• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Fellow dweebs lend me your ears, and your advice

My son is after a gaming pc / laptop, I am clueless with all this and no idea where to start

He mainly wants to play Team Fortress 2 but obviously that's not it.

Any advice? I'd prefer a laptop due to space for a monitor but expect I'd overpay

An old work Thinkpad can probably run TF2

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
State your budget and Uzzy will provide.

TF2 runs on toaster hardware of course but you want some breathing room for other multiplayer games his mates might get into.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
oh yeah I was being flippant with the TF2 comment although he does want to play that as well

Just want something that a 13 year old would think is pretty cool and would handle stuff to a decent level

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

My son is after a gaming pc / laptop, I am clueless with all this and no idea where to start

Any advice? I'd prefer a laptop due to space for a monitor but expect I'd overpay

My daughter got a lenovo legion last year before she went off to Uni. had a 3060 built in but you can get all kinds of versions. Was on a sale so decent value it seemed to us, but prices vary so much its best to have a look and see what options there are out there. They seem fairly well regarded too

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

What sort of budget are you looking at? Gaming laptops are more expensive.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
It is fascinating to me that a 13 year old wants to play TF2 in 2024.
Like I knew the game was still around but I assumed the player base was just people who played it back in the day and never moved on to something else.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

As mentioned, depends on budget. If you don't wanna look higher than say, £400, then I'd honestly suggesting look at something used and/or refurbished, whether from ebay or CeX or the like. Anything with a discrete GPU within the last 5 years can play most games to some extent, even if it means minimum settings. But around 3-400 is where you exit integrated GPUs or the stuff too old to be worth it, though you never quite know what's pop up

Usually though you're gonna be looking at 600+ for anything that's decent and new

Edit: For reference, you can get a laptop with an RTX 3050, nominally new, for 565 off of Ebay. That's a not terrible GPU, but also not a great price, and that's last gen hardware

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
It is fascinating to me that a 13 year old wants to play TF2 in 2024.
Like I knew the game was still around but I assumed the player base was just people who played it back in the day and never moved on to something else.
People who played it back in the day are the ones who did leave and move on because TF2 was slowly filled with crap that outright changed/ruined the design.

Those first 12 months were glorious though. I spent half my time playing TF2 and the other half playing Virtua Fighter 5. Best of times.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter got a lenovo legion last year before she went off to Uni. had a 3060 built in but you can get all kinds of versions. Was on a sale so decent value it seemed to us, but prices vary so much its best to have a look and see what options there are out there. They seem fairly well regarded too
that's the exact same one I got, was on a decent sale at the time too. has been a good performer over the last year, I don't do much AAA gaming on it but the extra grunt for photo & video work has been v useful.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hate these times when I feel under educated!

Appreciating it's going to cost £800 or so but wanting to keep it low as I can, I'm convincing myself it's worthwhile because he'll use it for homework as well (which he won't) but no point paying for something that won't do the job

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017

Possibly stupid question but have you considered a steam deck?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Just got hit with the "Your rent is increasing" email from the letting company. Had hoped that wouldn't happen this year given everything else has gone up but alas, going up an extra £30.

Still paying well below the average for the area I'm in but find it amusing that they've tried to blame the Scottish Government for the rent going up by trying to bamboozle with equations and such in the email outlining the increase but what's really happened is that because the CPI has gone up, they're putting it up with that plus a bit extra. They'll try anything to get off the hook for being the ones responsible for the increase, just thought this one was the most brazen I've seen yet.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
I may do that! Truth is he wanted a desktop but I'm even more out of my depth there!

Personally I would stay away from the SteamDeck if it's for a kid. Some games you have to configure different settings before you start the game to get them to work properly. Last time I checked a lot of EA games didn't work (might be different now), and just generally speaking it's more of a tinkering device than a laptop/gaming desktop would be.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I would stay away from the SteamDeck if it's for a kid. Some games you have to configure different settings before you start the game to get them to work properly. Last time I checked a lot of EA games didn't work (might be different now), and just generally speaking it's more of a tinkering device than a laptop/gaming desktop would be.

If the game is bought on Steam and "deck verified" its no different to playing on a console. The further you stray from this the more tinkering you have to do.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
If the game is bought on Steam and "deck verified" its no different to playing on a console. The further you stray from this the more tinkering you have to do.

Yes which was my point, popular games that a lot of kids play (Fortnite, COD, etc.) are not easy to get installed and play, especially for those that are not computer literate.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
tinkering and troubleshooting PC games are generally a good way to learn how PCs work, so I think that's a good thing.

Even understanding files and folders are becoming rarer according to educators, as most smart devices / cloud services are search-based.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
For a gaming PC, I'd just me eyes peeled on HotUKDeals for something in your budget. Then read the comments to see if it's actually good quality and value.
Like there's one right now rated nearly 1,000° (very popular) for £720. From CostCo.

People in the comments are saying this is a better deal, which it probably is (newer motherboard platform for future upgradability) but it doesn't have Windows. Though you may not trust 'Palicomp' compared to a brand name like CostCo.

Last edited:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Woo - just pulled the EX of one of my faves:

s-l1600.webp

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
For a gaming PC, I'd just me eyes peeled on HotUKDeals for something in your budget. Then read the comments to see if it's actually good quality and value.
Like there's one right now rated nearly 1,000° (very popular) for £720. From CostCo.

