• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, it's a game set in ancient greece and you play as a spartan.

Last edited:

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Curious to see how marketing did/did not affect this, as I remember most of it revolving around Alexios rather than Kassandra. Granted, Marketing vs. Playable Representation are related yet separate issues, it would still be interesting to see the effect of one on the other.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Usually I welcome choice, and the guy playing Alexios is lovely, but Kassandra is definitely more fun so in this case I think Ubi made a mistake by not making her the only character

Then again maybe the sales would have been lower if Alexios was not available, seeing as most people played as him (which makes sense, core gamers are predominantly men and most men prefer playing as men, me included...Kassandra is an exception).

They made a mistake by letting players choose what they want? Lol.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They made a mistake by letting players choose what they want? Lol.
There are multiple perspectives to it, they probaly didn't make a mistake from financial one and from "players can choose" one, but on the other hand if they focused on Kassandra they could have tailored the story around her better.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
How is this ridiculous? You are making it sound as if I'm telling her to be quiet and sit down when I pointed out that there have been female protagonists in AC before.
Not gonna lie, it's kind of how you came across, especially by calling her post an "outburst". I suggest you try to listen and empathize instead of being dismissive next time.

They could have just as easily all been male and they this would be an entirely different conversation.
Not really. It's easy to see why someone would be unimpressed by spin-off and partial protagonists vs a plethora of fully dedicated male protagonists.

As for the "cowards" thing, there's no need to take this personally, lol (unless you work at Ubisoft). I don't think Ubi's reasons are necessarily cowardly, but I don't blame some people for making that jab. Especially since they've said that going forward it's always gonna be a choice, so we'll never get a mainline entry from a dedicated and fully female protagonist perspective, and that's too bad.

There are multiple perspectives to it, they probaly didn't make a mistake from financial one and from "players can choose" one, but on the other hand if they focused on Kassandra they could have tailored the story around her better.
Indeed and I already explained this to this poster...

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I choose alexios like every rpg were i need to make choices were i choose a male character and even try to make myself if they let me. I thought his interactions were really fun also.
I also like kassandra but with this type of game she wouldnt be my first choice (but ised on a second playthrough when i dont try to be muself anymore), that has nothing to do with me only chosing male characters because i actually nearly every time choose the female ones in games were there are no dialogs with options. For example in AC syndicate the majorityof my playtime was with Evie, and i loved it. And of cour i love playing with female characters in games were they are the only main protagonist also, and there should be more games like that.

I think people that are always stressing how stupid other people that only choose the male option are, like some of you in resetera, sound like comoplete asses.
The cool thing about having this options is that everyone is happy, i would hate if they took the option in the future for only male for example, but some of you guys need to chill with the hate.

Edit:
Damn, i hate writting on my phone.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Can you point out the so-called "hate", by the way?

The worst I've seen are some cheeky "you chose poorly" jabs, and almost all of those are simply because they think Kassandra's VA is better.

Relax, guys.
You say they are cheeky, i say they are not.
When something "cheeky" is repeated to nauseaum (and not only in this thread, it happened also in the voting one), it starts to sound more aggressive than cheeky.

Oct 28, 2017
I chose Kasandra and love her character, but I'm having the same issue I have every time I choose to play as female. The armor and animation simply don't look as cool as the males'.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've only played up until you leave the first island, but unsure if I like Kassandra as a character. I may try Alexios before continuing.

Summoner

Nov 4, 2017
Makes sense, it's a game set in ancient greece and you play as a spartan.
This is why Ubisoft didn't and shouldn't have Kassandra as the only choice in this game. They would've had a bigger shitstorm on their hands than Dice did with Battlefield V.
..................... we'll never get a mainline entry from a dedicated and fully female protagonist perspective, and that's too bad.
If they ever visit ancient Greece again......they can do one with Amazons!!
That would make sense to have a dedicated female protagonist perspective only, not this one.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why she is upset. Didn't we just have Aveline in Liberation, Evie in Syndicate, and now Kassandra in Odyssey? Why call the developers cowards for giving choice? Weird outburst.

The point is that games can and do exclude female options without needing to justify it, while wanting a story that is just about a woman has to be justified.

