• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
This. I don't know why so many people are expecting AC to skip another year. If they skipped this year the next AC would have a five year development cycle. Origins was rumored to be the start of a trilogy, so I expect part two this year and part three next year. If we get another break it will be after the trilogy ends to give the Origins team another year to work on the first next gen installment.
I like you.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They had to delay it because early in development the team understood that it's gonna be a game about navel battles.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
As long as what they show next month is worthwhile, I can wait for the next fiscal year.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Good delay it so I can get off the boat and walk around, I feel like 2 years is a reasonable amount of time to put in a single player mode but then again I know nothing.
How many units did for Honor sale ? I keep thinking 7 million but I think that was registered users maybe 5 million?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good delay it so I can get off the boat and walk around, I feel like 2 years is a reasonable amount of time to put in a single player mode but then again I know nothing.
How many units did for Honor sale ? I keep thinking 7 million but I think that was registered users maybe 5 million?
First I'm hearing you can't get off the boat. That would be really lame. So it's just naval battles? No other pirate activities? Meeeeeh

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
In the Ubi holiday earnings call, earlier this year, didn't Yves suggest 2018 would focus on DLC for Origins and made no mention of the franchise returning to annual release schedule?

I mean I hope AC comes again this yeah but there's not many solid leaks for this leaky franchise

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely knew nothing about this game, which surprises me because I've really grown to love Ubisoft as a developer.

Oct 26, 2017
So, did you think Yves was lying when he said Splinter Cell was still getting pitches? The belief that it's Splinter Cell is baffling to me, honestly.

FWIW, the Splinter Cell team seemed to pitch a new IP to Ubisoft several years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft decided to retool that new IP back into Splinter Cell after seeing the demand for Splinter Cell.

•Lead a team of 20+ senior developers alongside the Art Director.
•Built core 3Cs around a new shooting mechanic / gameplay loop.
•Designed and built PvE & PvP game modes to showcase new gameplay.
•Presented game pitch and gameplay prototypes to Ubisoft execs in Paris.

This is listed as "unannounced project" instead of cancelled project so I would guess it might still be happening.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-carrillo-719b635/

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
In the Ubi holiday earnings call, earlier this year, didn't Yves suggest 2018 would focus on DLC for Origins and made no mention of the franchise returning to annual release schedule?

I mean I hope AC comes again this yeah but there's not many solid leaks for this leaky franchise
A bunch of people were very vehement that this was 100% not what he meant when he said that, presumably because they knew of a 2018 AC game.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm expecting this to be greatly expanded into something resembling a more open world online adventure game (like Sea of Thieves) instead of just ship-based multiplayer matches. Pirate Division or Pirate Destiny, if you will.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
First I'm hearing you can't get off the boat. That would be really lame. So it's just naval battles? No other pirate activities? Meeeeeh

Seemingly, PvE content will let you get off the boat. They really should've shown that last year. 'Cause a game where you spend ALL your time on a ship is not interesting at all. Actually Nirolak, where'd you hear of this?

FWIW, the Splinter Cell team seemed to pitch a new IP to Ubisoft several years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft decided to retool that new IP back into Splinter Cell after seeing the demand for Splinter Cell.

This is listed as "unannounced project" instead of cancelled project so I would guess it might still be happening.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-carrillo-719b635/

Huh. If that's the case then I guess Splinter Cell is possible, but I wouldn't say it's the game we're getting for the fall.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Seemingly, PvE content will let you get off the boat. They really should've shown that last year. 'Cause a game where you spend ALL your time on a ship is not interesting at all. Actually Nirolak, where'd you hear of this?
IIRC they said it was all on the boat, but they said in their interviews that there was a bunch of PvE stuff.

Maybe that's changed since then.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. That's a huge change in scope and I'd say 4m is actually too low if its a proper pirate game. If this is just an excuse to get people to stop complaining about ship to ship combat then their estimates are about right.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
When people said they wanted a pirate game, I'm not sure this is what they meant.
Ok? Then don't buy this since this isn't attempting to be that game. It's not solely on Ubisoft's shoulders to make a AAA 1P Pirate game. They've done that once before already.

It actually should be praised that the biggest non-1P developer is doing something more niche and specialized instead of just making Far Cry Pirates.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Ok? Then don't buy this since this isn't attempting to be that game. It's not solely on Ubisoft's shoulders to make a AAA 1P Pirate game. They've done that once before already.

It actually should be praised that the biggest non-1P developer is doing something more niche and specialized instead of just making Far Cry Pirates.

