• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand this attack at all. Not just the utterly senseless act of targeting a hospital of pregnant women and newborn babies but what on earth was this fucker even planning to do? What agenda does this fulfill?

I drove past the cordoned off road near Sefton Park just before and the police presence is even greater now than it was last night, it worries me that they've uncovered a major plot here

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
They released the guy's name (not printing it) and said they found a make shift bomb factory at his flat. This could have been much worse. That cab driver is a quick thinking hero. Probably saved a ton of lives.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Absolute hero the driver, hard to even think about how terrible this could have been. I hope the rat had enough time to realize it's only blew up in his face.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot to take in with the story, if the reports are accurate the driver is a hero but from the footage I'm not sure if the 'locked him in and drove away from danger' reports are true, the blast is before the car even comes to a stop.

I wonder if we got lucky here and the terrorist was going inside and detonated in error too early.

There's a lot of gymnastics going on on twitter since the Christian convert news came out, of course religion is now irrelevant and actually just an Islamic smoke screen and under cover agent

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's a lot that's unknown as of yet here, so I won't fault certain aspects of the press from being reserved in their reporting.

Just glad that the driver managed to escape and that it appears to have been thwarted.

Edit: Also seems like the 4 men arrested earlier in connection have been released without charge, per BBC.

"Four men arrested in Liverpool under the Terrorism Act have been released from police custody without charge."

www.bbc.co.uk

Liverpool Women's Hospital explosion: Police name suspect killed in blast

Emad Al Swealmeen died when his homemade bomb exploded outside a Liverpool hospital, police say.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Who uses a taxi as a car bomb? Doesn't make any sense.I wonder how the taxi driver found out about the bomb as well, the perpetrator must have told him?

I wonder if this case is more about a mental health crisis episode than any other reason.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reluctant to point to mental health issues because it is often used as an excuse to ignore non-Islamic terrorism, nevertheless it does seem that he was sectioned under the mental health act and loved an extremely difficult life. I am obviously not giving any sympathy to this because it is absolutky horrific, but I would like to know what lead us to raise the threat level because the public ally available information suggests it was one person… If, as it seems, this may be Christian fundamentalism, then going at far as to try and attack a mattt we both ward suggests a huge fucking worry to us all of there are more people linked.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm reluctant to point to mental health issues because it is often used as an excuse to ignore non-Islamic terrorism, nevertheless it does seem that he was sectioned under the mental health act and loved an extremely difficult life. I am obviously not giving any sympathy to this because it is absolutky horrific, but I would like to know what lead us to raise the threat level because the public ally available information suggests it was one person… If, as it seems, this may be Christian fundamentalism, then going at far as to try and attack a mattt we both ward suggests a huge fucking worry to us all of there are more people linked.
The threat level was raised due to 2 major terror attacks (MP David Amess' murder and this) within a month more than anything I believe.

Oct 27, 2017
Unconfirmed reports coming out that the man was a Christian convert (anti-abortion terrorist?).
I wonder what the usual suspects will say if it's confirmed to not be related to Islamic fundamentalism.

Regardless, no faith leaves room for cowardly attacks like these. They represent a threat to us all.

Edit: confirmed now to Christian convert: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/15/liverpool-suicide-bomber-became-christian/
Is UK like the US? Where white nationalism and Christian wacko are the majority of terrorists. But it only gets called terrorism when it is Islamic.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
If it was anti-abortion radicalisation does this womans hospital have an abortion clinic? That would sound like their target rather than newborns/heavily pregnant woman themsevles? Super weird thing to be radicalise to the point of wanting to kill people over it. What a fucking world.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
This is Europe, we call those "any hospital."
Yea I'm from europe. Wording it in terms the ruling class USetera understands. Even then some hospitals will have them but in outpatient buildings not at the main hospital wasn't sure if this hospital had one on premise but as it's a womans hospital is would be ludicrous if it didn't.

Just seeing this story now and most of the comments seem to be about targeting newborns which I didn't think made sense but then again terrorists often commit the same acts that they say they are fighting against and justify it in some insane way.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Why would it be Christian fundamentalism? Because he converted a few years ago? A bit of a wild leap of logic there

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think there's enough info to suggest a motive just yet.

Probably better to wait and see what comes out.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
It's a bit silly for people to claim an Islamist motive by assuming he only converted to bypass the asylum system. Clearly he didn't value his religion enough that he got baptised and converted.