• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Tesla cuts 7% of its workforce, and Elon Musk sees a 'very difficult' road ahead
https://apple.news/AJzC1pj8gSk-lIVDLhBrqzA
"Tesla will need to make these cuts while increasing the Model 3 production rate and making many manufacturing engineering improvements in the coming months," Musk says.

The company discontinued the cheapest versions of its Model S sedans and Model X SUVs this week, and Musk says it will ditch its customer referral program.

Musk says Tesla faces "an extremely difficult challenge" in making its products a competitive alternative to traditional vehicles and energy products.
Q4 profit likely lower than Q3

In its last quarterly financial statement, Tesla posted its first profit in two years, reporting a net gain of $311.5 million and $881 million in free cash flow.

Musk said profit in the fourth quarter is likely to come in lower than in the previous quarter but added that he hopes Tesla will achieve a "tiny profit" in Q4.

"In Q4, preliminary, unaudited results indicate that we again made a GAAP [generally accepted accounting principles] profit, but less than Q3," Musk said. "This quarter, as with Q3, shipment of higher priced Model 3 variants (this time to Europe and Asia) will hopefully allow us, with great difficulty, effort and some luck, to target a tiny profit."

The company disappointed investors earlier this month after it announced it delivered a lower-than-expected 90,700 vehicles in the fourth quarter. That figure could foreshadow the company's fourth-quarter results, which it's due to release early next month.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But its stans assured us it would soon dominate the auto industry brushing the dinosaurs like Toyota, Volkswagen, GM, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Renault and Hyundai aside.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They're losing the subsidizes soon. So that won't help them with sticker shock. But they are still the leaders in electric vehicles. They will be fine.

They are doing this to keep costs low.

They also made a profit last quarter.

Guys, don't go nuts with the hot takes before you understand what you are taking about.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think battery costs are quite where they projected to be for the $35K Model 3.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this isn't some doom and gloom. Federal subsidies going away increased the price of the car which forced down demand. They are trying to lower the price while in parallel lower costs to maintain similar margins that can lead to positive net income. Timing of Q4 and likely results of Q1 will be impacted hy this as they restructure and rebalance the P&L.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The man has been dead for 75 years, how much worse can you get
7% of the work force, damn. This is going to suck for loads of people, which makes this pretty bad news, no matter how you view the company, imo.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
They're losing the subsidizes soon. So that won't help them with sticker shock. But they are still the leaders in electric vehicles. They will be fine.

I think the general public has very little understanding of where electric vehicle tech, affordability, and innovation actually is. Tesla is almost solely responsible for pushing the conversation to the forefront of the public consciousness but when you pull the curtain back of what they are actually producing, its not very pretty. For all the pomp and circumstance and cult following this brand seems to have, Hyundai is releasing a full EV small SUV that beats the model 3 on both price and range. Nobody has ever heard of it and its out in 3 months.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Guys, don't go nuts with the hot takes before you understand what you are taking about.

Just good advice for life in general.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I think the general public has very little understanding of where electric vehicle tech, affordability, and innovation actually is. Tesla is almost solely responsible for pushing the conversation to the forefront of the public consciousness but when you pull the curtain back of what they are actually producing, its not very pretty. For all the pomp and circumstance and cult following this brand seems to have, Hyundai is releasing a full EV small SUV that beats the model 3 on both price and range. Nobody has ever heard of it and its out in 3 months.
I get your concerns, but are you aware of their numbers?

They framing of the article is based on numerical facts and cost cutting measures, but people are spouting out uneducated takes on their health as a company for a simple cost cutting measure.

I get that Musk is an asshole, but don't let that cloud your objectivity about the company as a whole.

Discussion about Tesla's future based on other topics is fine. But the OP (the article, not the person) is talking about real numbers here, which have factual basis and can be factually refuted.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

But hot takes are what pay the bills on the internets.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
They're doing fine, but those cars are not cheap to produce and they have a pretty thin margin on it currently. They can't effectively sell the cheaper Model 3 variants without losing money, but over time costs should come down and they will eventually be profitable.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
China's buying power is shrinking and moving domestic. No one is gonna come out of the next few years without a bruise or two.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I get your concerns, but are you aware of their numbers?

They framing of the article is based on numerical facts and cost cutting measures, but people are spouting out uneducated takes on their health as a company for a simple cost cutting measure.

I get that Musk is an asshole, but don't let that cloud your objectivity about the company as a whole.

I agree generally with you (on most things you contribute to!). There are many hot business takes from people, myself included, that don't fully understand a particular businesses strategy and goals. The numbers that Tesla generates is a symptom of their recognition as the leader and innovator in their market, and not solely on the quality of their output, in my humble opinion.

If we see a future where the quality and reliability of an iPhone goes down, objectively, but Apple still pushes crazy numbers, it doesn't say much about the tech and product itself, or what the public understands about it.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I agree generally with you (on most things you contribute to!). There are many hot business takes from people, myself included, that don't fully understand a particular businesses strategy and goals. The numbers that Tesla generates is a symptom of their recognition as the leader and innovator in their market, and not solely on the quality of their output, in my humble opinion.

