Status
Not open for further replies.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Those seat estimates seem to be...not that bad, right? I mean, its not a great result for Labour (losing 6 seats). But LD, Labour and the SNP having a combined 314 is promising.

Of course, this is assuming that the LDs wouldnt immediately flip if offered something they like by the tories.
The LDs wouldn't flip for anything less than a second ref with remain on the ballot and the Tories are never, ever going to give that.

That Survation poll looks encouraging and all but since it's pre the BXP basically admitting defeat it's a bit meaningless.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Second one is significant:

Frankly, that's impressive.

Honestly I would laugh if anything close to this ended up being the result. Nothing changes. Balance of power held by a few individuals once again.

We'll have to wait for a post-BXP-pact poll to get a real lay of the land though. Still, it's interesting that Labour are making slow but steady gains despite what they're up against. Perhaps their grassroots campaign strategy has legs.

Give it a week.........
LOL the revolt he'd get from his own party would be massive

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The LDs wouldn't flip for anything less than a second ref with remain on the ballot and the Tories are never, ever going to give that.

That Survation poll looks encouraging and all but since it's pre the BXP basically admitting defeat it's a bit meaningless.
How can you honestly be sure of that? Besides any second referendum from the Tories would be a poisoned chalice anyway so even in that scenario there's still potential be screwed within the details.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Honestly I would laugh if anything close to this ended up being the result. Nothing changes. Balance of power held by a few individuals once again.

We'll have to wait for a post-BXP-pact poll to get a real lay of the land though. Still, it's interesting that Labour are making slow but steady gains despite what they're up against. Perhaps their grassroots campaign strategy has legs.

LOL the revolt he'd get from his own party would be massive
The difference would be that anyone with any spine or sense in the Tory party would be gone, replaced by nutters and sycophants so we really need the Tories to lose seats. Standing still numbers-wise would still be shifting the balance of power.

How can you honestly be sure of that? Besides any second referendum from the Tories would be a poisoned chalice anyway so even in that scenario there's still potential be screwed within the details.
The LDs entire revival is dependent almost solely on embittered remainers who are unhappy with Labour or the Tories when it comes to Brexit. Swinson might be a dickhead but she's not totally stupid. It'd kill the LDs to jump into bed with the Tories again without getting at minimum a cast-iron guarantee of another ref with remain on the ballot, and she knows it.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there is any chance of a lib-dem/Tory pact short of a cast-iron PV non-stitch-up promise and only then if Labour somehow wouldn't offer the same thing. There is absolutely nothing in it for them to do that. Why would they even want to do it?

They will make the deal with Labour because it's the only play they can possibly make.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Those seat estimates seem to be...not that bad, right? I mean, its not a great result for Labour (losing 6 seats). But LD, Labour and the SNP having a combined 314 is promising.

Of course, this is assuming that the LDs wouldnt immediately flip if offered something they like by the tories.

The trouble is you'd have 314 Tories who'd be loyal to Boris - and no coherent way in parliament of having any other alternative winning. Which means Boris delivering his Brexit.

Clearly be better than a Tory majority but not by much.

Short of Tories outright losing we need them low enough that they'd need to compromise with LD's or other remain parties - and that might force them into offering a referendum if they want to govern. A 295/300 seat Tory parliament would have a Tory government BUT they'd still struggle on Brexit in parliament - and therefore that's the issue we need to force compromise on. There would be no LD/Tory compromise widely but simply a referendum that would buy LD support for Boris' deal.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Survation is absolutely the gold standard. Closest to actual in GE 15 and 17.

Yep.

Imagine blaming Grenfell on Labour when you a Tory that joined Libs.

Now imagine how big a cunt you are for saying that shit.

Has Swinson said anything?

She is too busy trying to trash labour for not entering a remain pact whilst standing in a disaster hit area.

No, I'm not joking.

Repeating the bullshit whilst people are fucked over by the gov due to massive underfunding.

She pledged a 5bil disaster fund but its piss poor optics using an event like that to trash them.

I have been deeply unimpressed with swinston so far in the campaign and as I thought, they just hang about in the background compared to all the other parties. I kinda want cable back, I'm expecting a right squeeze on the numbers for them and voters flocking to labour.