People in the comments are saying this is a better deal, which it probably is (newer motherboard platform for future upgradability) but it doesn't have Windows. Though you may not trust 'Palicomp' compared to a brand name like CostCo.

Another tradeoff for the Palicomp is its choice of SSD. SATA3 with only 480GB, vs an NVME drive with 1TB. Given the size of a lot of current games - especially the big online multiplayer stuff a 13 year old might play - that's legitimately a consideration to bear in mind

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Another tradeoff for the Palicomp is its choice of SSD. SATA3 with only 480GB, vs an NVME drive with 1TB. Given the size of a lot of current games - especially the big online multiplayer stuff a 13 year old might play - that's legitimately a consideration to bear in mind
True. The techie in me says to go for AM5, but for the average person the CostCo one will be the better out-of-the-box experience with Windows + bigger SSD (probably why it's so hot). Plus, the white build + RGB looks neat.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
I know the source is the torygraph but still

Thames Water is planning to pay out £2bn in dividends over the next decade despite growing fears over the company's collapse, The Telegraph can reveal.

In a revised business plan submitted to regulator Ofwat, bosses of the troubled supplier said they intended to keep rewarding shareholders even as financial pressures push it closer to bankruptcy.

According to figures buried in a spreadsheet containing more than 100 tables, Thames Water plans to pay around £2bn in dividends between now and 2035 - consisting of payouts of up to £290m a year.

This also includes around £860m in dividends between next year and 2030. Shareholders had pledged to invest more than the £750m by 2025 before they cut off funding last month.

At the same time they're planning to try and raise bills by 45%!

EOwuIpg.png

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already paying £1200 a year to the bastards, they can fuck off charging me over £2k. Just take them into public ownership

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I'm a fair man, they can raise our bills by £1 for every £1 the shareholders put back in.

That's after they return the first £14bn of course.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Actually really tempted by this Costco one for him, would have looked better in black but looks a decent bit of kit for what he needs

Wondering whether to just do this and for now he can use his tv as a monitor till I sort a better monitor

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly for performance it's the more cost effective option. The laptop linked earlier has a 3050 Ti, and while a 4060 isn't much over a 3060, both are a distinct bump over the former card. And of course, that's an upgradeable base to build on

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
If you're buying an actual PC, you can get a much better system by buying the parts yourself and building it. It's pretty easy to do these days and could be a fun activity. I wouldn't recommend any prebuilt systems or sellers.

Buying the parts yourself also means you can dip into the second hand market. Second hand GPUs are a good option, you can get great deals out there (I have a 3060 Ti I am more than willing to sell for £200 cough cough)

Last edited:

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
If your time is free and if you don't mind dismantling it to send back the single non-functional component if something ever breaks.

For me, the point at which self built was worth it sailed a long time ago.

Building it with your kid if you're confident would be different ofc.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I would highly recommend building one if you're interested and want to learn how (and in this case you think your kid might be interested and want to learn)...it's a lot of fun and you learn a ton of stuff...

Imho it's v tough to build something and save a noticeable amount of money, especially once you factor in the windows licence (and delivery costs if you order from multiple vendors).

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Caught an article earlier on where it looks like the tories are planning to basically throw everyone off UC and PIP. Not really sure what outcome that'll have for me and my wife but starve within a month.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
8C can't be a normal temp for late April, please let it end
And another miserable weekend due. Been six months of this, utterly sick of it - usually followed by a random gorgeous day mid-week too.

I now just work most weekends, and do some rescheduling the moment the weather's nice. Only way to stay sane.

Jan 20, 2023
feel like we legit just wont see another "normal year" of weather ever again at this point.

have we had a year in the past like...7 years? that didnt have a particularly notable period of weather about it

heatwave summers, crazy snow winters, etc

maybe thats just cos we all notice it and talk about it more now (as if that was possible)

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Caught an article earlier on where it looks like the tories are planning to basically throw everyone off UC and PIP. Not really sure what outcome that'll have for me and my wife but starve within a month.

Yeah I saw that the other day and it was an extremely depressing read, as I have only just started claiming UC and my PIP claim is processing so don't want them taken away before I've even benefitted... but that's only if the Tories win the next election right?!

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw that the other day and it was an extremely depressing read, as I have only just started claiming UC and my PIP claim is processing so don't want them taken away before I've even benefitted... but that's only if the Tories win the next election right?!
I mean I hope. My bigger worry is they know they're out come the election and they'll just force a bunch of this stuff through in a mad dash to the finish line. Didn't they recently rush the Rwanda bullshit through and changed the human rights laws to get around the legal issues with it? They're in the burn it all down phase they enter when they know they're out so Labour get a wall of shit they spend months if not years trying to undo. I wouldn't put it past them to try rush it in.

That said, they claimed it would take until 2028 or so, which they shouldn't be in power for anyway realistically, I just don't trust them to not do it in spite and rush it, damaged be damned

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'm expecting them to push more crap like this Rwanda bill that they know won't go anywhere but speaks loud to their base. That way when they're out of power at the end of the year and Labour shitcan whatever absurdities have been foisted upon they'll basically just stand there screeching how Labour don't care about what the people want.