This is why Ubisoft didn't and shouldn't have Kassandra as the only choice in this game. They would've had a bigger shitstorm on their hands than Dice did with Battlefield V.

If they ever visit ancient Greece again......they can do one with Amazons!!
That would make sense to have a dedicated female protagonist perspective only, not this one.

ACO is a fantastical fictionalized Ancient Greece, you don't need to have a male option. You CAN, but the notion that it would be a shitstorm for valid reasons is silly given that a fair portion of the people upset about, say, Battlefield V, were upset because it was a woman in a game on the cover, not because it was a Battlefield game. A lot of these are the same people who are still brooding over Gone Home getting good reviews.

No valid outrage would exist if Odyssey had only a female protagonist, and you don't need to write a story where being a woman is, in part, what defines the character for a female protagonist to be a justifiable thing.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played as Kassandra. Loved her as the main character.

People missed out.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed playing as Kassandra, it felt like the proper choice.

Comparing Ubi's statistics with era's main thread poll just goes to show what an ultra progressive place this is.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed playing as Kassandra, it felt like the proper choice.

Comparing Ubi's statistics with era's main thread poll just goes to show what an ultra progressive place this is.

Not disagreeing that this place is ultra progressive but just because you picked Alexios to play as does not mean you aren't a progressive person.

There is nothing inherently wrong with preferring to play as male. Just like there is nothing wrong with people wanting to play as a female ( and they obviously have had less opportunity in years gone).

The problem lies where if people take issue with playing as a female character. Where if Kassandra was the only playable character then you would kick up a fuss.

As I said I personally prefer playing a male character so naturally chose Alexios but if it wasn't an option and I had to play as Kassandra that would have no bearing of my enjoyment of the game.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Is the game really that different between the 2 options? I did not play it but I expect same of everything except voice and character model, not even different animations, am I wrong?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is the game really that different between the 2 options? I did not play it but I expect same of everything except voice and character model, not even different animations, am I wrong?
It's not different at all. All the lines are the same, npcs respond to you same no matter what gender you choose. Cutscenes are the same except for different facial animations.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
In light of this info, it would be really interesting to see the stats on male to female player ratio if thats available.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
When i have the choice or can create my own character i usually play as a woman because chances are high that if you don't have a choice you play as a dude. In Odyssey specifically playing as Kassandra was a no brainer. Alexios VO alone makes him almost unplayable for me.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I've been saving this game to play over my xmas break. Only a few hours in, but I feel that Kassandra is a bit flat when compared to Bayek in the last game. I'm optimistic though as I've initially thought that about plenty of characters only to warm to them as time goes on.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This has always been the case, even if the Female character is superior (Persona 3 Portable for example) i bet 70-80% still picked the guy.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna begrudge anyone for choosing Alexios but after finally hearing his voice I am so happy I chose Kassandra.
There's nothing wrong with his voice actor per se but I feel like the voice does not match up well with the character.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if anything it's an improvement from the shockingly high % who just rolled with the soldier Broshep.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As for the "cowards" thing, there's no need to take this personally, lol (unless you work at Ubisoft). I don't think Ubi's reasons are necessarily cowardly, but I don't blame some people for making that jab. Especially since they've said that going forward it's always gonna be a choice, so we'll never get a mainline entry from a dedicated and fully female protagonist perspective, and that's too bad.
If two-thirds of players are still choosing the male character (despite being inferior according to most), it's not exactly "cowardly" to keep the male character as an option, is it? It's just smart business. Odyssey might have been a better game if it was Kassandra's sole story, but it's very likely that it would've sold fewer copies as well. Ubisoft maximizes their potential customer base by having two protagonists.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Not disagreeing that this place is ultra progressive but just because you picked Alexios to play as does not mean you aren't a progressive person.

There is nothing inherently wrong with preferring to play as male. Just like there is nothing wrong with people wanting to play as a female ( and they obviously have had less opportunity in years gone).

The problem lies where if people take issue with playing as a female character. Where if Kassandra was the only playable character then you would kick up a fuss.

