Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I've just decided tomorrow seems a good day to finally try Falafal Guys in Leeds

Nobody needed to know this, but nobodies life is worse for it

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You won't regret it. You'll regret that you waited until now to do it.

I'm only in Leeds once or twice a week, and I always forget to carry cash, tend to end up at greggs :(

I'm not a huge salady type but love a good flatbread, enjoy some falafal and all the sauces and all that jazz so why not!

Plus it's much cheaper than Wendy's etc

Jan 20, 2023
i tried to think of a pun for this but instead you're getting a lazy photoshop

Ko7e8Q3.jpg

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some of you may remember my terrible time at a hotel recently.

The wife became determined to try and get a partial refund after the hotel manager cleary tried to fobb us off and hasn't been coming back to us when they said they would so my wife has been going to all of the various groups involved, the hotel, PayPal, the booking agency etc.

She ended up managing too get in touch with a manager at the company who owns the hotel and threatend to get a solicitor and showed she had evidence the hotel manager had lied to us and he came back and offered us the 50% refund we wanted!

He apparently has to organise it with the booking agency but hopefully it's all sorted now. Hopefully we get no more bullshit from them.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Love that Dirty - always good to get a small win even when it's what you deserve

I'm currently sat outside Blackburn station pissed off that for literally the 4th time in a row part of my journey T'Leeds is cancelled

Sure I get delay repay but it's annoying not being able to rely on getting to where you need to - still much better than driving in though

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Some of you may remember my terrible time at a hotel recently.

The wife became determined to try and get a partial refund after the hotel manager cleary tried to fobb us off and hasn't been coming back to us when they said they would so my wife has been going to all of the various groups involved, the hotel, PayPal, the booking agency etc.

She ended up managing too get in touch with a manager at the company who owns the hotel and threatend to get a solicitor and showed she had evidence the hotel manager had lied to us and he came back and offered us the 50% refund we wanted!

He apparently has to organise it with the booking agency but hopefully it's all sorted now. Hopefully we get no more bullshit from them.
In my experience I've found hotels tend to react quicker to issues like this, if you leave them incredibly shitty reviews on review sites, especially the more 'high end' ones. I was double charged once, the hotel dithered, but as soon as I put an arsey review up, they not only refunded the second charge, they comped my stay entirely, if I agreed to remove the review.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Going back a page or two I've been trying to get into Starfield, I appreciate it and want to like it probably more than I do, but for a game that's obviously vast and deep I'm finding it a little hollow and not feeling much urge.

I suppose different things just click for us all, I couldn't ever have too much red dead redemption 2 even when there's not much of substance going on any more but with this I'm just not feeling tempted to go explore etc

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Going back a page or two I've been trying to get into Starfield, I appreciate it and want to like it probably more than I do, but for a game that's obviously vast and deep I'm finding it a little hollow and not feeling much urge.

I suppose different things just click for us all, I couldn't ever have too much red dead redemption 2 even when there's not much of substance going on any more but with this I'm just not feeling tempted to go explore etc
I completely agree with you on this one. I've put 12 or so hours in, but you know what? It's too big. For me, the moment to moment gameplay isn't engaging enough to keep me going. The navigation between menus, starsystems, and loading screens is too much. All the ingredients are there for a good time, I appreciate what Bethesda pulled off, and I especially appreciate they didn't totally throw the RPG elements into the sea this time, but it just isn't for me I don't think.

The aesthetic is really bland too. Like people were saying "NASA punk" beforehand, but for the company that does Fallout and Elder Scrolls, it just feels very samey and uninspired. I don't know what sets this apart from any other sci fi.

To be honest? It just made me want to play Mass Effect again... so I started another playthrough. Man for all it's faults that trilogy is so good.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

I've just been doing an early mission and it says go to 'X' planet, which I've hunted for high and low without success. After caving in and looking online for it there's a completely separate mission I have to do beforehand that shows me where this planet is!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I play a meta game these days. Ride the hype wave of a game that sounds interesting, buy it - or even more insanely pay for early access when you already have game pass.

Then just don't play it

Feb 15, 2023
I played some more Starfield last night, the main quest has some nice developments but it's just quite vanilla. It's turning into one of those games for me that is nicely unchallenging where I can dip into it and do something and let the somewhat bland nature of it wash over me. All the other games I've got are hyper stressful. It's a tinkerers game.

Nov 20, 2017
UK
Had a lovely family break. We'd rented a house just south of Ludlow that has its own private golf course. Absolute joy. I got more exercise in that week than I've had over the last three years and I feel a load better for it.

Got back to a letter from the council containing my OAP bus pass - which took the wind out of my sails a bit.

That intro music from Flimbo's Quest posted above brought back fond memories. When our eldest daughter first went to school she brought back the first drawing she did. Just in case we were confused the teacher had helpfully annotated it to say it was of a playground. But nope, on careful inspection she had drawn the first level of Flimbo. Good girl!
Partner an I stopped off in Ludlow on our way to Shropshire to visit family. Unfortunately couldn't stay long but what we saw and the surrounding area was amazing.

charlieonhere

Jul 11, 2018
I completely agree with you on this one. I've put 12 or so hours in, but you know what? It's too big. For me, the moment to moment gameplay isn't engaging enough to keep me going. The navigation between menus, starsystems, and loading screens is too much. All the ingredients are there for a good time, I appreciate what Bethesda pulled off, and I especially appreciate they didn't totally throw the RPG elements into the sea this time, but it just isn't for me I don't think.

