DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Just a few days ago, Netflix officially announced that The Witcher would be ending after Season 5, with Season 4 just starting production. The two final seasons will be filmed back-to-back, which was already known before.
One of Netflix's endeavors with The Witcher franchise was to expand it with spinoffs. First was the very well-received The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf anime about Vesemir. Then we had The Witcher: Blood Origin live-action miniseries, which was not so well received, to put it mildly, despite putting in a pretty good shift when it comes to viewership numbers.
Later this year will be The Witcher: Sirens of the Deep starring Doug Cockle as Geralt, who reprises his role from the CD Projekt Red games.

But there were two more spinoffs: The Rats and the untitled kid's Witcher series. Both, we've been told by sources, are dead in the water Netflix and shelved for good.
The Rats was a prequel series about its eponymous characters, the Rats. They are a group of teenagers who turned to crime because of the war. The Witcher introduced them in the final episode of Season 3. In that season, we saw them as a whole group. The prequel would explore how they met and what they did before meeting Ciri.
Although Netflix never acknowledged the existence of The Rats prequel, its filming already happened in 2023. They filmed for two months with The Sandman and Shadow & Bone director Mairzee Almas in South Africa and went into post-production right after.

But all is not well with The Rats.
Redanian Intelligence reported earlier this week that they only filmed a small portion of the originally intended full limited series. Upon seeing the footage, Netflix decided not to pick The Rats up for an entire season nor repurpose it into a movie.

It gets even more interesting as Netflix reportedly intends to repurpose some of the footage from The Rats into flashbacks in The Witcher Season 4. Whether they end up doing it remains to be seen.
RI also reports that Sirens of the Deep anime is the final Witcher spinoff on Netflix. That means that the untitled kids series announced in 2021 is dead as well. We'll likely never know what it was meant to be—perhaps normal Witcher, but bloodless and tame, or maybe Witcher-themed Cocomelon. We'll never know.
www.whats-on-netflix.com

Two 'The Witcher' Spinoffs Dead At Netflix

The Rats which began filming is no longer being released nor is the kids animated spinoff.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The steam for it died. Maybe weekly releases could have helped ...and keeping its main star. And some other stuff.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Had potential, they didn't have particualrly strong writing and now it will be dead as a franchise on Netflix.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
so weird how they squandered all that goodwill coming off season one. like imagine some years from now Amazon being in a similar boat with Fallout or something

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
The Witcher initiative is dead, now One Piece is Netflix's cow.

Which is fine by me.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
RoboCop, Toxic Avenger, and Rambo had cartoons.The Witcher was just going to join those esteemed franchises.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Shouldn't have even been able to finish saying the idea out loud before stopping and realising a kids Witcher series is a terrible idea.

Somehow a room full of suits probably gave this a thumbs up and patted each other on the back while jerking off until now.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Netflix took what easily could have been the next GoT and fucked it directly into the ground. So many ridiculous choices and unnecessary changes to the already established lore.

If they had just followed the books and stories to the letter it could have been great.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher feels like an IP that could have become one of Netflix's big pillars and yet they somehow completely dropped the ball following the all things considered pretty well received first season. It's almost funny.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For a moment I was worried they'd ditch the Doug Cockle animated movie. That one looks pretty good.

Rats and Witcher kids show both sounded already dreadful and I have no faith in them expanding the lore after Blood origins

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Completely anecdotal, but it felt like interest was all but dead when Season 3 came out. During Season 1 that damn song was everywhere, seemed like people were digging it. None of my friends were watching by the time Season 3 started AND they split the season. I didn't even bother coming back for the second half.

Invincible Season 2 feels the same way tbh. Momentum killed.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
For kids who have this on their bookshelf.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This had so much potential. The Witcher IP could have been Netflix's TLOU or Fallout, but they completely fucked it up.
Netflix took what easily could have been the next GoT and fucked it directly into the ground. So many ridiculous choices and unnecessary changes to the already established lore.

If they had just followed the books and stories to the letter it could have been great.

Pretty much. They completely wasted an IP that had the potential to be the next big thing.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nice, now sell the rights to Apple or HBO and move on

Had the next GOT/TLOU, a great lead and mostly solid cast and completely screwed it up

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Caville left and took the audience with him I guess.

It's the reason I didn't even bother with season 3.
No the writers drove the audience away. Cavill leaving is a symptom of that. He is a big fan of the books/Lore and they butchered it. He didn't like what they were doing.

It's so frustrating as a huge Witcher fan to see this happen.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i don't even really understand why they are bothering pouring money into witcher s4 & s5, i don't know anyone who watched s1 who is sticking with the show. half didn't watch s3 and when others in my family found out cavill is out they didn't bother watching s3 or said they won't continue. i watched s3, thought it was absolutely terrible, remember nothing about it other than magic users waving their hands around like Gob from Arrested Development.

its not like netflix cares anymore about cancelling stuff too early, things like Shadow and Bones or Bebop or Resident Evil all got cancelled after just 1 or 2 seasons with cliffhangers. Netflix could cut their content production probably by 70% and affect sub numbers barely right now.

