• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was in the Trafford centre on launch and I went into the game stores and saw nobody buying it. I myself didn't buy it either.

£50 for cod lol

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
If it's the case of a singleplayer game with MP that is exactly what i do, play the campaing, check the MP, and sell or trade the game. I'm talking about games like overwatch, rainbow six siege, even destiny can be applied to that since the campaing is just a warmup to the real deal. But I understand your point, to me it does not apply to a game MP Only like black ops 4. But I still got it.

Yeah, like I edited, I do it too some times because I can't wait anymore or just say fuck it, I play it 500 hours anyways, let's be spontaneous, but with BO4, even if I have slight interest, all I can think of is that this game is dead in 12 months and if I buy it, it has to be cheap or physically. Not releasing this as free to play standalone like Fortnite is a huge mistake in my eyes. Even if I would love it to death and want to support it, I couldn't put one extra cent in it to support it cause I know it's done in 12 months and it would be gone, it has an expiry date and it's a bitter aftertaste.

But to go back to our topic, I burned myself twice with digital games where I wished I had them physically (only was was available physically tho) and I was so lucky that I got a refund on both of them on Xbox One after a bit of talking, the games were Conan and DayZ and my boy, was Conan a mistake that I regret until today.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even considering that digital is more than 50%, likely isn't enough to beat WW II retail + digital first week. If so, disappointing launch considering all the hype about battle royale mode.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
If you're the type of player that only plays CoD all year then £60 for hundreds of hours, for a year's worth of entertainment, really is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Digital might have picked up but those thinking digital has out sold physical or has sold enough to cover a 50% drop at retail are having a laugh.

The game just hasn't sold as well this time, accept it. As other have said acti would be spewing the usual bs in sales by now if it had.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think digital explains like a 400k drop...I believe digital makes up a big chunk of sales, but two thirds (which is what it would have to be for it to be on par with last year's debut)?

I think it's time of year.

edit: I guess I'm rounding a bit there. 515 - 260 = 225, not 400k. Still, seems like a lot to overcome.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Yikes... I remember back in the glory days of MW it was pulling a million at physical.
All things that go up must come down I guess
Yes, digital goes up physical goes down. Meanwhile it ends up being like one of the best selling titles every year. I know at least in the US its #1 every year despite the yearly controversy.

With it having BR and a really good PC port on Blizzard's launcher I suspect the PC version will do extremely well too.

I don't even buy CoD games and even I've been tempted due to the reviews and seeing it on twitch. Overwatch is kind of dry while everyone is checking out the new thing.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the game bigger than what a blu ray can contain anyways? It pretty much makes a physical version useless, except just a way to save a few GBs off your bandwidth.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious how Activison reacts.

COD is only selling worse.
Destiny 2 sold so bad they kind of pretend it didnt happen in their earning reports.

Crash and Spyro are probably nice little money makers though?

We at near the first time in a long time Activision doesn't have that obvious juggernaut game.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
If you get bored of it within the first month sure. Trade-in prices are generally shit for multi-player yearly franchise games in the UK. An example is FIFA 18, you can trade it in at GAME for £2 credit or £1.40 cash.
If you limit yourself to trade ins and big corporate retailers, sure. But not if you sell it on your own, which is exceedingly easy and convenient thanks to an abundance of Selling apps and sites *shrug*.

I've never had a problem selling my games for way more than I could get at GameStop.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Seeing as player numbers went up, it probably did.
Online day one player count don t tells us anything.

There s no campain mode.

Traditionaly lots of players started to play the campain first

I think that if activision decided to make a pr statement about digital performance and not all sells, we could assume that total sells are not up from last year and éven probably down

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If you limit yourself to trade ins and big corporate retailers, sure. But not if you sell it on your own, which is exceedingly easy and convenient thanks to an abundance of Selling apps and sites *shrug*.

I've never had a problem selling my games for way more than I could get at GameStop.

Depends if you have the time to post it on ebay etc, package up the game and also deal with the threat of people scamming as most of the sites have more buyer protection than seller. Trading it in is far easier imo.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but I've seen more people wanting to buy this physical due to the digital price.

Crazy that CoD was selling 1.8 million physical at its peak and now its a comparatively paltry 250k. Probably a perfect storm of circumstances for the huge sales previously, including the £25 supermarket promos. Never get anymore of those sadly.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Depends if you have the time to post it on ebay etc, package up the game and also deal with the threat of people scamming as most of the sites have more buyer protection than seller. Trading it in is far easier imo.
I've never sold a game on EBay. Always been local pickups. You in the UK? I'm pretty busy too (kids, spouse, career), but taking 10 minutes of my day to meet someone at a coffee shop usually isn't a massive inconvenience.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the Physical/Digital split was 45/55, you're looking at roughly a total of 580,000 copies sold. WW2 sold 515,000 physical copies alone. I don't think Activision will be too pleased, truth be told.

Anecdotally, CoD was my FPS of choice last gen, but I've moved onto Siege since. AW was the worst multiplayer FPS I've ever played and Black Ops 3 feels very last gen gameplay wise. Not surprised if many other consumers are in the same boat.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
so, game to close by this time next year? they really need games like COD and with so few physical copies being sold, thus fewer coming back as trade-ins, i can't see them surviving much longer.

Oct 27, 2017
You don't get much out of buying games like these physically. Trade in/resale value will be shit very soon, and within months there will be enough patches and dlc to bring install/download time closer to buying it digitally. You'd be buying a disc just for the sheer pleasure of swapping out discs whenever you want to play.

And are people still skeptical about paying money for multiplayer only games? It's been a thing since Quake 3, and will continue to be a thing in a post Fortnite world.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Destiny 2 sold so bad they kind of pretend it didnt happen in their earning reports.