The aesthetic is really bland too. Like people were saying "NASA punk" beforehand, but for the company that does Fallout and Elder Scrolls, it just feels very samey and uninspired. I don't know what sets this apart from any other sci fi.

To be honest? It just made me want to play Mass Effect again... so I started another playthrough. Man for all it's faults that trilogy is so good.
I'm really glad to read opinions like this, sometimes it can be a bit disheartening to have something not click when everyone else seems to love it. I've not played too much, only level 11, but I feel the same way. I skimmed through an article going over the same kind of issues and the sub head was "At least the portions are big", which to me hits the nail on the head.

I really want to like it, although I wasn't hyped at all beforehand, but it does seems a bit shallow, surface level and bland. For me the big thing is the traversal and maps. I still can't really make sense of either, I feel like I'm just getting lost wherever I go. Really struggling to find a sense of place in the game, something that past Bethesda games seem to nail from the get go.

Feb 15, 2023
I'm really glad to read opinions like this, sometimes it can be a bit disheartening to have something not click when everyone else seems to love it. I've not played too much, only level 11, but I feel the same way. I skimmed through an article going over the same kind of issues and the sub head was "At least the portions are big", which to me hits the nail on the head.

I really want to like it, although I wasn't hyped at all beforehand, but it does seems a bit shallow, surface level and bland. For me the big thing is the traversal and maps. I still can't really make sense of either, I feel like I'm just getting lost wherever I go. Really struggling to find a sense of place in the game, something that past Bethesda games seem to nail from the get go.

Hard to get a sense of place when you're zipping around so many of them so quickly. Getting a quest and slowly forging your way too it was why I enjoyed Fallout and Elder Scrolls, you got to know the lie of the land, the landmarks. Spotting Solitude in the distance. Going off-piste in Oblivion. Sure, you could fast travel, but first you had to get there. So far most of the "landmarks" in Starfield are where you land, or a few things across the generated landscapes. Often quite close to your starting point.

charlieonhere

Jul 11, 2018
Hard to get a sense of place when you're zipping around so many of them so quickly. Getting a quest and slowly forging your way too it was why I enjoyed Fallout and Elder Scrolls, you got to know the lie of the land, the landmarks. Spotting Solitude in the distance. Going off-piste in Oblivion. Sure, you could fast travel, but first you had to get there. So far most of the "landmarks" in Starfield are where you land, or a few things across the generated landscapes. Often quite close to your starting point.
It's the double thing of a mostly menu based space exploration (early on anyway, I would imagine it opens up a bit later) and then the lack of town/city maps that baffles me. Only having a text list of businesses in a settlement is nuts.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I play a meta game these days. Ride the hype wave of a game that sounds interesting, buy it - or even more insanely pay for early access when you already have game pass.

Then just don't play it

Been here. Fucking Diablo IV Ultimate edition.

I have no interest in seasons and all that shit, no idea why I pulled the trigger. Got pulled in by the art style and general hype.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Love that Dirty - always good to get a small win even when it's what you deserve
Thanks and yeah, feels good to get it sorted as I know it's been bothering the wife but she has been determined to get something on return because it really was a shitty experience.
In my experience I've found hotels tend to react quicker to issues like this, if you leave them incredibly shitty reviews on review sites, especially the more 'high end' ones. I was double charged once, the hotel dithered, but as soon as I put an arsey review up, they not only refunded the second charge, they comped my stay entirely, if I agreed to remove the review.
The thing is I actually wrote a Google review before we had even left which they saw and acknowledged.

I was very accomodating and said that I would be willing to update it if they were able to sort out our issues but it seems like they have basically decided to ignore it and feel like offering us a free nights stay at the same exact hotel we stayed at for a very specific event and aren't likely to need it ever again.

The hotel manager (one of them at least) also responded to one of my wife's last emails and completely ignored all of the issues we had and instead said he was sorry we had a hot room which we didn't once complain about so they either don't care or are idiots or both.

It seems we weren't the only ones who had bad experiences though as that wife was checking other reviews and there were quite a few negative ones.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022

Yeah you couldn't pay me to play Red Dead and I've very happy noodling about in Starfield.

Jan 20, 2023
Anybody been on JSA recently, or know much about it? got some questions if anybody has any insight

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017

I have no interest in seasons and all that shit, no idea why I pulled the trigger. Got pulled in by the art style and general hype.
Same here, played through the campaign at launch, they nerfed stuff after launch and I just uninstalled and haven't even launched battle net since.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022

If it's any comfort, I was interested in the seasons as I played loads of them during D3 and a battlepass married to that was a natural, non-intrusive fit.

But then they made the first season boring so I fell off hard.

