• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I have never had much of an interest in esports or overwatch itself, but I hope this thing really succeeds. People are finally putting their money where their mouth is to get something a lot of people are passionate about to the next level. It would be very cool to see this lead to more growth in the field.

gambra

Oct 27, 2017
There must have been someone else that made a play for the rights if the price is that high. Youtube bought the exclusive rights to both ESL Pro League and ECS for CSGO last year so I'd say they definitely made a play for Overwatch.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like $90 million too many, I don't think the Overwatch League worth that much let alone for only 2 years.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
There must have been someone else that made a play for the rights if the price is that high. Youtube bought the exclusive rights to both ESL Pro League and ECS for CSGO last year so I'd say they definitely made a play for Overwatch.

Thinking about it more, this might be more as an international strategic move where twitch has less marketshare.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I think the League itself is a hell of an idea and I hope it succeeds. I'll certainly be tuning in.

Go Gladiators.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Overwatch is not bland to play, viewing,...depends.

When viewing form a single perspective Overwatch is very watchable.

However in tournament settings constantly switching viewpoints its sometimes to hard to take in and everything becomes a blur of colors and confusion.

I have to think I'm not the only one who experiences this.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of OW when it comes to viewing. I enjoy playing the game, but I don't bother watching for the most part.

I enjoy watching CSGO because of the clutch plays and the economy factor.

I enjoy watching HS because of the RNG.

OW on the other hand is difficult for viewing at times. Too many particle effects and it can be hard to keep track of everything.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in these bizarre American style leagues, the drip of corporate greed.

Street Fighter tournaments, open to anyone, run by the fans where everyone mixes, that's what I live and breath.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the return in investment for twitch on this one

Like hell where else would overwatch be streamed ? YouTube ? Nahh

Watching overwatch gives me slight motion sickness honestly

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Do Amazon ever release twitch financials ? I'd be curious if it's a YouTube situation where they're barely breaking even or just in the red.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon cares about Prime. This gets more people to adopt it once they add some exclusives behind Prime viewership. More users. That is Amazons main goal.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of OW when it comes to viewing. I enjoy playing the game, but I don't bother watching for the most part.

I enjoy watching CSGO because of the clutch plays and the economy factor.

I enjoy watching HS because of the RNG.

OW on the other hand is difficult for viewing at times. Too many particle effects and it can be hard to keep track of everything.

Guessing you really don't watch much OW as you say. Heh. They addressed a lot of that with World Cup. Much easier to watch with their changes. Not perfect but leagues better.

I don't see the return in investment for twitch on this one

Like hell where else would overwatch be streamed ? YouTube ? Nahh

Watching overwatch gives me slight motion sickness honestly

Everyone keeps saying this. You guys realize that streaming platforms pay licensing fees to publishers for their content? LCS and CWL are all charging streaming sites for their content. It's not just free and these companies just don't click a check box for Twitch or YT for free.

MajinArekkusu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So wait a minute. Blizzard got 90 million for the rights, then every team HAD to pay them 20 million for joining the league and on top of that Blizz demands that next year they all build a small arena in their home cities.

Add to that the overpriced recolor skins and boy oh boy do they swim in money without even putting out maps or characters.