• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I mean I get the impetus to appeal to Tory remainers. I do, but there's ways they could leave the issue of whether to stand to the local constituency organisations while still being strident against Labour (right or wrong of putting the boot into Labour you can debate, but from a narrow party pov it's probably the smart position).

What's strange is it's typically local associations who are dead set against any standing down.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The thing the coalition proved about the Lib Dems is that a bit like the DUP, the Lib Dems tend to be pretty good in tactically and organisationally (they're a very slick operation at the local level) but are absolute blithering morons at a strategic level. I mean almost totally.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My theory about the LDs just pretending to put new MPs in these seats is looking extremely thin now.

What the fuck are they doing? Who's fucking masterplan is this?

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Swinson really got high on her own farts after the Euro elections and those polls which had them in the mid-20s.

Whatever gave you that impression?

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fc9a75a3e-fb64-11e9-837f-79f312a00fbd.jpg

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017

Just waiting for them to implode in real time now. They do this they can kiss the labour remain voters good bye.

At least it will make the cons shit the bed when the remain vote falls behind labour.

This is what you get when you choose fucking Umna as a mp and a senior figure in your party. Man is a walking disaster

Oh and Im glad that statement also highlights swinstons hyper aggressive style.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The thing is Labour need the Lib Dems not to implode. In fact, they need the Lib Dems to have a fucking fantastic election in the South of England.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Swinson read the room terribly wrong. The failure of LDs in these elections will be totally on her stubbornness.

But it's good that at least the LD members are seeing the issues here.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is Labour need the Lib Dems not to implode. In fact, they need the Lib Dems to have a fucking fantastic election in the South of England.

This is also true. The LDs need to batter the SW. Those seats should be RIPE for the plucking but there are some big swings required and if they carry on like this, people aren't going to swing behind them in the numbers required. And that's bad for everyone.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nearly half the country find the tories to be a great party that represents their values.

People can keep complaining that its the oppositions fault but reality is that just like America, roughly 35%-40% of the electorate have been brainwashed by right wing media to support these sort of parties and policies.

If people like you think this is something easily changed without moving towards being like the tories then you are severely mistaken. If we want to actually have a left wing government it's gonna take a lot of hard work and most likely legislation to prevent the media from being able to continue spreading their bullshit as they have been for decades.

What's easily changed is image and perception. How things are presented. Blair and co did so much for the country - so much good. Were they perfect - no. But they at least gave us a proper functioning health service, well invested schools and put resources into social care and local community projects. I'd take that right now.

I agree that you are correct in that the basic issue is that 40% of the country roughly are brainwashed by right wing media - but the way to fight that IMO is to find a way of reaching out to them. You cannot fight it by putting up the complete opposite and expecting them to buy it, especially when its packaged poorly.

I'm 40 years old - the majority of my life has been spent under Tory governments - pretty horrendous ones too - and I'm going to spend another 10 years under one at least - or that seems likely - and almost certainly this will be the worst one.

Blair showed how to beat them - we don't need a Blair clone in terms of policy but we sure as hell need someone who is seen as vibrant, fresh and up for the fight. Someone capable of directly taking Johnson on. Someone who is able to use the media and get business on side. Ideology will leave me seeing out my days with Tory governments. Because as you've accurately said the reality is that 40% believe that is what they want. I do not believe it is actually what they want. But they need to be shown.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
My theory about the LDs just pretending to put new MPs in these seats is looking extremely thin now.

What the fuck are they doing? Who's fucking masterplan is this?

Who's?

Chucka fucking umnas is who. The same idiot who made the independent party.

Certainly, I still think they will pick up a fair few seats in the south and southwest and likely outperform expectations. But the polling is going to take a major hit now.

They are playing all of this horribly wrong, and that is going to stunt them taking as many seats as they could have.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
If a LD candidate doesn't want to run, they shouldn't run. Simple as that. There'll still be candidates put up wherever possible because that's just how campaigning is done.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
What's easily changed is image and perception. How things are presented. Blair and co did so much for the country - so much good. Were they perfect - no. But they at least gave us a proper functioning health service, well invested schools and put resources into social care and local community projects. I'd take that right now.

I agree that you are correct in that the basic issue is that 40% of the country roughly are brainwashed by right wing media - but the way to fight that IMO is to find a way of reaching out to them. You cannot fight it by putting up the complete opposite and expecting them to buy it, especially when its packaged poorly.

