• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Yesterday morning Liz Truss went on Fox News to promote her new book. Convention, if not the basic aversion to shame and embarrassment that governs most interpersonal interaction, usually prevents most authors from admitting openly that they are on telly for the sole purpose of shifting copies and making money. Within half a second of her introduction to a no doubt bewildered US audience, however, Truss was brandishing Ten Years To Save the West for the camera. With this enthusiastic declaration of intent there was only one problem: it was back to front. She turned it round. The cover was upside down.

Eventually the former prime minister got there, still grinning vacantly, not quite acknowledging what had just happened. As a spectacle it was excruciating, but in its utter weirdness sort of compelling. And, to be fair to Truss, it turns out to have been the perfect advertisement for the experience that awaits anyone who reads this confused and confusing account of her journey from obscurity to notoriety.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone here done inter-railing around the Nordics (or an alternate route)? I don't drive FWIW.

Considering it as a change of pace and thinking something like Tromso - Oslo - Stockholm - Gothenburg - Lund/Malmo - Copenhagen - Berlin, probably early/Mid-July for 10ish days all in.

Gothenburg and Lund/Malmo not absolutely necessary, and Lund/Malmo you can get to easiuly ona day triup from CPH.
I've not done those routes, but I have done a fair amounts on trains in those countries... and they're amazing.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Anyone here done inter-railing around the Nordics (or an alternate route)? I don't drive FWIW.

Considering it as a change of pace and thinking something like Tromso - Oslo - Stockholm - Gothenburg - Lund/Malmo - Copenhagen - Berlin, probably early/Mid-July for 10ish days all in.

Gothenburg and Lund/Malmo not absolutely necessary, and Lund/Malmo you can get to easiuly ona day triup from CPH.
I have nothing of help to add other than that sounds like a lovely time.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Chipped my tooth on a freaking seed, so damn pissed off. It seems like every time I try to do something healthy it goes wrong, eat better? Teeth start to break apart (Had a dental check up a few weeks ago and was told everything was fine too), take up exercise? Body in agony over a light jog. FFS.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Chipped my tooth on a freaking seed, so damn pissed off. It seems like every time I try to do something healthy it goes wrong, eat better? Teeth start to break apart (Had a dental check up a few weeks ago and was told everything was fine too), take up exercise? Body in agony over a light jog. FFS.

View: https://youtu.be/qtjqh6IpIbU?t=7

Seriously though sorry about the tooth; it's happened to me twice in the past, and it's genuinely so awful :(

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You know what never breaks your teeth?

Nice, soft pizza.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
It's been quite a while but over the past week I've been chipping away at a Total War: Shogun 2 campaign, playing as the legendary horsey boys clan, The Takeda. They're one of a couple of clans I never won a campaign with before.

Achievement for victory just popped!

I had a frankly transcendent moment during this campaign a few days ago when the daimyo of the Uesugi - the historical rival of the daimyo of Takeda - managed to sneak attack a castle that my daimyo was licking his wounds in. I was outnumbered 2:1 and the Uesugi had superior units as well, yet I was able to hang on for dear life and force a victory. Both our armies were absolutely devastated yet it was the turning point in our war and very shortly thereafter I was able to wipe out the clan entirely.

Was one of those emergent storytelling moments that feel so amazingly powerful, especially with how it was echoing the real history.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
I keep banging my head into the wall trying to get into Cyberpunk 2077. Mainly cos it cost £45. But I just hate it im bouncing off it.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
What's bouncing you off it?

If you're in Chapter 1, just mainline to the heist. Don't worry too much about the gigs.
I just don't care about the setting, or the characters. It feels like I've been dropped into the middle of a story and expected to know what's going on. I also find the combat pretty not exciting, and the setting isn't doing much for me either.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I just don't care about the setting, or the characters. It feels like I've been dropped into the middle of a story and expected to know what's going on. I also find the combat pretty not exciting, and the setting isn't doing much for me either.

The base level combat is kinda dull, but it gets much more exciting when you get cyberwear and better weapons. When you're dashing around and slowing down time and leaping across buildings to shotgun gonks in the face, or slice them up with your katana, it's only beaten by DOOM. But it takes a bit of time and investment to get there. That's not end game stuff either, you can get it decently early.

Not sure what you mean about 'middle of a story', do you mean the lifepath prologue? Nearly all of that is irrelevant to the main story. Or the six month montage? That's basically there to say V's getting started as a merc and doing some jobs, but everything relevant to the plot is shown in game in real time.

Characters and setting are a bit harder. It's an ultra capitalist hell where everyone's out for themselves and eager to make money any way possible, and you can do that by shooting someone dead and selling the video of it to others who'll get off on it. But if you stick with it there's a deep humanity there with many of the characters, their stories are the heart of the game really.

And of course there's Johnny Silverhand to meet. He's incredibly involved in the story and just hanging out with Keanu Reeves is a highlight of the game.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Was in CeX today before going to see Civil War (it was alright), and decided to pick up a copy of Dark Souls... for the PS3.

I don't know why, but I've got this weird liking of seeing games in otherwise 'bad' states, whether that be a poor OG release, or a highly-downgraded port to something like the Vita or Switch. The OG release of DaS is by far the worst way to play it nowadays, and I've never experienced it before as I started that game with the PC version.

That and, apologies to those here who still remember the ZX Spectrum, I've got some nostalgia for the PS3/360 era and all of its technical weirdness. So for me it's like someone buying an N64 copy of Ocarina of Time today.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
It's been quite a while but over the past week I've been chipping away at a Total War: Shogun 2 campaign, playing as the legendary horsey boys clan, The Takeda. They're one of a couple of clans I never won a campaign with before.

Achievement for victory just popped!

I had a frankly transcendent moment during this campaign a few days ago when the daimyo of the Uesugi - the historical rival of the daimyo of Takeda - managed to sneak attack a castle that my daimyo was licking his wounds in. I was outnumbered 2:1 and the Uesugi had superior units as well, yet I was able to hang on for dear life and force a victory. Both our armies were absolutely devastated yet it was the turning point in our war and very shortly thereafter I was able to wipe out the clan entirely.

Was one of those emergent storytelling moments that feel so amazingly powerful, especially with how it was echoing the real history.

Very cool. Unfortunately, to echo real history you'd now need to get shot to pieces by the Oda next, of course.

I'm unbelievably basic when I play Shogun 2 and always go for the Shimazu. Gimme the sword boys on the island and let me creep up to the capital while gathering a load of momentum first.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Was in CeX today before going to see Civil War (it was alright), and decided to pick up a copy of Dark Souls... for the PS3.

I don't know why, but I've got this weird liking of seeing games in otherwise 'bad' states, whether that be a poor OG release, or a highly-downgraded port to something like the Vita or Switch. The OG release of DaS is by far the worst way to play it nowadays, and I've never experienced it before as I started that game with the PC version.

That and, apologies to those here who still remember the ZX Spectrum, I've got some nostalgia for the PS3/360 era and all of its technical weirdness. So for me it's like someone buying an N64 copy of Ocarina of Time today.
You sound like someone who would be way into the PS3 version of The Orange Box.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Very cool. Unfortunately, to echo real history you'd now need to get shot to pieces by the Oda next, of course.

I'm unbelievably basic when I play Shogun 2 and always go for the Shimazu. Gimme the sword boys on the island and let me creep up to the capital while gathering a load of momentum first.
Yeaaaah the Oda kinda ended up falling to the Imagawa early on. I thought recreating the historic triumvirate alliance between Takeda-Imagawa-Hojo would be both amusing and wise during the early campaign to protect my southern border but it ended up being rather too successful for everyone involved.

Shimazu were my first victory way back when. Took me so many attempts as RTS gameplay doesn't come naturally to me but they were great to finally "get good" with due to their island start like you say.

I don't actually rate the sword units that well when a line of peasants with spears can hold them at bay (that and katana combat is a bit of a historical anachronism due to not really being an actual thing IRL) but when I do play Shimazu I always make a point of going full sword for the theme.

Really figuring of getting back into Shogun 2 since my new PC + Monitor. Wonder how it runs on it.
it'll run like butter, guaranteed. Loading times are rubbish as it from before the days of SSDs and therefore not optimised for it, but you'll have all the FPS you could desire even with all settings to ultra.

Looks lovely on an ultrawide too.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
You sound like someone who would be way into the PS3 version of The Orange Box.
The PS3 version of the orange box is the only way I ever played half life 2 and the episodes, since its the only version that doesn't give me motion sickness

The base level combat is kinda dull, but it gets much more exciting when you get cyberwear and better weapons. When you're dashing around and slowing down time and leaping across buildings to shotgun gonks in the face, or slice them up with your katana, it's only beaten by DOOM. But it takes a bit of time and investment to get there. That's not end game stuff either, you can get it decently early.

Not sure what you mean about 'middle of a story', do you mean the lifepath prologue? Nearly all of that is irrelevant to the main story. Or the six month montage? That's basically there to say V's getting started as a merc and doing some jobs, but everything relevant to the plot is shown in game in real time.

Characters and setting are a bit harder. It's an ultra capitalist hell where everyone's out for themselves and eager to make money any way possible, and you can do that by shooting someone dead and selling the video of it to others who'll get off on it. But if you stick with it there's a deep humanity there with many of the characters, their stories are the heart of the game really.

And of course there's Johnny Silverhand to meet. He's incredibly involved in the story and just hanging out with Keanu Reeves is a highlight of the game.
Well, I will give it another hour or two, see if there's more to it.

it'll run like butter, guaranteed. Loading times are rubbish as it from before the days of SSDs and therefore not optimised for it, but you'll have all the FPS you could desire even with all settings to ultra.

Looks lovely on an ultrawide too.
Just tried it, Rise of Samurai Vs Fall of Samurai Armies is basically coughing baby Vs Hydrogen Bomb lol.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Had my first shift at my new job yesterday and I'm not even sure if I'm gonna make it past the weekend. Fibreglass suuucks. I'm not sure I want to be itching for the rest of my working days.

Oct 27, 2017
I keep banging my head into the wall trying to get into Cyberpunk 2077. Mainly cos it cost £45. But I just hate it im bouncing off it.

If you're not liking the setting then that might be the killer issue. It's a large part of the draw for me. I'm a fair way in and I'm fairly ambivalent about the story, I find the UI confusing and the combat fine if a little uninspiring; but the world I absolutely love, I spend ages just walking the streets taking it all in and that really elevates the whole experience for me. When it's raining, with the RT on, just wow. Love it.

I'm enjoying the characters too, currently doing my level best to romance Panam into bed, no idea if it's possible but if my clumsy advances don't work there then I'll sidle over to Judy instead and work my dubious charm there.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Bad people (aka Tory MPs) won't let me say good morning to the thread unless I'm sent £5,000, no, wait, £6,500 immediately!

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
More anti-Sadiq Khan ULEZ ads. It feels so weird to be targeted so aggressively about stuff that doesn't have any relevance to my life.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
More anti-Sadiq Khan ULEZ ads. It feels so weird to be targeted so aggressively about stuff that doesn't have any relevance to my life.
Has nobody told these fucks that ULEZ was proposed and planned by Boris? Yes, that very anti woke crusader was the architect of ULEZ, he just lost the election cycle where it was due to come into force.

The fact that the Tories are now railing against one of their own ideas is typical of them really.

Oct 27, 2017

At this point I'd take a few of those for the change of scene; currently I am relentlessly followed by poorly dubbed AI style adverts for mysterious herbs and bathroom techniques that men over a certain age use to "become a stallion" in the bedroom and "keep their partners satisfied for hours".

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Has nobody told these fucks that ULEZ was proposed and planned by Boris? Yes, that very anti woke crusader was the architect of ULEZ, he just lost the election cycle where it was due to come into force.

The fact that the Tories are now railing against one of their own ideas is typical of them really.
tbh Boris as a mayor and Boris as an MP/PM are two very different people. He spearheaded a lot of stuff that was considered left-wing.

to the point I don't think he has any actual values and just does whatever he thinks will get him power, the toad

At this point I'd take a few of those for the change of scene; currently I am relentlessly followed by poorly dubbed AI style adverts for mysterious herbs and bathroom techniques that men over a certain age use to "become a stallion" in the bedroom and "keep their partners satisfied for hours".
funnily enough, half of the anti-Sadiq ads I'm getting are AI dubbed.

Woke Sadiq Khan doesn't want you to keep your partner satisfied for hours with this one weird trick!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing like that, but on tiktok I'm getting ENDLESS Warrior Protein Flapjack adverts... and I mean fucking endless, like every three or four swipes.

I don't know why it's laser focussed in on it like that, but I'm genuinely tempted to delete my account and start again.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Woke Sadiq Khan doesn't want you to keep your partner satisfied for hours with this one weird trick!

Sadiq Khan is watching you while you sleep. He's like a sleep paralysis demon given human form /s

Update from yesterday's tooth issue - just got it smoothed out at the dentist, the tooth is otherwise fine but the lingering problem is wear and tear from teeth grinding which makes chipping more likely. Didn't realise I was still doing it so I'll have to invest in a lower mouth guard.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
if it makes you feel better, I once had an entire filling come out by eating a basic sandwich

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Going in Sainsburys here during the day is just a sea of white hair down every isle, I know I'll be there one day but they move so slowly and take forever to choose anything

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
flashfoward to Kromeo's future

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
The only good part of Bupa buying my local dentist is that they've separated the roles between the sole nhs dentist doing the check ups and a hygenist/technition doing fillings. Check up today and fillings being done on Monday.
I was expecting the worst to eventually happen when they took over but it working out okay.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
dentistry is a scam
youre telling me in 2024 the options for teeth are - make a hole then fill it with metal (???) or take it out (???)

barbaric

hygienist??? you just clean teeth pal, get a real job

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I know right? Freaking lunacy. Of all the meals to chip my tooth it isn't some chocolate fuelled feast or carb frenzys, it's a freaking salad.

My brother in law chipped his tooth on a Pringle, yes a single Pringle, the crisp known for dissolving the moment it hits your mouth, I have no idea how the hell he managed that but honestly it's a feat that I'll never forget.

Hopefully you can get it taken care of easily, just been going through a tooth infection lately and I have to have a tooth removed soon, the dentist system in the uk fucking sucks these days more than I can ever remember too.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I couldn't get a dentist where I currently live so have to go to my old one, over an hour commute from where I am.
I have to book a whole day off work just to go, so every time a tooth starts to hurt it's a massive pain in more ways than one.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My first gaming thingy was a ZX Spectrum 128K +2

Came with a big book of BASIC and it was lots of fun. People complaining about gaming now and the issues with settings and stuff don't know the struggle of the R Tape Error.
Hah! love these kinds of stories :-)

Although you were fancy with 128! :-) I had a ZX81 and then migrated to a 48k+, which could do quite a few different colours on screen and all sorts!

Always had to use a random tape player and then spend ages getting the volume just right to have a game load rather than crash. Had the volume level marked in chalk on the wheel.

You always knew things were going well if you hit the blue/yellow stripes portion.