We at near the first time in a long time Activision doesn't have that obvious juggernaut game.

Didn't Activision have the top 2 selling games by revenue in 2017 (US)? With one of them being Destiny 2 no less. In the UK Activision had the second highest market share of boxed games, just behind EA. I think they are doing ok.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anecdotal, but I've seen more people wanting to buy this physical due to the digital price.

Crazy that CoD was selling 1.8 million physical at its peak and now its a comparatively paltry 250k. Probably a perfect storm of circumstances for the huge sales previously, including the £25 supermarket promos. Never get anymore of those sadly.

That's a good point, UK prices especially with supermarkets were so competitive, they were all at each other's throats for a slice of that market, which they all gave up on.

My local asda is £48 a copy and Morrison's is £50, don't know about the others.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Pretty sure Activision knew sales would be down. They're counting on bigger DLC and microtransaction sales. I'm guessing that development costs were also down.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we give a 70/30 (Retail/Digital) split for WWII on launch, which seems acceptable for 2017, and 60/40 (Digital/Retail) for BO 4, the result would be 736k for WII and 650k for BO 4.

There's no way Black Ops 4 isn't a drop for the series.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's a good point, UK prices especially with supermarkets were so competitive, they were all at each other's throats for a slice of that market, which they all gave up on.

My local asda is £48 a copy and Morrison's is £50, don't know about the others.

It doesn't even seem that long ago you could buy a COD at launch for £25

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Some people missing the campaign or digital sales really on the rise (maybe a bit of both)

Looks at the other thread I've just seen, it seems Digital is a big reason.

"Black Ops IIII highest selling Day 1 Digital sales in Activision's history, sets records on PC and PS4 store"

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017

This is a joke post...right?

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Some people missing the campaign or digital sales really on the rise (maybe a bit of both)

Looks at the other thread I've just seen, it seems Digital is a big reason.

"Black Ops IIII highest selling Day 1 Digital sales in Activision's history, sets records on PC and PS4 store"

Digital still likely won't cover for the drop, not to mention no mention of overall sales PR like usual. Instead they specify 2 criteria to make it seem more impressive to cover for the lower sales.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
I think nobody wants to pay 60$ for a battle royale. They can have fortnite for free, so why would you pay for BO4?! If you play one battle royale, you played all of them.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Digital still likely won't cover for the drop, not to mention no mention of overall sales PR like usual. Instead they specify 2 criteria to make it seem more impressive to cover for the lower sales.

Exactly. Even if digital did cover the drop, which seems unlikely given how big it is, it still wouldn't have grown from WW2 last year.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
c5w9qqi.png

It really isn't. TPTB grossly misunderstood the optics surrounding not having a campaign mode, and their data is flat out wrong if they thought it wouldn't impact sales.

My own personal experience: in the gym I've spoken to a few people that talk to me about games (because of my work) and they haven't bought the game because "there's no story in this one - it's online only". Whilst the gym bros crowd may or may not actually play campaign mode, it's ended up being a detracting factor in purchasing decisions, in an otherwise busy AF game release window.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I vastly prefer single-player and collect physical games, haven't bought a CoD since AW for the campaign and haven't played much CoD multi-player since MW1. But I loved PUBG, wished it was more polished on console and the positive reactions to the beta made me get BLOPS4.

No single-player and a 50GB day one patch make the physical copy pretty pointless, so I got it digitally. A friend of mine with similar preferences did the same.

Completely anecdotal of course, but I think many people made a similar calculation for their purchasing decision this year. The largest day1 digital numbers seem to back this up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because gamepass increases the sales, more people playing the game - more people buying it. It's all about players, not sales anymore

While Game Pass surely helps, Forza Horizon 3 also experienced the most growth over time in the franchise. 9 million people played as of this past July, yet only 2.5 million had sold by the 3 month mark after the original release. Their peak active player count was supposedly Dec. 2017, which is nuts, especially with the regular Forza 7 still being relatively new at the time!

Also, if anything was going to be a showcase this year for the One X then certainly FH4 has proven to be it.

It's never just one thing...

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
The season pass being the only way to get new maps this year makes sense as to why more people are picking up digital.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
No single-player and a 50GB day one patch make the physical copy pretty pointless, so I got it digitally. A friend of mine with similar preferences did the same.

This.
I only get physical games when they include a single player mode that can be "finished" before the game drops in value.
Example, you can buy GoW/RDR2/DQ11 on day one and see the credits within weeks/months. At that point you can resell the game on eBay or trade it in for relatively great value.

The used market doesn't work like that with MP games, where people play them all year long and buy the time they're done the resell prices have declined steeply.

I haven't bought BLOPS IIII at all because I hate BR games, but if I wanted the game, I'd go digital 100%.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Did I wake up in an alternate universe? Destiny 2 sold badly? It outsold the first game in two months...lol.

You guys should read something other than Era for AAA game news. This place loves to try and paint games that did really well as failures. You should probably also stop using UK physical sales to reflect anything on a worldwide scale, because time and time again they've shown that they mean absolutely nothing.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
lol pathetic narrative, BO4 is the best CoD in ~8 years. Digital is getting bigger every year, especially for a Battle Royal game it makes sense people went digital.
Did I say anything at all about the quality of the games? I don't understand why some of you use insults so comfortably... My comment was about sales, and there's no level of digital growth that puts the series where it was a decade ago. Otherwise Activision would be using those figures as a point of reference, not the ones from last year.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
That's wrong. The game is on the disc.
As far as I understand you have to download 17 + 50 GB of data if you had the physical version but if you bought the digital version you get a initial 50GB or so download and that was it...

So if that's true then the disc might as well have been empty for all the end user cares.