No it's not too bad this early. Its pre manifesto and pre debates which works all the better in labors favour.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The difference would be that anyone with any spine or sense in the Tory party would be gone, replaced by nutters and sycophants so we really need the Tories to lose seats. Standing still numbers-wise would still be shifting the balance of power.

The LDs entire revival is dependent almost solely on embittered remainers who are unhappy with Labour or the Tories when it comes to Brexit. Swinson might be a dickhead but she's not totally stupid. It'd kill the LDs to jump into bed with the Tories again without getting a cast-iron guarantee of another ref with remain on the ballot, and she knows it.
That doesn't matter that much when regardless of how brexit goes the Libdems won't be able rely on it to win them votes them votes for much longer.

Beyond this election the Lib Dems are in no mans land as it's expected brexit will be concluded after this election one way or another. Ideally a second referendum would be what they want but whatever they do will either be guided by personal beliefs or what they think will be long term viable. There's a lot of gray area to that and like I said the Tories could for example offer an referendum but with no deal and the deal as well as remain on the ticket and then start their manipulations from there.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't matter that much when regardless of how brexit goes the Libdems won't be able rely on it to win them votes them votes for much longer.

Beyond this election the Lib Dems are in no mans land as it's expected brexit will be concluded after this election one way or another. Ideally a second referendum would be what they want but whatever they do will either be guided by personal beliefs or what they think will be long term viable. There's a lot of gray area to that and like I said the Tories could for example offer an referendum but with no deal and the deal as well as remain on the ticket and then start their manipulations from there.

technically I don;t think they can do that. I'm sure I read somewhere that there are rules for referenda and multiple choice is outside them.

I can't see them doing it unless it was cast-iron and Labour were equivocating for some reason. If both Labour and the Tories both offer cast iron deals, they'll pick Labour because there is absolutely no political capital in picking the tories. The votes they will keep from this election will be 'new labour' refugees, not tory remainers - they'll go back to their homeland once brexit is settled.

Also, as much as what the LDs might do is important, you also need to consider what the SNP might do and what the DUP might do.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yep.

She is too busy trying to trash labour for not entering a remain pact whilst standing in a disaster hit area.

No, I'm not joking.

Repeating the bullshit whilst people are fucked over by the gov due to massive underfunding.

She pledged a 5bil disaster fund but its piss poor optics using an event like that to trash them.

I have been deeply unimpressed with swinston so far in the campaign and as I thought, they just hang about in the background compared to all the other parties. I kinda want cable back, I'm expecting a right squeeze on the numbers for them and voters flocking to labour.

No it's not too bad this early. Its pre manifesto and pre debates which works all the better in labors favour.
There was an interview when she was in that area talking about flood defences, the journalist mentioned it was the coalition that cut everything including flood defences. She tried to deflect by saying lib dems aren't in govt now...

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
There's a lot of gray area to that and like I said the Tories could for example offer an referendum but with no deal and the deal as well as remain on the ticket and then start their manipulations from there.
I fully believe the Lib Dems are gullible enough to take this option.

It's a nightmare to pull up sources on Google past a few days old, but I'm pretty sure someone within the Lib Dems or potentially affiliated with them from within the People's Vote campaign suggested a No Deal v Remain referendum. There's a huge amount of hubris from within Hard Remain that they'll walk a second referendum if the stakes are high enough, arguably the same hubris that lost them the first referendum.

Eventually the Lib Dems have to clock that the path to the safest option is with Labour.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London

Beyond Brexit, Swinson is trying to position the LDs as the centre-right party that is the replacement for the Tories now they've become hard right, nativist, ideologues and no longer the "sensible, pro-business" party. I mean it's not going to work because of FPTP, inertia, and that social conservatism has always made up a significant part of the Tory coalition, but that's what she's trying to do. Saving the economy by preventing Brexit and then eating up large sections of the Tories as they descend into infighting is integral to that plan.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
in the history of humanity (im being hyperbolic ofc), the center right always prefers to support the far right rather than the left. Dont trust the birds.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
technically I don;t think they can do that. I'm sure I read somewhere that there are rules for referenda and multiple choice is outside them.

