• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Taken from: https://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport/status/1452349416476749837
unknown.png

via Madjoki

So you see, it's not Ubi's fault their games run like crap. It's you trying to use exotic programs like Discord or Skype, see?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
So, if I delete every app on my PC their games won't be an unoptimized mess?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lololololololololololololololol

yeah we're gonna need you to uninstall chrome and edge too please

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Considering there's ubisoft games that run pretty shitty on geforce now without any of that shit running I'm gonna say they're full of shit too OP. They literally can't work out why so many of their pc ports run like shit so just threw everything out as a reason so for most people something is on the list haha.

Pretty sure if I try their games on geforce now with the 3080 set up soon then it'll also still have issues.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
So they basically looked at every crash log, saw that many people have Discord and OBS on in the background, clapped their hands and went "welp, that solves the problem".

Oct 27, 2017
They want you to download more VRAM

Also, RGB was supposed to add more FPS to your games but now Ubisoft is saying that can actually impact performance

Bancho

Oct 28, 2017
Someone needs to do a Video, of a bone stock installation with no apps and see how the games perform.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Add to the list a USB connected Dualsense. The Ubisoft Connect client will respond with such a lag at login, youd believe youre playing a game with 1000 ping. After login, it just crashes.

Ubisoft connect is a piece of shit.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of funny how matter-of-factly they've written this list without getting into the 'why' of things for users to explore and better understand.

With that said...

...Overwolf can't hook to every game and might cause intermittent issues with some games the same way that Steam Overlay isn't totally consistent across every game and engine.

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner are exceptionally useful tools which still don't necessarily function as expected with every game - and uninitiated or inexperienced users can fuck up their own experience by using an improper mix of Rivatuner/ingame/GPU driver settings.

BitTorrent and uTorrent, in addition to p2p clients that are actually good and worth using such as qBittorrent, can create unfavorable network situations, especially if not configured properly with avoiding network congestion in mind (and I assume most aren't). As an aside, I don't know how uTorrent is still so prevalent. It hasn't been good since 2.2.x. It's been adware ever since since. Just an insecure performance-impacting heap of ads and clutter no different from BitTorrent and Azureus/Vuze. Do yourself a favor and spend the time to migrate your torrents over to something like Deluge, or qBittorrent, or Transmission.

Razer Synapse and Razer Central apps in general are known to cause extremely strange issues relating to performance and input consistency across a variety of games, and disabling Razer Cortex/Razer Synapse have literally become my first troubleshooting step whenever I run into performance issues with a game. I'm actually not sure why I haven't just uninstalled that stuff yet.

never had a problem with f.lux but if it functions similarly to a reshade post-processing layer, then I could imagine unexpected consequences when running it over some games

Nexus Launcher is a bit of a strange inclusion, never had a problem there, but I know that some within Nexus modding communities actively prefer and suggest the use of other more specialized mod management tools so maybe I just don't know enough about how that works to argue against its inclusion on a list like this

a tunneling service like Hamachi can create nat/port forwarding issues for users that can be difficult to troubleshoot and fix if you're not fairly familiar with how it works and how to configure it (and your router/network)

Virtualising software is its own can of worms, I don't really understand why it's on this list though

...so with the exception of the listed VoIP applications (which i'm gonna use period unless they outright break shit) and the streaming applications (which are generally known to impact performance if they're running on the same computer that the game is), that list just seems like a solid list of programs for PC novices to single out when troubleshooting performance/network/stability issues - even if the list itself is unfortunately bereft of explanation for why those programs might be causing such issues.

That's not to excuse Ubisoft games for their apparent bugginess or instability (though I don't actually play enough Ubisoft games on PC to have an opinion on them one way or another). Just saying that as someone who's been gaming on PC for a decade, and troubleshooting throughout, I'm familiar with scenarios in which many of those programs could (and have) caused issues with games.

That table's missing a row:

DRM that punishes everyone but the piratesDenuvo, VMProtect
lmao that's true

Last edited:

Det

Jul 30, 2020
So what they are trying to say is, their games are so unoptimized, you can't run any other program in the background. Got it, quite the self-own.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taken from: https://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport/status/1452349416476749837
unknown.png

via Madjoki

So you see, it's not Ubi's fault their games run like crap. It's you trying to use exotic programs like Discord or Skype, see?

Weird thread. All these things can interfere with -ANY- game. Does not mean they do, just they can. They're pointing it out to give people first steps when they're trying to troubleshoot some issues.