I mean. I'm not buying it. But what you're saying is silly. I would be interested in being a pirate along the lines of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag but without the assassin junk. This is a lost sale because to me (and many) Ubisoft didn't build their game right. And if it were another publisher that'd be fine, but Ubi usually aims for big sales. Why do you think this is targeting 4m instead of 8-12?

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
Source: https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/comsite_common/en-US/images/05ubisoft fy18 english final_tcm99-324412_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

Previously:
23 million across 4 games

Now:
19 million across 3 games (The Division 2, The Crew 2, and Mystery Game)

The Division 2 is probably March, so I'm guessing that's partial LTD sales expectations, but you might be able to work out sales expectations for their other games based on this.
I am still believing in Ubisoft doing the right thing and the unannounced franchise title is Splinter Cell. I assume they have high expectations for Division 2 here, I do not see the Crew 2 selling like gangbusters.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean. I'm not buying it. But what you're saying is silly. I would be interested in being a pirate along the lines of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag but without the assassin junk. This is a lost sale because to me (and many) Ubisoft didn't build their game right. And if it were another publisher that'd be fine, but Ubi usually aims for big sales. Why do you think this is targeting 4m instead of 8-12?
I'm silly because I don't go in to threads of games and complain when they aren't making the game that I want?

Ubisoft makes tons of different types of games. Why is the game targeting 4 million copies sold? Probably because this is a much smaller scale project with a lot smaller budget than what they usually make?

And that's okay.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm silly because I don't go in to threads of games and complain when they aren't making the game that I want?

Ubisoft makes tons of different types of games. Why is the game targeting 4 million copies sold? Probably because this is a much smaller scale project with a lot smaller budget than what they usually make?

And that's okay.

I said what you were saying was silly. I didn't call you silly. There's a difference. Especially because this game could be the game you want and the game that I want.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Ubisoft is clearly making Splinter Cell. I just don't believe it's coming out this fiscal year.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance Ubi skips the holiday season to avoid some of the heavier hitters and drops Crew 2 this summer, Division 2 and the next AC early next year?

Otherwise, I don't see how the conclusion from this can be anything other than "AC is coming out this fall."

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see the massive appeal of only online ship-to-ship battles nor people clamoring for just that. It seems too niche for such a large projected base. If it was a more fleshed out pirating game (for all we know it could be) then I could see it at least coming close, but not based on what they showed off in the past.

I feel like For Honor has more more depth.
4 million is not big for a game that's coming out on platforms with more than 100 million install base combined...even for a niche title. Ubisoft has a knack for supporting their games and positive post launch vibes. It'll hit that target easily as long as the game is good.

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
AHAHAHAHA. The Crew 1 did great, expect TC2 to do better.
the crew sold ok, but did not retain very well, even after hitting games with gold on Xbox. I hope they all sell well and have player bases. I think Ubisoft is the rare pub/dev that actually has been taking chances and trying new things. The crew is different then the other racers out there, For Honor is unique, even if it was not for me, Steep wasn't something I heard a clamor for but was well received, even skull & bones is different than your usual fair, however the delay may hurt as there are starting to be other options for ship warfare/pirate games.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing Ubisoft is beginning to realize these games need more content in the beginning. The framework around this title came across as an enhanced version of Black Flag sea battles. People expect more from a $60 title, this is why Rainbow Six and For Honor both struggled at first.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
This would make sense.

Looking at their slate, The Crew shipped around 2 millions, so I assume The Crew 2 may go to 4 maybe 5 millions. We got the Division with no solid numbers, but it must be +5 millions, I'd wager The Division 2 may do the same. Only Assassin's Creed could make for around 9 millions of the projections, I want Splinter Cell too, but It can't make these numbers.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
This would make sense.

Looking at their slate, The Crew shipped around 2 millions, so I assume The Crew 2 may go to 4 maybe 5 millions. We got the Division with no solid numbers, but it must be +5 millions, I'd wager The Division 2 may do the same. Only Assassin's Creed could make for around 9 millions of the projections, I want Splinter Cell too, but It can't make these numbers.
I'm not sure on the numbers for division but it sold like 5 million it's first week and over 20 million registered users, even with a ton of free weekends it's moved I'd say 7-10 million copies.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Not that I know of. Just online naval battles.

maybe that's what they're looking into? it really was just For Honour with boats (i love for honour). I don't really see what the delay could be otherwise if not to add content. what they showed off at e3 didn't look like it was super ambitious on a technical scale or content wise. Am definitely interested in it though