• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think people seriously overestimate how many digital games are sold in the UK. We have pretty poor Internet connections and most people aren't willing to wait a day or two to download 50+GB of game.

What? UK has fantastic internet compared to other countries. A lot of the country is covered by high speed unlimited broadband.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I don't know if it's been mentioned but Anthem has fallen out the top 10 and DMCV is 6th.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe people are finally getting smart about games as a service.

Perhaps throwing $80-$150 at a game and having it still lack content, contain poor narrative structure, disfunctional connectivity, and mediocre gameplay design has finally gone too far.

Hah, who am I kidding, people are gonna throw as much money as they can at these games.

Why wouldn't they when they spend so much time playing them? Imagine that, some people might actually prefer games they acn play for months rather than finish a game in a weekend.

Anyways I think a lot of people just buy the digital version for online games since the game gets patched so much and are not the type of games people trade in after a week. Still, an 80% drop is too significant so maybe more people are skepyical to see how it performs first and it's been very busy with releases lately.

Oct 27, 2017
UK looter shooter physical debuts:

Borderlands 2 ~190k
Destiny 417k
The Division 277k
Destiny 2 175k
Anthem ~42k

So if The Division launched at 277k physical copies sold in the UK, and had a 20% digital share that amounts to 69,300 for a total of 346,300 (Note - the 20% share is made up for the purposes of a comparison).

If The Division 2 had only one fifth the physical sales of its predecessor that puts it around 55,400 copies. If we assume a generous digital growth over the last few years and peg it at 50% digital, that puts its total at 110,800 copies sold in the UK in launch week.

So even if we assume it has done well with its digital share an optimistic outlook still puts it way down on the genre heyday of 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
What isn't mentioned is that physical game prices have actually crept up in the UK as the gen has progressed.

The Division 2 is ÂŁ49 in my nearest Tesco store. I'm assuming this is to offset some of the money lost as digital takes more and more of the pie, as I remember buying physical new games a few years ago at ÂŁ40.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Do people really think Brexit has anything to do with declining retail sales? Because it really doesn't. That would be last on my list of reasons why; bigger digital, higher game prices, getting burned by previous games in the series or games similar to it and F2P stuff like Fortnite and Apex taking up peoples time are the real reasons.

JED BARTLETT

Oct 27, 2017
Belfast
There's loads of factors, but digital I'd getting bigger mainly due to physical pricing getting higher.
Buying physical used to be a lot cheaper, but prices are steadily rising this gen. you'd be hard pushed to find a new release for under 50 quid. Not only that but games aren't being discounted as heavily as they used to be after release. In fact the b3st thing to do for new releases now is wait about 3 weeks where they'll be discounted on the PS store, COD,BFV,Hitman 2 all seen at least 25% off within a few weeks.
There's also the Fortnite/Apex effect, too many games not enough time.
There's one other thing that's interesting, the arse has fell out of the pre owned market, especially on Xbox, shelves in Game and CEX are empty, Game are giving an extra 25% at the minute simply to get games through the door. I'd put this down to both Gamepass and people buying more and more games digitally. The UK market is in a strange place, there's probably more money than ever being spent in it, but on fewer and fewer products.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What isn't mentioned is that physical game prices have actually crept up in the UK as the gen has progressed.

The Division 2 is ÂŁ49 in my nearest Tesco store. I'm assuming this is to offset some of the money lost as digital takes more and more of the pie, as I remember buying physical new games a few years ago at ÂŁ40.

There's loads of factors, but digital I'd getting bigger mainly due to physical pricing getting higher.
Buying physical used to be a lot cheaper, but prices are steadily rising this gen. you'd be hard pushed to find a new release for under 50 quid. Not only that but games aren't being discounted as heavily as they used to be after release. In fact the b3st thing to do for new releases now is wait about 3 weeks where they'll be discounted on the PS store, COD,BFV,Hitman 2 all seen at least 25% off within a few weeks.

I disagree, because it's still easy to find physical copies for around ÂŁ40 online and digital for The Division 2 is ÂŁ59.99.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I disagree, because it's still easy to find physical copies for around ÂŁ40 online and digital for The Division 2 is ÂŁ59.99.
Exactly.

