• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, day 1 digital prices are usually a joke.

You can typically find games upto 30% cheaper by buying physical instead of digital. Only time I buy digital is if its digital only or its on sale and the price is comparable to what I can buy it in the shops.
I have no idea about console prices, but on PC you could get it for around 32-35 GBP.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have no idea about console prices, but on PC you could get it for around 32-35 GBP.
Typically for PS4 you can buy physical online for about £40 but PSN, especially from certain publishers, will be £60.

I don't deal with download codes since that's typically from the US so maybe you can get it cheaper but I'm willing to bet the average buyer doesn't go looking for download codes for console games.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shlooters are no more the cool thing.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Competition is fiercer now for online games than in 2016.

TD2 should sell less than TD1 in its first weeks in a lot of countries but positive WoM should give it legs and make it a success imo.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Game is fantastic so far, it feels like everything that people did not like about the first has been refined and made it a better game from day 1.

I hope it draws in more players soon.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If digital sales are at least close to 20% better than the original was, then that would make up for it. As someone who's playing fully solo and has already put in 48 hours since 11pm EST last Thursday night, game is fucking awesome. A few minor gripes but far better than the original and I loved the original game. Hope the game sells extremely well. :)

Oct 27, 2017
No. Every UK physical sales thread is like this. Add to the fact it's an Ubisoft game that ERA loves to shit on, and you're gonna have a ton of crow served up.

UK Physical sales mean nothing. Not a damn thing.

It's the territory where we get some of the most frequent and detailed sales updates. It may not be as thorough as we would like, but it's hardly worth "nothing" when the entire industry is usually so secretive about sales numbers.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Didn't it break records for preorders?
Not sure if I've missed some news, but the quote from Yves Guillemot that I've seen relates to PC only:

"Early indications are supportive, as PC preorders are higher than for the first Division, and preorders on the Ubisoft Store are six times higher. We believe this deal is a long-term positive for Ubisoft."

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the digital ratio is for The Division 2 since they had the early access incentive for pre-orders.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust Ubisoft in any way to let me keep and/or use my games for years and years when only available on their service. Same with EA and Activision.
Valve has a great history and level of trust of letting me keep and access my games. Would it be on Steam only or GoG without uplay I had no problem with it.
What exactly has Ubi done for you to "not trust them"? They've done absolutely nothing and no indication that they are to be trusted less than steam, because the same reason why you'd trust steam to keep a game for years and years (i.e. they've got a good history...applies to uplay too...so I think it's just in your head really).

Even if uplay wasn't mandatory, an Ubi game on uplay would have been far safer than anywhere else when talking about years and years down from now. Because hypothetically of that were the case Ubi had to shuts down years from now it'd go away on other places before it goes away on uplay.

There is a reason an awful lot of PC gamers only use uplay for Ubi games instead of getting it on steam despite the fact that steam provides better services in some areas. It's because uplay is now a proven client.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Makes sense as the first game had so much hype and sold a boatload. People aren't going to make the same mistake twice even if this game is better all around.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I think Sony/Nintendo and Rockstar would disagree.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/uk...th-heavy-rain-about-on-par-with-beyond.45514/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/as...over-50-to-origins-in-the-uk-at-retail.91203/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/uk-physical-call-of-duty-bo4-launch-sales-lowest-in-11-years.74800/

I feel like I've seen this thread about a lot of games, and not just ones that sell poorly in general.

UK numbers seem like a weird number to latch onto and sometimes seem to be used to push a narrative about the overall success (or lack of success) of a game when it's a pretty small piece of the whole picture.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/uk...th-heavy-rain-about-on-par-with-beyond.45514/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/as...over-50-to-origins-in-the-uk-at-retail.91203/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/uk-physical-call-of-duty-bo4-launch-sales-lowest-in-11-years.74800/

I feel like I've seen this thread about a lot of games, and not just ones that sell poorly in general.

UK numbers seem like a weird number to latch onto and sometimes seem to be used to push a narrative about the overall success (or lack of success) of a game when it's a pretty small piece of the whole picture.

Rather than finding any nuance in how such a specific sample might reflect on overall sales, people want to mash their keys as hard as possible to get their hot takes out.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
There was this thread from 2 months ago that reported that 80% of game sales in the UK are digital. I think that has more to do with the decline in physical sales than anything else.
I don't think so. That number includes microtransactions and dlc, so it's heavily skewed. I heavily doubt it's 50/50 like some are saying.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Obviously not indicative of anything. UK retail has proven time and again it's not a reliable indicator of a game's success.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be great if this was a sign to these companies that shlooter market is fully saturated and it is not necessary to make anymore

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the territory where we get some of the most frequent and detailed sales updates. It may not be as thorough as we would like, but it's hardly worth "nothing" when the entire industry is usually so secretive about sales numbers.

It's great that they give numbers, and it would be nice if everyone else did to. But time and time again we see lower physical sales than the game before it and time and time again it meant nothing in the bigger picture. Even with the difference in price the digital sales of these games, especially online games, is vastly higher than in years past. Also, I don't know what's going on in the UK, but the sales numbers there rarely point to how a game is going to do. Remember the Destiny 2 UK sales thread?...total embarrassment. Bomba this and bomba that, and the game was the biggest PC release in Activision history and was the second best selling game of 2017, only behind CoD.

