Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
9ayiweoswfu21.jpg

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the game, but thought that the artwork was hideous (some of those are creatures from my nightmares):
latest

It's a shame they went with such an ugly art style because the Japanese version, Quinty, had art by Ken Sugimori, the artist for Pokemon:
Mendal-Palace-stuff-mendel-palace-22246608-1600-1008.png

Suikoden-Box-Art.jpg

I bought Suikoden back in the late 90s after hearing so much good about it. The game is great, but the box art made me go "What the heck..."
That American Suikoden box art always made me think of Hercules: The Legendary Journey and Xena: Warrior Princess for some reason. It's like the cover is a concept for an American "Suikoden: The 108 Stars" TV show. That or some later 80s Sword & Sorcery-type movie in the vein of Deathstalker 2.

Try playing Chiller on NES sometime
s-l1600.jpg
At least the cover art looks cool.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Probably not near the realm of some of these picks.
I recently replayed Ogre Battle 64 and decided to find any stuff I can about the game. I discovered a JP-only artbook that's somewhat rare and ordered it. This is the art style. It's kind of alluded to in the US release as these tiny unique portraits, but you never really see them clearly.

toshiaki-kato-art-works-palatinus-no-bukunshi-ogre-battle-64-visual-book.jpg

I quickly discovered I'm not a fan of this style at all. I think it's the somewhat generic fantasy army gear and the same stern face throughout that put me off. Plus the artbook was just one full-body artwork of most of the named characters plus a brief interview with some of the dev team. Pretty disappointed.

B-but...this is dope.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Obligatory North American Ico post:

co3r78-500x500.jpg

The game itself is a masterpiece, but the NA artwork is just...horrendous. Neither character looks like their in-game counterpart (Ico now looks like some bratty American kid, and Yorda — inexplicably now a ghost that takes up the leftmost third of the art — looks completely different: eyes, hair, brow, the works). The random blurriness and splotches of color behind the yellowed-for-no-reason logo also don't do the piece any favors.

I would say "imagine if all of Fumito Ueda's games were done that dirty", but I also made this some time ago:

nf46ZDb.jpg
Thanks, came here for this. 👍🏻

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really like 10 out of 10's cover art. Batman even gave it a score of Arkham City, and that's box worthy praise!
It's also funny because it looks like he got cut in the face by all the stuff. "Ah crap, they just keep popping up... OUCH! this one cut me! Now I got blood on my face"

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Everything about Hades is ugly to me. The art the environments the UI. It's just such an eye sore. Looks like newgrounds.

hades_switch_screenshot05.jpg

Like what am I even looking at
220px-Hades_cover_art.jpg
Yeah I couldn't play that for long for that reason among others

edit: Whoops double post. Oh well, this is a great thread and I never understood why double posts were so often corrected. Something I think about whenever I see someone with an edit saying "Woops dp!"

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Just saying, Nidhogg 2 would fit better in a 'best video game artwork' thread than in here. Same with Hades. Some of y'all have no sense of style.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

I remember someone hyping this up to be the Xbox mascot- Mario destroying god game and made their whole identity around that. I hope that person is doing ok. (I don't think Blinx even belongs in an ugliest competition....just recounting something weird that happened)

Everything about Hades is ugly to me. The art the environments the UI. It's just such an eye sore. Looks like newgrounds.

what.....
That's a weirder comparison than some "cal arts" animation critiques.

Last edited:

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
A lot of american snes cover art was fucking awful

latest

I mean what the hell is this nightmare fuel? What was wrong with this?

the-legend-of-the-mystical-ninja-de-super-nintendo-traducido-al-espanol.jpg

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
A lot of american snes cover art was fucking awful

latest

I mean what the hell is this nightmare fuel? What was wrong with this?

the-legend-of-the-mystical-ninja-de-super-nintendo-traducido-al-espanol.jpg
At that time, it was undoubtedly "too cute" and cute cartoons would be seen as not appealing to the at the time mostly male market. Not saying it was the right call but that seems to be the basic thinking behind scrapping most Japanese illustrated cover art at the time...

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Mega Man's ugly box art feels less ugly when a lot of box cover in the US use their own art work
559c7b6b094d6a5adfe01d1c79582534.jpg

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RsSf7uBh.jpg

Box art so ugly it is hard to even tell what the title of the game is.
Epitaph The Rising Sun Twilight Juvenile Highway To Hell Stairway to Heaven Rock of Age Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak Special Gigs World Tour Little Wing We Want To Rock You You Light My Fire Saturday Night Special Shoot That Crimson Sky Ghost (or ETRSTJHTHSTHROATTGHDSGWTLWWWTRYYLMFSNSSTCSG) is my favourite game of all time!

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Back when we first started as game testers at Sony, this was the first game my friend had to test. He had my sympathy.

Wow really? I've always wondered what the hell went on behind the scenes at Sony for any of the Phoenix Games "games" to pass certification. "Games" because they're obviously not games, they're just shitty knockoff DVD movies packaged with like a sliding block puzzle.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden-Box-Art.jpg

I bought Suikoden back in the late 90s after hearing so much good about it. The game is great, but the box art made me go "What the heck..."
I've always wanted to see exactly what the art brief was to the artist for this. I can pretty much guess who most of the characters are supposed to be, even if they don't really look like their in-game models.

The thing that confuses me the most is the monster on the lower right isn't just made up, that's an actual enemy from the game. But it's not a boss or anything, it's just a regular enemy you fight in random encounters, nothing special. Like did they give the artist images of a bunch of enemies and they just randomly picked that one? Was that the only monster they were given?

For yet another example of terrible JRPG cover art, I submit Phantasy Star IV:

Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
What's worse, the game is a top-down shmup.
Yeah, the first Mobile Light Force which came out on the PS1 had the exact same cover art. When you boot it up it turns out it's Gunbird, which looks like this:

latest

On the one hand it's blatantly false advertising, on the other hand it's hard to see how anyone could possibly be disappointed that it doesn't look like the box.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

When people who do art for a living read this types of post... I really cant belive people as you exist. Opinions are whatever, this is not an opinion, you are factually wrong, and i cant even process why you even said what you said.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Legit question but who are the characters there? The top left is obviously Emperor Barbarosa and the top right is the main character. I'm guessing the left one is… Gremio???
Best guesses:

On the left: Barbosa, Main Character (see that he's also on the Dragon flying from the tower), Windy
On the right: Luc, Leknaat, random enemy.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017

It never ceases to me amaze me how consistently wrong people are about art on this forum. The Hades character art alone is some of the most vibrant, unique and straight up attractive shit I have ever seen in a game. The shape language and color choices are unbelievably good. I lost count of the amount of artists I know that were inspired or influenced by it.