• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Now that i think about it. If we really want to go all the way on "protect the children", most of twitch would need to be age gated. Because the line is not 18+ content. But probably anything that gets a teens rating and up.

Twitch, like many social apps, don't have a commitment to individuals age 12 or younger because they do not permit said individuals access to their service as a result of COPPA.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Name on body? Squats? Name on forehead?
I think I'm very behind this Twitch culture stuff, what does any of this mean?
Since no one actually answered you - it's just literal haha. If you pay her that much money, she will literally write your name (or your Twitch handle, I guess?) on her body. Or she'll follow you back on Twitter for $250 (..wow). Or if you give 200 subs (which is.. $1000?), she'll write your name on her forehead. Squats is just squats - in that outfit (for the camera, of course). Nothing here is "Twitch culture" per se (except that there exists a hot tub meta at all).

While there's nothing wrong with it, I'm surprised people are so shocked that others might find it excessive on Twitch. You can be body/sex-positive and still have reasonable limits. Let's talk about the limits, rather than skipping to "Haha, you're a prude" lol

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sexually suggestive content is prohibited according to Twitch's Community Guidelines.

That being said, the guidelines are not consistently enforced.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
really?

This is her stream right now
imIZ6Um.png
What is wrong with this, exactly?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. Seems like slapping an 18 or older age restriction on the channel would do the trick, or warning her of violating TOS, rather than taking away her income completely then.

I've never actually watched a streamer on twitch before. Didn't realize stuff like this was happening (I may be an old fart).
18+....

Because of a... bikini?

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
Literally did, which is the exact reason I replied to you.

They said it looks tamer than Baywatch, and you said "really?".

Since you seem to want an argument, here's an image of Baywatch (the original because no one has even watched it post-Hasselhoff)
baywatch-babes-801046.jpg

Personally I do not believe the screenshot from Amouranth's stream, let alone the promised squats in lingerie qualify as "tamer" than that. The most risque thing on Baywatch was some slow motion running.
youtu.be

Baywatch Remastered | Opening titles in HD

Newly remastered HD opening titles of the iconic series Baywatch.The newly remastered version of the iconic long-running hit TV series, Baywatch, now availab...

edit - to reiterate my position, I have no problem with people streaming while showing some flesh to make money, more power to them if that's how they want to earn an income. I have no problem with Twitch allowing it or disallowing it, it's their platform they can do what they like. If you read my posts you'll see I'm trying to give some factual basis for this stuff rather than just "booby streamer bad" or accusations of misogyny.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In-between playing games where you snipe brown people or slice humans in half and have their innards spill out, a lot of gamers suddenly become puritan when it comes to women and/or sexuality.

I mean, I get this line of thinking, but the fact is the issue of women being objectified and sexualized is seen as more "okay" than killing ever is by the public. I'd argue more women are face harassment on a regular basis than people get killed.

....I also really don't think these topics needs to "compete" for what's worse. It's stupid and mean.

There is good about women being able to make bank on this. Their body, their choice. Despite claims of puritanism, it's also probably not content you want to be walking in someone watching. Like it or not, no matter how we talk about puratinism, there is obviously some sense that this isn't really easy public viewing and it's for a reason.

Twitch did shaft her on ad revenue. I do hate that. And it's a shame between Twitch and Youtube a lot of popular content creators aren't even safe but frequently fucked over.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Either way, Twitch needs to be more clear (and consistent) about how it handles content that is or veers into (admittedly "softcore"/non-explicit) sex work. Content where the streamer (and their body) themselves are the focus would fall into that category.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Since you seem to want an argument, here's an image of Baywatch (the original because no one has even watched it post-Hasselhoff)
baywatch-babes-801046.jpg

Personally I do not believe the screenshot from Amouranth's stream, let alone the promised squats in lingerie qualify as "tamer" than that. The most risque thing on Baywatch was some slow motion running.
youtu.be

Baywatch Remastered | Opening titles in HD

Newly remastered HD opening titles of the iconic series Baywatch.The newly remastered version of the iconic long-running hit TV series, Baywatch, now availab...

You are the one being needlessly confrontational here, don't be a hypocrite please.

If you spent a little longer on Google, you'd see plenty of two piece bikinis in Baywatch. The picture you showed of her stream is no more risque.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get this line of thinking, but the fact is the issue of women being objectified and sexualized is seen as more "okay" than killing ever is by the public. I'd argue more women are face harassment on a regular basis than people get killed.

....I also really don't think these topics needs to "compete" for what's worse. It's stupid and mean.

