smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Never said they were.

But you think a console manufacturer shouldn't have any due diligence in place that the games, pubs and devs they highlight in their HEAVILY CURATED SHOWCASE don't have abusive conditions?
Do you know how long and at what cost such an audit would take? And for every company involved (there's a whole chain of suppliers - how deep should they go?) This is not a reasonable position to take.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
CCO testament.docx said:
3 members of the art team are let go during COVID, the decision is forced again on everyonewith the pretense that budget needs to be saved and dates need to be changed. One asked tostay for free and was given that opportunity with various pressure pointsadded on him. Laterreceiving small amounts of cash each month to "not die"
This is slavery.
Fuck the CEO and the publisher.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder: Support Unionization. That way,we'll have fewer incidents these that these crooks can get away with.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
So, what is the realistic legal avenue for the devs here? Can they get compensation for wages not paid, and can they possibly get their IP back?

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Do you know how long and at what cost such an audit would take? And for every company involved (there's a whole chain of suppliers - how deep should they go?) This is not a reasonable position to take.

You're right.

Having third-party auditing to ensure the health and safety of developers shouldn't be considered.

Just leave it to the Studio and Publisher. Because that's clearly working.

Three checks-and-balances is better than two, you say!

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Investor is present and various things are discussed. The point aboutovertime is agreed on andaccepted eventually. CCO asks to see the calculation of his overtime that the CEO is sayingexists, but refuses to give it and deflectsaggressively. It is obvious no such paper has everexisted. CCO is reminded about the situation with his parents and that he should think aboutmoney. (Father in critical condition/deceased at this time, Mother requiring care and funds forstage 4 cancer treatment)
Psychological and emotional manipulation.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Never said they were.

But you think a console manufacturer shouldn't have any due diligence in place that the games, pubs and devs they highlight in their HEAVILY CURATED SHOWCASE don't have abusive conditions?
Exactly, Sony must demand that publishers allow a team of auditors to interview developments teams. Of course, those auditors must be flown fly around the world to conduct these interviews, so that they can inspect the working environment of the developers that aren't under their employment.

Then Focus can have their 60 second trailer.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Just read everything, yeah, legal action needs to be taken, this is abuse of all kinds. I'm not hopeful anything will come of it.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Exactly, Sony must demand that publishers allow a team of auditors to interview developments teams. Of course, those auditors must be flown fly around the world to conduct these interviews, so that they can inspect the working environment of the developers that aren't under their employment.

Then Focus can have their 60 second trailer.

Jesus, what are you blabbering about?

1) If Sony shows a game at their heavily curated event, shouldn't they take at least a few steps to ensure everything is kosher with the team behind it?
2) Auditors - even amidst COVID-19 - can still interview employees, can they not? Have you tried a thing called Zoom lately?

It's not hard to at least briefly audit the games you showcase and highlight as synonymous with your brand.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
This the same Focus Interactive that tried to dick over Frogwares (Sherlock, Sinking City) last year.

Can't say I'm surprised. Though this seems way more severe.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
This sucks for the devs. This is one of the great thing about social media being able to call people on their shit immediately

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
You're right.

Having third-party auditing to ensure the health and safety of developers shouldn't be considered.

i'm not sure why you are doubling down on this while still avoiding the main point. Third party auditing costs resources, money, travel (given current situation), and remember the game is not platform exclusive. so aside from publisher and studio, who else would have any stake in performing that edit? who else would even have the right to audit them?
it's not like any editor actually paid for the thing and has the right to have any look at it.

if a studio and a publisher approaches a major editor, i doubt they will accept their business to be closelyinspected.

Jul 8, 2020
The audio of the CEO rejecting the resignation reminded me of literally all my shithead bosses. This sucks, hope the devs get whats theirs.
Do we boycott? Is that the move here?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
The devs literally went through hell in this company. It breaks my heart that they were treated like garbage. This pos CEO and studio can go fuck itself.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
i'm not sure why you are doubling down on this while still avoiding the main point. Third party auditing costs resources, money, travel (given current situation), and remember the game is not platform exclusive. so aside from publisher and studio, who else would have any stake in performing that edit? who else would even have the right to audit them?
it's not like any editor actually paid for the thing and has the right to have any look at it.

if a studio and a publisher approaches a major editor, i doubt they will accept their business to be closelyinspected.

Costs, Resources, Money of a massive publisher > Ensuring Developer Health

That's literally all I get from your argument.

Assistant Narrative Director's Testimony

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Holy hell the Assistant Narrative Director's account is the motherload of the worst stuff, as she is speaking out as person who was in power:

YbJbur8.png

dygbIRZ.png

McJrutP.png

FZ3r08d.png

I recommend reading her entire account because these four excerpts aren't even everything. I couldn't screenshot it all.

She was one of the good ones for sure.

Damn. Just damn.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Costs, Resources, Money of a massive publisher > Ensuring Developer Health

That's literally all I get from your argument.

you're missing the point again, and you are putting words i never said into my mouth.

Noone ever said any sort of audit or control should not be done. it is actually even preferable. But since in the publishing chain there is no one above the publisher in that specific case, this is as far as it goes. Now there are public/legal instances for this.

If sony or any other editor bought anythng in there (the IP, or an exclusivity, or even the studio), then yeah, probably they would have had regular reports, audits, to see where the game is headed.

your initial point was that sony should have known. but in the current case, if sony would have gone to them to have regular reports, the studio would tell them to fuck off, and they would be right, sony is not entitled to know.

do we have a common ground?