I'm 40 years old - the majority of my life has been spent under Tory governments - pretty horrendous ones too - and I'm going to spend another 10 years under one at least - or that seems likely - and almost certainly this will be the worst one.

Blair showed how to beat them - we don't need a Blair clone in terms of policy but we sure as hell need someone who is seen as vibrant, fresh and up for the fight. Someone capable of directly taking Johnson on. Someone who is able to use the media and get business on side. Ideology will leave me seeing out my days with Tory governments. Because as you've accurately said the reality is that 40% believe that is what they want. I do not believe it is actually what they want. But they need to be shown.
If you are going to take this stance, I feel I should make it clear what you are actually committing to. The voters that voted Labour under Blair but gradually left since 2005 are not the ones that he brought into the party in 1997. They have left Labour because of immigration. Some also left because of the economy in 2010 its true, but they have since returned to the party. The holdouts, the ones who are pushing Johnson's numbers, are anti-labour not because of left wing economics, but because of a combination of social issues such as immigration, and are primarily motivated by, well, I'll be generous and say at least bigotry-adjacent values. 'Reaching out' to these people doesn't mean moderating Corbyn's economic policies. It means pandering to bigotry. If you believe that reaching out is the only way to win, fine, but please don't think that this is about economics.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

The thing that people always forget in political arguments is that things aren't static and just because one thing worked previous, doesn't mean it will work now or more importantly be enough since the playing field is constantly in flux.

Blair did good but that was because he bowed down to big business and that allowed him to gain favour with the press and so he was allowed to do some good stuff on the side.

But this isn't 97 and the disparity between rich and poor is bigger than it's ever been and the power and influence dynamic has vastly shifted towards big business and so if we really want to change things for the better, we need real, systemic change to how things currently are and the media simply aren't going to allow that without a fight because it directly affects them.

The moment you start 'playing the game' is the moment you lose any real chance of making changes, especially the sort of drastic changes we need for social care, the health service, climate change etc. We have let it get so bad that the only way these issues can be solved is with a big actions that are going to cost a lot of money which is why the balance of power needs to be shifted back to the government and people instead of big business.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If you are going to take this stance, I feel I should make it clear what you are actually committing to. The voters that voted Labour under Blair but gradually left since 2005 are not the ones that he brought into the party in 1997. They have left Labour because of immigration. Some also left because of the economy in 2010 its true, but they have since returned to the party. The holdouts, the ones who are pushing Johnson's numbers, are anti-labour not because of left wing economics, but because of a combination of social issues such as immigration, and are primarily motivated by, well, I'll be generous and say at least bigotry-adjacent values. 'Reaching out' to these people doesn't mean moderating Corbyn's economic policies. It means pandering to bigotry. If you believe that reaching out is the only way to win, fine, but please don't think that this is about economics.

Totally agree - its fruitless chasing the Labour Brexiteers - and also absolutely against every principle I have.

Chasing the lapsed traditional Labour voter - sure. Not something to be done.

We should not be pandering to bigotry or racism.

However, I don't agree with your analysis that it is those voters who will be critical - it is the middle class voter that Labour needs to win - the ones who ultimately are socially progressive but fearful when they see the nonsense the Tories put out about Labour's spending plans. People who genuinely watch TV and see Corbyn as a bit of a funny old man who can't dress properly. Middle England. That's where Labour can win if they find a dynamic leader able to play the game well.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
If a LD candidate doesn't want to run, they shouldn't run. Simple as that. There'll still be candidates put up wherever possible because that's just how campaigning is done.

In theory yes, but in practice it clashes with the idea of doing everything to stop Brexit. And it's a failure to adapt to the perception of the public. You can see that by looking at the shift of Remain voters in polls.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
Totally agree - its fruitless chasing the Labour Brexiteers - and also absolutely against every principle I have.

However, I don't agree with your analysis that it is those voters who will be critical - it is the middle class voter that Labour needs to win - the ones who ultimately are socially progressive but fearful when they see the nonsense the Tories put out about Labour's spending plans. People who genuinely watch TV and see Corbyn as a bit of a funny old man who can't dress properly. Middle England. That's where Labour can win if they find a dynamic leader able to play the game well.
You seem to be making the assumption that the poor media performance is a problem inherent to Corbyn.
There's a reason that his favourability metrics and polling scores go up during purdah - Corbyn *is* dynamic and charismatic, just look at the crowds at his rallies - but no left-wing politician will get fair treatment in the British press.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017

Come on Huw, you can't surely be defending the latter here? Tactical voting, splitting the vote, alliances are all front-and-centre of political discourse now and that genie is well and truly out of the bottle.