There is good about women being able to make bank on this. Their body, their choice. Despite claims of puritanism, it's also probably not content you want to be walking in someone watching. Like it or not, no matter how we talk about puratinism, there is obviously some sense that this isn't really easy public viewing and it's for a reason.

Twitch did shaft her on ad revenue. I do hate that. And it's a shame between Twitch and Youtube a lot of popular content creators aren't even safe but frequently fucked over.

Then don't watch it? If the problem is that you want to watch this content, you just don't want someone to walk in on you watching it, that sounds like shit you need to work out and not the problem of any content creators or anyone else.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
iirc she has a history of TOS violations and not getting punished for them while other smaller streamers make much smaller mistakes and get shut down immediately, and last i knew other popular hot tub streamers weren't losing ad money. that being said i dont think what she's doing is wrong in this instance and Twitch really needs to give a heads up about shutting down revenue for channels and explain why they've done that. also would love for twitch to have a mature section (i know you can mark your stream as mature but that doesn't seem to matter or help much currently) that caters to more mature and adult brand advertising. twitch being "you cant be sexy" meanwhile throwing up ads for condoms. it's bullshit.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell are we talking about Baywatch?

Whether or not her stream is more graphic than Baywatch isn't the issue. The issue is that Twitch allowed her and other creators to stream this content while they benefited from the ad revenue. Now they are withholding money from this particular creator while still allowing hot tub streams to continue on the platform. If Twitch didn't want this content, they needed to enforce their policies earlier and explain to everyone why it can't continue in the future. Not target a specific individual without meaningful explanation.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Then don't watch it? If the problem is that you want to watch this content, you just don't want someone to walk in on you watching it, that sounds like shit you need to work out and not the problem of any content creators or anyone else.

Really dude?? Then stop watching the games where people get gutted and sliced. 🙄 Thanks for discussing?

Either way, Twitch needs to be more clear about how it handles content that is or veers into (admittedly "softcore"/non-explicit) sex work. Content where the streamer (and their body) themselves are the focus would fall into that category.

Whether or not her stream is more graphic than Baywatch isn't the issue. The issue is that Twitch allowed her and other creators to stream this content while they benefited from the ad revenue. Now they are withholding money from this particular creator while still allowing hot tub streams to continue on the platform. If Twitch didn't want this content, they needed to enforce their policies earlier and explain to everyone why it can't continue in the future. Not target a specific individual without meaningful explanation.

It's these. How this wasn't done almost immediately and we just got Twitch sitting their hands under their bum and waiting is bizarre. I guess they don't wanna make that full commitment to being "a place with 19+ area" when their general audiences approach is more appealing. :/

But it's stupid. Twitch dangles a carrot and since there are so few other venues that do what they do as well as they do, people are forced to play ball. It's garbage and Twitch is being silly and annoying.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

There's a difference between companies exploiting and objectifying others, and people using their own bodies under their own agency.

There is nothing wrong, imo, with what this person is wearing on stream and I think society's hang ups about sexualisation are harmful. We need more sex positivity and education, not more control of others sexuality.

I do not think there is a good reason why this content is taboo, personally. I think this is part of the hypocrisy of our society when it comes to sexualisation.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Guidelines should be clearer and consistent.
She should have been notified, but they were probably within their right. They are providing a platform and bandwidth.

Maybe streamers can opt out of ads if they want more risqué content if they want to thrive off donations?

Saw her profile is heavily advertising her OF, which first thing is selling bj videos etc. Not sure how other streamers handle this or if twitch is comfortable with soliciting that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Someone used that show to rightly contextualise this to another person. It was a valid point to make.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Really dude?? Then stop watching the games where people get gutted and sliced. 🙄 Thanks for discussing?

I don't have a problem with games where people get gutted and sliced, just like I don't have a problem with women in bikinis if that's what they are choosing to do. I think it's fair to point out the hypocrisy that many people seem to draw a line on "woman in a bikini" on a platform that at the same time routinely hosts incredibly violent content for anyone (including minors) to see.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
There's functionally no difference uneles you have some weird puritan take, honestly.

As a former (7 years' worth of experience) lifeguard: there is.

Bathing attire has several layers and a lining in between. That's why it's not typically see-through when wet.

Lingerie and regular underwear aren't like that. In our water park, part of our job was checking this, it was a sanitary norm that people don't enter the pools or go down slides without proper bathing attire.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a differenf between companies exploiting and objectifying others, and people using their own bodies under their own agency.