First thing I do when thinking about buying a new game is go to gamecrawler.co.uk and check for the cheapest price. Most I have had to spend recently is ÂŁ45 and that was for Sekiro and since its an Activision game that's not surprising.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I do find it odd how successful digital has been in the UK. I tend to use digital as a way to pick up older games in sales. New games are always ridiculously overpriced on digital, even compared to my local supermarket.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do find it odd how successful digital has been in the UK. I tend to use digital as a way to pick up older games in sales. New games are always ridiculously overpriced on digital, even compared to my local supermarket.

Has it been that successful? FIFA 19 only had a 25% digital split, up from 20% on FIFA 18 (and overall physical sales on FIFA 18 was down). While that's unfortunately the only digital split we had for 2018, applying that logic to the digital splits we saw in 2017 show it's not growing or that successful so far. Not until something changes.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.

First thing I do when thinking about buying a new game is go to gamecrawler.co.uk and check for the cheapest price. Most I have had to spend recently is ÂŁ45 and that was for Sekiro and since its an Activision game that's not surprising.

You can get codes cheaper than RRP to download games digitally too, though. So I don't see why this makes a difference. I paid ÂŁ45 for Division 2 digitally on Xbox One.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
I guess them 6x digitla preorders will kick in anytime soon. I cant find ppl to play main missions on pc hlaf the time. Its ridiculous. Div 1 i had no issues even now.

Really? I got both the PC and PS4 version and apart from the first sectkions I have been on the PS version.
So when I jump on the PC version I'm going to be waiting for groups?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's also easy to find codes to download The Division 2 digitally online for ÂŁ45. It works both ways.
You can get codes cheaper than RRP to download games digitally too, though. So I don't see why this makes a difference. I paid ÂŁ45 for Division 2 digitally on Xbox One.

UK Codes? Because they're the only ones that would be counted in UK charts and digital splits. My usual price search engines are only turning up USA codes on PS4.

I assume it's similar on XB1 after a quick search, although they will redeem without having a seperate account in that instance.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
UK Codes? Because they're the only ones that would be counted in UK charts and digital splits. My usual price search engines are only turning up USA codes on PS4.

I assume it's similar on XB1 after a quick search, although they will redeem without having a seperate account in that instance.
cdkeys usually have digital codes. Most of the time when MS has a bundle with a game. You can find cheaper digital codes for those games.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
cdkeys usually have digital codes. Most of the time when MS has a bundle with a game. You can find cheaper digital codes for those games.

Yeah, that was my go-to before looking at the key search engines, but they only had XB1 version at ÂŁ49.99 or ÂŁ51.99 depending on if you wanted the pre-order DLC.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Really? I got both the PC and PS4 version and apart from the first sectkions I have been on the PS version.
So when I jump on the PC version I'm going to be waiting for groups?
Its hard to really drill down since it's a person by person basis but I've personally had no issues finding players for missions and running into players in the Dark Zone on PC. But time of day, region, etc. would play a part in that.

Jun 1, 2018
most of the people i talked to wont buy the game because they removed what made the first game unique: the snowy city. the new city feels too much alive

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Do people really think Brexit has anything to do with declining retail sales? Because it really doesn't. That would be last on my list of reasons why; bigger digital, higher game prices, getting burned by previous games in the series or games similar to it and F2P stuff like Fortnite and Apex taking up peoples time are the real reasons.
Exactly, Brexit might be a factor in a few years at best.

Don't read too much into the uk numbers. My personal guesses are the uprising of f2p battle royal games, an increase of other gaas titles, a variety of other games to play this far into the console generation etc. I think most people who dab into Div 2 have already played the predecessor. Likewise if you haven't played any Division game before, you're getting a much better deal with the complete Div 1 Edition. Again waiting one or two years will even provide you with a much more expanded Div 2 game for a significantly lower price. The immediacy of purchasing games on day one isn't there unless it's a game like Red Dead, GTA or other industry behemoths.

Also don't forget that Ubisoft has a history of successful long term support for pretty much all recent games. Despite a difference in first week sales, titles like For Honor, Rainbow Six Siege, Assassins Creed: Origins, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division all received large and steady updates. All that contributed to games which sell incredibly well, not mainly within the first week but within a span of years. Just look up the many new updates or modes Wildlands alone received, it's almost absurd.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018

Perhaps throwing $80-$150 at a game and having it still lack content, contain poor narrative structure, disfunctional connectivity, and mediocre gameplay design has finally gone too far.

