phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
BBC said:
Conservative Party chairman Richard Holden who we heard from earlier has also been speaking to BBC Breakfast.

He says his "heart goes out" to Tory colleagues who have lost their seats overnight.

"Overall a disappointing night for us but that's what you expect from parties in mid-term of government," he adds.

For "mid-term of government", read "on its death bed".

Lil Bee

Feb 13, 2024
It's grim but not quite that grim to be fair. If you reach age 75 you are expected to live another 12-13 years on average.

Edited to add I suspect you'd find that comes down once you essentially start forcing people to work until they're 75 though.

12-13 years of steadily losing your sight, your marbles, control of your bladder, your mobility.. All the time in the world to yourself and a body in it's last stages of life to make use of it with. Brilliant. It's a fucking shit deal no matter how you slice it.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
As Brotherhood says, pleasingly it's Indies (some of whom might be fash of course) and the greens are nearly trebling their count.

Aye, I've been a bit out the loop of anything that isn't job hunting for the past week and could've saved myself some mild embarrassment by actually checking the results before saying anything. The Poster's Curse got me.

But yeah, be curious to see what the actual breakdowns are. I haven't paid attention to the English Greens in a long while, but have they managed to deal witth the anti-trans nonsense that was stinking them up?

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
It looks increasingly like Rishi Sunak will survive

Tory rebels believed an alignment of three events was needed to get MPs over line for confidence vote:

1. Tories finishing third behind Reform in Blackpool South. In fact Tories scraped second with 117 votes.
2. Ben Houchen to lose Tees Valley despite getting 70%+ of vote in 2021. Labour is now conceding.
3. Andy Street to lose West Midlands. Labour sources suggesting he may have done enough to survive.

None of this is to underplay local election results - they are course to be among the worst the Tories have ever seen

It just means the Tories are much less likely to move onto their fifth prime minister in the space of five years

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
The mayoral elections kind of prove it's about disliking Tories more than liking labour.

Both of the Tory candidates in the two big races ( Houchen and Street ) pretended they aren't Tory. Hid party branding. Refused to associate publicly with tory mps. Seems to have paid off.

Edit: Like, watching the acceptance speech and Houchen still not wearing a blue ribbon or mentioning Tory party at all

Last edited:

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
yeah, there are a lot of people that still have to work because the state pension is shit.

Was the case when I worked in Tesco many years ago, probably has gotten worse.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
I agree that it's ridiculous to expect people to be working up til 75, it's just that there quite a few older people who still can't retire past 65 right now.

It will no doubt get worse as the years go on.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
My parents are both in the mid 60s with cancer and are really unable to work - Mum got her diagnosis just as she reached the current retirement age which took all the joy out of her retirement.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Again I'll ask, what jobs are the 70 year Olds going to do?

Are we just going to have record unemployment?

We have a few retirees work in my library. They left the workforce and decided to come back to have something to do. It's more like a hobby for them. They work very, very light shelving duties and reduced hours.

So, if every other university in the country does that it'll cover... ooh, a couple hundred people maybe? Best of luck to the other millions of people 70+ I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
We have a few retirees work in my library. They left the workforce and decided to come back to have something to do. It's more like a hobby for them. They work very, very light shelving duties and reduced hours.

So, if every other university in the country does that it'll cover... ooh, a couple hundred people maybe? Best of luck to the other millions of people 70+ I suppose.

This is what I mean, where are the literal millions of jobs that will be physically possible for all these older people to do going to come from? The Tories can't scapegoat them down the road for all the problems when millions are on welfare, who the hell will be left to vote for them?

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Cons have lost control of my local council. I live in a very safe Tory seat as well, it remained blue even in 97.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
So Khan wins London, and Labour have won a large portion of seats, with the Lib Dems coming in second….and this thread is silent?
www.resetera.com

UK Local Elections 2024, Thursday 2nd May

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68552707.amp You can find out if there's an election in your area by entering your postcode on the link above. Remember you will need photo ID or Voter Authority Certifcate in order to vote, thanks to the Tories' blatant attempt to suppress the vote...

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
www.resetera.com

UK Local Elections 2024, Thursday 2nd May

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68552707.amp You can find out if there's an election in your area by entering your postcode on the link above. Remember you will need photo ID or Voter Authority Certifcate in order to vote, thanks to the Tories' blatant attempt to suppress the vote...
This is something that should have been posted in this thread…for visibility 😐

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I'm not sure if I'm happier at the Tories losing that many or that Labour have completely failed to pick most of them up despite their aggressive cosplaying as tories program.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm happier at the Tories losing that many or that Labour have completely failed to pick most of them up despite their aggressive cosplaying as tories program.

Labour were never going to win in a huge amount of these seats. Don't get misled by some of the tory spin - this was a great night for Labour, and a truly terrible night for the Tories.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
Labour were never going to win in a huge amount of these seats. Don't get misled by some of the tory spin - this was a great night for Labour, and a truly terrible night for the Tories.

Yeah, the narrative is a bit odd. Labour have twice as many seats as any other party and have made significant gains across many NOC councils, this is a really emphatic result. I agree, people shouldn't take the Tory bait on this.

Edit: West Midlands - 'hold my beer'

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Where is this hung parliament stuff coming from?

Isn't that based off of (bad) assumptions that people will vote same way at GE as in the locals?

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
We're back to the 'coalition of chaos'. Brilliant.

Next up: Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong government with Rishi, or chaos with Keir Starmer

Where is this hung parliament stuff coming from?

Isn't that based off of (bad) assumptions that people will vote same way at GE as in the locals?
Yep, it's based off that Sky forecast that used the local election vote share which is almost bordering on fake news as it only accounts for the wards that were actually up for election, it assumes turnout and voting patterns are similar for a general election. If a proper polling company came up with that it would seriously harm their reputation. Everyone knows it's a load of bollocks but it won't stop the Tories pushing it.