There is nothing wrong, imo, with what this person is wearing on stream and I think societies hang ups about sexualisation are harmful. We need more sex positivity and education, not more control of others sexuality.

OBVIOUSLY. There is definite tension when feminists discuss this type of topic exactly because it sits between these aspects opposing ideas. On one hand, women deserve total freedom and a chance to be equal with their male partners or using what works for them -- again, their body and their choice. The problem is women are NOT considered equal even when we "use sex" to get up there. Women are still constantly objectified (gaming and media especially) and using her body to sell. It works and has clearly worked well for her and many women and I respect that.

Problem is more men or other fans who don't know when to "shut off" and treat women like shit in the real world. Shitty attitudes in a digital space can absolutely seep through or exist in real life.

There's grey here. I think she's beautiful and a talented hot tub lady (lol), but this is absolutely softcore stuff and I'm not sure belongs on front pages if it's not part of what's typically expected part of a "general ages" website. I think it's awful people tend to treat sex work with less value (even and especialyl if "not telling her" about getting cut off ad revenue is in some way because they are demeaning her work or not taking it seriously while hoarding the profits from it anyways).

There's functionally no difference uneles you have some weird puritan take, honestly.

Yes there is, and it's why most people won't wear them interchangeably.

I don't have a problem with games where people get gutted and sliced, just like I don't have a problem with women in bikinis if that's what they are choosing to do. I think it's fair to point out the hypocrisy that many people seem to draw a line on "woman in a bikini" on a platform that at the same time routinely hosts incredibly violent content for anyone (including minors) to see.

There is honestly a LOT to say about the topic of how common and desensitized violence has become in media. Tons of reports and case studies about the sheer amount of violence people witness in media has research going back decades, and even recent E3's have analyzed the amount of games that feature violence vs. non-violence.

... Would you be willing to put your foot down and have all the violent games gone? Would we or can we also see the sexual aspect outta games gone too? (I honestly don't have an answer)

Last edited:

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal

Bathing attire has several layers and a lining in between. That's why it's not typically see-through when wet.

Lingerie and regular underwear aren't like that. In our water park, part of our job was checking this, it was a sanitary norm that people don't enter the pools or go down slides without proper bathing attire.
And her current attire is definitely seethrough right now, as the panties are meshes, same with the bra. And her channel still isn't set to "Mature Audience", it's clear at this point she's trying to push the line as much as she can since being demonetized for ads

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Your park might have had those rules, but you see stuff like this at the beach all the damn time.

OBVIOUSLY. There is definite tension when feminists discuss this type of topic exactly because it sits between these aspects opposing ideas. On one hand, women deserve total freedom and a chance to be equal with their male partners or using what works for them -- again, their body and their choice. The problem is women are NOT considered equal even when we "use sex" to get up there. Women are still constantly objectified (gaming and media especially) and using her body to sell. It works and has clearly worked well for her and many women and I respect that.

Problem is more men or other fans who don't know when to "shut off" and treat women like shit in the real world. Shitty attitudes in a digital space can absolutely seep through or exist in real life.

There's grey here. I think she's beautiful and a talented hot tub lady (lol), but this is absolutely softcore stuff and I'm not sure belongs on front pages if it's not prt of what's typically expected part of a "general ages" website. I think it's awful people tend to treat sex work with less value (even and especialyl if "not telling her" about getting cut off ad revenue is in some way because they are demeaning her work or not taking it seriously while hoarding the profits from it anyways).
I know, I was agreeing with you in the first part in order to properly set up my main point, which was objecting to the idea expressed here:

Despite claims of puritanism, it's also probably not content you want to be walking in someone watching. Like it or not, no matter how we talk about puratinism, there is obviously some sense that this isn't really easy public viewing and it's for a reason.

Were you precisely talking about the opposing issues of agency and objectification here? I initially read it as "it is understandable that people are uncofmrtable seeing someone in a bikini' as a general idea, which I think is an issue with society more

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
There is honestly a LOT to say about the topic of how common and desensitized violence has become in media. Tons of reports and case studies about the sheer amount of violence people witness in media has research going back decades, and even recent E3's have analyzed the amount of games that feature violence vs. non-violence.

... Would you be willing to put your foot down and have all the violent games gone? Would we or can we also see the sexual aspect outta games gone too? (I honestly don't have an answer)

No, the answer isn't to shut down more content, it the opposite approach, its to become more open to content that might be more "sexual" in nature, or be open to women's agency to use their bodies however they see fit. To point out that the idea that someone might be concerned that their child might be exposed to a woman in a bikini sitting in a kiddie pool on a platform where said child has access to games with extreme, realistic scenes of violence, is kind of stupid?