If we see a future where the quality and reliability of an iPhone goes down, objectively, but Apple still pushes crazy numbers, it doesn't say much about the tech and product itself, or what the public understands about it.
I think your commentary regarding Tesla is fine, especially as more macro discussion regarding Tesla. There are many concerns with Tesla.

My issue is seeing an article like this and now questioning their health as company overall--not from you, you were looking at the macro.

But cost cutting is standard stuff. The are cutting cost to keep their prices low. Tesla is actually beat investor expectations last year.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This forum has a desire for all things Elon Musk to crash and burn that borders a cult. Tesla is fine, just like SpaceX (which is laying off a lot more people).
Companies shrink and increase all the time, Microsoft recently laid off thousands of employees as well, and yet, is one of the most valuable companies in the world. It's business.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017

You do realize that Hyundai might not be making a profitable car though, right?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Oh that's news to me. They were getting great headlines about the Model 3 sales figures for a while.

They missed the market prediction and the stock value dropped when that thread came around. Some people will tell you the market prediction doesn't matter. I imagine the market opinion/value do matter to the shareholders...just a guess.

DasRavenEra

Oct 27, 2017
RDU
This is just the normal result of increasing competition. VAG and M-B are introducing compelling competition in the EV space.
JLR just launched the iPace to strong reviews and it competes with both the Model X and Model S.

The Model 3 is great, VAG's MEB platform and its synergy with their Electrify America initiative are coming soon.

Economies of scale in production are no joke.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to go back and read that recent Tesla thread that had some disturbingly forceful defenders of the company in it.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i've had a model 3 for ~3 weeks.

I've taken my mom, who drives a bmw, for a ride and let her drive it. She's now considering buying one because her lease is up.
My best friend from austin, wants one, after driving it.
I met my former boss for lunch this week, whom in 2014 was considering shorting Tesla stock at the time, and took him for a ride. his exact words "holy crap, this thing is slick" "i love the minimalist design" "wow" "that screen is amazing" "the seats are super comfortable"

RE getting rid of the lowest level S and X. they got rid of their cheapest X and S, i'll bet anyone that they reintroduce them with larger battery packs. They're constantly introducing new sizing. they had a 65kw S, they don't anymore, they had a 85kw S and X they don't anymore. It was 75, 90 and 100. I would bet that the new ones will be 90, 100, and 110/120.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
This forum has a desire for all things Elon Musk to crash and burn that borders a cult. Tesla is fine, just like SpaceX (which is laying off a lot more people).
Companies shrink and increase all the time, Microsoft recently laid off thousands of employees as well, and yet, is one of the most valuable companies in the world. It's business.
I don't see any post in this thread that indicate this. Also Elon Musk is POS period. If you are disagree, then you are the problem not the forum.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't see any post in this thread that indicate this. Also Elon Musk is POS period. If you are disagree, then you are the problem not the forum.
The title itself is already a clue. I can't find a thread about "Microsoft not doing so good" when they laid off thousands last year. Also, Elon Musk might be a POS but he's the main responsible for the increase in EV interest and in the general population with space exploration as well. And yes, I know he's not there all by himself designing, building and selling cars and rockets all alone, but these are his companies and his contribution to end the more than decade stall on space transportation innovation and creating EVs that don't look like shit is commendable and undeniable.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
just a hunch, but thats probably not a good thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this isn't some doom and gloom. Federal subsidies going away increased the price of the car which forced down demand. They are trying to lower the price while in parallel lower costs to maintain similar margins that can lead to positive net income. Timing of Q4 and likely results of Q1 will be impacted hy this as they restructure and rebalance the P&L.

They admit Q4 was a profit but below Q3...

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who? Where? Can you point me to specific posts?
The thread that came out after the 3rd quarter numbers had one of the regular shills (one of the 5-7 posters who have 100+ ERA posts with at least 95% of them pro Musk/Tesla). In one they referred to all non-Tesla car companies as dinosaurs.

Oct 25, 2017
The title itself is already a clue. I can't find a thread about "Microsoft not doing so good" when they laid off thousands last year. Also, Elon Musk might be a POS but he's the main responsible for the increase in EV interest and in the general population with space exploration as well. And yes, I know he's not there all by himself designing, building and selling cars and rockets all alone, but these are his companies and his contribution to end the more than decade stall on space transportation innovation and creating EVs that don't look like shit is commendable and undeniable.

They're not apples to apples comparison though. Tesla is a company that needs growth and strong quarters, so reduction in headcount and a signal of dip in profits doesn't look great. By comparison Microsoft and GM are 'blue chip' companies so their moves on headcounts aren't seen as dire. GM's were about them acknowledging market change and adjusting.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Once they fire Musk, the company should regain its footing. Unsurprisingly, a Twitter addicted, vain, egomaniacal, control freak undergoing a midlife crisis and doing tons of acid at 4 AM is not a good boss.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They're not apples to apples comparison though. Tesla is a company that needs growth and strong quarters, so reduction in headcount and a signal of dip in profits doesn't look great. By comparison Microsoft and GM are 'blue chip' companies so their moves on headcounts aren't seen as dire. GM's were about them acknowledging market change and adjusting.
But Tesla *is* growing. Workforce cuts are not necessarily a sign of bad performance. Time will tell.