I'll be potentially falling victim to Cities Skylines 2's ultimate edition next, though sort of games tend to naturally be much longer lasting.

Jan 20, 2023
ZNcgYV7.png

this mfer at vodafone just hit me with the tongue out smiley face

just let me cancel dawg please i beg you, you've already shown that there is a zero percent chance you can match the sim only deal i quoted from somebody else (using your network!) so just get it done pweaaaaase :P

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Why do you even need to talk to them, granted I haven't switched in 20 years but isn't that supposed to be automated?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
If it's a 24 month contract then it's not flexible!

Who've you gone for, is it Talkmobile? We got my son a 100gb SIM for around £11-12pm.

Jan 20, 2023
Why do you even need to talk to them, granted I haven't switched in 20 years but isn't that supposed to be automated?

you would assume so but apparently not

If it's a 24 month contract then it's not flexible!

Who've you gone for, is it Talkmobile? We got my son a 100gb SIM for around £11-12pm.

yeah its gonna be talkmobile (or ID Mobile if i fancy trying Three's service)

They offered me: 8GB, 24 months sim only, unlimited calls and texts, no roaming, £11pm

meanwhile talkmobile is 70GB, 1 month rolling, unlimited calls and texts, EU roaming included. £10pm

like, i'm sorry there's just not even a comparison there

Feb 15, 2023
I'm on vodaphone, so far it's automated but I did get hassled. Once you have your pac code that's it, I don't think you need to call or talk. I'm leaving them next week or so.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody been on JSA recently, or know much about it? got some questions if anybody has any insight

[Hidden content]

for 2 - I think it depends if your expectations line up with your experience and previous job history. When I was made redundant a few years back the JSA people took one look at my CV and went 'just fill in the form each week' but no point coming in other than to sign on.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, you can just get your PAC code by texting a number now, when a new network uses it it automatically cancels your account with the old provider.

One of the few decent things Ofcom have done.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB

[Hidden content]
I'm not sure how much help my answers are but I moved what little savings I had(5k or so) over to my parents accounts before I went through with everything, on their advice. But like you say, when filling out their forms they didn't really ask for a lot of information regarding savings, and certainly nothing to do with my help to buy ISA, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I can't see how they'd take issue with that seeing as there's no way to access it unless you're buying a house.

With applying for jobs I was given I think 4 or 5 weeks(can't remember the exact figure, might have been more than that) to apply specifically for the field my previous job was in and once that period was over I was basically applying for everything. I did tell them that customer service was the one area I had no interest in applying for and so far none of my advisors have pushed me to apply for that kind of thing.

Jan 20, 2023
Okay that's good to know, as long as they're not going to admonish me for applying to Head Of <X> jobs and Senior <X> Manager jobs, or jobs in the <anything but customer service> area, and be like "dude mcdonalds are always hiring, get it done"

which it sounds like, then that's okay.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Back at work after ten days off, bleak. Was it crazy windy in London last night? A huge tree had fallen in the road oustide, near Brixton, and was causing chaos.

Had a mini break in Pembrokeshire, lovely place. Tenby is now in my top 5 seaside destinations.
And the sea was so clear and blue, and warm enough to swim in.

On the downside had the worst pizza I've possibly ever had, went to an Italian by the seafront that was always busy, and the food was abysmal.
Was shocked that they had hundreds of good reviews. Makes me think many of the (predominantly old) people that go there have never had a decent Italian meal in their life.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Yep, you can just get your PAC code by texting a number now, when a new network uses it it automatically cancels your account with the old provider.

One of the few decent things Ofcom have done.

That's good because otherwise my input into that chat will be pasting "Please provide the PAC code" as the answer to every line much like that time Paxman asked the same question 22 times.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Pretty soon I will probably get a letter inviting me for my flu jab, been getting it for 4 years now, maybe 5.

Last time I got the flu jab and COVID booster at the same time.

On a related Note, I'm not looking forward to work as pretty soon I will have to hear antivaxxer bullshit, there's always at least one story or someone who had a bad reaction to a vaccine and swore off vaccines and falling down the rabbithole.

Feb 15, 2023
Who is good at the moment, sim only? Moving from Vodafone. Not been travelling much but relaxing would be nice when visiting family overseas.

Half a mind to just consolidate and go with EE.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
all much of a muchness honestly. check who has decent signal, or provides wifi calling/visual voicemail/insert feature important to you here

I'm with vodafone along with wife and daughter but my daughters sim was from mobiles.co.uk

Jan 20, 2023
Who is good at the moment, sim only? Moving from Vodafone. Not been travelling much but relaxing would be nice when visiting family overseas.

Half a mind to just consolidate and go with EE.
www.uswitch.com

SIM Only Deals: Compare our best in May 2024 - Uswitch

Compare our cheapest 2024 SIM only deals and save money with all the major UK networks including O2, Lebara Mobile, Lyca Mobile, Vodafone and more.

all the small brands use the big brands networks, and are cheap as fuck, so seems like a no brainer to go with them as i just did

loads of them include roaming as standard on their cheapest plans too, which vodafone do not