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
Your park might have had those rules, but you see stuff like this at the beach all the damn time

And in other countries like Italy and Spain there's a lot of topless women on beaches, it's a done thing and it's acceptable because of the time and place where it is. If the same people were wearing the same amount in a different situation, say the front page of a website your 15 year old kid on, it becomes a different question. Context is important.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

There's grey here. I think she's beautiful and a talented hot tub lady (lol), but this is absolutely softcore stuff and I'm not sure belongs on front pages if it's not prt of what's typically expected part of a "general ages" website. I think it's awful people tend to treat sex work with less value (even and especialyl if "not telling her" about getting cut off ad revenue is in some way because they are demeaning her work or not taking it seriously while hoarding the profits from it anyways).
Not about to say Twitch should host this stuff (they should be open and fair about it) but I don't think these women are the beginning or the end of the sexual objectification problem and I don't like that they are usually the first and last things targeted on social platforms to "combat" it. Especially since plenty of sexually suggestive content of women exists in video games created by men that are being streamed and shared freely, no problem.

I understand why people don't want this on Twitch and have good, legitmate reasons like yourself, but there are a lot of people whose priorities are obvious and they are the ones being catered to while women continue to be stripped of agency with no concessions in return.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No, the answer isn't to shut down more content, it the opposite approach, its to become more open to content that might be more "sexual" in nature, or be open to women's agency to use their bodies however they see fit. To point out that the idea that someone might be concerned that their child might be exposed to a woman in a bikini sitting in a kiddie pool on a platform where said child has access to games with extreme, realistic scenes of violence, is kind of stupid?

Again, most people probably won't be murdering others as much as they're interacting with women (give or take, presumably half the time?).
Objectification is still something often cheered for and encouraged; and the way women prefer to use their sexuality and sexual freedom can still be quite different than how men see it and want to see it when they cough up some coin for it (I don't think putting people's name on your body is about sexual freedom at all, it's just crazy kinky 👍 ).
Murder is still the opposite; we do not encourage it and put very serious punitive measures against it. But we literally do not do enough to either change the types of games made or style of games that require taking out targets as their primary objective. ...It's actually kinda sad.
We have fucked up priorities and we're doing a kinda bad job handling it; worse is attempts to downgrade either violence or sexuality in games or film get met with incredibly vocal objections from certain crowds. >_>

Twitch does generally need to step up their rules for how it handles minors viewing content. Be it hot tubs or violent games (I'm not sure or know anyone young enough, but can you gate M-rated games so as to not be accessible to younger viewers?_)

Not about to say Twitch should host this stuff (they should be open and fair about it) but I don't think these women are the beginning or the end of the sexual objectification problem and I don't like that they are usually the first and last things targeted on social platforms to "combat" it. Especially since plenty of sexually suggestive content of women exists in video games created by men that are being streamed and shared freely, no problem.

I understand why people don't want this on Twitch and have good, legitmate reasons like yourself, but there are a lot of people whose priorities are obvious and they are the ones being catered to while women continue to be stripped of agency with no concessions in return.

This is definitely true. It's a drop in the bucket really. And it's complicated since a lot of us ladies do enjoy being sexy whether for ourselves or for others. I'm a bit confused about the last part, can you elaborate?

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And in other countries like Italy and Spain there's a lot of topless women on beaches, it's a done thing and it's acceptable because of the time and place where it is. If the same people were wearing the same amount in a different situation, say the front page of a website your 15 year old kid on, it becomes a different question. Context is important.
Yes, and the context here is society has too much of a hang up when it comes to other people's bodies. What is shown on that stream is no more risque than what we often see on TV, on adverts in public cities, on non-nudist beaches, even in parks on sunny days... The hypocrisy when it comes to activating puratist concern to control other people's bodies is pretty obvious, imo.

Your kid is at those beaches, at those parks, seeing these images everywhere in public on advertisements.... it is an inconsistent message to say it is fine here but some alarming harmful thing elsewhere. It only leads to further objectification.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This is a tricky situation.

There's a lot of money in simping whether you're the platform holder or the content provider. While the internet has clearly figured out that hardcore material is best reserved for OnlyFans or Manyvids or whatever, softcore non-nude material is a weird nebulous gray area while also being everywhere all the time.

