• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Few things give me genuine hope, but the British public's steadfast support for nationalisation of utilities and key industries (in the face of ~5 decades of constant propaganda from successive governments of all stripes, and almost the entirety of the printed press and mass media) is one of them:

View: https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1783423253614047272

Of course the perennial disappointment is that, even with these polling figures showing broad and consistent support, actually getting a mainstream political party to commit to renationalising all of these is like pulling teeth.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
People almost always support essentials being public owned, including my tory and ukip voting dad.

They never vote for parties who will actually do it.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Tories going to force a no-confidence vote on the Scottish First Minister.

www.bbc.co.uk

Yousaf faces Holyrood questions after he scraps power-sharing deal with Greens

The Scottish Greens who played a role in Scotland's government for more than two years says the SNP has "sold out future generations".

I'm not sure how the Bute House Agreement being scrapped impacts this - I'd be surprised if the SNP would have done so without having a clear sense of whether the government could survive a no-confidence vote.

I've not looked at Holyrood polling for a while but I'm not sure the Tories would even keep their current seat number in an election.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The tories are in for a rude awakening if they think a weak SNP will benefit them and not Labour.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody I know thinks the Rwanda policy will work or be affordable and that includes the people I'd usually expect to support it.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, I can appreciate not being immediately aware of Goma being a city on the border with Rwanda, and the particulars on the genocide therein

On the other hand, dude clearly says they're 'warring with' Rwanda as an external party (which is not... strictly correct, but then the M23 Militia is very much understood to be backed by them), so how one wouldn't pick up from context that Goma must not be in Rwanda to be subject to such attacks, is... bewildering

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1783181689461596266?t=VgCO6seY7fS2vHzhFfJBpA&s=19

Nice glass of water you're drinking there. Shame if it were full of shit particles...

I'm still not sure why the hell Labour would do this?

Smart politics from the adults in the room, of course.

Tory voters, I think we'd all agree, like gigantic piles of shit.

Labour's only plan is to appeal to Tory voters.

ergo, more shit is good.

Having just done a bit of research it appears that the tweet is massively misleading as you might expect from that twitter account.

The amendment that was voted on was to add the Gas and Electricity Markets Authority, the Office of Communications and the Water Services Regulation Authority to the authorities listed under the pre-existing Economic Growth (Regulatory Functions) Order 2017. You can find the extensive list of authorities this already covered here. By my count 44 authorities already fell under this Order.

The long and short of it is that amending the existing order now means that the following applies to those three authorities:

(1) A person exercising a regulatory function to which this section applies must, in the exercise of the function, have regard to the desirability of promoting economic growth.

(2) In performing the duty under subsection (1), the person must, in particular, consider the importance for the promotion of economic growth of exercising the regulatory function in a way which ensures that—

(a)regulatory action is taken only when it is needed, and
(b)any action taken is proportionate.

If you read the initial Guardian article it contains a quote from Tim Farron, probably because it was the Lib Dems who forced a vote on this, and the CEO of an environment organisation who also just happens to be a Lib Dem as the only opposition to this vote. I'd also say the tweet was clearly trying to imply that this was a specific vote on water pollution which wasn't at all the case.

It seems to me that this doesn't materially weaken the regulator's ability to fine water companies for pollution nor have I seen a particular outrage from people I would expect if this was true beyond that one Guardian article and the misleading tweet from that account. For example, Caroline Lucas voted against the amendment but hasn't even mentioned it from what I can see. She was far more focused on the Renters Reform Bill that day.

Personally, I'm not a fan of deregulation and I don't see why any authority should require a regard for economic growth but the amendment wasn't about what the tweet suggested and while I disagree with the original legislation needing to exist in the first place I would say including the scope of it to more authorities isn't particularly controversial.

It probably says something that there wasn't a single Labour rebellion on this, even Diane Abbott voted in favour as an independent MP, while most of the Labour front bench (inc. Starmer) appear to have abstained.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If the locals are the disaster that the polls predict Sunak will likely call an election because the Tories will try to oust him anyway.

If the locals are better for the Tories than they expect then they will call an election hoping they have some momentum and to stem any losses further in the year.

That's my thinking. In both generous the locals would lead to sizeable chunks of the tories pushing for an election, be it a leadership one or a Westminster one.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
If the locals are the disaster that the polls predict Sunak will likely call an election because the Tories will try to oust him anyway.

If the locals are better for the Tories than they expect then they will call an election hoping they have some momentum and to stem any losses further in the year.

That's my thinking. In both generous the locals would lead to sizeable chunks of the tories pushing for an election, be it a leadership one or a Westminster one.

I'm still on Team January 2025 as I think indecision will take over and they'll just pray that the economy improves massively and something disastrous happens with Labour (which even then might not save them IMO).

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Having just done a bit of research it appears that the tweet is massively misleading as you might expect from that twitter account.

The amendment that was voted on was to add the Gas and Electricity Markets Authority, the Office of Communications and the Water Services Regulation Authority to the authorities listed under the pre-existing Economic Growth (Regulatory Functions) Order 2017. You can find the extensive list of authorities this already covered here. By my count 44 authorities already fell under this Order.

The long and short of it is that amending the existing order now means that the following applies to those three authorities:

If you read the initial Guardian article it contains a quote from Tim Farron, probably because it was the Lib Dems who forced a vote on this, and the CEO of an environment organisation who also just happens to be a Lib Dem as the only opposition to this vote. I'd also say the tweet was clearly trying to imply that this was a specific vote on water pollution which wasn't at all the case.

It seems to me that this doesn't materially weaken the regulator's ability to fine water companies for pollution nor have I seen a particular outrage from people I would expect if this was true beyond that one Guardian article and the misleading tweet from that account. For example, Caroline Lucas voted against the amendment but hasn't even mentioned it from what I can see. She was far more focused on the Renters Reform Bill that day.

Personally, I'm not a fan of deregulation and I don't see why any authority should require a regard for economic growth but the amendment wasn't about what the tweet suggested and while I disagree with the original legislation needing to exist in the first place I would say including the scope of it to more authorities isn't particularly controversial.

It probably says something that there wasn't a single Labour rebellion on this, even Diane Abbott voted in favour as an independent MP, while most of the Labour front bench (inc. Starmer) appear to have abstained.
It sounds like it only adds another hurdle for those authorities to take regulatory action, ergo it makes it harder for them to do so and therefore that tweet from LeftieStats is fair? (Although I agree it's a uselessly dishonest account in general)

Maybe it's too minor a point for anyone to get up in arms about, especially as it sounds like quite a difficult line for any politician to take, but it doesn't sound like a good thing for Labour to be voting for.

That said, I do wonder why folks like Abbott are voting for it

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
In Truss news, her book skyrocketed to 70th in the book charts and sold approximately 2000 copies in the U.K. lol