I can't see them doing it unless it was cast-iron and Labour were equivocating for some reason. If both Labour and the Tories both offer cast iron deals, they'll pick Labour because there is absolutely no political capital in picking the tories. The votes they will keep from this election will be 'new labour' refugees, not tory remainers - they'll go back to their homeland once brexit is settled.

Also, as much as what the LDs might do is important, you also need to consider what the SNP might do and what the DUP might do.
There were also rules for the fixed term parliament act regarding an election, as long as you have enough votes rules can be changed.
Beyond Brexit, Swinson is trying to position the LDs as the centre-right party that is the replacement for the Tories now they've become hard right, nativist, ideologues and no longer the "sensible, pro-business" party. I mean it's not going to work because of FPTP, inertia, and that social conservatism has always made up a significant part of the Tory coalition, but that's what she's trying to do. Saving the economy by preventing Brexit and then eating up large sections of the Tories as they descend into infighting is integral to that plan.
That's what the Tories already purport to be, and with the intertia of being in power will have the press to control that narrative for them. It doesn't seem like a winning ticket and that naturally aligns them with the Tories anyway beyond brexit.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Digging deeper on those Survation numbers:

Age 18-34: 45% certain to vote
Age 55+: 81% certain to vote

Household income <£20k: 50% certain to vote
Household income >£40k: 77% certain to vote

Women: 61% certain to vote
Men: 74% certain to vote

Every demographic that favours the Tories is more certain to vote than every demographic that favours Labour.

That is where the gap is. Get. Out. The. Vote.

Changing minds is great and all, but the single best thing you can do this election is convince the people who are already predisposed to agree with you to actually vote.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yep. It's the "everything is fine once brexit is killed party". No fundamental changes needed, austerity is fine and totally unrelated to brexit etc.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fully believe the Lib Dems are gullible enough to take this option.

It's a nightmare to pull up sources on Google past a few days old, but I'm pretty sure someone within the Lib Dems or potentially affiliated with them from within the People's Vote campaign suggested a No Deal v Remain referendum. There's a huge amount of hubris from within Hard Remain that they'll walk a second referendum if the stakes are high enough, arguably the same hubris that lost them the first referendum.

Eventually the Lib Dems have to clock that the path to the safest option is with Labour.

I am sure they have already clocked it.

What Swinson said about Labour was fucking stupid but I guess she said it for the Tory remainer votes. She can't possibly have meant it. Not because I trust her but because there are no situations where it makes any kind of sense for the LDs not to support a Labour PV deal if they have the option to do that. That's the only possible successful move they can hope to make. Putting in the tories even with a cast iron PV deal (and no such would exist with the current Tory mob) would just be suicide for them. Why would they do that?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I am sure they have already clocked it.

What Swinson said about Labour was fucking stupid but I guess she said it for the Tory remainer votes. She can't possibly have meant it. Not because I trust her but because there are no situations where it makes any kind of sense for the LDs not to support a Labour PV deal if they have the option to do that. That's the only possible successful move they can hope to make. Putting in the tories even with a cast iron PV deal (and no such would exist with the current Tory mob) would just be suicide for them. Why would they do that?
Why did they agree to austerity?

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why did they agree to austerity?

They agreed to a Tory government because at the time Labour were a busted flush, Cameron was hugging hoodies and the prevailing narrative was that some belt-tightening was required. Labour were a mess at the time. There was a strong feeling that the biggest party should be a member of the coalition for the sake of democracy in the first hung parliament in decades. You can see why they made that choice politically. You can see what they thought might have been in it for them - or rather what being tied to a lame-duck Brown government might do to them. It was a mistake but it didn't overwhelmingly seem that way at the time from a party political point of view.

I just can't see any reason to do that again this time, especially after what happened last time they did it.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
There were also rules for the fixed term parliament act regarding an election, as long as you have enough votes rules can be changed.