It's not just Twitch having issues with it. TikTok is wildly inconsistent and weird about their moderation of not just "girls twerking" and "thirst traps" but also frankly innocent content in anything semi-revealing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Again, most people probably won't be murdering others as much as they're interacting with women (give or take, presumably half the time?).
Objectification is still something often cheered for and encouraged; and the way women prefer to use their sexuality and sexual freedom can still be quite different than how men see it and want to see it when they cough up some coin for it.
Murder is still the opposite; we do not encourage it and put very serious punitive measures against it. But we literally do not do enough to either change the types of games made or style of games that require taking out targets as their primary objective. ...It's actually kinda sad.
We have fucked up priorities and we're doing a kinda bad job handling it; worse is attempts to downgrade either violence or sexuality in games or film get met with incredibly vocal objections from certain crowds. >_>

Twitch does generally need to step up their rules for how it handles minors viewing content. Be it hot tubs or violent games (I'm not sure or know anyone young enough, but can you gate M-rated games, but can videos be flagged for it and not streamed to young teens?)

Yeah but it isn't, nor should it be, the job of a woman to reign themselves in in order to account for how some weirdo loser incels are going to react to them.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

I'm about as worried of a 15 year old seeing a woman in a bikini on a website as i am of 15 year old playing GTAV.

Which is: not very. (an GTA lets you do all the sex stuff too).

I get why this content bothers people but not why they are worried teenagers might see it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes, and the context here is society has too much of a hang up when it comes to other people's bodies. What is shown on that stream is no more risque than what we often see on TV, on adverts in public cities, on non-nudist beaches, even in parks on sunny days... The hypocrisy when it comes to activating puratist concern to control other people's bodies is pretty obvious, imo.

Your kid is at those beaches, at those parks, seeing these images everywhere in public on advertisements.... it is an inconsistent message to say it is fine here but some alarming harmful thing elsewhere. It only leads to further objectification.

Okay, I'm sorry, do women at the beaches you go to look like this?

imIZ6Um.png

Beach gear can be pretty revealing, but context and intent is clearly important here. She's got people's name written on her body because someone paid good money for it for pete's sakes. But hey, Magikarp is the "biggest D" and dropping $70... 🍑 Peach beach!!

And people are fighting against dogshit standards in media and advertising like ALL THE TIME. Women wearing heels in actions films, doing the "butt + tits pose" in games, using Photoshop to make petite models even tinier.... It's not inconsistent as much as it seems to just keep happening anyways. :/

I'm about as worried of a 15 year old seeing a woman in a bikini on a website as i am of 15 year old playing GTAV.

I mean, that's great for you, but some parents genuinely are. Nintendo has for a long time kept a mega sanitized family friendly image probably BECAUSE it was such an easy sell to parents.

I mean, that said, I think 15 I'd stop caring what my kid would watch too, but I'd probably still give some content warning or heads up that it's "just media" and not invest too much time or money into it. :/

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely true. It's a drop in the bucket really. And it's complicated since a lot of us ladies do enjoy being sexy whether for ourselves or for others. I'm a bit confused about the last part, can you elaborate?
Yeah, worded it a bit weird. Mostly trying to say that men don't like seeing women with this sort of agency over themselves and try to get them removed because it makes them uncomfortable. The end result being women on social media being constantly policed for what they do, even up to stuff as harmless as cleavage, while media that exploits them is given a pass because men are ok with that.

I understand people who just don't want sexual content of any sort on a wide platform, but the only time it's curbed is when women are doing it themselves.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, worded it a bit weird. Mostly trying to say that men don't like seeing women with this sort of agency over themselves and try to get them removed because it makes them uncomfortable. The end result being women on social media being constantly policed for what they do, even up to stuff as harmless as cleavage, while media that exploits them is given a pass because men are ok with that.

I understand people who just don't want sexual content of any sort on a wide platform, but the only time it's curbed is when women are doing it themselves.

Argh, thanks, and yeah, I 100% see this angle too. Hell you see it here, topics about women's bodies, even with good intention, go on waaaaaay longer and strangely more in-depth. It's a fair point and even try as I might in these topics I concede on those points. It's dumb. and awful we have to almost "explain ourselves" more to some extent. argh.

... lol but point is: Suckit Twitch, please do better (they wont).

Weird stance seeing as this is my recommended bar every time that I open twitch.

fireshotcapture011-fo3gjxi.png

I literally think Twitch wants to make money off it while the sun shines and until the moment finally get into 'serious' trouble for it somehow.
It's like a tabloid magazine posting false news to sell clicks because the amount of press they get is greater the trouble they get into.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017

I get why this content bothers people but not why they are worried teenagers might see it.

it's not really "people" that you need to think of, it's the advertising executives who decide where their money goes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm sorry, do women at the beaches you go to look like this?

imIZ6Um.png

Beach gear can be pretty revealing, but context and intent is clearly important here. She's got people's name written on her body because someone paid good money for it for pete's sakes. But hey, Magikarp is the "biggest D" in....