Hah, who am I kidding, people are gonna throw as much money as they can at these games.

People are finally starting to get tired of all these GAAS games, I think in the few years we will see more of the big publisher focusing their attention back to single player games

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Considering this game is not lacking content I feel like your comment holds no weight.

Oct 26, 2017
It's worth pointing out that The first game released on a Tuesday, where the sequel had Tuesday as its "early access" day with the full release on the Friday.

Oct 26, 2017
People are finally starting to get tired of all these GAAS games, I think in the few years we will see more of the big publisher focusing their attention back to single player games
You can pay the launch day price for this game and pay zero attention to the GAAS elements following launch and you'll still have got your money's worth, the game is huge with a fantastic amount of content. There's only 4 critic reviews up on Metacritic as reviewers haven't even finished yet.
It's also tuned much better in favour of solo players than its competitors, imo.

I agree that games like Anthem have no doubt soured public opinion towards this style of gameplay, but Massive have set the gold standard on how to launch these games so it would be a real shame if The Division 2 suffers for others mistakes.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I'm sure it will do decent shipment numbers week 1 WW but I'm glad these type of games are not taking off as much as we initially expected. Long live the single player games. Hopefully EA realise companies like Sony are making bank off these and that's just from one platform.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's shocking to see how poorly many recent games have fared. I hope that at least in DMC5's case it sells well enough RotW to maybe justify a sequel faster than 11 goddamn years from now. Pretty poor numbers overall, though.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I keep hearing disappointing stats like this specifically for the UK market. Is that market collapsing or something?

Also, for anyone wondering why physical sales are so important for UK market specifically when many people buy digital now, it's because physical is cheaper than digital by a pretty good amount in UK, so people still largely buy physical there.

I'll be honest with you guys, I forgot this game came out

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a limited number of people and they have have limited amount of time. Companies keep pumping out these games that are supposed to be live and populated for years to come. Who is gonna play all of these games?

Back when WoW launched I didn't buy any other game for 3-4 years. I almost missed out entire PS2 generation. Once I quit WoW my interest in other games returned and now I average about 30-50 games bought every year.

Today with all these GaaS titles I see a lot of similarities compared to how it was back in WoW days. I see typical GaaS gamer who just plays 1 or 2 of their favorite persistent games and don't bother with anything else.

Jim Sterling predicted this a long time ago and he is almost always right. Industry did this to themselves.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The game has F2P-tier graphics so I'm not surprised at people not rushing to buy it at full price.

Oct 27, 2017
Is the UK just done with videogames or what? Seems like everything just tanks over there.

The usuals still seem to be doing well along with most releases by Sony and Nintendo, but there's definitely been a drop in a lot of software from major Western publishers of late. That being said I don't think this is exactly a trend unique to the UK.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
most of the people i talked to wont buy the game because they removed what made the first game unique: the snowy city. the new city feels too much alive
Yep this is one of the reasons why I'm not really looking forward to playing it. You can't go wrong with winter NY. I wouldn't mind if Division 2 took place in a different borough or in another city during winter.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
The game has F2P-tier graphics so I'm not surprised at people not rushing to buy it at full price.

Wtf? It looks better then most AAA games out there today. I think you need to get your eyes checked.

Also people who say this is not better then Division 1 are crazy. I have over 500 hours in D1 and D2 is better in every way possible. I am playing on the X though installed on a SSd so I don't have any issues that the Pro has.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
...what? Are we playing the same game
Wtf? It looks better then most AAA games out there today. I think you need to get your eyes checked.

Also people who say this is not better then Division 1 are crazy. I have over 500 hours in D1 and D2 is better in every way possible. I am playing on the X though installed on a SSd so I don't have any issues that the Pro has.
Definetly not true on PC, it looks stunning on my 2080
On base consoles and the Pro it looks really bland with an early gen lighting model, and the pop in is absolutely attrocious. Apex looks way better imo.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
On base consoles and the Pro it looks really bland with an early gen lighting model, and the pop in is absolutely attrocious. Apex looks way better imo.

Sorry I can't fully agree.

Maybe on base but on my X and most PCs, this game looks far and ahead better then Apex(and I LOVE Apex)

I have seen the game running on Pro also and it just does not look better then Apex.