Sure, in a couple of years I think they are gonna have massive problems with ever increasing sub prices and a problem of not having much good content but thats a problem for another time, and adding 2 more seasons of extremely mediocre Witcher will do nothing to alleviate it. They really need to be pouring this kind of money into finding new franchises, and more importantly, talented showrunners who can actually adapt material instead of butchering it.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
When your main lead comes out and not so subtly says the showrunner sucks as does the show, then fucks off, no surprise it kills the franchise.

Last edited:

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Give it a few years between Dungeon Meshi and Frieren we will get more Witcher anime. Studio Mir did amazing work I can see a number of studios adapting world of Witcher stuff.

Jan 29, 2018
so weird how they squandered all that goodwill coming off season one. like imagine some years from now Amazon being in a similar boat with Fallout or something

Right? It's easy to forget how high people were on the property when season 1 hit. That damn song was everywhere and everyone was playing Witcher 3 and buying books.

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
They ran this one into the ground. Started extremely hot, now it's dead on the vine. Such a shame, because the next game will hit eventually, likely be huge, and they could've had a whole franchise going.

It's often good to have *some* people who aren't super fans of a series working on an adaptation. But this went too far in that direction, the show runners and the bulk of the writer's room seemed to actively resent the material.

It's almost like how D&D got blatantly bored with ASOIAF after the big Red Wedding moment, except in this case it was trending that way from the start. There are some good moments and episodes, but not any great seasons of this show. And the spinoff is wretched.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

Basically this. I just can't comprehend why they gave the ultimate direction of these properties to people who just wanted to fundamentally change them. Like...what's the point of securing rights to IP and then changing what people liked about said IP? Didn't the showrunner admit to not liking the books as well? That logic is so baffling to me.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda wild that Dwayne Johnson changed the hierarchy of the Netflix Witcher Universe.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't even know they made so many seasons. I remember thinking the first season was OK but with weird writing and pacing and a couple pretty bad episodes. I don't remember anything about season two other than I checked out after a couple episodes I remember finding it to be straight up bad. Shortly after that, Cavill was announced to be leaving and any fleeting interest I still held left immediately.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Cavill took the wind with him.

Series will for sure boom again when the next game comes out.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix fucked this up themselves. It was so so so easy to make it great, but no, of course they had to reinvent the wheel

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Both sound like terrible ideas and the show went downhill fast after the first season.

I still can't believe they're continuing it without Cavill.

CosmicCrouton

Jul 12, 2023
Basically this. I just can't comprehend why they gave the ultimate direction of these properties to people who just wanted to fundamentally change them. Like...what's the point of securing rights to IP and then changing what people liked about said IP? Didn't the showrunner admit to not liking the books as well? That logic is so baffling to me.
I think one half is hubris, they think they can do better, the other is that they view simply adapting already existing material without putting your own flavor or spin on it as lazy or somehow less prestigious. It's maybe one of those it might be bad but at least it's my version situations.
IP rights should be sold with a contract to adapt with limited creative meddling to avoid IP contamination.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Ideally the people in control of the creative direction of The Witcher would be unable to get another job in that role again but they probably will.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
They completely fumbled the ball with the IP. The first season of the main series was okay, but everything after that was really not good. I'm not one of those types that insists adaptations be 1:1 with their source material, but they changed and made up so much shit that they may as well have just come up with their own fantasy IP instead of using an existing one.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
I think one half is hubris, they think they can do better, the other is that they view simply adapting already existing material without putting your own flavor or spin on it as lazy or somehow less prestigious. It's maybe one of those it might be bad but at least it's my version situations.
IP rights should be sold with a contract to adapt with limited creative meddling to avoid IP contamination.
Meanwhile Fallout and TLOU is making BANK being true to the IP 😅

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is the behind the scenes of this show will probably make for an extremely highly rated docudrama series in 10-15 years.

Henry Cavill signs up to play the Witcher but abruptly announces his departure after 3 years, that almost never happens for a high profile project like this.
Beau DeMayo was a writer for witcher, leaves that show to go on to create the highly successful X-Men97 animated show. During a random instagram stories Q&A he claims that some of the writers for the witcher actively disliked and mocked all the witcher source material. Beau is later fired by Disney a week before X-Men 97 premieres (no one still knows why), and is still currently talking about the show every week on social media with fans.
Multiple spinoffs from the Witcher are released to extremely poor reception or cancelled mid production. Literally The Rats was in the middle of filming (1 month down out of 6, all scripts written and cast and crew brought together at enormous expense), Netflix suddenly halts production, lets everyone go, and almost a year later announces the project has been cancelled.
Meanwhile seasons 4 & 5 are being filmed back to back with a new lead, in the middle of filming its announced season 5 will be the last.
the author of the books has claimed multiple times neither the people working on the show nor game care at all about his input and actively ignore everything he has to say.

Like there is an INSANE story here somewhere. We're talking $700m+ spent on something they know is not going well but mostly-full steam ahead anyways?

Timothy Chalamet is Henry Cavill in "The Witcher: Cursed Sex, Lies and Blackmail"

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I know it's still a massive undertaking to adopt a succesfull IP from one media to another, but when a book series is liked and praised by critics and readers why do you decide to meddle so much with the original material and completely change almost everything in it ..
And this is after how GoT ended but you decided not to learn a single thing from their situation