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
You're right.

Have you considered the implications of what you are asking for? Audit's are really expensive, time consuming, not to mention you are asking companies to give Sony access to personal records etc? Private information like salary and health data? Interviewing staff?

No company is going to spend hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars on a company wide personnel audit before showing a trailer on a blog post. That's the kind of thing that happens during an acquisition.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Holy hell the Assistant Narrative Director's account is the motherload of the worst stuff, as she is speaking out as person who was in power:

YbJbur8.png

dygbIRZ.png

McJrutP.png

FZ3r08d.png

I recommend reading her entire account because these four excerpts aren't even everything. I couldn't screenshot it all.

She was one of the good ones for sure.

Damn. Just damn.

this is downright terrifying....
and this is actually very bad management. handling a team by fear is a proof of failure, always.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, what are you blabbering about?

1) If Sony shows a game at their heavily curated event, shouldn't they take at least a few steps to ensure everything is kosher with the team behind it?
2) Auditors - even amidst COVID-19 - can still interview employees, can they not? Have you tried a thing called Zoom lately?

It's not hard to at least briefly audit the games you showcase and highlight as synonymous with your brand.

What kind of audit do you even think would catch any of this. Like maybe its several months ago that this deal went through, at that time everyone at the studio says everything is fine to Sony because what else would they say. Just talking to the developers isn't going to reveal anything, the developers aren't going to say anything bad that might ruin there chances of this one time deal that could make them going through. How would Sony asking to talk to the developers not be classed as extremely invasive, most developers/publishers would tell Sony to fuck off. What other investigations can they do that aren't extremely invasive and time consuming(I can't think of anything they could do that would find this stuff). If they do it for this then surely they must investigate every single game that they publish on their store.

What your asking is not possible, unless you only want first party games on the console.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Focus needs to commit to paying the original dev team for their work AT THE VERY LEAST

MINIMUM

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
and this is actually very bad management. handling a team by fear is a proof of failure, always.
She really did push back at him on that. Since most won't click the link I want to post this exchange she shared. X: Her Y: CEO

VV1MahD.png

fAzMW32.png

VmG8MBS.png

She really went to bat for that team and it killed her health. There's some grim stuff in the full testimony.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Is it Focus Home Interactive that is the bad guy in all this? If so, I'm staying away from their games.
unless they were completely hoodwinked by the management at LSG, i dont see how they didnt get at least a whiff of this

maybe the covid lockdown distracted them, but all the same itd be a pretty fucked thing to ignore if they knew

Adum

May 30, 2019
Agreed. Terrifying is a good description of the horror show described there. I really hope that once the full truth comes out Sony will drop the game like a hot potato. But at the same time, I don't get the rest of you people insisting that Sony should have vetted this company before they included it in the SoP.

Like, no.

Just listen to what you're asking in your outrage. You want a company to do a deep investigation into the behavior of every single other company it does business with? In an ideal world with unlimited time and resources, yes. Not in this world. That won't happen, and it's unfair to insist that any company should do this. I don't think I'm being anti consumer or pro big business by saying that. That's just common sense.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Been taking my time to read some of these accounts and fuck me, you hear about the shitty working environments in the videogame industry but this one takes the cake. Deliberately stress workers? Christ.

Really hope those developers land on their feet, what a shit situation. And those in charge better not step foot in a studio again.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
you're missing the point again, and you are putting words i never said into my mouth.

Noone ever said any sort of audit or control should not be done. it is actually even preferable. But since in the publishing chain there is no one above the publisher in that specific case, this is as far as it goes. Now there are public/legal instances for this.

If sony or any other editor bought anythng in there (the IP, or an exclusivity, or even the studio), then yeah, probably they would have had regular reports, audits, to see where the game is headed.

your initial point was that sony should have known. but in the current case, if sony would have gone to them to have regular reports, the studio would tell them to fuck off, and they would be right, sony is not entitled to know.

do we have a common ground?

We don't have common ground. If I'm a Brand Manager or Studio Liaison with SIE, I'd want to know about the health of the employees behind the game we're showing. Moreover, I want to know that what I'm showing is legally sound from an IP infringement standpoint. And of course the studio and publisher isn't going to tell me to fuck off - because I'm their best shot at mass awareness among consumers. Will they lie? Maybe. But will I at least have a paper trail of attempting to gather a report? Yes.

So let me reiterate. The studio heads shouldn't have been shitty. Focus should've known. And Sony - a major vessel for third parties to showcase their games - should have audits in place. Especially given how toxic this industry is behind the scenes.

So no. No common ground here it seems.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Heeh, just saw the trailer, they shamelessly used the intro of Albinoni's Adagio at the end ah ah ah..

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The tweet in the OP has about 100x the retweets of Focus' announcement tweet. They certainly succeeded at putting a spotlight on this.
Get the impression Focus was hoping to slide the game out from underneath this collapse somehow.
But nope, this is something Focus will have to deal with now.

Zero expectations as Focus has been stalling at best so far, but hopefully they'll do what they can to help out the employees wronged by Limestone Games' abusive and incompetent management. Those people, and especially the CEO, Yaroslav Lyssenko, should not be allowed in such positions.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Hope Sony yoinks that game trailer from the event until this is resolved; plenty of other developers who aren't fucking people over out there who could use the spotlight.