As I said I personally prefer playing a male character so naturally chose Alexios but if it wasn't an option and I had to play as Kassandra that would have no bearing of my enjoyment of the game.

Agree. I mean playful shaming is fine, but trying to peg people's politics based on an in game choice? Silly.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
I am playing as Alexios, I usually go for the male character when given the choice but I don't mind playing female characters in general.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
If two-thirds of players are still choosing the male character (despite being inferior according to most), it's not exactly "cowardly" to keep the male character as an option, is it? It's just smart business. Odyssey might have been a better game if it was Kassandra's sole story, but it's very likely that it would've sold fewer copies as well. Ubisoft maximizes their potential customer base by having two protagonists.
Refusing to take the mildest of risks (Ubisoft business isn't hurting at all) and taking the so-called safest business choice is pretty much exactly what she meant by cowardice.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Refusing to take the mildest of risks (Ubisoft business isn't hurting at all) and taking the so-called safest business choice is pretty much exactly what she meant by cowardice.
I suppose, but just because a company's business isn't hurting doesn't mean they're going to turn down revenue for no reason. Especially not a publicly traded company like Ubi. Going with a female-only lead is unlikely to have increased sales. Best case scenario, they would've done as well as they generally do anyway. In the eyes of the bean counters, there are only potential cons there, no pros.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
There's no way I could ever play as Alexios now, considering how awesome Kassandra was and how attached I got to her character and her story.

I just hope Ubi doesn't see these stats as "they don't like girl protagonists, guys only from now on".

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I suppose, but just because a company's business isn't hurting doesn't mean they're going to turn down revenue for no reason. Especially not a publicly traded company like Ubi. Going with a female-only lead is unlikely to have increased sales. Best case scenario, they would've done as well as they generally do anyway. In the eyes of the bean counters, there are only potential cons there, no pros.
By that logic, no game dev should ever make games featuring dedicated female protagonists, since a male protags would "always sell more". Fortunately, the makers of Mirrors Edge, Horizon, Tomb Raider, etc. have decided to "take those risks". Hell, even Ubisoft did, too, by making Bayek and Marcus Holloway black men instead of white men.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By that logic, no game dev should ever make games featuring dedicated female protagonists, since a male protags would "always sell more". Fortunately, the makers of Mirrors Edge, Horizon, Tomb Raider, etc. have decided to "take those risks". Hell, even Ubisoft did, too, by making Bayek and Marcus Holloway black men instead of white men.
True. I guess I'm just judging Assassin's Creed as more of a "dudebro" franchise like Call of Duty. Maybe that isn't fair to it, I dunno. I admittedly haven't played one in a while.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... Who's doing that now?
Guess you must have missed the thread, lots of gaming sites, lots of reviewers and gaming personalities on twitter and youtube saying if you played Alexios 'you did it wrong' as if you should automatically play the female option out of obligation just because the option is there.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Curious to see how marketing did/did not affect this, as I remember most of it revolving around Alexios rather than Kassandra. Granted, Marketing vs. Playable Representation are related yet separate issues, it would still be interesting to see the effect of one on the other.
Yeah, Alexios was presented as the default choice in pretty much all marketing material, including the front cover of the game itself. Hardly surprising that most players then chose to play as Alexios. I'll also wager that most meal purchases in Burger King include a burger, and not a chicken sandwich.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
If I can chose I usualy pick men just due to me being a man.

Pretty much. I like playing as a man because that's who I am, and identify with. Played as Male-Shep for example and regret nothing. It's easier for me to "roleplay" and to get "into it" this way.

However, if there is no option (e.g. Bayonetta, Beyond Good & Evil, Mirror's Edge) it's cool stuff, let's kick some ass as a lady.

All in all, I don't care, I just want to play good video games. So if there's only a female character, that won't stop me and it won't reduce the experience or anything like that.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I didn't play the game but I got a question : Why are people saying "Kassandra is more fun/the better character" ?
Doesn't both Alexios and Kassandra have the exact same story/dialogue/personnality ? I remember Ubisoft saying that they're the same character basically.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Its the same sort of numbers as Dragon age gets, which makes sense to me.

Seems like a solid number that should encourage them to keep the feature