That's what the Tories already purport to be, and with the intertia of being in power will have the press to control that narrative for them. It doesn't seem like a winning ticket and that naturally aligns them with the Tories anyway beyond brexit.
It doesn't align them with the Tories. They want to replace them. I agree it doesn't seem like a winning ticket because the Tories are too deeply embedded in the fabric of this country but if the LDs want to gamble that Brexit/preventing Brexit will cause the Tories to disintegrate then have at it I guess.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
They agreed to a Tory government because at the time Labour were a busted flush, Cameron was hugging hoodies and the prevailing narrative was that some belt-tightening was required. Labour were a mess at the time. There was a strong feeling that the biggest party should be a member of the coalition for the sake of democracy in the first hung parliament in decades. You can see why they made that choice politically. You can see what they thought might have been in it for them - or rather what being tied to a lame-duck Brown government might do to them. It was a mistake but it didn't overwhelmingly seem that way at the time from a party political point of view.

I just can't see any reason to do that again this time, especially after what happened last time they did it.
They didn't need to go with anyone and by going with Tories they lost all the social democratic voters Charlie Kennedy had got.

My point asking that question is self immolation is something they've done very recently. And all parties do stupid shit, logic be damned.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
A buried investigation into Russian meddling, shortly followed by a huge DDOS attack on Labour which purportedly is Russian in origin.

I wonder what's going on guys. Whatever could be going on.

Huh, has anything official been mentioned of this?

Not disputing it if it has, but I'd be cautious if there's theories floating around.

Edit: Also, rightful cynicism aside - I'm willing to bet that Lib Dem's will work with Labour as opposed to the Tories if it came down to a straight choice.

Let's watch this space.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London

This is the really key part that a lot of Labour supporters don't seem to get. The LDs aren't going to repeat the coalition because they've become better people, regret austerity or anything, because they haven't/don't. They're not going to repeat the coalition because it fucking destroyed them and they lost tons of voters and MPs and their reputation is still severely damaged. If it wasn't for Brexit and Corbyn's unpopularity they'd still be nowhere and they know it. "They did that stupid thing before!" isn't quite the good argument people think it is.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
This is the really key part that a lot of Labour supporters don't seem to get. The LDs aren't going to repeat the coalition because they've become better people, regret austerity or anything, because they haven't/don't. They're not going to repeat the coalition because it fucking destroyed them and they lost tons of voters and MPs and their reputation is still severely damaged. If it wasn't for Brexit and Corbyn's unpopularity they'd still be nowhere and they know it. "They did that stupid thing before!" isn't quite the good argument people think it is.
It's a better argument than any that suggests they work with Labour frankly.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

No, I'm not joking.

Vinny is still talking bollocks too

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1194212734407188481

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tories will offer Lib Dems a second ref, but fuck them on the terms, like requiring a 2/3 majority or only letting 60 year old men vote. Lib Dems will snap their hands off, lose the vote and happily take their place in government and celebrate getting the plastic bag tax upped to 10p in exchange for deporting all muslims.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
That would be contingent on there being a stable enough govt to run a referendum and pass the legislation, they would need to support labour in more than just the referendum to achieve that.
It would probably involve supporting them in a confidence vote until after the ref, but no formal agreement to do so. They could square that with their supporters. Everything else on the Labour agenda? Ehhhhhh. I imagine they'd support some of it because they do have some policy goals in common, but any of the most radical stuff? Fuck no.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It would probably involve supporting them in a confidence vote until after the ref, but no formal agreement to do so. They could square that with their supporters. Everything else on the Labour agenda? Ehhhhhh. I imagine they'd support some of it because they do have some policy goals in common, but any of the most radical stuff? Fuck no.
I dunno, I just do not see them working with labour in anyway that puts Corbyn in no 10, it's hard to sell that to the Tory MPs and labour MPs that left because they hate him and most of labours policies.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for telling me something I know.

You've answered your own question. They "agreed to austerity" because it was widely accepted across the electorate and all political parties that spending controls were needed. They had no choice. And I suspect they thought they could influence things from within.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I mean even the referrendum itself would likely be a wash, the lib dems would have to support Labour enough to enter government in order to be able to negotiate a deal either that make the referrendum on Boris deal with labour running the negotians?

It simply far more likely the Linden's will enter some sort of agreement with the Tories than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.