Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
It never ceases to me amaze me how consistently wrong people are about art on this forum. The Hades character art alone is some of the most vibrant, unique and straight up attractive shit I have ever seen in a game. The shape language and color choices are unbelievably good. I lost count of the amount of artists I know that were inspired or influenced by it.

I'm not saying I disagree with you because I think Hades looks good, but you're saying countless artists were inspired by a game that is just barely 3 years old?

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
9ayiweoswfu21.jpg
You're kidding right? Right? Might as well post the Japanese Ratchet & Clank boxes while you're at it.

It definitely has that 90s comic with thick shadows look, but it's not ugly, per se.
I loved the game, but thought that the artwork was hideous (some of those are creatures from my nightmares):
latest
Here's a winner for the books, for sure. It always turned me off as a kid. It's just so goddamned ugly.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying I disagree with you because I think Hades looks good, but you're saying countless artists were inspired by a game that is just barely 3 years old?
I'm saying that artists that I know have mentioned the art of Hades as an inspiration, yes. It's possible to be inspired by brand-new things as well, you know.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
I've always wanted to see exactly what the art brief was to the artist for this. I can pretty much guess who most of the characters are supposed to be, even if they don't really look like their in-game models.

The thing that confuses me the most is the monster on the lower right isn't just made up, that's an actual enemy from the game. But it's not a boss or anything, it's just a regular enemy you fight in random encounters, nothing special. Like did they give the artist images of a bunch of enemies and they just randomly picked that one? Was that the only monster they were given?

For yet another example of terrible JRPG cover art, I submit Phantasy Star IV:

Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg
It's a good thing the cover tells us it's THE EXPLOSIVE FINALE!!. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted to see exactly what the art brief was to the artist for this. I can pretty much guess who most of the characters are supposed to be, even if they don't really look like their in-game models.

The thing that confuses me the most is the monster on the lower right isn't just made up, that's an actual enemy from the game. But it's not a boss or anything, it's just a regular enemy you fight in random encounters, nothing special. Like did they give the artist images of a bunch of enemies and they just randomly picked that one? Was that the only monster they were given?

For yet another example of terrible JRPG cover art, I submit Phantasy Star IV:

Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg
I have a fondness for the PSIV US box art personally. I looked into it recently and learned it was by Boris Vallejo, who did a bunch of box art for Genesis games:

Boris Vallejo box art artist page| BOX=ART

The history behind one of America's greatest box art artists, Boris Vallejo.

It's definitely a departure for JRPG boxart, especially when this was the original:
tt61f4qhc5768yrksafd90w9be3b

But I wouldn't say it's terrible. At least I can identify Chaz, Rika, and Rune.
Lots of it is colored by nostalgia though. I'm actually thinking of finding a print of the US boxart at the moment.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Official artwork only, please.

The character designs in the American version of Snow Bros 2 are pretty horrifying:

tumblr_kytxm3ogWS1qarrk2o1_640.png
This is hilarious. Props to using a different picture/game than the ones that have been mentioned like 50 times already and will be posted here again.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
It never ceases to me amaze me how consistently wrong people are about art on this forum. The Hades character art alone is some of the most vibrant, unique and straight up attractive shit I have ever seen in a game. The shape language and color choices are unbelievably good. I lost count of the amount of artists I know that were inspired or influenced by it.

I see this so often that I don't even think it's a Era problem but more of an Internet Discourse problem.

Many simply don't have the mental tools or language to delineate between personal taste vs. subjective value.

So when I don't enjoy something, it's automatically s**t.

Not, "I don't like it personally, but I can see where some could." It's s**t. Full stop. End of story.

I can't imagine how discouraging it must be to be a creative and online. Maybe you just get a thick skin and look past it.

Wish people had more thoughtful communication skills either way though.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I see this so often that I don't even think it's a Era problem but more of an Internet Discourse problem.

Many simply don't have the mental tools or language to delineate between personal taste vs. subjective value.

Not, "I don't like it personally, but I can see where some could." It's s**t. Full stop. End of story.

I can't imagine how discouraging it must be to be a creative and online. Maybe you just get a thick skin and look past it.

Being a creative online is discouraging for a number of reasons, yes. And that is certainly one of them.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Is artistic inspiration really that alien a concept for you? :(

Not at all. It's just that every time I have read about game developers being inspired by games, it takes more time for that influence to set in.

I don't doubt that many people are inspired by Hades. I'm sure people are inspired by Elden Ring as well as new things that just came out today. I was only curious about his use of "I've lost count..."

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. It's just that every time I have read about game developers being inspired by games, it takes more time for that influence to set in.

I don't doubt that many people are inspired by Hades. I'm sure people are inspired by Elden Ring as well as new things that just came out today. I was only curious about his use of "I've lost count..."

But they merely said "artists" and not specifically game developers

And do you think it's outlandish for someone to know of many artists inspired by a piece of popular media, let alone just knowing/following a bunch in general?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Something was seriously wrong with the 3D renders made during Rare's GBA release period after they were bought by Microsoft.

The redone overworld in the GBA port of Donkey Kong Country 3 is especially awful.

Compare it to the original SNES version, it's night and day:
latest

The use of comic sans on Funky's Rentals in the new version is the cherry on top.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Never played it, but I hated seeing this cover art at my local game store when I was a kid
Glass_Rose.jpg

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018

The post says it looked "ugly to me". They didn't say it was s**t. They were expressing their opinion in a necessarily subjective thread.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
The post says it looked "ugly to me". They didn't say it was s**t. They were expressing their opinion in a necessarily subjective thread.

Yeah, that's fair.

I should have stipulated that I wasn't going after the person quoted but instead the theme the one replying to it was exploring.

Oct 25, 2017
Any given moment these hellish characters appear on screen. Even in 2001 this was such a step down from PS1 character models with only a fraction of the polys.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Some people here really has not played a really ugly game in their lives and it shows.

To not derail, western bust-a-move for the PS2.
SuperBustAMove_PS2USBOX.jpg
I never bought this game, but this cover is so iconic to me. I can see it sitting on the PS2 games rack so vividly even today.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Something was seriously wrong with the 3D renders made during Rare's GBA release period after they were bought by Microsoft.

The redone overworld in the GBA port of Donkey Kong Country 3 is especially awful.

Compare it to the original SNES version, it's night and day:
latest

The use of comic sans on Funky's Rentals in the new version is the cherry on top.
The propably had only a fraction of the budget for the GBA games than they had in the SNES and N64 era.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Legit question but who are the characters there? The top left is obviously Emperor Barbarosa and the top right is the main character. I'm guessing the left one is… Gremio???

Best guesses:

On the left: Barbosa, Main Character (see that he's also on the Dragon flying from the tower), Windy
On the right: Luc, Leknaat, random enemy.

Left side: Emperor Barbarossa, Ted (because he's an archer), Windy
Right: Luc, Lekaat/Viki/Who Knows
Middle: Futch, the dragon rider!

Never played it, but I hated seeing this cover art at my local game store when I was a kid
Glass_Rose.jpg

This is gorgeous.