In the case of this one particular seat (though I accept this cuts across all parties, in many other seats as well), the fact is that Walker has sensibly recognised that his candidacy would actively work against the very outcome he wants to secure (some permutation of referendum/revoke). For the party leadership to then insist on running a candidate, any candidate in that same seat, purely because "that's just how campaigning is done" is fingers-in-ears denial of the reality of the situation.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, the reaction to Boris up north seems to be gaining some traction. Seems like he's struck the 'right' balance of people hating him for taking so long to respond, and that any response he's actually taking now is a cynical consideration of the election.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Just seen that 110,000 people aged under 35 registered to vote yesterday, most since the election was called. Around 500,000 people under 25 in the last two weeks too. Don't know how that compares to 2017 but seems encouraging if it continues.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017

This is probably an area where we will have to respectfully disagree, but the data I've seen suggests that the common unifying factor of the groups of people who saw a net swing to the Tories in 2017 was hostility to immigration. All other groups saw a net swing to Labour, especially progressive centrists and right wingers. (Bizarrely, socially moderate centrists were shown to be more anti-immigrant than socially moderate right-wingers and socially conservative centrists, so the former swung to the Tories whilst the latter two swung to Labour.)

Here's where I'm getting my data (on page 50) https://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/wp-co...FRACTURED_POLITICS_TURNER_M_ET_AL_2018_V4.pdf

It's the same thing I posted in the last thread. The descriptions of the clans you see in the graph are in the document but I understand if you don't wanna have to go through all that. Hopefully you can take my word for it that I'm representing the data truthfully.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Just seen that 110,000 people aged under 35 registered to vote yesterday, most since the election was called. Around 500,000 people under 25 in the last two weeks too. Don't know how that compares to 2017 but seems encouraging if it continues.

It's one of the few slim hopes I have going into this election. We've had years of younger voters coming of age, seeing the mess the Tories are making of the country, services and Brexit, and seeing their future opportunities being obliterated. If that demographic is registering to vote in huge numbers, we could see some interesting and unexpected swings.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017

I'm spending my luch time reading the replies to that tweet. It genuinely makes me want to weep :(

I'm so stressed in general and watching bias in action every day is just making it worse and worse.

This morning on Radio 4 after repeating one of the Tory's bullshit claims, they countered it by saying, "Maybe it doesn't quite stand up however", before listing several reasons why it 100% absofuckinglutely doesn't stand up. Even when they report on the gaslighting, they're so scared of just coming out and stating that it's depressing.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
In theory yes, but in practice it clashes with the idea of doing everything to stop Brexit. And it's a failure to adapt to the perception of the public. You can see that by looking at the shift of Remain voters in polls.

I think it's pretty questionable to suggest that there is some huge shift in polling due to the issues with Lib Dem campaigning. It's got far more to do with the reality of FPTP.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Johnson isn't much better at this than May. Remember he only really ran for London Mayor against Livingstone who was unpopular just as New Labour had lost its shine. While it wasn't expected that he'd win, it wasn't exactly the most murderous terrain in which to do so.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You seem to be making the assumption that the poor media performance is a problem inherent to Corbyn.
There's a reason that his favourability metrics and polling scores go up during purdah - Corbyn *is* dynamic and charismatic, just look at the crowds at his rallies - but no left-wing politician will get fair treatment in the British press.

Take a look at this.

Tell me - when has Corbyn ever managed to put in such a commanding performance in PMQs? Normally he is looking down and reading off his paper - unable to look people in the eye - he stumbles over what he's trying to say. He never looks dynamic or charismatic. And PMQs is his chance every week to do so. To appear like he's switched on and able to take his opponent down.

This is what I mean by dynamic and charismatic. Someone sharp and switched on and able to succinctly destroy the bogus Tory arguments. And boil them down into a simplistic and rememberable slogan.

That's what politics is - how you present - how you convince. I've seen most PMQs and never once seen Corbyn perform like this.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why the doom and gloom and "inevitable Tory majority" talk needs to stop. Even if a Labour majority isn't likely we absolutely can get the Tories out.

Yup, pessimism breeds more pessimism and suppresses the vote. This election is absolutely there for the winning. As the polls tighten and people start seeing the result isn't a foregone conclusion, more and more of these non-voting Labour supporters are going to get on board. We're going to win this.

Status
Not open for further replies.