Would be great if this was a sign to these companies that shlooter market is fully saturated and it is not necessary to make anymore

Fully saturated how? You can count them on one hand. And two of them are direct sequels. Just because you don't like a genre doesn't mean games shouldn't be made in it.

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
I bought digital because I knew I would play it.

I doubt digital will make up the sales, though. The first one was new and fresh even though it fell short from the E3 reveal.

Division 2 is everything I thought it would be so Ubisoft should be happy.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fully saturated how? You can count them on one hand. And two of them are direct sequels. Just because you don't like a genre doesn't mean games shouldn't be made in it.
Two came out within last two months, in addition to those already existing. Every one of these games is supposed to become our "second job", they want people to play them for years, but somehow they also want people to keep buying new ones. Huh.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There was this thread from 2 months ago that reported that 80% of game sales in the UK are digital. I think that has more to do with the decline in physical sales than anything else.

Even in that article, when it comes to a split for the largest selling AAA game in the UK for 2018, it was still only 25% digital. That number include mixrotransactions and DLC and the like.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
UK sales are indicative of nothing, but there is a strange quiet around TD2's release. Impressions seems to be positive for the most part, but I feel as if talk is already dying down

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Division 2 proves you wrong. As do other recent games.

Fair enough, but there's nothing public so we were never going to get the picture. Am pretty shocked that people would pay £20 extra just to download something. Seems like utter lunacy and we'll just get worse prices as a result.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
What exactly has Ubi done for you to "not trust them"? They've done absolutely nothing and no indication that they are to be trusted less than steam, because the same reason why you'd trust steam to keep a game for years and years (i.e. they've got a good history...applies to uplay too...so I think it's just in your head really).

Even if uplay wasn't mandatory, an Ubi game on uplay would have been far safer than anywhere else when talking about years and years down from now. Because hypothetically of that were the case Ubi had to shuts down years from now it'd go away on other places before it goes away on uplay.

There is a reason an awful lot of PC gamers only use uplay for Ubi games instead of getting it on steam despite the fact that steam provides better services in some areas. It's because uplay is now a proven client.

Not the one you quoted but I have the same trust issues when it comes to Publisher stores.
While I have some games on uplay, I prefer them on Steam, because Steam is not dependent on the continued success of their games. Ubisoft is also healthier than other publishers with their own store, but it comes down to two main reasons

1. Their store is only for PC, but they don't make their majority of money from the PC market, making it possible that they abandon the platform sometimes in the future. (some pubs more than others)
2. One or two mega-bombs could tank the publisher and the store. They don't have a second pillar of income (the 30% cut on third party games bought through the store). So while many people moan that Valve isn't making AAA Single player games anymore, it is a positive thing for me, because Steam is more important for me than Valve games.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
3 -- 7 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

8 -- 9 Super Smash Bros Ultimate

11 -- 10 New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

The UK trinity! I am willing to bet, Nintendo games are the bulk of what companies are selling at retail worldwide. PS and XBOX digital adoption seems to be growing at a huge pace, even quicker than most expected.
I bet retailers are hoping for a quick launch of the new consoles.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Not the one you quoted but I have the same trust issues when it comes to Publisher stores.
While I have some games on uplay, I prefer them on Steam, because Steam is not dependent on the continued success of their games. Ubisoft is also healthier than other publishers with their own store, but it comes down to two main reasons

1. Their store is only for PC, but they don't make their majority of money from the PC market, making it possible that they abandon the platform sometimes in the future. (some pubs more than others)
2. One or two mega-bombs could tank the publisher and the store. They don't have a second pillar of income (the 30% cut on third party games bought through the store). So while many people moan that Valve isn't making AAA Single player games anymore, it is a positive thing for me, because Steam is more important for me than Valve games.
Well Ubisoft is far healthier than one or two or even several mega bombs away from being defunct. They are also more heavily invested in PC than consoles for some of their franchises like Siege.

Additionally they experiment far more than other publishers so their chances of not having a mega hit at all for so long that the publisher goes defunct....is not practical. They also do research in game technology that they share and can bank on at any time they want...like they have 4-5 different engine's with extensive documentations allowing a smooth workflow.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Well Ubisoft is far healthier than one or two or even several mega bombs away from being defunct. They are also more heavily invested in PC than consoles for some of their franchises like Siege.

Additionally they experiment far more than other publishers so their chances of not having a mega hit at all for so long that the publisher goes defunct....is not practical. They also do research in game technology that they share and can bank on at any time they want...like they have 4-5 different engine's with extensive documentations allowing a smooth workflow.

I agree that Ubisoft is likely the healthiest storefront apart from steam.
- Blizzard has an uncertain future and even if it was a pc-centric developer, their corporate structure makes it more likely that they could do a 180 on store support in the future if their shareholders think they are not making enough money
- Bethesda is just ramshackles and I have the least faith in them supporting their store just 5 years into the future
- EA is financially healthy, kinda. But they are more prone to AAA bombs and their financial stability comes from mobile and Fifa cards.
- Epic is a company that already abandoned PC gaming once and if they lose the Fortnite money, they will do it again

Remind you, this is not a financial analysis, just my own personal feelings why I don't trust them. I have half a dozen games on Uplay and Origin but I would never start a game catalog there.