak. Things I can chip away at when I don't have anything new. So, I started up both Mad Men and The Sopranos. Mad Men's setting/time period isn't really my thing, so I never dove in before. But I have certainly found shows I loved that didn't seem like my thing at first glance, so I'm hoping that is the case here. I've always wanted to watch The Sopranos, but never just never have. I didn't have HBO back when it first aired (and didn't really watch TV like I do now back then either, so may not have watched it anyway). Only watched a couple episodes of each so far, but looking forward to checking out more of both. (Not sure this last paragraph fits this thread, but I wanted to mention it to TV-Era somewhere and this seems like as good a place as any.)

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
You haven't seen Mad Men?!

lzYvIEJ.png

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Mad Men despite all the praise and the rewards never stopped being a show with a small audience. It didn't explode into becoming a huge hit like Breaking Bad.

It's on my list of things to watch as well. ;)

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hook was in Tim Robbins' speech at his birthday party populated by Portland liberals, intellectuals and activists: "we lost."

I thought that was the premise of the show-- what happens when dedicated lefties realize the world is irredeemably lost (or at least seemingly so) and that their work was in vain?

That said, I thought the show was sort of messy but that's OK. Both Six Feet Under and True Blood were big, sprawling tales. I'm ok letting this one take its time to find its shape.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Finished the Crown Season 2. I didn't think it was quite as great as season 1. The main reason being that this season felt more like a bunch of individual episodes focused on events as opposed to having any sort of season long narrative. Having said that, I still thought it was really good. The performances, writing and filmmaking are all solid.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Uh so Sundance Now's (I know, I know. Another streaming service) first self commissioned series is getting pretty good reviews.
Vulture: This Close Is a Subtle, Groundbreaking Gem
This is often true in the real world, as well as in films and TV shows that go so far overboard to "celebrate our differences" that they neglect to let the personalities of characters with disabilities shine through. Television has been getting better about this, as series like Speechless and Atypical have proven. This Close is another step in the right direction.

In the second episode of This Close, Kate is asked to be a last-minute, substitute speaker on a panel about how people with disabilities are treated in Hollywood. She's the only publicity assistant in a group of actors, and she eventually gets so frustrated by the confining nature of the discussion that she can't take it anymore. "You focus on our disability," she tells the moderator, played by Nicole Bilderback of Bring It On and Clueless fame, "but not who we are."

To its great credit, This Close focuses on both equally. It's a terrific, quietly groundbreaking series because of that.
NYT: Review: 'This Close,' a Serious Comedy About Life and Deafness
it's funny and poignant in ways we haven't seen before, and more deftly directed and impressively cast than you'd expect for an original series on a small streaming service. It's also, at six episodes totaling about 150 minutes, an easy binge.
THR: 'This Close': TV Review | Sundance 2018
This Close is a little funny, a little sweet, unexpectedly insightful and a worthy reminder that Stern was great on Weeds and very good on Jericho and probably would have been a star long ago if Hollywood were more creative when it comes to utilizing deaf actors.
Uproxx (Sepinwall): Deaf Friends Find Happiness 'This Close' In An Appealing Sundance Now Series
The season is smartly compact — six episodes, each well under a half-hour, focusing on a small group of characters and clearly made on a modest budget — though it still runs out of steam a bit towards the end.
But both Stern and the less-seasoned Feldman are appealing performers who've written themselves characters they know and can play well, in both their righteous moments and their deeply flawed ones. And even when the story sags here and there, This Close is a reminder of the creative value of more inclusive storytelling
And I just caught the trailer:

This looks just up my alley!? Why was I unaware that this existed (I know it's in the OP, shush), and who do I have to cause grievous bodily harm on in order for it to get released in Sweden?

And a casual reminder that Sundance Now is home to Le Bureau des Légendes, which was my top TV pick of last year

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Half seasons on streaming shows always throws me off, but I guess if it helps production and also gets a set amount of episodes out faster to its audience, it's fine.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Uh so Sundance Now's (I know, I know. Another streaming service) first self commissioned series is getting pretty good reviews.

Nice! Will watch.

Half seasons on streaming shows always throws me off, but I guess if it helps production and also gets a set amount of episodes out faster to its audience, it's fine.

I think it's also an attempt to get people talking about their shows for a longer period of time - better to have people talking about Kimmy Schmidt twice a year instead of just once!

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Will watch.

I think it's also an attempt to get people talking about their shows for a longer period of time - better to have people talking about Kimmy Schmidt twice a year instead of just once!

That's very true! Better to have the two headlines instead of a day or two of press up front and then nothing until the next season's renewal or trailer.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm, not sold on the trailer but I like David Farr. The first review of it is pretty positive as well:
This is a strong beginning for a promising show. The actors are all charismatic and put in good performances, and the production values are high. The central story has been engaging people through many different forms of art for millennia, so there are no problems there, though we do appear to be getting through the story at a fairly high speed. So far, this is a surprisingly faithful adaptation of the traditional plot from Greek mythology, though whether the series diverts more from its source material in future weeks remains to be seen. One to watch.

So it might be on par with Vikings/The Last Kingdom.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Only two episodes in but I can already say Channel Zero: Butcher's Block is the goods. I wasn't a particular fan of the previous seasons, I thought Candle Cove was just fine and I bounced hard off No-End House after its stellar first episode(seriously, that first episode is a wonderful dramatic piece all on its own), but Butcher's Block is right up my alley. It is strange and kind of beautiful, the show makes great use of close ups and an all-around focus on the human face to great effect, and with a perfect cast, Olivia Luccardi, Holland Roden, and Rutger Hauer are the big ones but everyone in the cast is doing great work.

So, yeah, highly recommended.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Karate Kid's Johnny Lawrence and Daniel LaRusso aren't the same people they were in high school— but their rivalry hasn't changed one bit. The Karate Kid saga continues.

Check out the first-ever released footage of Cobra Kai, the new YouTube Red Original Series, coming soon.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

YT Red IMO is really bad at marketing and the reason for this is, the trailers are uploaded on YouTubers channels. The only time I find out about YT Red shows is when I go to Originals on the YouTube app and there's a new show in New Releases category. And that show I'm Poppy doesn't even appear in that category. (Only found out about that one because Variety posted an article about it)

They should have a dedicated YouTube channel for Red promotional videos (clips, trailers, etc) IMO.