God damn "bitch eating crackers" syndrome on this forum sometimes.

I've had so many issues with Razer Synapse in the past for example, completely randomly breaking games - and it took forever to figure that out. A list like this would've helped me save a lot of time lol

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Weird thread. All these things can interfere with -ANY- game. Does not mean they do, just they can. They're pointing it out to give people first steps when they're trying to troubleshoot some issues.

God damn bitch eating crackers syndrome on this forum sometimes.

I've had so many issues with Razer Synapse in the past for example, completely randomly breaking games - and it took forever to figure that out. A list like this would've helped me alot.
Except the thing most likely causing performance issues isn't discord or your mouse software, it's their DRM upon DRM

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just boilerplate support language where they're listing everything that has caused problems with any of their games. It's a long list because they have a lot of games

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

I've had so many issues with Razer Synapse in the past for example, completely randomly breaking games - and it took forever to figure that out. A list like this would've helped me save a lot of time lol
True. All this is pretty on point and stuff like Afterburner and Rivatuner has broken plenty of stuff before. Can't launch a game? Probably Afterburner. The Ascent is an example.

Also, "breaks"=/="Interfere".

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yea, not sure what this thread is going after. The post and the information makes sense.

* 4 categories in there try to interfere with and inject into the renderer and are known to cause crashes that devs sometimes have to work around.
* virtualisation can obviously install not great drivers and interfere with networking as it can create very weird NAT setups if set up badly.
* VPN and similar apps completely change the underlying networking infrastructure on the machine.
* p2p apps can congest traffic on the PC, breaking matchmaking rules and similar gates that have been set to provide a better experience.
* voip apps can also inject into the renderer by doing picture in picture.

The info makes sense.

This place could really use less shit posting like this thread.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
True. All this is pretty on point and stuff like Afterburner and Rivatuner has broken plenty of stuff before. Can't launch a game? Probably Afterburner. The Ascent is an example.
Master Chief Collection and Wasteland 3 on PC are two games that completely go to shit for me if I have any sort of Razer app running in the background.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Fullscreen overlays mess with quite a few games, especially if they use overlays themselves. RTSS mess with some games, Steam Overlay mess with some games, Microsoft Overlay Game Bar thing mess with some games.

I've had to deal with this for years because of my reliance on Steam Controller, the only controller with a touch pad instead of a right analog (it's so good). I would pay big for a controller like it without it's dependency on Steam. The closest is DS4 and Dual Sense (still have touch pad, and awesome better gyro hardware).

This list is useful, PC gaming have a lot of frustrations and trouble shooting (I love it, it's the cost of this freedom), don't go into it expecting a console experience unless you get something that's designed to only play games with minimal freedom to install what you want, apps not checked before it's allowed to be install in rather.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, all those programs are likely to interfere with games.

And what on earth is that thread title and shitty interpretation by OP?

Why did you leave the part with all the troubleshooting steps?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, not sure what this thread is going after. The post and the information makes sense.

* 4 categories in there try to interfere with and inject into the renderer and are known to cause crashes that devs sometimes have to work around.
* virtualisation can obviously install not great drivers and interfere with networking as it can create very weird NAT setups if set up badly.
* VPN and similar apps completely change the underlying networking infrastructure on the machine.
* p2p apps can congest traffic on the PC, breaking matchmaking rules and similar gates that have been set to provide a better experience.
* voip apps can also inject into the renderer by doing picture in picture.

The info makes sense.

This place could really use less shit posting like this thread.

yeah and most games that have support sites say stuff like this. this isn't really new or exclusive to ubisoft or even games

what the hell is going on itt

are people new to computers?

probably a bunch of people who aren't primarily pc gamers, probably a bunch of people who aren't used to debugging pc games, and probably some people want to air grievances with ubisoft. because again, this is absolutely not new or unique.

Popstar

Oct 25, 2017
never had a problem with f.lux but if it functions similarly to a reshade post-processing layer, then I could imagine unexpected consequences when running it over some games

Depending on settings f.lux will overwrite the Windows gamma once every second causing a stutter in games.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Depending on settings f.lux will overwrite the Windows gamma once every second causing a stutter in games.
noted, and good to know. I only ever used f.lux on reasonably powerful PCs, and I uninstalled f.lux once I picked up my first >60hz monitor over a year ago, because the monitor had blue light reduction features built-in. So I've never experienced that stutter myself (as far as I know), and probably wouldn't have guessed that f.lux was the cause if I ran into such stutter in the future.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017