And people are fighting against dogshit standards in media and advertising like ALL THE TIME. Women wearing heels in actions films, doing the "butt + tits pose" in games, using Photoshop to make petite models even tinier....
I am being honest when I say I have seen far, far more revealing outfits than this at beaches. Many, many times.

There are also lingerie adverts plastered all over the place in London, UK. This exact kind of lingerie. Shops have models in windows, images of models wearing stuff like this on full display... Shows way before watershed have scenes with people in underwear like this, hell even early morning chat shows in the UK have fashion show segments with models wearing lingerie like this.

If we allow ap those other instances of seeing this on a daily basis, and only apply concern and limitation when it comes to a person actively using their own body this way, it immediately puts a sign above it and says "this is too sexual and needs to be moderated". Not only is this super hypocritical next to all of the examples above, it is teaching people that the body is an inherently sexualised thing that we need to control that will only lead to further objectification.

There should.be more efforts to normalise sexuality and make it less of a commodity ripe for exploitation and more of a push to make sexuality a positive thing that an individual can freely express without being objectified. The more we make these things taboo, the more the latter is going to happen.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am being honest when I say I have seen far, far more revealing outfits than this at beaches. Many, many times.

There are also lingerie adverts plastered all over the place in London, UK. This exact kind of lingerie. Shops have models in windows, images of models wearing stuff like this on full display... Shows way before watershed have scenes with people in underwear like this, hell even early morning chat shows in the UK have fashion show segments with models wearing lingerie like this.

If we allow ap those other instances of seeing this on a daily basis, and only apply concern and limitation when it comes to a person actively using their own body this way, it immediately puts a sign above it and says "this is sexual and needs to be moderated". Not only is this super hypocritical next to all of the examples above, it is teaching people that the body is an inherently sexualised thing that will only lead to further objectification.

There should.be more efforts to normalise sexuality and make it less of a commodity ripe for exploitation and more of a push to make sexuality a positive thing that an individual can freely express without being objectified. The more we make these thing taboo, the more the latter is going to happen.

Bodies ARE a sexual thing and we HAVE indeed politicized it. Why do you think white and petite models dominate most ads? Why do you think we Photoshop cellulite and bigger breasts? Why are parts of the world still fighting about birth control and abortion (even when we shouldn't)? Why are we still so reluctant for male full frontal nudity compared to female? Why even bother with plastic surgery if none of this mattered at all?
We DO need to loosen up, but we're not really there and still fighting the fight slowly when you're jumping ahead all at once and having a one-fix for all issues to "just do it" when there's nuance to it:
I assume none of these lingerie models you saw had "donor names" written on them ....cuz no, this is NOT what people do at the beach. Writing someone's name on your body is literally a sexual kink. She's wearing lingerie and the "hot tub stream" idea is LITERALLY hitched to being a workaround to just being a straight up cam girl to gather funds. I'm not even faulting it, but I have issues with how you're choosing not to define for what it is than "just a day at the beach!". 🌴

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that's great for you, but some parents genuinely are. Nintendo has for a long time kept a mega sanitized family friendly image probably BECAUSE it was such an easy sell to parents.

I mean, that said, I think 15 I'd stop caring what my kid would watch too, but I'd probably still give some content warning or heads up that it's "just media" and not invest too much time or money into it. :/

Monitoring the media consumption of your kids, even as teenagers, is a good thing, i agree. And i have vetoed games purchases of my brother when he was 15.

But: a stream like this is not "just media" because the person is actually talking and reacting to the audience in real time. That's different from just looking at sexualised images. That makes a more complicated conversation necessary but it also means that if you are shitty to the streamer you'll likely get banned.

And also: banning the streamers doesn't make twitch a family friendly platform. Because the games aren't. And there's actual real life gambling streams. And some streamers are very explicit in their language, especially some of the popular male streamers.

I'd honestly be much more worried my son picks up the attitude of someone like xQc than learning the wrong things from Amouranth. And the former is much more likely to happen.

it's not really "people" that you need to think of, it's the advertising executives who decide where their money goes.

And it'll only be a problem for advertising executives if people make it a problem. If no one cares neither do the advertisers.

Last edited: