astro

Oct 25, 2017
Added to watchlist! Like others I only really lurk here but seems like a good thread to talk in now and then. I'm MC Boing and currently living in London, and the correct answer is definitely bap.

A question to everyone who managed to get NHS help for depression and other related illnesses, how long did it really take for you to get the help you needed? I've needed some sort of help for my mental health for years now but I guess that fear of the never ending waiting list has always put me off.
It can take many months, and even then the sessions they offer are very limited over a relatively short period of time.

I found group therapy to be quite helpful/motivating. There were quite a few options in London pre-covid, not sure what it's like now but they are an option you could consider as a stopgap. Even if you find the idea of talking in a group off putting, sometimes just being around others and listening to their stories can give a feeling of solidarity that can be very helpful.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
born and grew up in Leicester but now live in Windsor.

Its a cob or a bap. Bap is soft and floury, cob is crusty

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a multiple collection of chickens coming home to roost with how bad government has been. Need some big changes, not tinkering round the edges but they'll never do it, just robbery.

Bap is definitely a soft fluffy roll suitable for burger in my mind.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Added to watchlist! Like others I only really lurk here but seems like a good thread to talk in now and then. I'm MC Boing and currently living in London, and the correct answer is definitely bap.

A question to everyone who managed to get NHS help for depression and other related illnesses, how long did it really take for you to get the help you needed? I've needed some sort of help for my mental health for years now but I guess that fear of the never ending waiting list has always put me off.

It can take a bit of time, it did for me a couple of months, I don't know about now or if the process has changed, I was pushed in the was of CBT Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, you can have a look into this before hand though to get an idea of what it involves, they will usually try this first I think before medication.

The first thing to do is admit you have a problem, if you can talk to others first, parents, siblings close friends about your situation, then try to get an appointment with your GP, what I advise is to write things down on some paper before you are talking to the doctor, it can be easy to forget things, try to be specific, It is what I did when I went.

The thing I have found to work with the various encounters I have had with the NHS is you have to put in effort to get the ball rolling and the results you want, it can be difficult, but if you don't attend appointments or try what is offered, they will push you back to your GP, basically you need to do what you can to keep in the system.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Born in the south east, spent 10 years in south west Wales and now living up in t'north west.

It is and forever in my eyes, a roll.

Oct 28, 2017
Moved to Japan but always keep an eye on whats going on back in the UK because I'll maybe end up back there someday. Dread going back, just keep thinking about independence for Scotland. If we had any inkling of what's going on now, back in 2014, just imagine the result!

Regardless, its a roll. Any other way of saying it is just English people trying to be fancy.

640x640.jpg

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Speaking of money related stuff, it's kinda depressing to me how much public transport costs. I have to get a train in a couple of weeks for a short journey that takes 15 minutes and it's £10. Might not seem like much to most people but it's a lot to me. I don't want to imagine how expensive it is for those who commute daily.

We need a poll for that super important question in the OP.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
This thread is a good idea, keep all the misery, disappointment and wrong names for a barm in one place.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else feel like there's no hope left for this country? I used to be really engaged politically but I think Brexit was the tipping point for me when I just had to disengage for my own sanity. I still keep up to date with the big stories but I struggle to think of a positive thing to come from this country in a long long time.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still always vote in every election, and I'm fortunate to live a comfortable lifestyle with no plans to move away, I just feel like we're not even close to rock bottom and that nothings going to change anytime soon. I have zero pride in being British atm.

And on that happy note…it's a roll! 😝

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm 29 and still live with family and am basically a loser lol, I'm fortunate that with my relatively low income I can live comfortably because I don't need to pay rent, but the lack of complete independence gets to me, need a better job, a better social life and a partner, hopefully

Money

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
What do people use to save money?

I use a few different apps and savings schemes to help save the pennies.

Scan your shopping and upload a receipt. Worth about £1.60 a week and about £100 a year with surveys/Xmas bonus'. It's a little old fashioned (can't use a phone to scan) but works well.

Storewards app
Snap pics of every receipt and get coins. Daily log in bonus'. Buy select gift cards like Amazon with coins. Very slow at gaining coins but free money

GreenJinn - The cashback app for everyday groceries

We're tired of coupons for stuff you don't need. That's why we built GreenJinn: to give you tailored offers for groceries you actually want. Join the GreenJinn revolution.
Cashback on certain food/drink. Good way of trying new things for cheaper. Pretty effortless.

TopCashback | Login to Your TopCashback Account

Login or join today to get cashback discounts, offers and deals at over 5,000 retailers. Our millions of members save £100's yearly. 'Cashback Site Of The Year 2024' - Consumer Moneyfacts.
Always worth checking here before you buy anything online that you can't get cashback. From new insurance, broadband, energy switching to just general shopping, you can get some good money back. Good success rates at TCB compared to Quidco. But Quidco go some good additional bonus' sometimes. TCB regularly do £2.50 bonus cashback on top of usual cashback.

Catch all for lots of deals. You can set alerts for keywords to get notifications on items.

The peace-of-mind money app alternative to banks - Monese

Your banking alternative – manage your money the simple way with Monese. Open accounts in multiple currencies to spend abroad and transfer money.
An online bank/card but the key thing here is they often do 10% off promotions on select gift cards for various companies like John Lewis/Curry's/Uber etc

Shop loyalty card apps
Lots of extras you can gain from these like Clubcard Rewards where you can use your points from your shopping and turn these into money off days out or Disney Plus. £8 in vouchers turn in to 3 months D+ for example.

About Microsoft Rewards

Earn rewards with Microsoft. Just by simply doing what you love to do. Sign in or create a Microsoft account and get points for gift cards, sweepstakes, and more.
A little bit of searching/gaming tasks every day builds points that you can use to buy MS gift cards and subs but also select retailer gift cards.

Marked down prices for end of life food from restaurants and shops that would otherwise be thrown away. Get goodie bags of sandwiches, desserts from local places at big mark downs. Random items though so could be good or bad.

www.gov.uk

Get help with savings if you’re on a low income (Help to Save)

Get help with savings if you're on a low income (Help to Save) - how it works, what you'll get, eligibility, how it affects your benefits and how to apply online.
Save up to £50 a month over 4 years and get a bonus every 2 years at a rate of 50% back off highest savings. For example you save £50 every month for 4 years (total £2400), youd get back £600 after 2 years and another £600 after 4.

Switching bank accounts:
Often banks give money bonus' for switching to them. If you can move banks or even create another bank account that you won't use (burner) for the purpose of switching when offers come up. These can affect your credit score so don't do these if you're trying to get finance.

All these I've had lots of success with. There are many more so if anyone knows of others please feel free to add.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 29 and still live with family and am basically a loser lol, I'm fortunate that with my relatively low income I can live comfortably because I don't need to pay rent, but the lack of complete independence gets to me, need a better job, a better social life and a partner, hopefully

Not uncommon these days, you'll get there, keep saving as much as you can, it sucks but the jumping off point is hard with property prices.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does anyone else feel like there's no hope left for this country? I used to be really engaged politically but I think Brexit was the tipping point for me when I just had to disengage for my own sanity. I still keep up to date with the big stories but I struggle to think of a positive thing to come from this country in a long long time.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still always vote in every election, and I'm fortunate to live a comfortable lifestyle with no plans to move away, I just feel like we're not even close to rock bottom and that nothings going to change anytime soon. I have zero pride in being British atm.

I'm never going to have hope, there are many people here who hate me so much they don't want me to exist.

Don't know how anybody could be proud to be from here tbh.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They are bad, no doubt about it but would rather live here than the US for example. I'm just amazed how much they've fucked it and still trucking along. I feel they are scraping the barrel for gold these days after decades of screwing the UK. Chickens are coming home to roost hard, status quo isn't going to cut it. I still don't get how people want to accept this shit, I know 30% hateful selfish scum does it but god damn, it's like slow motion car crash over and over. I think Brexit has forever broken me. You just know they are going to go Brexit, immigration, poor people, transgender people in the next election and the 30% will duly vote Tory.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't learn to drive or move out till I was in my early 30s. Saved all my life though and due to low overheads had money to put down in to my own place. Meaning my mortgage was low and manageable. I can now pay off my mortgage fully before I'm 50.

Oct 27, 2017
Thread on watch.

Did not know about the £150 council tax rebate. I'm Band D so just snuck in. Is it automatic or do I have to apply?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm never going to have hope, there are many people here who hate me so much they don't want me to exist.

Don't know how anybody could be proud to be from here tbh.

It might seem like many but it's just a bunch of scum with a microphone stirring the culture war shit to make people angry. Don't feel like it is an overwhelming majority. They hold the power but they won't win. You are surrounded by people who are nice or don't even think about it because it's fine.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Thread on watch.

Did not know about the £150 council tax rebate. I'm Band D so just snuck in. Is it automatic or do I have to apply?

Depends on your exact council and how they wish to implement. So for some, it may be automatically put into your account, for others it may be deducted from the overall bill, so on. Big thing will be whether or not you pay by direct debit - ie, whether or not the council has your payment info already

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Does no one else say breadcake?

edit: it felt ridiculous before I typed it. Now, seeing it, it feels much worse.
Hull representing, it's a breadcake (I will take Barm cake being originally from St Helens). Interesting how both being cakes I only use a space in one mind.

Last edited:

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Thread on watch.

I think it's automatic, bit of a faff if not on DD which I will sadly do for this year. I will miss the reminder letters and a paying it late every month (And in the last month they chase me for the full amount, of the last month).

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Ain't been too bad for me so far given that I live alone and already lived a simple life.

Bought an elecy blanket last year and haven't needed the heating on. Pretty much paid for itself the first month and I sorta prefer the direct heat. Makes leaving the flat and going out into the cold less of a shock as you are partially accliamatised. Pro-Tip™ Combo an elecy blanket with longjohns under your clothes. #toasty

Switched from landline/broadband (30£) to Three 5G home broadband (18£ after cashback). Ping is shit but the speeds are bloody good.

I drink Way too much coffee so bought a thermal kettle. Needed a new one to replace my ratty old one, spency but it saves at least 6 boils a day. But dumping hot water into a thermos will achieve the same if you have a decent kettle.

Elecy (until Oct) should be going up 17£ a month. Bad considering that I don't use much but compared to others...

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on your exact council and how they wish to implement. So for some, it may be automatically put into your account, for others it may be deducted from the overall bill, so on. Big thing will be whether or not you pay by direct debit - ie, whether or not the council has your payment info already

I think it's automatic, bit of a faff if not on DD which I will sadly do for this year. I will miss the reminder letters and a paying it late every month (And in the last month they chase me for the full amount, of the last month).

Ah, thanks. Yeah I already pay by direct debit so we'll see.

Next thing I need to try and reduce is the broadband costs. It's just gone up (again!) so I'm currently paying about £55 a month to BT for fttc 300/40 which in reality is more like 160-180/40. No other provider seems to do anywhere near those speeds though and being fairly rural my choices are limited.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
From South Wales myself, living on the outskirts of Newport. Got local elections coming up next month, most people are fed up of the council as they've done not a great deal to make the city better for people. They've replaces buses after 7pm and on Sundays with an on-demand bus service, driven by people who probably did rallycross for a living. They've completely ruined the city, we've got more empty shops than actual shops. And the council will get voted back in as usual.

With this energy crisis going on though, i'm fortunate to be on a fixed-rate tariff. It took me back in February renewing my tariffs, i was paying £59 a month DD. Now it's £118 a month DD, and that was the lowest i could find. Other companies like Eon and Scottish power wanted £30 more a month. I mean, i can afford things still and have spending money left after saving (have 2 savings pots, one i put money into now and again and the other is a bank scheme where what i spend gets rounded up and goes into a pot). But i honestly do feel sorry for some people who are having to choose between eating and heating

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, thanks. Yeah I already pay by direct debit so we'll see.

Next thing I need to try and reduce is the broadband costs. It's just gone up (again!) so I'm currently paying about £55 a month to BT for fttc 300/40 which in reality is more like 160-180/40. No other provider seems to do anywhere near those speeds though and being fairly rural my choices are limited.
Seems fairly standard pricing. We only have one real ISP in the city and it's £48 or so I think for 200 up and it does the job. I don't pay for a TV license (Catch up on services that don't need it and YouTube) and living in a hat and jumper and down with lighting in the house.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems fairly standard pricing. We only have one real ISP in the city and it's £48 or so I think for 200 up and it does the job. I don't pay for a TV license (Catch up on services that don't need it and YouTube) and living in a hat and jumper and down with lighting in the house.

I'm toying with ditching the TV license. Can't recall the last time we watched broadcast TV, but we do dabble in iPlayer occasionally - but probably not enough to be paying what, £15 a month though.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017

Scan your shopping and upload a receipt. Worth about £1.60 a week and about £100 a year with surveys/Xmas bonus'. It's a little old fashioned (can't use a phone to scan) but works well.

Storewards app
Snap pics of every receipt and get coins. Daily log in bonus'. Buy select gift cards like Amazon with coins. Very slow at gaining coins but free money

We're tired of coupons for stuff you don't need. That's why we built GreenJinn: to give you tailored offers for groceries you actually want. Join the GreenJinn revolution.
Cashback on certain food/drink. Good way of trying new things for cheaper. Pretty effortless.

Login or join today to get cashback discounts, offers and deals at over 5,000 retailers. Our millions of members save £100's yearly. 'Cashback Site Of The Year 2024' - Consumer Moneyfacts.
Always worth checking here before you buy anything online that you can't get cashback. From new insurance, broadband, energy switching to just general shopping, you can get some good money back. Good success rates at TCB compared to Quidco. But Quidco go some good additional bonus' sometimes. TCB regularly do £2.50 bonus cashback on top of usual cashback.

Catch all for lots of deals. You can set alerts for keywords to get notifications on items.

Your banking alternative – manage your money the simple way with Monese. Open accounts in multiple currencies to spend abroad and transfer money.
An online bank/card but the key thing here is they often do 10% off promotions on select gift cards for various companies like John Lewis/Curry's/Uber etc

Shop loyalty card apps
Lots of extras you can gain from these like Clubcard Rewards where you can use your points from your shopping and turn these into money off days out or Disney Plus. £8 in vouchers turn in to 3 months D+ for example.

About Microsoft Rewards

Earn rewards with Microsoft. Just by simply doing what you love to do. Sign in or create a Microsoft account and get points for gift cards, sweepstakes, and more.
A little bit of searching/gaming tasks every day builds points that you can use to buy MS gift cards and subs but also select retailer gift cards.

Marked down prices for end of life food from restaurants and shops that would otherwise be thrown away. Get goodie bags of sandwiches, desserts from local places at big mark downs. Random items though so could be good or bad.

www.gov.uk

Get help with savings if you're on a low income (Help to Save) - how it works, what you'll get, eligibility, how it affects your benefits and how to apply online.
Save up to £50 a month over 4 years and get a bonus every 2 years at a rate of 50% back off highest savings. For example you save £50 every month for 4 years (total £2400), youd get back £600 after 2 years and another £600 after 4.

Switching bank accounts:
Often banks give money bonus' for switching to them. If you can move banks or even create another bank account that you won't use (burner) for the purpose of switching when offers come up. These can affect your credit score so don't do these if you're trying to get finance.

All these I've had lots of success with. There are many more so if anyone knows of others please feel free to add.

I will also add this to the OP if you don't mind, another really useful post.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I'm toying with ditching the TV license. Can't recall the last time we watched broadcast TV, but we do dabble in iPlayer occasionally - but probably not enough to be paying what, £15 a month though.
Yeah I kinda miss a couple of shows and the odd documentary but 4OD and 5OD (For trash) do me and YouTube fills a gap on documentaries.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Great thread.

Rebate was added to our yearly bill, doesn't make much difference.

It's a roll.

Like a few others (worryingly less and less though) we should be fine to weather this current situation, although our cushion will likely take a hit. Pushing work to provide more support to local charities though, especially the local food bank. It's bloody grim for far too many. Really really need the SNP to push for Independance sooner rather than later.

I know it's hard because they make it difficult to like them right now with most of their output, but I implore you all to maintain your TV license. The BBC should be a symbol of national pride and letting the Tories run it off a cliff is giving them exactly what they want. Support the BBC, get better people in charge and it can return to past glories.

Oct 26, 2017
The £150 council tax rebate was deducted straight from my Council Tax Bill so no money in or out for me, just a reduction in the total due for the year. Scotland though so maybe you all down there in the wildlands have it done differently? Best of luck everyone in the UK, stay cosy and as healthy as you can. As to whether Bap or whathaveyou - I generally call them softie. Were I to eat bacon it would be a bacon softie, not a Bacon Bap or Cob or the like. But I don't eat bacon so it's a moot point on that.
Ah, so this is why my council tax is of £100 cheaper than last year!

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the £150 Council Tax rebate, in England if you live in a Band A-D property and it was recorded as your main residence on 1st April then it should be automatically paid to the bank details used for your Direct Debit (as long as the name on the bank account matches the name of someone on the bill). Worth noting you can still get the payment even if your house is exempt because you are all students.

Because the government has demanded that in England payments are sent out to bank accounts rather than reducing the bill and there has been so little time to organise everything - which is also at the busiest time of the year for council admin and at a time with lots of Covid absences - in some places you probably won't get it until well into May or even June. Once it has been automatically paid you should then be contacted by your council to confirm (and to ask you to please pay it back if you shouldn't have got it).

If you don't pay by Direct Debit you should eventually be contacted requesting bank details to pay the money to you but this will take some time.

If you are in Band E-H and are on a low income it is worth contacting your council ASAP regarding applying for the discretionary fund that has been set up (although in a lot of cases they probably haven't even had time to organise this yet!) My understanding is that councils have until the end of November to spend this fund or pay it back to the government so they will be keen to ensure it is all paid out but overall it's less than a 20th of the total funding provided for bands A-D so I imagine in some places it will probably run out quickly.

Also in general Council Tax advice every council must have a Section 13A hardship scheme which is worth applying for if you are ever really struggling, especially as in most places Council Tax Support won't cover the full bill for people of working age.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017

Storewards app

Shop loyalty card apps

About Microsoft Rewards

www.gov.uk

Switching bank accounts:

This is great, thanks for the post! One I'll add is Approved Food:
https://www.approvedfood.co.uk/

Essentially they sell food items that are either close to passing, or have passed their "best before date". We've managed to pick up an absolute bargain of food for a decent amount of money.

Scotland Legal assistance if needed
Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Should probably also put this out there...

Scotland Era specifically, because the laws vary once you venture south. My wife works for a legal charity that specializes in poverty law. Benefit claims, housing issues, bankruptcy, etc... I know it can be hard to ask for help, but please reach out, via DM if required, and I'll pass on your details. She's happy to offer advice and pointers, even reccomendations of legal help available in different cities, etc.....

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
It's a roll... until you put fried food into it, at which point it transforms into a buttie.

We need a roll poll.

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Nice OT, thread on the watch

Scotland here, was thankful to see the £150 on the council tax, even if it being split across the months only gave a small deduction. Small mercies and all that though with how everything else is going up in price. Though I'm somewhat ambivalent about the energy loan coming in in October. Kind of wish there was an opt out on that one.

Definitely already noticed the increase in price for certain foods in the shops thats started to trickle in over the last couple of weeks. Some things haven't changed much but with others, I definitely noticed an increase in the food shopping bill when I did it this morning. Luckily, I'm good enough at meal planning and budgeting to get the most out of my money for the month so it might just mean a few less outings for lunch (don't drink as I gave it up because of stomach issues a few years back along with coffee so that's a big saving) but should be able to weather that storm a bit more than some other things. Though won't be treating myself to lunches out for a bit as the missus tested positive for covid this afternoon (got it from her work in a care home). Hate that we made it 2 years and then have been hit now.

Still pretty mythed why ISPs have upped their prices a little back. Guessing they're seeing everyone else charge more and decided they didn't want to miss out. Still got a decent enough deal with Virgin Media for the time being but hopefully find a better one before July when my 100Mb/s for £25 jumps to £44. Anyone got any experience with Talk Talk and whether they're worth a look in?

Things are a bit dire though and we can only hope for better but it's so damned hard when we've a Conservative government just pulling things apart and letting companies run riot on their customers. I'd like to hope the British public will hold then accountable at the next election but who am I kidding.

Edit: Also, its a roll or bap. Buttie if you put chips on it but pretty much roll on every other situation for me.